Pregnant mom accused in stabbing due ...

Pregnant mom accused in stabbing due in court -

There are 64 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 18, 2007, titled Pregnant mom accused in stabbing due in court -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Shantelle Scruggs, who allegedly stabbed to death a pregnant woman in a North Bay Shore homeless center earlier this month, faces arraignment Tuesday in Riverhead on a grand jury indictment, prosecutors said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ms Lady

Central Islip, NY

#96 Sep 21, 2007
Neutral wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a shame what we are taught to believe about people that the only information we have is what we hear or see in the papers.
Bill Clinton started this program called Welfare to Work a about 5 years ago. No matter how many babies a woman or man has, only 2 (two) go on a budget. One can have 30 kids, only 2 (two) get support. Do you want to know what the support amount is? I'll tell you.$109 a month cash,$257 a month food stamps,$315 a month for rent, that's in NY. With the prices so high for everything here, it's physically impossible for anybody to live off that money. That's why most people who were on welfare are not on anymore, first of all you could only be on for 12 months before you had to either go to one of the programs for job training or work at one of the WEP assignment sites for your check. The changes that a person had to go through to get the little bit of change that welfare is giving up, most people said forget it and find a job on their own. Get day care and go to work. That's what most people have done.
I agree that some years ago welfare was the way to go for some people, but times have changed and it is just not like that anymore. It doesn't matter what race a person is, I see it all, come and go everyday. Most people are finally fed-up with being treated like beggers just because they are having tough times right now, they would rather go pick-up cans and cash them in, stand on food pantry lines, sleep in shelters, then go through the frustration at the welfare office. So don't think that being on welfare is a picnic, people go through it with the agency because they have to, not because they want to.
Neutral, I do agree. But the problem is Wefare is suppose to be a temporary thing and people stay on it forever. Yes it is suppose to be, after 5 years, no more public assistant. But with the homeless population it is different.(Take it from someone who has been working with homeless familys for 10 years). It is not easy being on walfare, but that should not stop the people who is more then able to get up off their butts and get a JOB to do something with their lives other then having babies. I deal with this everyday and you know what? People would get their hair and nails done before they put food on the table for their families. So it should be hard to get walfare. I am sorry that the good have to suffer for the bad, but this is life.
barney google

New York, NY

#97 Sep 21, 2007
Defense will be (PROBABLY BY Siben & Siben, et al ) that the victim got in the way of the knife, if she was not in the way, she would not have gotten stabbed, right.....
THE STORK

Bronx, NY

#98 Sep 21, 2007
JMW wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know the whole story. Shantelle lived up here in Buffalo with the white father. He has a full time job and was supporting her and the twins. He is a kind, sweet young man. She was supposed to get mental health counseling for post partum depression, refused, then found out she was pregnant again. She ran away back to her mother's home in NYC. She ran away again and went to the shelter. Don't blame everything on welfare or being homeless. Shelters and welfare are there for those who need the temporary help. The blame in this case isn't poverty: the blame falls squarely on the person who commited the crime. She was presented with proper help last year when the babies were a few months old. She refused help.
I'm a friend of the twins' grandmother. How do you think we feel? We welcomed Shantelle with a baby shower, gave her hugs, gifts, and love.
well thanks for the whole story I will pray for all of you and there is always help if the family needs it to deal with it all through our church victorious overcomers program they do have it in other churches too! it's not just for addictions of any kind it's for whatever you need to overcome. even the feelings inside that need to come out from down deep inside that can haunt you. I know I have been there it is a personal kind of hell. if you need prayer in addition to mine for you and your family call our prayer line at 1-866-88FAITH HAVE A BLESSED DAY MY FRIEND!! SORRY ABOUT IT ALL.
Shy

Brooklyn, NY

#99 Jul 3, 2014
The most people on food and having kids on drugs are white people and the the first to judge you can't judge everybody because of one people mistake ok white people y'all the one food stamp anyways so shut up

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centereach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Fri joespizza 1,416
In need of a Certified Pool Operator asap Fri Mknight 1
News Police raid Napper Tandy's pub in Miller Place (Jun '07) Thu Facepunch Grandpa 130
Brentwood,Long Island, New York (Apr '06) Jun 23 Hoffman68 1,162
News E. Islip named in list of top suburbs (May '07) Jun 23 look into it 261
News Bay Shore Marina parking meters begin operation... Jun 23 look into it 3
all drownings (Jun '07) Jun 22 Lorraine short 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Centereach Mortgages