GmaoftheKs

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Nov 1, 2012
Little things do make a difference. Every small deed, act, spoken word, written word, and thought add up to who we are and what we stand for.
This presses upon me even more in this Election 2012 season. I thought I was prepared for the 2008 and 2010 Elections (local). However, I wasn't! I told myself that I would be better prepared for the next major election. So, I have kept track and done my own research on issues and especially candidates. I don't take the campaign ads, the brochures or the door-to-door visits by my local candidates at face value. I take notes, I read their blogs, their websites - but most importantly, I have kept track of their voting records, comments (public and private) and MOST IMPORTANTLY their integrity.
The simle definition of integrity is a person's words matches with their actions. This isn't always an easy thing to measure in candidates. Truth can be twisted around deceipt (and vice-versa) so that the end result is that a candidate is saying exacty what their particular audience of any given moment hears what they want to hear. When challenged, the candidate can stand on the one thin strand of truth that they uttered.
This can be frustrating in my search for truth from candidates. Where do they really stand? What do they really believe? What are their real motives?
I have found that the door-to-door visits from my local candidates is even better than asking public questions. I don't antagonize - even in public settings. I respectfully listen, and if given an opportunity, I respectfully ask my questions.
A recent visit from Eric Peterson, the incumbent mayor of Wyoming, MN, helped me make my decision in voting in the 2012 Wyoming Mayoral Race. Eric came to our porch and said he was there to let us ask questions. He didn't even take a breath, and kept going and did all the talking. At the end of his campaign speech, he allowed us 30 seconds for questions. Needless to say, we didn't get to ask anything.
But, that is not even my point. My point is this: Eric stood on our front porch and lied to us. Not just once, but twice. Glaring, outright lies. In his attempt to woo us, he buried himself. I was shocked. In my research (reading minutes of all meetings, attending as many meetings as I could, watching his voting record on small and big issues), there weren't too many red flags. Some things here and there that I could've misunderstood or didn't know the background.
Or just the plain fact that none of us are perfect, including Eric, and we all make mistakes, or unwise choices, decisions, etc.
However, flat out lying to my face won't be tolerated. How can I, in good conscience, vote for someone I no longer trust. If he can so easily lie and tell falsehoods in public, what is he doing behind closed door meetings? How can I, in good conscience, use my freedom to vote for someone who disrespects the basic premise of freedom: truth.
I voted for him to become Mayor. I WILL NOT vote for him in 2012. Shame on you, Eric Peterson. May truth prevail and may light shine on your dishonesty so that it will be revealed to all.
Disillusioned in Wyoming

Zimmerman, MN

#2 Apr 4, 2013
Wow. I just found this post today. I WISH I would've read this and done my research last fall before elections. I WISH I had gone to meetings, asked questions and called out Mayor Peterson and the council prior to last fall. I have just recently begun to keep closer track of our elected officials and administration.
Even in a small town such as ours, power and the grand illusion of power has gone to our elected officials' heads.
I don't appreciate the vulgar language coming from the mouth of our elected officials when in public settings. I don't appreciate hearing rhem vote and say one thing in public, and then in private saying "their hands were tied and had no choice". It is two-faced. State what you believe, vote how you must. And then stand by your decisions in public and in private. I don't appreciate hearing to my face that you made a mistake and you regret your votes, but then publicly covering your butt.
Where is the integrity? Seemingly not with the current elected officials and administration of Wyoming, MN.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Center City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robin Williams, in Minnesota for Hazelden visit... Aug '14 ess 1
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 848
Review: Anthony's Grill & Pizzeria May '14 cheri 3
Who do you support for Mayor (Lake St. Croix Be... (Oct '10) Mar '14 a real LSCB resident 87
Debate: Marijuana - Wyoming, MN (Aug '10) Feb '14 Lynn kimg 6
Walter Mondale laments American polarization, i... (Oct '10) Feb '14 dunkin 57
Brooklyn Center considers banning smoke shop sa... (Jan '14) Jan '14 kathyvpi 1
•••
•••
•••

Center City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••