First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sober Homes

Shirley, NY

#1 Jun 1, 2014
Suffolk County is looking for qualified treatment providers to run sober homes that can be regulated by local officials, and the monthly payment rate has been doubled as a major enticement.

The move last week marks the second time the county's Department of Social Services has tried to get established substance-abuse treatment centers to also run "transitional recovery" homes for people leaving inpatient programs.

The first request for qualifications, or RFQ, last year offered $500 a month per client, but had costly requirements, such as 24-hour house supervision.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

No eligible providers responded, said Legis. Kate Browning, head of the Suffolk Sober Home Oversight Board, a panel of substance abuse experts, lawmakers and recovery advocates.

Now the county is offering up to $990 per client and has changed the supervision requirement to just nighttime hours.

"We have an understanding of what their needs are ... to be able to stay in the black," Browning (WF-Shirley) said. "Hopefully, now with this new RFQ, we'll have better responses."

For years, county officials and addiction experts have been trying to find a way to locally regulate sober homes, which are often overcrowded and filled with illicit drugs.

Browning said some of the homes prey on vulnerable people who are "at the lowest point of their life."

Beyond the pilot program, the county gives DSS clients $309 per month for rent, or $475 per month for rent and board.

Those payments haven't increased since the early 1970s, when the rate was set by the state Office for Temporary and Disability Assistance. Because of Long Island's high rents, a half-dozen people or more have been forced to share a room in some sober homes, officials said.

Because sober homes aren't regulated by the county, almost anyone can open one and pack them with DSS clients, offer no treatment services, and collect the rent checks, Browning and other critics say.

The plan is to weed out "unscrupulous" operators by offering more money to those who keep clean, well-managed homes, while allowing the county to closely monitor them.

"So many people have fallen through the cracks because they don't have a safe, supportive, sober place to live when they come out of treatment," said Richard Buckman, president of the Long Island Recovery Association.

As a pilot program, the RFQ only provides for 45 initial beds. House operators will be given more money per client based on services offered, such as transportation.

But there are rules: Residents can't stay in a home for more than a year, and each home has to be within a mile of public transportation. House operators must submit to random inspections, and the house must have a zero-tolerance policy toward drugs and alcohol. There must be a curfew for residents, and applicants have to submit a detailed floor plan, including the maximum number of people who will live there.

Rosemary Dehlow, chief program officer for Community Housing Innovations on Long Island, a nonprofit that provides permanent housing for recovering addicts and mental health patients, said it would be hard to operate a sober home even at nearly $1,000 per client.

"We have single-family homes and somehow we're trying to meet the needs of individuals," Dehlow said. "We're not New York City with apartments."

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/suffolk-do...

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#2 Jun 2, 2014
I told you so,,,

Thanks to Kate for encouraging even more potential criminals, drug addicts, and zombies to come to Mastic Beach. At almost $1,000 per head, I could drop 8 people into one 4 bedroom house. Do the math, that's $8,000 per month for a mortgage of about $1,500. Nice cash flow.

Thanks Kate Browning. You are always looking to make MBV WORSE.
oh brady

East Moriches, NY

#3 Jun 2, 2014
Really Brady wrote:
I told you so,,,
Thanks to Kate for encouraging even more potential criminals, drug addicts, and zombies to come to Mastic Beach. At almost $1,000 per head, I could drop 8 people into one 4 bedroom house. Do the math, that's $8,000 per month for a mortgage of about $1,500. Nice cash flow.
kate doesn't need to help, MBV trustees and "employees" are doing that all on their own.
I thought once we were a village we could do what we wanted to do? Thats what the MBVEC promised us after all. We would "govern' ourselves. More lies?
this village idea seems really stupid now. What idiot thought it up to force MB to become a village???????
Loser

Shirley, NY

#4 Jun 2, 2014
Really Brady wrote:
I told you so,,,
Kate is the worse legislator we have had. She talks a good game and then goes behind the communities back and screws us every chance she gets. I do not know why people vote for her. Mickey Mouse would be a better legislator than she is.

