Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
23,021 - 23,040 of 31,195 Comments Last updated 15 hrs ago
tit for tat

Girard, OH

#23419 Feb 13, 2013
Blah wrote:
So much gloom and doom on this thread...
I wanted to check out topix due to a co-worker mentioning it. It seems like four or five people relentlessly bickering.
This is the yin for the yang we all get to witness every two weeks in the form of bad for boro union b####ches in the boardroom selfishness.
The Duke of Hazard

Lewisburg, OH

#23420 Feb 13, 2013
I'd give a tat for a tit!
Good News

Piqua, OH

#23421 Feb 13, 2013
tit for tat wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the yin for the yang we all get to witness every two weeks in the form of bad for boro union b####ches in the boardroom selfishness.
Those attending school board meetings and watching the TV broadcasts can be encouraged that our BOE does listen to what we have to say! Check on the school website to find BOE briefings on changing the structure of our board meetings, now holding the business meeting first in the LGI room; and the work session in the media room afterwards. The public will still get to participate in both sessions. But, the work sessions may not be so drawn out; since the agenda items presented will not be voted on the same night; but two weeks later at following regularly scheduled business meeting.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23422 Feb 13, 2013
NEW HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL!!

We watched high school principal Dennis Prager of Colorado, along with Sara Palin and Tom Brokaw, on TV a couple of weeks ago....what a dynamic, down to earth speaker. Even though Palin and Brokaw were also guest speakers they did little but nod and agree with him. This is the guy that should be running for President in 2016!

A Speech Every American High School Principal Should Give.
By Dennis Prager .

To the students and faculty of our high school:

I am your new principal, and honored to be so.
There is no greater calling than to teach young people.

I would like to apprise you of some important changes coming to our school. I am making these changes because I am convinced that most of the ideas that have dominated public education in America have worked against you, against your teachers and against our country.

First, this school will no longer honor race or ethnicity.
I could not care less if your racial makeup is black, brown, red, yellow or white. I could not care less if your origins are African, Latin American, Asian or European, or if your ancestors arrived here on the Mayflower or on slave ships. The only identity I care about, the only one this school will recognize, is your individual identity -- your character, your scholarship, your humanity. And the only national identity this school will care about is American.

This is an American public school, and American public schools were created to make better Americans. If you wish to affirm an ethnic, racial or religious identity through school, you will have to go elsewhere. We will end all ethnicity, race and non-American nationality-based celebrations. They undermine the motto of America, one of its three central values -- epluribus Unum, "from many, one."
And this school will be guided by America's values. This includes all after-school clubs. I will not authorize clubs that divide students based on any identities. This includes race, language, religion, sexual orientation or whatever else may become in vogue in a society divided by political correctness.

Your clubs will be based on interests and passions, not blood, ethnic, racial or other physically defined ties. Those clubs just cultivate narcissism -- an unhealthy preoccupation with the self -- while the purpose of education is to get you to think beyond yourself. So we will have clubs that transport you to the wonders and glories of art, music, astronomy, languages you do not already speak, carpentry and more. If the only extracurricular activities you can imagine being interested in are those based on ethnic, racial or sexual identity, that means that little outside of yourself really interests you.

Second, I am uninterested in whether English is your native language.
My only interest in terms of language is that you leave this school speaking and writing English as fluently as possible. The English language has united America's citizens for over 200 years, and it will unite us at this school. It is one of the indispensable reasons this country of immigrants has always come to be one country. And if you leave this school without excellent English language skills, I would be remiss in my duty to ensure that you will be prepared to successfully compete in the American job market. We will learn other languages here -- it is deplorable that most Americans only speak English -- but if you want classes taught in your native language rather than in English, this is not your school.

Third, because I regard learning as a sacred endeavor, everything in this school will reflect learning's elevated status. This means, among other things, that you and your teachers will dress accordingly. Many people in our society dress more formally for Hollywood events than for church or school. These people have their priorities backward. Therefore, there will be a formal dress code at this school.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23423 Feb 13, 2013
Fourth, no obscene language will be tolerated anywhere on this school's property -- whether in class, in the hallways or at athletic events. If you can't speak without using the f -word, you can't speak. By obscene language I mean the words banned by the Federal Communications Commission, plus epithets such as "N...gger," even when used by one black student to address another black, or "B...tch," even when addressed by a girl to a girlfriend. It is my intent that by the time you leave this school, you will be among the few your age to instinctively distinguish between the elevated and the degraded, the holy and the obscene.

Fifth, we will end all self-esteem programs. In this school, self-esteem will be attained in only one way -- the way people attained it until decided otherwise a generation ago -- by earning it. One immediate consequence is that there will be one valedictorian, not eight.

