Trick-Or-Treat Nights in the Lehigh V...

Trick-Or-Treat Nights in the Lehigh Valley -- themorningcall.com

There are 259 comments on the The Morning Call story from Oct 4, 2007, titled Trick-Or-Treat Nights in the Lehigh Valley -- themorningcall.com. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Alburtis: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 31 Allentown: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26 Allen Township: 6-8 p.m. Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

“People smell funny.”

Since: Nov 07

East Vincent, PA

#93 Sep 18, 2009
Cpt Morgan wrote:
I am not originally from the Lehigh Valley.
Why does the Lehigh Valley celebrate Halloween on nights other than Halloween?
Does anyone really know the reason for this?
Of the 6 states and numerious cities I have lived in, I have never heard of this until I moved here.
This year I am putting up a sign in my front yard that reads:
"Celebrate Halloween on Halloween"
Cpt. Morgan
A Google search yields no answer to your first question, however, I did learn a new factoid - Allentown is apparently credited for the first ever Halloween parade here in the US.

According to my mom, the origins with the Friday trick-or-treating started with teachers complaining that kids were coming to school tired when Halloween fell on school nights.

Since then, it's been tradition. As far as I know, it's been like this my whole life (I'm 26).
Stamp Out Stupidity

Allentown, PA

#94 Sep 18, 2009
Mandapants wrote:
<quoted text>
A Google search yields no answer to your first question, however, I did learn a new factoid - Allentown is apparently credited for the first ever Halloween parade here in the US.
According to my mom, the origins with the Friday trick-or-treating started with teachers complaining that kids were coming to school tired when Halloween fell on school nights.
Since then, it's been tradition. As far as I know, it's been like this my whole life (I'm 26).
Factoid, hemmorid doesn't matter, it's STUPID.
Let's move july 4th , christmas and new years to some other day too.

“People smell funny.”

East Vincent, PA

#95 Sep 18, 2009
Stamp Out Stupidity wrote:
<quoted text>
Factoid, hemmorid doesn't matter, it's STUPID.
Let's move july 4th , christmas and new years to some other day too.
Christmas, the day that is widely accepted as the celebration of Christ's birthday, is not actually celebrated on Christ's birthday. So that one's already been moved.

If you don't like it, petition the city/borough/township you live to have it changed. Show up at the next town hall meeting, and make a stink. Rally up your neighbors and celebrate only on the 31st.

Your kids are going to get to dress up and get candy either way. And if you don't have kids, then what's the fuss about?
Stamp Out Stupidity

Allentown, PA

#96 Sep 19, 2009
Mandapants wrote:
<quoted text>
Christmas, the day that is widely accepted as the celebration of Christ's birthday, is not actually celebrated on Christ's birthday. So that one's already been moved.
If you don't like it, petition the city/borough/township you live to have it changed. Show up at the next town hall meeting, and make a stink. Rally up your neighbors and celebrate only on the 31st.
Your kids are going to get to dress up and get candy either way. And if you don't have kids, then what's the fuss about?
I don't care what they do. I go to Walmart on
Oct 31,st , they have a barrel of snacks by the doorway and you reach in and take what you want.Yeah.
So Wal-mart knows when Halloween is.

Nobody knows when Christs birthday is though what we do is kinda neat, like the fraggles and the festival of the bells.

Nobody remembers when Memorial Day is either, since it was moved 32 years ago.
candygirl

United States

#97 Oct 6, 2009
How dare anyone refer to any child as ghetto u are all the same parents that install racism in ur children some parents just want to know theyre children are safe grow up its 2009 stop the ignorance
ATown Girl

United States

#98 Oct 6, 2009
I really think the comment about where the "ghetto kids" are going to be is uncalled for. Kids dont get to decide where they are brought up and its people with that kind of attitude that bring down our city. If there were more people helping out our children instead of insulting them, the kids wouldnt have to act out
a-town is a ghetto

Hazleton, PA

#99 Oct 8, 2009
ATown Girl wrote:
I really think the comment about where the "ghetto kids" are going to be is uncalled for. Kids dont get to decide where they are brought up and its people with that kind of attitude that bring down our city. If there were more people helping out our children instead of insulting them, the kids wouldnt have to act out
parents are the only people who should help their own ghetto kids---it aint other people's responsibilty for all the welfare brats.

and allentown was a million times better before the welfare trash moved in.
Backward Valley

United States

#100 Oct 8, 2009
Halloween should be celebrated on 31st
a-town is a ghetto

Kingston, PA

#101 Oct 9, 2009
Backward Valley wrote:
Halloween should be celebrated on 31st
yes, that's when jesus was born...halloween is a religous holiday that should be celebrated by everyone.
jld

