OH high school's graduation canceled ...

OH high school's graduation canceled over cheating

There are 7 comments on the KARE-TV Minneapolis story from Jun 7, 2009, titled OH high school's graduation canceled over cheating. In it, KARE-TV Minneapolis reports that:

An Ohio school district says it has canceled a high school's graduation ceremony after discovering several seniors cheated on a test.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KARE-TV Minneapolis.

Dave

Ashburn, VA

#1 Jun 7, 2009
Sounds like the board got together and overreacted out of embarrassment. Typical for the scholastic community. Such fragile little egos on these administrators. So, even after all these years of government publications, free assessment software, free configuration guidelines (NIST), free security templates, scanning software, even people willing to donate their time for FREE to do security assessments and remediative engineering for schools, they still are just to bleeping lazy to care, until their "door wide open" computer systems get hacked, probably by the most pedestrian of efforts, and then they punish the entire senior class because of their total lack of due diligence. Sure, they'll come out with some BS statement like, "The board has reviewed the policies in place at Centerburg and found their policies and procedures consistent with the high standards we are accustomed to." Barf! I would bet my right arm that it was less of a "hacking" incident and more like some kid who got sent to the office, was left there "think about his actions" while Vice Principle Hayseed went out for a chew, saw the system unattended UID/Pwd taped to the monitor, and the rest is history. The entire board should be replaced with people with 1) some maturity, and 2) enough energy to actually try to mentally work through situations like this to find suitable solutions that address the offense without harming those not involved. I'd say that word about covers it. Lazy. Too lazy to secure their systems (yes, it takes effort), and then, sadly, too lazy to take the time to properly and maturely react to the situation, instead opting for the "sweeping payback" line of thinking that you normally associate with grade school children. Funny, their administrative reaction actually looks less mature than the offense of cheating. Anyone interested in starting a fund for adult education courses for the board? Strange how some folks can be around education all day and not get any.

Sad.
becky

Urbana, OH

#2 Jun 7, 2009
I'm not impressed with the efforts of this community. Regardless of the security issues, cheating went on. Other students knew about it, yet didn't react. Bottom line. These are probably the same silly parents who will be harrassing college profs when their don't get A's. I'm just sorry it didn't rain.
Erik

Caledonia, OH

#3 Jun 8, 2009
you are sorry it didnt rain? are you kidding me? if you had a friend in high school that was cheating, would you tell on them? who wants to be a snitch in high school anyway, even if it would only be for a few months, you would be disowned....and dave, they couldnt just let the issue go, you are right that they are lazy, but they had to do something. If they jsut said "screw it", then what kind of message would that send the younger classes?, they didnt have enough time to weed out the actual cheaters...
and they used a teachers computer, because you can access pretty much any computer in the school from one.

Since: Jun 09

Columbus, OH

#4 Jun 10, 2009
Our school board will not benefit from any adult education because the majority of them are not college graduates in any degree of education. The are business owners and the such. Our school board was elected not on merit but on their last name. Centerburg is known for this. Even at their ages they are still riding on the coat tails of the accomplishments of their parents or even grandparents. The school is ran the same way. Our sports programs are a joke because the student/athletes are not judged on their abilities but on their last name. We need to remove the entire school board, superintendent and athletic director and start from scratch with people that are educated to be in their roles.
2004grad

Powell, OH

#5 Jun 11, 2009
I agree with Proud Mom of 09 CHS Grad. You are right. I wish this were plastered all over the news. Everyone at Centerburg is extremely undereducated.
1992GRAD

Powell, OH

#6 Jun 11, 2009
I agree with proud mom and 2004grad. Well all know that this town as always been ran on their last names. And if you did not kiss up to the you were basically blackballed. However, as far as our superintendent I remember when she was just the principal and when should would tell a seventh grade student that she hated them and their whole family. What kind of message was she sending then? As far as the education of our teachers there is not a one of us that graduated from that school that has any less of a degree than the teachers has that taught them. We all know the school board, and if one of their kids had graduated this year would have never happend. And I'm sure their kids knew about the cheating as well.
Grad2009

Centerburg, OH

#7 Jun 12, 2009
I would like to say to becky that you have no idea what when on in this whole scandal. No one told because 1. there is way to much peer pressure to be the "snitch" and 2. the teacher that had his tests taken specifically told everyone of his senior world history classes (which mind you i sit in the front row so i remember this vividly) that he didn't want any of us snitching on the person that is getting the tests he wants the person who is doing it to come forward and tell him how they got the tests. So i hope that you realize at least a little bit of the truth now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centerburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ron who mowes golf course Jun 15 rolland 3
Missing person Jun 13 curious 2
News Tanger Outlet mall to open in Delaware County o... Jun 1 Contrarian 1
Loud noise/explosion? In Marengo (Feb '12) May '16 Jay 10
News Podiatric practice opens in Sunbury Apr '16 They cannot kill ... 1
Danielle Krzosky (Apr '15) Mar '16 Jeff 8
News Take steps with Emotions Anonymous (Sep '10) Mar '16 Deborah 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Centerburg Mortgages