East Moriches budget defeated; incumb...

East Moriches budget defeated; incumbent re-elected

There are 29 comments on the Newsday story from May 21, 2008, titled East Moriches budget defeated; incumbent re-elected. In it, Newsday reports that:

Tired of increasing taxes, voters in East Moriches defeated the budget by 21 votes but maintained the status quo when they re-elected the incumbent school board member by a slim margin.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sweeping it under the rug

Bay Shore, NY

#21 May 27, 2008
The EM Superintendent brokered a deal with the WHB Super. for two EMO kids who are sophomores at WHB busted for selling oxi in school. One of the kids mothers works as a secretary in EM. They all kept it quiet as WHB didn't want to lose the "CASH COW" which is the east moriches tax payer. Shame on all involved in this cover up!!
freddy

Bay Shore, NY

#22 May 27, 2008
wow
Victim

South Salem, NY

#23 May 27, 2008
Sweeping it under the rug wrote:
The EM Superintendent brokered a deal with the WHB Super. for two EMO kids who are sophomores at WHB busted for selling oxi in school. One of the kids mothers works as a secretary in EM. They all kept it quiet as WHB didn't want to lose the "CASH COW" which is the east moriches tax payer. Shame on all involved in this cover up!!
Sorry, but I'll need to see some more factual evidence that this occurred before I run with it.
Former merger supporter

Mount Kisco, NY

#24 May 27, 2008
The tip of the iceberg....if someone were to look at the history of the last 30 years between WHB and EMO, it would make for some very interesting reading.....
Anthony

Ronkonkoma, NY

#25 May 27, 2008
Former merger supporter wrote:
The tip of the iceberg....if someone were to look at the history of the last 30 years between WHB and EMO, it would make for some very interesting reading.....
Agreed...
I have lived here for around 15 years and some of the things I have seen has made my skin crawl. Like I said before, the sheeple in this town need to wake up and realize that they are being fleeced. Already the propoganda is flying around town WRT it being "all about the children". It's NOT about the children.
Then there is Russo trying to get developers (Adelphi University for one) to build here in order to help with the tax base.
Huh?
So we are going to crowd up our town, have even more 18 wheel trucks driving through our neighborhood so we can support the salaries and inept business decisions of the school board etc?

Great idea... NOT!
Reduce costs....not try to raise income.

Maybe a few less plasma TV's in the the new EM school?
I wonder whose brother/sister/uncle got the contract for those.
Vet

South Salem, NY

#26 Jun 2, 2008
I heard today that EMO isn't even going to have a re vote. They are just going right to an austerity budget. Has anyone else heard this?
Anthony

Ronkonkoma, NY

#27 Jun 6, 2008
Vet wrote:
I heard today that EMO isn't even going to have a re vote. They are just going right to an austerity budget. Has anyone else heard this?
That is correct.
It's the classic go higher than you expect so when they vote it down you end up where you want to be in the first place, money wise of course.

Get ready for the austerity sob stories from the teachers to begin.
They are gearing up to seed the press already.
Of course it's all about the children.
Right?
Wrong.
It's all about money.
What is your goal

Yorktown Heights, NY

#28 Jun 22, 2008
If the goal is to provide the best education for the students of East Moriches then the choice is clear:

Merge with Westhampton or continue with the same choice system. Interesting that when the students got the most information they ever had about the programs and offerings of all the schools the fewest number of students choose CM or Eastport SM.

If the goal is to save money than the choice is clear, merge with Eastport South Manor.

Under any circumstance, the best choice is not CM.

These are the facts, I am sorry that the facts hurt your feelings. The facts also remain that most of the people in the community still want the choice system. By the way, unlike Washington, the Board are not paid.
Jerry

Yorktown Heights, NY

#29 Jul 27, 2008
Only about 10% of the parents actually took tours of the high schools. What facts did they take into consideration when choosing, if they did not even bother to look for themselves?
The WHB merger is a pipe dream. The EM BOE throws that out there to muddy the waters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Center Moriches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Watch Dog 10 hr Sick of New Horiz... 12
Paradise Lost! 10 hr Sick of New Horiz... 47
another thrift shop Mon The End is Near 7
Splice T Considers Name Change Aug 1 Unknown 2
Is Betty the new Bruce? Jul 31 So so so tired of... 52
Does anyone remember.......... (Jan '11) Jul 30 Splice T 78
New Mastic Beach Drug House Jul 30 Splice T 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Center Moriches Mortgages