Verizon Fios vs Optimum on line

Posted in the Centereach Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
kevin

Hampton Bays, NY

#1 Mar 30, 2008
I've had both and my conclusion is that a phone company should stay in the phone biz and a cable T.V. company should stay in the cable T.V. biz. Both companies try to sell you a bundle of phone, TV & Internet service giving 2 good services & 1 lacking service. Both companies have good Internet service. Verizon has good phone & Internet but there is to many boxes & gadgets for the TV service and the TVs go on & off by themselves. Opt online has great TV and Internet but their phone service is terrible, if you need to accept collect calls from a child or institutionalized relative forget it, salesmen will tell you can but nobody knows how to set it up. I'm about ready to cancel all & use my cell phone. Whats your experience ?
justchuck

Rockaway Park, NY

#2 Apr 20, 2008
Verizon is a rip off. There all all kinds of fees and taxes added to the bill. Plus, they charge extra for each HD box. The price you think you're getting is not the price you're getting. Definately avoid Verizon if you have a Samsung DLP TV. The Motorola boxes they use have some kind of "hardware handshaking" problem with Samsung DLPs, and your HDMI connection will freuently fail. This means you will need to use component cables instead of HDMI if you have Samsung and FiOS. The lower picture and sound quality through the components cables kind of kills the whole point spending all that money on an HD TV. Not sure about Samsumg LCDs or Plasmas, but Google the problem it first if buying a Samsung or switching to Verizon.
On the plus side, for about the same price you can get more channels with Verizon, a better picture, and better sound. But that's only when it's all working. To me, it is not worth the aggravation of rebooting the box and unplugging the TV several times per week.
beatles1

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Nov 23, 2008
umm ok... justchuck im srry but i think ur rele so angry that ur just discouraging ppl to not buy fios. now i havent heard anything about this DLP problem but i hav a samsung LCD and it works perfectly w/verizon HD. acctually ive seen optimum's HD and it comes out kinda scratchy but verizons HD comes out crystal clear with the included HD plug and ur also getting fiber-optic cables in ur street telephone lines. verizon will also soon be offering a 3GB/sec internet speed which is fantastic for buisnesses. regular verizon fios internet is also very fast especially for online gaming use. the telephone is probably the best, its got caller ID telling the name of the caller (ex. 555-555-5555_John Smith_NY) if its a landline, and it tells area of caller and cell # if caller is on a cellphone. over-all u get what u pay for but optimum is rele the best if ur looking for a service that rele isnt that bad but id have to say that verizon is better but optimum is second up because it cheaper if ur not gonna but all the movie channels and on demand stuff.

pros of verizon: lots of extra stuff for what ur paying like wigets that let you see the weather forecast, traffic, and tons more, free on demand movies and shows, great HD sound and picture, very fast internet, amazing phone quality
cons of verizon: some glitches with the tv like sometimes it wont rewind for no reason(doesnt happen often just on channel 504)and internet pop-ups that u can just unsubscribe from which is just a simple click and theyre gone.

pros of optimum:cheap if u dont want all the channels, pretty fast internet if u have a high speed router.
cons of optimum: many extra things u need to get fast internet and good tv. not as many tv features as verizon. horrible phone service that u have to look at the tv to see whos calling.
Rek

