State picks course of action to clean lake

A plan to clean the toxic algae choking Grand Lake St. Marys calls for dumping chemicals in the polluted water and placing new restrictions on area farms. Full Story
pikkil47

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 31, 2010
let me see if I understand this -

the lake is full of toxic #@*& ..........and-

Ohio proposes dumping compounds of #@*& onto the #@*& to remove the#@*& that's already there......... did I get it right?......... man, my head is spinning -n- I haven't even toked on anything.
ohiodonkeydude

Englewood, OH

#3 Jul 31, 2010
It's hard to understand when the farmers are told what they are doing is ruining the lake, that they don't make adjustments to prevent further problems. The conservatives are so shortsided, they don't see the problems in front of the own faces, just dollar signs and how is the gonna affect little ole me. Secondly, conservatives now thinks in invogue to shout down gov't officials whenever they get mad, don't get their way or want changes.
Grove City Grump

Grove City, OH

#4 Jul 31, 2010
As of 2007, last statistics available, Mercer County had 43 megafarms, while surrounding counties had 3-5. For one thing, there should be an immediate moratorium on granting licenses to new megafarms in Mercer Co.

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

#5 Jul 31, 2010
Cleaning a lake isn't the same as cleaning the family bathtub.
The expenses should be borne by those who pollute the lake. We don't have the responsibility to feel sorry for them.
How about "tagging" the propeties in the drainage districts surrounding the lake? They put "tags" in explosives and ammunition so the source can be traced. If you tag a farm and find tags in the lake, it should indicate that this farm isn't doing its job in preventing runoff or pollution.
Aerial and ground inspections should also aid in the battle.
Most farmers are responsible people and run good, profitable farms and are good neighbors....then there are the others....
Another Concerned Citizen

Westerville, OH

#6 Jul 31, 2010
Funny how all those Republicans in Mercer and Auglaze counties are clamoring for the GOVERMENT to DO SOMETHING when their free market practices have caused the lake to die. I guess big government is only important when you want some government assistance. The rest of the time you just whine about everyone else who is receiving some type of benefit.
Another Concerned Citizen

Westerville, OH

#7 Jul 31, 2010
And as for the Libertarian and Tea Partiers, what is your solution?.......
Yeah, I thought so.
L Berry

Alliance, OH

#8 Jul 31, 2010
Why do most posters turn this into a political fight? This is a complex issue that has many reasons. Yes manure runnoff is a cause, but silt has been filling lake, reducing amount of water which increases nutrient levels. Area residents have septic tanks which add to levels. New homes removed the swamp areas which helped filter out the manure. The water levels are lower than they used to be.
Gov Strickland is using a short term fix which hasn't been proven to work. The chemicals being proposed could cause more damage than they fix. Dredging the lake is the real fix. Deeper water, with nutrients removed will give lake a new life. Then measures to prevent manure runoff will prevent future issues.
It won't be cheap to fix, but would be a good use of Federal Stimulus money. State fees charged on boat owners for boats and trailers could be a partial funding source. Currently most of funds go to General Funds to cover social programs.
Grand lake was one of best resort lakes in area and deserv es to be restored to its once great condition. Gov Stricklands Plan is too little, too late. Where was he 3 years ago when this was still a big problem. Wait, I remember, he was solving the school funding issues. But was also trying to cover up his AG Marc Dann for his sex scandle, his Jobs and Family Services Director for Joe the Plumber, and his Safety Director for Governor's mansion prisoner scandle.
Auglaize County Resident

Columbus, OH

#9 Jul 31, 2010
L. Berry wrote: "Why do most posters turn this into a political fight?..."
L. Berry then went on to say: "Where was he (Strickland) 3 years ago when this was still a big problem. Wait, I remember, he was solving the school funding issues. But was also trying to cover up his AG Marc Dann for his sex scandle, his Jobs and Family Services Director for Joe the Plumber, and his Safety Director for Governor's mansion prisoner scandal."
L. Berry, didn't you just do the very same thing you accused others of? Double standard??
Well?
Seriously

Grove City, OH

#10 Jul 31, 2010
Is it me or is the St. Mary's situation EXACTLY like the plot of the Simpsons movie? Everybody dumped a bunch of crap into the lake, it got really polluted and eventually the EPA put a glass dome over Springfield. Should we do that to that town?
A sham

Selma, NC

#11 Jul 31, 2010
What a pathetic situation. Poor St. Mary's' deteriorating aquatic conditions- should have been being addressed five years ago- but, instead?- the state's politico's were too busy partying it up-(Dann, Nye etal) thoroughly enjoying (luxuriating in their nasciently obtained money coffers provided by their Ag lobbyist friends'throwing them all that free money) themselves, sight unseen. Essentially, pigs feeding away at the trough- at the taxpayer's expense. Wunnerful.