Allentown, PA

#102 Oct 12, 2009
In my neighborhood, if you don't give out alot of good candy, you can expect your house egged, trash in your yard, spray paint on cars, smashed pumpkins...etc. and I live in a pretty good area. Its awful how bad this holiday has gotten...and this is the first year my little girl is old enough to go. Guess I better get ready to clean something up. O-well she is worth it. Im not going to let the bad kids from other areas ruin my daughters first trick or treat night.
mama of two boys

Nazareth, PA

#103 Oct 14, 2009
Some people have to drive their kids in the mini van to near by neighborhoods. I have two boys 4 & 6. We live in the country, no sidewalks, no street lights and 1/2 mile to the nearest neighbors. We drive a few miles up the road and let them walk as much as they can and drive them some too.
Please don't lump all the mini van crowd together. Some of us don't have any other options.
nice

United States

#104 Oct 14, 2009
a-town is a ghetto wrote:
<quoted text>parents are the only people who should help their own ghetto kids---it aint other people's responsibilty for all the welfare brats.
Aint. Nice language skills. You must have grown up in a nice rich area to speak such lovely english.
a-town is a ghetto

Moscow, PA

#105 Oct 15, 2009
nice wrote:
<quoted text>
Aint. Nice language skills. You must have grown up in a nice rich area to speak such lovely english.
yo, yo, don't be hatin cause i ain't no white snob from the suburbs like you is.
brynnrock

Stanton, NJ

#106 Oct 16, 2009
For all of you who are talking about your neighboorhood, grab baggin, ghetto kids, etc. you should be a damn shame of yourself!!!! THis is for the children and you don't own shit in this world not even that neighborhood so get off your high horse white horse I should say and yes, I am white but I don't like your tone or attitude towards CHILDREN dumb asses!!!!! Remember when we were kids we did some crazy shit as children so please don;t act like it is just ghetto kids. Stop the blame and pointin fingers. White people swear they are superior I wish you could walk in a black person shoes 1 fuckin day!!! That is all I have to say to some of you assholes. Change is what you need in your life you would be much happier instead of gripping about candy, halloween and children. So immature as adults. SAD
brynnrock

Stanton, NJ

#107 Oct 16, 2009
a-town is a ghetto wrote:
<quoted text>parents are the only people who should help their own ghetto kids---it aint other people's responsibilty for all the welfare brats.
You country ass backwards no good MF. You are white trash for speaking such bullshit. Racist pig. All racist should be placed on an island together so you can all think, act and look alike wouldnt that be great?

“People smell funny.”

East Vincent, PA

#109 Oct 16, 2009
brynnrock wrote:
<quoted text>
You country ass backwards no good MF. You are white trash for speaking such bullshit. Racist pig. All racist should be placed on an island together so you can all think, act and look alike wouldnt that be great?
Hitler already tried that.

It didn't work out so well for him.
Casual Observer

Glenolden, PA

#110 Oct 17, 2009
Mandapants wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler already tried that.
It didn't work out so well for him.
I guess one of those four times you were drunk was during all of High School history class.

What WAS the name of Hitler's little island?

“People smell funny.”

East Vincent, PA

#111 Oct 17, 2009
Casual Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess one of those four times you were drunk was during all of High School history class.
What WAS the name of Hitler's little island?
Oh geez, nothing like taking things literally...

He didn't have an island. I get the feeling that if he did, he would've thought things would've been a lot better however.

My comment was directed more to the fact that Hitler tried to create a community consisting only of the perfect people. Jews, people of other races, and anyone who didn't agree with his viewpoints and ideals were murdered.

It didn't work out so well.

And nice to see you again, Casual.

“People smell funny.”

East Vincent, PA

#112 Oct 17, 2009
And for the record, Casual, perhaps you ought to read my post on the other forum a little closer. Or work on your reading comprehension.
LMN

Glenolden, PA

#113 Oct 19, 2009
Wilsons trick or treat is the 31, scared to let my kids go trick or treating down here too, My has trick or treating changed from years ago when i was growing up in the boro, nice neiborhoods and people not any more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Center Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min JCPete 1,643,648
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Susanm 320,382
News Man, Woman Die in Allentown Shooting: Police (Jul '15) 9 hr richturd kranidumb 11
News Valley View: Allentown's violent year 10 hr Phyllis 5
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) Wed weapon X 151
Ready to roll has terrible food!!!! Tue Wave Now Clap 2
News Lower Saucon Township Man, 58, Reported Missing... (Apr '07) Tue JCBB 95

Center Valley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Center Valley Mortgages