Centerport, NY

#4 Jan 20, 2009
beatles1 wrote:
umm ok... justchuck im srry but i think ur rele so angry that ur just discouraging ppl to not buy fios. now i havent heard anything about this DLP problem but i hav a samsung LCD and it works perfectly w/verizon HD. acctually ive seen optimum's HD and it comes out kinda scratchy but verizons HD comes out crystal clear with the included HD plug and ur also getting fiber-optic cables in ur street telephone lines. verizon will also soon be offering a 3GB/sec internet speed which is fantastic for buisnesses. regular verizon fios internet is also very fast especially for online gaming use. the telephone is probably the best, its got caller ID telling the name of the caller (ex. 555-555-5555_John Smith_NY) if its a landline, and it tells area of caller and cell # if caller is on a cellphone. over-all u get what u pay for but optimum is rele the best if ur looking for a service that rele isnt that bad but id have to say that verizon is better but optimum is second up because it cheaper if ur not gonna but all the movie channels and on demand stuff.
pros of verizon: lots of extra stuff for what ur paying like wigets that let you see the weather forecast, traffic, and tons more, free on demand movies and shows, great HD sound and picture, very fast internet, amazing phone quality
cons of verizon: some glitches with the tv like sometimes it wont rewind for no reason(doesnt happen often just on channel 504)and internet pop-ups that u can just unsubscribe from which is just a simple click and theyre gone.
pros of optimum:cheap if u dont want all the channels, pretty fast internet if u have a high speed router.
cons of optimum: many extra things u need to get fast internet and good tv. not as many tv features as verizon. horrible phone service that u have to look at the tv to see whos calling.
Wow.... you call being able to see who is calling while your sitting at the TV a con? I love seeing that so I dont have to walk to my phone to check it to see who is calling. What does "many extra things u need to get fast internet and good tv." mean? Don't make up stuff just spit it out. Horrible attempt to try to list cons. At least meantion optimums great customer service as a pro. If I ever call them the proms on the phone are simple to follow to get a live person and the people are all very helpful and polite. I have had to call them one or more times than I'd care to because of my internet dropping out. Figured out its my splitter and I could just bring it in to one of their offices and they gave me 2 places to go with different hours incase. Thought they gave good service. Ive had Verizon and I do think they offer more and there HD is slightly better depends on your tv as well but god forbid u try to call customer service. Not all of them seem experianced or professional needing to transfer me so many times when I lost internet for some reason and asking me so many questions some didn't even seem relevent to what I was asking. Well thats my 2 cents. Both good go with optimum for great service that gives you local news with outstanding customer service or go with Verizon with slightly better service (unnoticeable in my opinion) with really bad customer service.
dabro1012

Huntington Station, NY

#5 Mar 20, 2009
are you kidding me i agree with kevin because there two good companys going head to head
Omar

AOL

#6 Mar 30, 2009
I just switched after many years with cablevision way before they had the tripple play..and the one thing that had me switch over to Verizon Fios..was that with Cablevision the system was always going down and there went my phone connection..I could care less if the tv or internet goes down..but I need my phone..so just for that I switched and I am amazed at all the HD channels Fios gives..without a doubt the picture is better..and the internet is faster and if the power goes..my phone is good for 8 hrs..so hey..will give them a chance for one year and see..
O.
Babylon

West Haverstraw, NY

#7 May 12, 2009
No experience with Fios but Im looking at it.
I have the triple play from cable for over 1 year which includes Phone, Internet & TV.

Cable offers great customer service, and theres never been a problem with the phones going out, I just hooked up my modem to a UPS battery backup and when the power went down, it kicked in, keeping the phones alive. Call forwarding, blocking, ID waiting, ALL FREE with Cable & features can be turned on and off via the internet or keypad. The TV reception is good, very clear & HD is all free.
What started me looking at Verizon is the Internet. Optimum used to be lightnining fast, I have boost service, which gave me 28-33 down any time of day. Since 4/1/09, it took a drastic turn for the worst, early AM and nights is when it runs fastest, in the day, it slows down to 8 Mbs from its prior 30 Mbs anytime. the 5Mbs upstream remain constant.
Has anyone with optimum experienced a slow down in speed, if so, keep complaining about it. One or 2 persons they could'nt care less but if enough complaints were filed, they will act and act fast to avoid losing buisness.
Maryanns

AOL

#8 May 12, 2009
I had originally asked about fios vs cable and since there were so many pros and cons for each of them,I decided that I would go with cable 1st since there is no contract and then if I'm not satisfied with it,I will switch to Fios.
james

Oak Ridge, NJ

#9 May 24, 2009
overall their both great companies, but i have to say that verizon has a better phone and t.v service. cable has a better online service, especially with their ultra pakage with bandwidth limits of 101 Mbit/s downward and 15 Mbit/s upward for $99.95/month. cable definitely has the faster internet service
vzn