Fast FWD to - the day of reckoning. Cleanup. In more ways than one. I find it reprehensible- that this article is even ALLOWED to be printed- under the subheading "Politics". POLITICS is what got this poor lake into the trouble it now finds itself in. TIME to bring in INDEPENDENT, non partisan, apolitical experts from environmental academia to assess and solve the problem. I see not ONE academic quoted anywhere. None.

I miss Ohio- but THIS mess is exactly why I left. No one- gives a damn. Unless they are politically 'connected'. What a shame.
watcher

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 31, 2010
Geez, we could not see this coming? It just all of a sudden got this bad? Now we have a plan and no money to implement it. Now that is real progress!

Strickland is on the ball. Hot air, hot air and more hot air.

He needs to go! People wise up, he is all talk and blames the problems of the state on everyone else, takes no responsibility and gets lilttle to nothing done.

He is a waste. he will be still talking about the solution as all you small business owners go under. You are that important to the economy of the state.
America OneGiantScam

Zanesville, OH

#13 Jul 31, 2010
Larry Antosch, environmental policy director with the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation: "There is a cost to develop nutrient management plans that would be born by the farmer."

What a riot...yeah, there's a COST and that COST corresponds to the savings these farmers presently are reaping by polluting neighboring lands and waters!!! Hey, Antosch, can you think of anything more egregiously arrogant and condescending to say about this behavior where capitalist pigs (pun intended) p*** on the PUBLIC'S land and then your members complain about the cost to clean up the mess your MEMBERS created. Who do you think you are? Just in your face arrogance and typical of business. First, these megalomaniac corporations pollute the H*** out of the environment and then when you ask them to clean it up or prevent it they complain about the "cost" all the while the leeches who own these establishments are laughing in your face all the way to the bank. America is a synonym for CORRUPTION at this point. It's that simple.
Archie Bunker on steroids

Westerville, OH

#14 Jul 31, 2010
Strickland probably thinks Indian Lake is another "natural" resource too.
Algae Porker

Gibsonburg, OH

#15 Aug 1, 2010
Hi Y'all,
Come on up to Grand Lake St. Mary's for the Algaefest currently running all summer from mid May to mid October! We have paralizing boat rides, colorful blue green red white you name it waters, dying wildlife, buzzards hovering, for sale signs, no people, plenty of corn and beans, and our specialty "pulled pork sandwiches". If you don't eat pork try our deep fried "wash up on the shore" catch of the day. Before you leave home to come on up make sure you pick up some rubber gloves as we just can't keep enough of those around! We'll be lookin for ya..... HELP WANTED!!!!!!!!
Lake Rat

Overland Park, KS

#16 Aug 2, 2010
I grew up on Grand Lake and it breaks my heart to see it this way. I follow the "Friends of Grand Lake" Facebook page which is full of information and photos on both the algae as well as the beautiful sites and sunsets.
The lake was not designed for what is being used for today. This needs to be looked at and have the lake drained or dregded and rebuilt with this in mind. The area is stigmatized from their negative news that has surrounded this topic for months. Visiable ways of fixing the lake has to happen soon, along with long term plans to promote the area again.
Until that happens, the lake is only good for watching sunrises and sunsets on as you done get wet.
Lake Rat 2

Overland Park, KS

#17 Aug 2, 2010
I meant to type " Until that happens, the lake is only good for watching sunrises and sunsets on, as long as you dont get wet. "
Man

Wapakoneta, OH

#18 Apr 16, 2012
It's your county officials that allow the manure creating megafarms to ruin your waters. One of those farmers boasts about creating 40 tons of manure daily. As long as your local government allows such business methods to continue, you wont be safe drinking your own water....Did I say your own?...Sorry the poop farmers own it and dole it out by the glass you drink.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Celina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Celina white blacks and mexicans Feb 28 Shawn Burk 4
perry hawkins aka spencer hawkins Feb 27 Spencer Hater 5
Ashleigh Hoelscher Feb 27 Word 1
Shaun seibert Feb 25 Alexandrea 2
Tocia Potter Feb 20 grammerpolice 3
baby baby BABIES... OH YEAH BIG RICKIE HINES Feb 17 Citizen 9
Crystal weis Feb 17 crystal 2
Celina Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web