Sixth, and last, I am reorienting the school toward academics and away from politics and propaganda. No more time will be devoted to scaring you about smoking and caffeine, or terrifying you about sexual harassment or global warming. No more semesters will be devoted to condom wearing and teaching you to regard sexual relations as only or primarily a health issue... There will be no more attempts to convince you that you are a victim because you are not white, or not male, or not heterosexual or not Christian. We will have failed if any one of you graduates this school and does not consider him or herself inordinately fortunate -- to be alive and to be an American.
Now, please stand and join me in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country. As many of you do not know the words, your teachers will hand them out to you.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23424 Feb 13, 2013
Dennis Prager is a radio talk show host suggesting a few things for Americans.
Common sense stuff, but seemingly lost today.
Do You Understand

Piqua, OH

#23425 Feb 13, 2013
Is the Illusion of Excellence Harmful?

Districts love to point to their fine report card rating as evidence of high performance. Real estate agents love to tout those excellent ratings as proof that a home in the community is a good value. But at some point, Ohioans may want to take a serious look at what is really happening in their school districts. Parents and taxpayers need to know that “excellent” may not be as advertised. It is a disservice to the general public, to parents and especially to children when we pretend that more and more districts are doing a stellar job, when they are not. The stakes are much higher than they are for 1st grade soccer players, who are all superstars. Policymakers must acknowledge that there are serious flaws in an evaluation system that says that the majority of districts are doing excellent work, when all of the data comparing Ohio students nationally and internationally paint a very different picture.

A major disconnect exists when Ohio’s standards suggest that 51.7% of 8th graders are performing at an accelerated or advanced level in reading and the national data suggest that only a small fraction of these 8th graders are anywhere near an advanced level.
tit for tat

Girard, OH

#23426 Feb 14, 2013
Good News wrote:
<quoted text>
Those attending school board meetings and watching the TV broadcasts can be encouraged that our BOE does listen to what we have to say! Check on the school website to find BOE briefings on changing the structure of our board meetings, now holding the business meeting first in the LGI room; and the work session in the media room afterwards. The public will still get to participate in both sessions. But, the work sessions may not be so drawn out; since the agenda items presented will not be voted on the same night; but two weeks later at following regularly scheduled business meeting.
Im good with it .....so long as they wont cave to the union bi###es' incessent attitute of greed.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23427 Feb 14, 2013
Finally received a visit from our company's insurance man, our per family plan went up 16% with a $2500 deductible per family member and a $5000 per family deductible. Then our 80/20 kicks in to pay for catastrophic occurrences. We agreed to raise our deductible to $3000 per family member and saw an actual decrease in premiums. Even with that, we still pay $11,500 per family per year.

Times are tough, when one is spending one's own money one makes choices that make sense for them.

When spending other people's money, money suddenly becomes no object.
No Special Privileges

Piqua, OH

#23428 Feb 14, 2013
tit for tat wrote:
<quoted text>
Im good with it .....so long as they wont cave to the union bi###es' incessent attitute of greed.
Totally Agree! No more special privileges for our community bullies/union activists! We just have to review the by-laws and policies that our board has set forth for public participation; that our public comments are to be directed toward discussion/opinions on the agenda items and issues; and NOT toward attacking character of others. We just have to hold the board accountable to applying these community-wide expectations to the grandstandng of these bullies; who feel they are empowered with special privileges (mainly because they are the chosen few of the superintenent's new district parent council) to ram their bad babb for boro/bowman political agenda down the throats of those attending public board meetings: as happened over and over during the past year; and now continues during the January 10, 2013, and January 22, 2013 public school board business meetings and work sessions.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23429 Feb 14, 2013
Interesting that it was ok for Mr Rigano and Petroni to ram their agenda down the Board's throats before they were elected!
Just Not True

Piqua, OH

#23430 Feb 14, 2013
Lurker wrote:
Interesting that it was ok for Mr Rigano and Petroni to ram their agenda down the Board's throats before they were elected!
Not at all interesting. Just Not True.

But you already know the truth about yourself; just not wasting my time trying to educate you.
SOS to SEA

Piqua, OH

#23431 Feb 14, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Finally received a visit from our company's insurance man, our per family plan went up 16% with a $2500 deductible per family member and a $5000 per family deductible. Then our 80/20 kicks in to pay for catastrophic occurrences. We agreed to raise our deductible to $3000 per family member and saw an actual decrease in premiums. Even with that, we still pay $11,500 per family per year.
Times are tough, when one is spending one's own money one makes choices that make sense for them.
When spending other people's money, money suddenly becomes no object.
Isn't it time for our SEA president to say thank you to Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners, who pay such generous salaries and benefits to our school employees, even during these tough economic times when costs for our own families' basic needs are skyrocketing; our property values are going down; and our salaries are not going up?
if you wish upon a star

Dayton, OH

#23432 Feb 14, 2013
It's a shame folks aren't as focused on the corruption in the township as they are about the school board. Both concerns cost to the citizens of the Springboro area.
Select B-Ball

Milford, OH

#23433 Feb 14, 2013
SOS to SEA wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it time for our SEA president to say thank you to Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners, who pay such generous salaries and benefits to our school employees, even during these tough economic times when costs for our own families' basic needs are skyrocketing; our property values are going down; and our salaries are not going up?
These generous salaries you constantly speak of is getting annoying. Our teachers don't come close to getting paid what others around the state do. Check out the opportunity Ohio website. Springboro isn't even contributing its fair share to public education in their town. Read the CUPP report on the ODE website. I feel sad that public school teachers are looked so down upon, calling them greedy and thugs is ridiculous. We need to stop thinking public schools are businesses, fact is they are not, they do not generate revenue and are paid for by taxes. People who want a strong community should pay their fair share and quit looking for excuses and someone to blame becuase their jobs aren't making them happy.
reality

Girard, OH

#23434 Feb 14, 2013
Do You Understand wrote:
Is the Illusion of Excellence Harmful?