Mahopac, NY

#10 Jul 17, 2009
Verizon is awsome, and fios customer service is top (most times), verizon lacks customer support in the "copper" part of their business...all their energy is into fios (its the future). People complain about the billing/fee's/taxes...but that is the LAW, because they are regulated, and have to structure the billing that way. The cable company IS NOT regulated, and act as if they have a FLAT rate and no hidden charges (thats the luxary of being non regulated, you can ACT innocent)...not being REGULATED causes the cable company to treat everyone like garbage, service, installations,and job quality suffer, because they dont answer to anyone. Most fios technicians do the right thing, and if there is a hic-up, they are quick to resolve it. verizon put over 20 billion into this NEW network, and just think...if you think its pricey,(its really avg in price), after equipment installation, techs salary, wiring, and such...it will take verizon over 2 years to START making a profit from the avg. houshold, after initial install. The service is great. And good for competition.
InkedAndPierced

Owings Mills, MD

#11 Jul 18, 2009
Verizon's fios TV has much better HD capability. Their bandwidth is not as limited as cable HD. That's not saying that they don't have problems or try to rob you. If you're going to choose strictly on customer service, then you best stick with just an antenna and not deal with Verizon or Cablevision. If you want the best picture you can get for HD channels, then you'll probably want FIOS. FIOS internet is also much better than cable internet. Not only are the download speeds faster, but your upload speed is twice what cablevision advertises.
lance

Monroe, NY

#12 Aug 5, 2009
i am in the tv broadcasting industry for nearly 40 years. i have been given numerous awards for my expertees in judging picture quality and sound. when it comees to which company has the best dvr service, each companies unit has its # @ _. when i comes to picture and sound. fios tv blows away cable company tv.with fios the sound band is much wider. as far as the picture, with fios almost every hd channel is enjoyable. you cant wait to see if the next scene will be moore eye popping. as with cable hd, most of the hd channels barely look much better than the way we watched tv on a good tube set.
InkedAndPierced

Owings Mills, MD

#13 Aug 5, 2009
lance wrote:
i am in the tv broadcasting industry for nearly 40 years. i have been given numerous awards for my expertees in judging picture quality and sound. when it comees to which company has the best dvr service, each companies unit has its #@_. when i comes to picture and sound. fios tv blows away cable company tv.with fios the sound band is much wider. as far as the picture, with fios almost every hd channel is enjoyable. you cant wait to see if the next scene will be moore eye popping. as with cable hd, most of the hd channels barely look much better than the way we watched tv on a good tube set.
Exactly. From what I understand, until cablevision upgrades their whole system including cabling, their HD quality will be lower. The older components and cabling they have just doesn't have the bandwidth to deliver a full HD experience, so they tone it down a bit on a lot of their channels.
bob

United States

#14 Aug 8, 2009
verison rules
and
optim SUCKS
cable guy

Hopewell Junction, NY

#15 Aug 23, 2009
bob blows verizon sucks :o
anon ymous

Huntington Station, NY

#16 Sep 2, 2009
OPTIMUM OWNS, FIOS BLOWS.
Firstly Verizon is the most evil teleco i have ever encountered that only spews BS lies and thrives on ppl being ignorant/uninformed. They make ppl think that just because fiber is in the house that means its better == BS. Modern cable infrastructure is mostly fiber, they only use coax from the pole/switchbox to ur house, that saves them and u money on running fiber into the premises which wouldnt add any benefits to the enduser or the cable company. Modern embedded signal processors are now fast enough to transmit data over copper as fast as most fiber implementations. The only advantage fiber has in this situation is that the cable can be longer without needing a repeater to boost the signal(less attenuation). which in the case of cable infrastructure is usually meaningless. So wats left, speed, price, and stability of the service. Since both infrastructures are mostly fiber, the stability is the same, and the speed/price are much much better from optimum. Verizon loves raping their customers. Both TV services offer the same quality HD service so that claim vz makes thats its the best quality, is yet again another lie. So in comparison of FIOS and OOL, only a retard picks FIOS if OOL is an available option.
I also wanna mention how badely their wireless services are. They use oldschool cdma2000 technology, that in no way is able compete with the speed, quality, and availablity of gsm/umts/hsdpa. For some reason ppl think verizon has the best service, and I think that is due to BS advertisements, and retards trying to justify their expensive crappy phones/service. Also the phones they use are exclusive to them(totalcrap) or are manufacturer modified gsm phones made to work with cdma which are released months after the gsm versions hit the market. The latter are made poorly made cuz they use crappy cdma chips that are bigger and use more power which stresses the original(gsm) design of those phones resulting in inferior overall quality compared to their gsm counterparts.
P.S. the security on the VZWireless network is a joke, a 10yr old with some skills can evesdrop on and/or hijack any phonecalls u make.
P.P.S evesdropping/hijacking is also possible on gsm but is harder to achieve. Shh ;)