Location hidden

#5 Jun 2, 2014
oh brady wrote:
<quoted text>kate doesn't need to help, MBV trustees and "employees" are doing that all on their own.
I thought once we were a village we could do what we wanted to do? Thats what the MBVEC promised us after all. We would "govern' ourselves. More lies?
this village idea seems really stupid now. What idiot thought it up to force MB to become a village???????
You mention the MBVEC, but they are long gone. Lack of code enforcement will be a hot topic finally at the next work session, no doubt. MBV has under 500 valid rental permits, most are renewed TOB permits. I wonder if there could possibly be a reason why the estimated 1,500 rentals are not being "found"?
oh brady

East Moriches, NY

#6 Jun 2, 2014
Really Brady wrote:
<quoted text>You mention the MBVEC, but they are long gone. Lack of code enforcement will be a hot topic finally at the next work session, no doubt. MBV has under 500 valid rental permits, most are renewed TOB permits. I wonder if there could possibly be a reason why the estimated 1,500 rentals are not being "found"?
Because Tim B and his wife have only had 4 years to look. I do believe we heard, from YOU by the way, "give them time!" for 3 hand a half years. Now that Bruce is on the job for two months, YOU want answers! NOW! Foff Brady.
Go ask Tim why he can't understand how code enforcement works. Then ask the tax payers why we spend 150 thousand dollars for incompetence. Ask The Mayor the same question while your at it.

Location hidden

#7 Jun 2, 2014
oh brady wrote:
<quoted text>Because Tim B and his wife have only had 4 years to look. I do believe we heard, from YOU by the way, "give them time!" for 3 hand a half years. Now that Bruce is on the job for two months, YOU want answers! NOW! Foff Brady.
Go ask Tim why he can't understand how code enforcement works. Then ask the tax payers why we spend 150 thousand dollars for incompetence. Ask The Mayor the same question while your at it.
I have in the past stated I believe the village needed more time, but I never said a particular employee or official did. I have not said one thing bad about Bruce since he was elected, so get off your high horse. But, Bruce is the man currently in charge of Code, and I hope he changes things for the better. Department head report...please. And, post it on the website since we are supposed to have transparency.
Oh brady

East Moriches, NY

#8 Jun 2, 2014
Really Brady wrote:
<quoted text>I have in the past stated I believe the village needed more time, but I never said a particular employee or official did. I have not said one thing bad about Bruce since he was elected, so get off your high horse. But, Bruce is the man currently in charge of Code, and I hope he changes things for the better. Department head report...please. And, post it on the website since we are supposed to have transparency.
again, NOW you want transparency when your beloved "vision team" was voted out of office. I see you still go by the 'two sets of rules' to government. if you recall from the past 4 years, the village doesn't post anything on their website. Maybe you could volunteer to do that now that you care so much about "transparency". But I bet you won't.
More Brady BS.

Location hidden

#9 Jun 2, 2014
If transparency was such a big issue before the election, why is it no longer important. Don't the people who voted in the new people have a right to expect them to keep their promises.

NO I will not volunteer to do the website.
oh brady

East Moriches, NY

#10 Jun 2, 2014
Really Brady wrote:
If transparency was such a big issue before the election, why is it no longer important. Don't the people who voted in the new people have a right to expect them to keep their promises.
NO I will not volunteer to do the website.
then stop your bitching.
We've discovered more about what is going on and where the money is going in the two months that Maura and Bruce have been in office than the 4 years prior. Just because YOU dont like the answers, you are trying to switch the blame. We all know who is to blame for the fiascos of this village and its NOT the current trustees that were just voted in.
Fire Tim and his wife next.
For gross, gross, GROSS incompetence. just like Zany.

Location hidden

#11 Jun 2, 2014
oh brady wrote:
<quoted text>then stop your bitching.
We've discovered more about what is going on and where the money is going in the two months that Maura and Bruce have been in office than the 4 years prior. Just because YOU dont like the answers, you are trying to switch the blame. We all know who is to blame for the fiascos of this village and its NOT the current trustees that were just voted in.
Fire Tim and his wife next.
For gross, gross, GROSS incompetence. just like Zany.
"We've discovered more..." Very interesting! WE is such an inclusive word, indicating you are part of a group, or being directly involved.

I am not switching blame. When the Department head of Code gives his report, it will be very interesting. And by no means do I blame Bruce, he will just be the messenger.

Since: Apr 09

Center Moriches, NY

#12 Jun 2, 2014
I LOVE KATE!!!
ha ha ha

Shirley, NY

#13 Jun 2, 2014
Really Brady wrote:
I told you so,,,
i thought you couldn't read, and now i am sure of it. if you read the article, they don't want to open new sober homes, they want qualified people running them. people who would actually provide services and enforce existing curfews for sober homes. the sober homes are already here; but as of now, anyone can run a sober home and simply collect money without providing any services or enforcing any rules. there are now as many as 6 people to a bedroom. if a qualified person was running them, they could enforce 2 people to a room and also make sure the residents get treatment. kate did not put the sober homes here, she has been fighting for legislation of sober homes for years. if things stay the way they are, you , or i or anyone can open a sober home. learn to read
hoo doo you think you are

Savannah, GA

#14 Jun 2, 2014
Really Brady wrote:
I told you so,,,
That sounds like you dont want one in your neighborhood. You must be a racist not wanting undesirables in the village.