Districts love to point to their fine report card rating as evidence of high performance. Ohioans may want to take a serious look at what is really happening in their school districts. Parents and taxpayers need to know that “excellent” may not be as advertised. Policymakers must acknowledge that there are serious flaws in an evaluation system that says that the majority of districts are doing excellent work, when all of the data comparing Ohio students nationally and internationally paint a very different picture.

A major disconnect exists when Ohio’s standards suggest that 51.7% of 8th graders are performing at an accelerated or advanced level in reading and the national data suggest that only a small fraction of these 8th graders are anywhere near an advanced level.
DYU, be careful how you illustrate this truth.
This truth can do much to degrade pride and self esteem of that minority of pretentious board-bashing parents, especially when their "Excellent" kids enroll in college only to discover their Springboro Schools education wasn't nearly as "Excellent" of an education as it was cracked up to be.
Problems

Loveland, OH

#23435 Feb 14, 2013
So many of the issues mentioned seem to be driven by the states current system. I'm thinking instead of bashing the board and our teachers we should call/write our local officials. I say find a way to pay the teachers a respectable wage and keep them accountable, control spending so that funds are properly used to help educate our students, and work together as a community to raise the bar in Springboro. Most of the people I know in Warren county talk about what a joke our community is due to "rich people" not getting along. We all know this isn't true, so lets work together to fix these problems and stop the bashing, propaganda, and bad will towards each other.
Boro Mom

Loveland, OH

#23436 Feb 14, 2013
I wish there were more positive things about our schools on here and in the news. It's a shame the way the kids have to see their parents, teachers, and community leaders behave.
Solutions

Piqua, OH

#23437 Feb 14, 2013
Problems wrote:
So many of the issues mentioned seem to be driven by the states current system. I'm thinking instead of bashing the board and our teachers we should call/write our local officials. I say find a way to pay the teachers a respectable wage and keep them accountable, control spending so that funds are properly used to help educate our students, and work together as a community to raise the bar in Springboro. Most of the people I know in Warren county talk about what a joke our community is due to "rich people" not getting along. We all know this isn't true, so lets work together to fix these problems and stop the bashing, propaganda, and bad will towards each other.
You will need to take your problems to the few people who are actually bashing the board, including David Bowman, who spewed out his ugliness and false accusations against the board, once again, in front of community members at the board meeting tonight.
Haven't heard people bashing teachers; but teachers were among those at the meeting tonight agreeing with Mr. Bowman's false accusations, talking back to board members. Repeatedly, board members (and our superintendent) have encouraged community members to call or e-mail whatever questions or concerns that need to be addressed; but Mr. Bowman continues grandstanding his agenda to discredit the good work that our board is doing; calling attention to his opinion that he sees no value in the good work for our school children that is being accomplished by our school board and school district leadership.
Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners are proud of our good schools and our school employees; and grateful for the quality education that our school board and school district leadership are providing for our students, while living within our community financial resources.
Schooling

Springboro, OH

#23438 Feb 15, 2013
Select B-Ball wrote:
<quoted text>
These generous salaries you constantly speak of is getting annoying. Our teachers don't come close to getting paid what others around the state do. Check out the opportunity Ohio website. Springboro isn't even contributing its fair share to public education in their town. Read the CUPP report on the ODE website. I feel sad that public school teachers are looked so down upon, calling them greedy and thugs is ridiculous. We need to stop thinking public schools are businesses, fact is they are not, they do not generate revenue and are paid for by taxes. People who want a strong community should pay their fair share and quit looking for excuses and someone to blame becuase their jobs aren't making them happy.
Sure, lets compare ourselves to other failing schools. I wanna be like them. If our are paid so poorly why do we have hundreds of applicants per position? NFSS has Dave Baker on a video on their web site saying "they line to come work here". Maybe we should consider paying less.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Truthforthought 18,871
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 hr Old Guy 30,507
This is why I am an Ann Fan! 9 hr Hero Officer Wilson 2
Found dog! (Dec '13) Wed Hero Officer Wilson 7
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! Aug 27 Gun Nut 38
Robert Browning- Sexual Pedophile (Oct '09) Aug 27 Beth Myers 18
Be respectful Aug 26 Mike Brown High C... 2
•••
•••
•••

Centerville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Centerville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Centerville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Centerville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••