F U VZ, You Dirty SCUMBAGS
some guy

Brentwood, NY

#17 Sep 4, 2009
wow alot of trash talking in fios vs. io you know i feel that verizon and cablevision employees are flooding the forums talking trash about each other i say to all the actual consumers try fios i have it and love it i never thought i would be so excited about tv but im thinking of going back to cable because they came back at me in desperation trying to get me back offering me everything i have already with fios at a dirt cheap price and willing to pay me to get out of my contract and honestly i could use the extra bucks in my pocket but i really don't know because they really left a bad taste in my mouth because before fios came along cablevision had a monopoly over my town and was raping me in the price year after year my bill was always increasing and after experiencing the picture quality and how fast my internet (35/20 mbps) is on fios i dont know if i can do io and it's below average tv and internet especially the internet i heard its a shared network thats why its slow at times
brian

Pearl River, NY

#18 Sep 21, 2009
Have had fios for two years and my contract is up. Six months ago verizon gave me $30 off per month for my bill but that is expiring. Called to see if they wanted to extend or offer anything else and got a big fat "NO". So out of principle am giving opt a try. Seems cheaper, no charge for boxes, free dvr for a year, boost for free, and a lot less b.s fees. Only charges are $40 to keep my phone number and $9.95 for install.Will save over $400 in first year then I will decide if I like. I really was pretty happy with verizon accept all the little fees but they dont want to give me a break so f 'em. see what else is out there. finally at least there are alternatives
JoC

Hauppauge, NY

#19 Sep 22, 2009
Verizon just knocked on my door in Hauppauge area and i'm thinking about switching. for at least the next 2 years the price will be a couple of bucks cheaper for very similar package even after their taxes. The Multiroom DVR will be a plus and all the channels being avail on 2 other sets with adapters. Somebody sell me on whether I should pull the trigger or not and leave optimum.
semre

Clifton, NJ

#20 Sep 23, 2009
I have had Fios for almost 2 yrs. I gotta tell you, CUSTOMER SERVICE STINKS! The service is good, but you will pay. We are changing to Optimum due to the price.( in todays market, jobs are being let go by the minute)Fios has that whack contract. Its all in the advertisements. The more you advertise, the more customers you attract. Its like Subway, all of a sudden people are buying Subway heros (which are not all that). Subway has been around a long time (for those who don't know)and the minute they spend $ on all the advertisement, its making a name for itself. I have been informed that the box Fios puts on the outside of your home uses about $12-$15 a month to your electric bill (which they wont tell you). Verizon charges a lot of fees because of federal taxes.Optimum is charging me $50 less per month, same channels, free movie tickets every week, free boost, free 411,they pay my cancellation fee and I get NO CONTRACT! If I don't like Optimum, I can always go back. But for now (in this economy) cheaper is better and wiser. Plus, true movies are better seen on Blue ray, not on cable.Fios service is good, but why pay more for something that is not a need! Plus you can always go back. Beware of the Fios fees in the beginning. You will be pissed for the first 4 to 5 months! It happened to everyone I know. They can control what they are doing, its a business. Don't be fooled, I was charged $200 for cable wires that were already in the house from prior ( and they were not old) We went through hell with them! Just because they have more HD channels doesn't mean that you will forget about a $400 bill. Thats bananas!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centereach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Mandela 119,654
Slime Bags (May '12) 22 hr Busted 16
Complaints against CPS, Supervising Judge David... (Dec '09) Thu Scottu 56
Subway (May '14) Dec 18 Taxes Due 3
10,000 packets of heroin seized in Smithtown dr... (Nov '08) Dec 15 Streetrunner 153
Mother loses custody of daughters over 'House o... (Apr '07) Dec 14 Democracy 7
everett emery house and post office -- 1932 (Oct '10) Oct '14 rspin1 4

Centereach News Video

Centereach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Centereach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Centereach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Centereach

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]