Centereach home burnt to a shell Thur...

Centereach home burnt to a shell Thursday -

There are 126 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 27, 2007, titled Centereach home burnt to a shell Thursday -. In it, Newsday reports that:

A Centereach home was burnt to a shell Thursday morning, leaving one family with almost nothing but the clothes on their back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

2nd citizen against arson

Baldwin, NY

#110 Oct 6, 2007
citizen against arson wrote:
<quoted text>
waahh, waaahhhh. the facts were stated and straight. the statements made by the neighbors to the investigators were him saying to them that the bitch wasn't getting the house. Bill didn't call her one, the husband did. It became Bill's business when some "a$#$hole" set a house on fire. He reacted to the fire by waking up at 515 am to go put it out, as described in his previous posts. Of which l've read through again, and he never said he would or wouldn't do this or that,(except for maybe indirectly hinting he wouldn't set a house on fire...), but merely pointed out another commonly known but peculiar fact that there were no cars in the driveway, yet several parked in the road. Guess you'll be on the total shock bandwagon when there is an arrest made, too. thanks
.......and don't forget that he removed all his tools from the garage and put them in his truck which he then parked on the street
Neighbor

Port Washington, NY

#111 Oct 6, 2007
I would just like to state for the record that I live behind these people. My house is right next to their through lot and there is NO FIRE HYDRANT on our street! It was not an alternative for Sarah to scream to the firemen because there isn't a hydrant on the road that the back of their house is on.
Sarah Lombardi

Port Washington, NY

#112 Oct 10, 2007
Well, to those of you I've walked and found fire hydrants, there are none on my street. The nearest to me is around the corner and there is one on Booth, behind that man's house. Fire Marshalls came to my house yesterday, I have pictures from 5:28 A.M. They printed them out so expect to see them? There was also a gasoline tank found in the woods near their house. Their deck was a Trex deck, which is inflammable. And as to the divorce thing.. a neighbor claimed that the man said to him that if his wife was to get the house in the divorce he'd burn it down before she got it. we'll know soon. but as discussed with the marshalls, they agree that the fire department was slow. im glad that there are people out there to protect us, but they were slow.
duh

Baldwin, NY

#113 Oct 10, 2007
We all know why it took 16 minutes to get there. We've discussed the time of day that the arson took place. The responders had to wake up, get dressed, go to their respective stations and board the trucks. Actually 16 minutes is pretty fast! According to the arson investigators, it wouldn't have mattered if they got there faster as this fire was intentionally set by an angry husband on verge of divorce, who had previously made threatening comments. So, your pictures at 5:28am will just help convict your neighbor of arson and possibly attempted murder.
duh

Baldwin, NY

#114 Oct 10, 2007
and you should take a walk again...Booth St. is not in his backyard... St James Street is.
Bill

AOL

#115 Oct 11, 2007
Sarah, l'm not quite sure what you mean by a Trex deck being inflammable? if you look at the pictures, there is hardly anything closely resembling a deck left. And Mr S himself said that the flames were coming from his deck. since you seem to be interested in facts, give me your phone number. l'll call you at 5am one day next week, and let's see how long it takes you to get up, get dressed, go to the fire house, get on all your gear, get in the truck and get back to your house. bet you can't do it in 16 minutes... you're listening to the Fire Marshall say we were slow? let's see, the fire was 13 days ago when they showed up?
Sarah Lombardi

Port Washington, NY

#116 Oct 11, 2007
Ok, Mr. Know It All, I was incorrect, Booth is a side street inbetween Gaynor and Lynbrook, and so is St. James, its still really close, definately not 3 blocks away. but you live in Lake Grove, so how about you come and take a walk?

And I know we discussed times already. I have been busy and posted the stuff discussed on Tuesday with investigators. I am glad that my pictures can be of help.
DUH

Baldwin, NY

#117 Oct 11, 2007
Been there, done that...a couple of times. I was there at the fire.
DUH

Baldwin, NY

#118 Oct 11, 2007
I was just unsure as to why you would announce your cooperation with the arson investigators.
blah blah blah

AOL

#119 Oct 26, 2007
Does anyone know if the arsonist is going to get away with this? Any word on an impending arrest? Figures...l get a ticket for talking on the phone and this a sshole burns down his house and damages his nieghbors and nothing.... insurance will pay him off and he'll get a bigger and better house. only in America
neighbor

Forest Hills, NY

#120 Mar 8, 2008
As of now the lot is empty, there's still yellow tape up and its basically become the creepy lot on the block. theres been really no word around here as what happened, but they removed the house, and all thats left is the pool, shed and the basement. they fixed the siding on the neighbors house that melted from the fire. last i heard, and dont crucify me for saying this, but it was indeed arson.

i study forensics, i took an arson class, trex deck is a special type of material intended to be outside around BBQ's and was made inflammable, thats why, since it was on fire and disappeared, the use of an accelerator had to be used. thats what ive learned. once again, dont hang me for writing that.
Forensic Accountant

Bronx, NY

#121 Mar 10, 2008
Granted, I did not take the "arson class" like "neighbor" in Ronkonkoma, however, I have worked my fair share of investigations of house fires.