The magic bus is coming.
Oh Brady so clueless

East Moriches, NY

#15 Jun 2, 2014
Really Brady wrote:
<quoted text>"We've discovered more..." Very interesting! WE is such an inclusive word, indicating you are part of a group, or being directly involved.
I am not switching blame. When the Department head of Code gives his report, it will be very interesting. And by no means do I blame Bruce, he will just be the messenger.
again. "We" means all of MBV residents. Sorry that You want to keep everyone in the dark, but WE are tired of it.
hoodo

Shirley, NY

#16 Jun 3, 2014
Undesirables are thugs,pimps,crack dealers, crack heads, smack heads script heads. slum lords,people who trash their property or the property they rent.huge bass blasting speakers,thieves,rapers, shooters,stabers,etc ada

Location hidden

#17 Jun 3, 2014
Oh Brady so clueless wrote:
<quoted text>again. "We" means all of MBV residents. Sorry that You want to keep everyone in the dark, but WE are tired of it.
Funny YOU used the word DARK, was that a Freudian slip? The answer is NO, I don't want them by me. But not because of their race or nationality. I am not blind to the fact that most addicts are probably white like me. I don't want drugged out zombies being placed on my block.

I also don't want ex-criminals being placed into half-way houses. I believe if the County had it's way, they would BUS in released criminals from all the other towns in Suffolk and place them in MBV if they thought they could get away with it. And, I don't need any more buses to worry about.
Oh Brady so clueless

East Moriches, NY

#18 Jun 3, 2014
Really Brady wrote:
<quoted text>Funny YOU used the word DARK, was that a Freudian slip? The answer is NO, I don't want them by me. But not because of their race or nationality. I am not blind to the fact that most addicts are probably white like me. I don't want drugged out zombies being placed on my block.
I also don't want ex-criminals being placed into half-way houses. I believe if the County had it's way, they would BUS in released criminals from all the other towns in Suffolk and place them in MBV if they thought they could get away with it. And, I don't need any more buses to worry about.
you are INSANE!!!!!
No you racist fcuk, I did not make a Freudian slip. Dark. As in NOT sharing information and keeping everyone in the PROVERBIAL dark. Funny how YOU naturally go to the race issue. No wonder you and Zany were such good friends!
To recap, "we" means we the residents of MBV, not some secret gang trying to infiltrate the government. "Keeping everyone in the dark" means NOT giving the residents the information that is needed. Now go back to making hoods out of your white sheets you racist bastard.
I'm done with your stupidity. Foff

Location hidden

#19 Jun 3, 2014
Oh Brady so clueless wrote:
<quoted text>you are INSANE!!!!!
No you racist fcuk, I did not make a Freudian slip. Dark. As in NOT sharing information and keeping everyone in the PROVERBIAL dark. Funny how YOU naturally go to the race issue. No wonder you and Zany were such good friends!
To recap, "we" means we the residents of MBV, not some secret gang trying to infiltrate the government. "Keeping everyone in the dark" means NOT giving the residents the information that is needed. Now go back to making hoods out of your white sheets you racist bastard.
I'm done with your stupidity. Foff
FU, you will now be in the dark. I will leave you to make all the stupid comments. OUR (cryptic reference) day will come.

Bruce, I know you just got your assignment a month ago, the Department head report on all code activity for May is due....and it should be an eye opener. Make sure you double check the results too!
hoodo

Shirley, NY

#20 Jun 3, 2014
Really Brady take your meds your outa yer friggin F**King mind . It's going to hurt. buck up brace your self for Ejectshuuuuuun. Hey one more month just flew by. The election will be here in 9 months count them 9 ringydingys. The hodoo has decided to throw his hat in to the Ring. Therrrrres a hard rain a gon'a fall.Really Brady,Really.and I am going to ask Mrs. Evan P. My main man.And da bad bone boy with me. hey der fruit cake Brady whadayous tink ah dat. Really Brady,ReallyYou better get Victor out in front of Handy Pantry campaigning for his pals. It's never to early to start,And he's a real people person. Go get um tiger

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Center Moriches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Betty and Ann should WAKE UP 33 min Really Brady 51
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) 55 min Melanie 402
Mastic Beach A**hole, I mean Advocate 2 hr Waa waa waa 7
looking for Lester 8 hr the Ace of Spades 4
Trustee Anderson should come clean Mon hodoo 51
big bill from Bills all all American has died Sun Victor zeleny 1
What do you call 32 child molesters living in a... May 2 Evan Politico 1
More from around the web

Center Moriches People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE