controverse

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

The Council voted unanimously to support the concept of the project.

Mayor Steve Reid explained said the resolution passed Tuesday night does not obligate the city in any way, but will be used to help get the proposed toll road included under the regional transportation plan from the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG).

Kudos the STeve on this. we will thank you for your support for YEARS to come if this can happen for Greenville. we are getting surpassed by the likes of Mckinney and points NW and N. we want to me a city that is what it was when ESystems moved here, competitive. Thanks, Steve you have already worked wonders after your inaugeration
controverse

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

Judged:

The right-of-way will be secured through a long term ground lease agreement between the Texas Turnpike Corporation (TTC) and NETEX from just west of Greenville through the cities of Josephine and Nevada, to just west of State Highway 278 in Lavon.

The TTC is proposing to build a limited access four lane divided toll road in and along the right-ofway, leaving room for NETEX’s rail restoration plan in the future, in order to help relieve congestion along Interstate 30 between Rockwall County and Dallas County.

I am hoping we make sure, like Mckinney didnt do... that the rail job gets done RIGHT along side the tollroad. there are several reasons why you do this now. Cities with rail abd tollroad(s) have a greater tax roll proceeds residual benefit, than those that only do one or the other. AS fuel goes up and it will, the roads wont be near as valuable as the rail, which will keep people living in Greenville, even if they dont WORK here. This helps all our property taxes in actuality. I point to cities in Texas that have had rail and benefited hugely in economic downturns, Plano, Richardson and
Mckinney HAD to the Low 5 just to keep residents happy, b/c Allen is the holdoout on rail along US75. Greenville has a SUPER opportunity to not be beholden to anyone now or in the future.
this is the kind of infrastructure you invest in, as the government does when it disperses funds. You see CA and FL are in the trouble(debt). No jobs and no mass transit. Texas addes 23k jobs per month. Now most iof its Houston, but we in NE Texas above Dallas make that stab at changing things and never looking back. Remember when rail came to Greenville(it placed us on the map then), we have a chance to make the heyday return, there us a reason why Texas leads the nation in jobs creation and job retention. Smart longterm, goal strategies. Fuel costs will forever dictate where ppl work and commute to and from for necessities. we have to model ourselves and change our mindset to the way Europe does and be efficent to attract businesses and a solid tax base. It starts with INFRASTRUCTURE. andbegins slowly and assuredly
controverse

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

this is huge for Nevada and Josephine as this puts them on the map for the first time since 1903. it makes this area a desireable to live and move to. not manyh cities can say this in the new 21st century
Momof3

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Do you people not think of the health impact and lives it will ruin? This toll road is projected to run directly behind the homes of Grand Heritage in Lavon.......a community already next to one highway being expanded, with two major roadways surrounding this community it will definitely be a federal noise violation and bring more pollution into a rural area. This will also devalue the homes and disrupt the lives of families that just moved here to get away from urban noise. It will drive down the property values and no one is going to want to buy a home next to a toll road. Every Josephine and Nevada resident I've talked to didn't even know about this and they don't want to be on the map....that's why they moved here. How is it these city governments are acting in the best interest of the community when the residents voices haven't even been heard?
pendergraft

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Celebrating the completion of the 190 Eastern Extension - from Hwy 78 to I30!!! The new 10 mile section of the tollway opened on December 21st and what a treat for those of us living in the immediate area who have waited patiently for three YEARS for the additional convenience and endured the construction. The highway not only provides easy access to and from I30 in Garland/Rockwall, but locally in the area of Hwy 78 it has helped to relieve major congestion for the small town of Sachse by providing additional on/off ramps to other sections of that city. For me personally, I can now access the quiet, low traffic volume, backside of my neighborhood without going through Sachse's busy town center!!! And, jumping on/off the tollway is now quick and easy.

The PGBT is the BEST addition to the city of Dallas and it's lovely suburbs! I can get from my home to The Ballpark or Grapevine in 40 minutes and that is a miracle in this town of millions!

But...as well all know..... all great things still come with some cons and my two are..... 1) the cost and 2) the name - for obvious reasons :) But, regardless, I'm so thankful to live near such a well-constructed and convenient method of travel in a town known for it's agonizing long commutes.

Many thanks to the engineers and staff who also endured many long days and hours in the crazy Texas weather to make this new addition possible! In the heat of Summer, during our record-breaking days of 100+ temps, staff had to shift their work hours to after dark and through the night to stay on schedule. Their sacrifice is greatly appreciated today by the residents of the Eastern Extension! Thank You!!! I am one of the hundreds that know the value add to property when a toll road is built, and even better when a train is in place.
Farley

Greenville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Where are the detailed plans? How can anyone support this until we know the impact, especially once it ENTERS the city of Greenville. What are they going to bulldoze to build this? Which neighborhoods will they disrupt? Will it cut the city in half or will it be elevated and leave cross streets intact? We need to know, people!
Local Dude

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

controverse

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

North side of Greenville, little to no impact compared with other surrounding areas it would impact. City needs to work post all they know, and quit meeting behind closed doors. I agree. we need to know
Local Dude

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

controverse

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Local Dude wrote:
http://heraldbanner.com/topnew s/x1633461801/Toll-road-receiv es-developer-support
Phase 1 of the project would be a privately-owned and built toll road covering approximately 24 miles between just west of Greenville and Lavon in Collin County, along a portion of the Northeast Texas Rural Rail Transportation District (NETEX) right-of-way. The right-of-way has been secured through a long term ground lease agreement between the Texas Turnpike Corporation (TTC) and NETEX through the cities of Josephine and Nevada, to just west of State Highway 278 in Lavon.
I support only if RAIL is included. It does no good to have all this eventual high value land with concrete slabbed tollroads and gas continue to rise(there is no cap-- mind you) all the while other cities are developing rail frantically arounds to mitigate the lessons of growth. Greenville needs to be all in and be at the table growth or pass it by for another 103 years. Seriously.
controverse

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_ca...

Dallas ranked right there. and the cities of Frisco and Mckinney are the reason. Greenville doesnt need to arrive late and no plan as it us all these decades.
Local Dude

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

According to the lease agreement which NETEX passed on a 6-5 vote, the lease payments for the right of way will be used to pay for the establishment of a rail line by NETEX as part of the overall project. Apparently the split vote came because the dissenters believed the payments under the lease would not be sufficient to pay for the establishment of the rail line.
controverse

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Allen did the same for DART, insufficiency to establish.
Local Dude

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

controverse

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Atkins said Tuesday that he had “numerous issues” with the proposal, noting the route would bi-sect nine county roads in his precinct.

ONLY 9 county roads. Well, in Mckinney @121 it was like 32 county roads and we came together and figured out , there would not 32 overpasses.

Yo Atkins, the quickest way to NOT get re-elected is to stick a fork in a project, the first of its kind in 103 years.
Caddo Dweller

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

@ controverse - We like Mr. Atkins. He fights for those of us in the Nevada-Josephone-Caddo Mills area. Unlike the corrupt and greedy Greenville council which seeks to serve itself. They don't care who they steamroll to do it. Jay isn't afraid to stand up for Precinct 2. I will say to Greenville's credit that their only big business is L3 Communications. If L3 was gone Greenville would spiral down quick. So I can see why they want a toll road and 13,000 acre development for 21,000 houses that they can later annex, control, and tax. Instead of luring businesses to help fill city coffers they are going for a residential suburb with a toll road catering to DFW commuters to gain money. If they hadn't tangled with L3 and cost the city millions of dollars in lost legal fees perhaps the city would have been better off. For us country dwellers though, we like things the way they are out here in Redneck-ville as I am sure you city folk think of us as.
Caddo Dweller

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Maybe this toll road will finally bring a Target department store to Greenville. The city seriously lacks the services and infrastructure that a suburbanite requires. There is only one Starbucks, no designer stores and the mall is dead. Like shuttered and closed up dead. Oh the humanity.
Local Dude

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

OK, Caddo, couple of points.
"If L3 was gone Greenville would spiral down quick."
This is true, no doubt.
" So I can see why they want a toll road and 13,000 acre development for 21,000 houses that they can later annex, control, and tax."
Just checking, you do know that the city has no real role in either of those projects? The Walton folks bought up their property long before the toll road was even proposed. They wanted a large amount of available land, with direct and relatively easy access to the DFW area, which pretty much describes what they got. This has been in the works for about a decade now. They are asking the city for water and sewer because in the entire county they are the only ones who have water and sewer to offer. The Walton Development is no different, other than being a crap load bigger and more diverse in its goals, than the Verandah Development in Royse City or the Sunrise development being planned near Union Valley. is the City of Greenville behind those as well? Um ... no.
In other words, there is a lot, a lot of development heading this way. Folks have been warning about this for about 20 years now. Yes, it sucks for all the folks living west of Greenville. I would not want to be in that position. But when you see Rockwall, Fate and Royse City blowing up out of nowhere, did you really think all of that was just going to stop at the Hunt County line?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of97
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Celeste News Video

•••
•••

Celeste Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Celeste People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••