1. A trex deck will completely be consumed if the fire has reached full capacity. Nothing and I mean nothing is fire proof.

2. As for the volles not taking immediate action upon arrival - Well, they have a job to follow, they must meet certain safety criteria and if I am not mistaken, if a house is fully engulfed in flames, their priority turns to saving and preventing that fire from spreading, i.e. focusing on neighbors homes and property.

3. If the house fire was set by the homeowner, or a third party arsonist, an accelerator would only determine how the fire started, it does not reveal who caused the fire. Should the fire be deemed to have started in a means that is unknown or with criminal intent, then the insurance company and ADA will contact a forensic accountant such as myself in order to determine if a financial motive existed.

In the mean time, the family I am sure has suffered and continues to do so, regardless of the reason. Let us think of that.
ghetto dweller

Baldwin, NY

#122 Mar 15, 2008
Hi All!
I'm a ghetto dweller living on Oxhead Road. My child goes to a private school and my husband and I both have advanced degrees in engineering. I guess ghetto dwellers ain't what they used to be, huh?
Also, here we are in March and still no claims of arson on that house that burned down. Hmmm. How long does an investigation take in these ghetto parts?
Forensic Accountant

Bronx, NY

#123 Mar 15, 2008
Dear Ghetto Dweller: I agree, I live in the slums of Centereach lol
ghetto dweller

Baldwin, NY

#124 Mar 16, 2008
I can only surmise that the posters who used the term "ghetto" haven't been in these parts within the last 10 years.
I would also say that the posters may be a bit...should I say it??? Racist??
Maggie

Ridgewood, NY

#125 Jun 12, 2008
About a month after the incident I was walking down the path next near those peopel's home, well, what used to be it. I found containers of empty kerosene (spelling?) I called the arson squad and they came and got them, but I never found out anything. A couple of days ago though I was in my frontyard mowing and I saw the wife and their oldest son visiting what used to be their house, it was sad. Then a couple days later, the husband (accused arsonist) came and was mowing the yard, maybe theyre getting ready to rebuild or sell?
Gretel

Middle Island, NY

#126 Jun 19, 2008
Ok really do you people not have a life???? If you need something to do you can either start to rebuild this poor families home or go volunter at the hospital or something. Did this faimly not suffer enough??? Who really cares how it started or why??? Two little boys watched there house burn down and all of their favorite toys are now gone!!! Do any of you think about them as you are all speculating as to who did this. Really this neighborhood needs to stop with the gossip. That is what makes a neighborhood "gehtto". This poor family has not had a place to live for almost a year. It has just been one thing after another for them. Having to pay for a place to live while still having to pay for a place that is not even there any more. Can you imagine how the kids feel about that as you seat in your comfy home infront of your computer? The family is trying very hard to deal with what happened to and to move on. When they finially return to the home I really hope that everyone welcomes them back and does not treat them like they are quarentined. Have of what was written on this blog was not true. Nothing it fire proof no matter what it says. If the police can not figure out what happened then neither can any of you! None of you talked to this family before it happened and now you all want to be the nosie neighbors! That is disgusting!
Lilly

Middle Island, NY

#127 Jun 19, 2008
Finally, someone to say something compassionate about this poor family. Having two sons of my own I can only imagine the devastation of watching your house burn down right in front of your eyes. Of losing everything near and dear to you whether it be a toy, family photos or all your clothing. People should put themselves in this families shoes for just one minute before they pass judgement and throw stones. Maybe after taking the 5-10 minutes to comment on everything you know about this fire you could take another 10 seconds, bow your head and say a little prayer for this family that they might get a place to call "Home" one day soon.
ghetto dweller

Yonkers, NY

#128 Jun 23, 2008
I think it would be really awesome that once they are back in their home, we (the people who live in the area) do a fund raiser to help the family - get new toys, appliances, etc. Maybe donations of unused stuff - I don't know.
Does anyone know if they had good insurance to cover the necessities?
MEDIC

Levittown, NY

#129 Jul 9, 2008
neighbor on gaynor wrote:
THe house was not engilfed at 5:15. I witnessed the scene until I evacuated at 5:30- Big fire on the deck, but the house wasn't on fire at that point. It certainly didn't seem to be a lost cause by 5:30.
Can someone explain why no one thought to wet the house next door? THe vinyl siding melted off, seems like the fire could easily have spread.
THAT WAS HEAT DAMAGE FROM THE FIRE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centereach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hookups in sayville 22 hr sayville16 1
News Islip OKs tax breaks for B & S Fragrances & Cos... Fri true independent 1
Review: Long Island Academy Of Dance (Oct '08) Jul 20 dancer 14
News Islip, citing finances, moves on $10M in bonds ... Jul 18 rabid tabby 7
Centereach moms (Oct '10) Jul 11 WilkieLandscaping 5
Review: Joey B Plumbing & Heating Inc (Jul '10) May '16 kris 5
Janine....Tsk, tsk. (Feb '13) Apr '16 janinemazz 3

Centereach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance