Herald Banner scooped again
wow

Lockhart, TX

#22 Feb 1, 2013
How does the killing of a DA NOT make the front page of this sorry newspaper? They have sunk to a new low!!!!
Lorri

Greenville, TX

#23 Feb 1, 2013
Plus, the Herald Banner flubbed nearly all the details on their facebook page during the situation yesterday in Greenville. Was there or wasn't there a second suspect on Rabb street, on the loose and then later apprehended. This is why the schools went to lockdown. At one time they said he was in custody and the other suspect inside the house. Then in the printed paper, no mention that there was ever a second suspect. And the house was empty! Good grief, get some reporters who know what they are doing!
Local Dude

Royse City, TX

#24 Feb 1, 2013
OK wow and Lorri, normally I wouldn't comment, but I feel it necessary to clear up a couple of things. One, the slain prosecutor was an assistant district attorney in Kaufman county, not in Hunt County. If that had occurred in Greenville or in Hunt County, if the suspects had been found in Hunt County or if there were any obvious ties to Hunt County (and yes, we checked) we would have had that on the front page of the paper. Now as to Lorri, the information we kept constantly posted on our web site and Facebook page came directly from law enforcement or school district sources, ALL of the information. By the time we posted the last statement from the police department, we spent more than 12 straight hours posting updates as fast as they became available, while also answering calls from people asking us questions we had already repeatedly answered on our web site and Facebook page, answering questions posted to our Facebook page, answering questions from people who came into the newspaper, answering questions from people anywhere else we might have went, answering questions from people on our own staff who had kids in school or neighbors in that area, while also trying to write all of the other stories which were in the paper today and work on stories which will be in the paper the next several days.(while also trying to keep tabs on the situation in Kaufman County) As far as the "second suspect", we were initially told on repeated occasions by both law enforcement and school district officials that there was a second suspect and that is why there was the lockdown, even though we had repeatedly reported the individual had already been caught. The standoff on Rabb Drive was why Bowie elementary remained on lockdown through the day. It was not until about 10:45 p.m. Thursday night that the police department informed us that the "second suspect" had been interviewed and released.
Now, understand this is what is known as a "developing" story. In other words, that means the circumstances and details of the story change as it goes along. We attempted to present the information we received from reliable sources, which we believed based on the number of inquires we received about the situation people wanted to know, as fast as we received it. I apologize if for some reason, for you personally, we did not achieve that result.
wow

Lockhart, TX

#25 Feb 1, 2013
Local Dude wrote:
OK wow and Lorri, normally I wouldn't comment, but I feel it necessary to clear up a couple of things. One, the slain prosecutor was an assistant district attorney in Kaufman county, not in Hunt County. If that had occurred in Greenville or in Hunt County, if the suspects had been found in Hunt County or if there were any obvious ties to Hunt County (and yes, we checked) we would have had that on the front page of the paper. Now as to Lorri, the information we kept constantly posted on our web site and Facebook page came directly from law enforcement or school district sources, ALL of the information. By the time we posted the last statement from the police department, we spent more than 12 straight hours posting updates as fast as they became available, while also answering calls from people asking us questions we had already repeatedly answered on our web site and Facebook page, answering questions posted to our Facebook page, answering questions from people who came into the newspaper, answering questions from people anywhere else we might have went, answering questions from people on our own staff who had kids in school or neighbors in that area, while also trying to write all of the other stories which were in the paper today and work on stories which will be in the paper the next several days.(while also trying to keep tabs on the situation in Kaufman County) As far as the "second suspect", we were initially told on repeated occasions by both law enforcement and school district officials that there was a second suspect and that is why there was the lockdown, even though we had repeatedly reported the individual had already been caught. The standoff on Rabb Drive was why Bowie elementary remained on lockdown through the day. It was not until about 10:45 p.m. Thursday night that the police department informed us that the "second suspect" had been interviewed and released.
Now, understand this is what is known as a "developing" story. In other words, that means the circumstances and details of the story change as it goes along. We attempted to present the information we received from reliable sources, which we believed based on the number of inquires we received about the situation people wanted to know, as fast as we received it. I apologize if for some reason, for you personally, we did not achieve that result.
So something making national news doesn't fit into the HB's front page? I also think it's funny that you say you normally don't reply....you're always on here. Give me a break.
controverse

Dallas, TX

#26 Feb 1, 2013
whats funny is you wanna clear something up. Why don't you WRITE a retraction(not a clarity moment geez). Your FB reporting and the HB reporting are one in the same. Jorunalism 101.
hello?

this why HB gets lumped by the critics. Its a homer page. we know you know it--and you normally don't say anthing--but you did
cuz you live here too
Just clean up the paper and MAYBE we will all buy
controverse

Dallas, TX

#27 Feb 1, 2013
Gerald wrote:
Herald Blunder news gathering strategy - "hey, if you see any Dallas TV crews in town, call one of our reporters and wake them up."
the Herald Blunder at it again.
they wont report a gas explosion last year off 1570; but they will work a developing story out of Kaufman cty and get the facts haywire(really?)I see-I know, because I reported to Channel 8 the incident in the city limits last year. Because --well--the HB doesn't report things that might stroke Atmos or GEUS the wrong way. same for goins on at the courthouse.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#28 Feb 1, 2013
Ok, not to engage in a battle of wits with people who are obviously unarmed but ...
wow, yes we did cover the story. It was on our web site prior to the events unfolding locally yesterday, which we chose to focus on. We mentioned it several times during the day in the coverage of the local incident, if only to correct the story at least one Dallas TV station had posted that it was directly connected to the Kaufman County incident (which it was not).
It was also the top story on Page 2 of the paper where we print the national news. Again, as a local paper we chose to focus on the top local story of the day.
Controverse, OK, you got me, apparently we did not hear about this gas explosion off of 1570 last year. Yes, we occasionally fall behind the DFW media on a story or two. One reason why is because, as you pointed out, you chose to call Channel 8 instead of contacting us. That happens a lot.
But I also have to wonder where the DFW media were in Greenville yesterday?
Oh, and we have done lots of stories posting GEUS in a negative light. There was one on the top of the front page the other day. But since you don't read the paper, obviously you missed that one too.
People want to bash the newspaper, that's their right. If it makes you feel better to talk smack about people who are trying to concentrate on local news, go right ahead.
But I will reserve the right to ... occasionally ... defend against what I believe is inaccurate criticism.
wow

Lockhart, TX

#29 Feb 1, 2013
Local Dude wrote:
Ok, not to engage in a battle of wits with people who are obviously unarmed but ...
wow, yes we did cover the story. It was on our web site prior to the events unfolding locally yesterday, which we chose to focus on. We mentioned it several times during the day in the coverage of the local incident, if only to correct the story at least one Dallas TV station had posted that it was directly connected to the Kaufman County incident (which it was not).
It was also the top story on Page 2 of the paper where we print the national news. Again, as a local paper we chose to focus on the top local story of the day.
Controverse, OK, you got me, apparently we did not hear about this gas explosion off of 1570 last year. Yes, we occasionally fall behind the DFW media on a story or two. One reason why is because, as you pointed out, you chose to call Channel 8 instead of contacting us. That happens a lot.
But I also have to wonder where the DFW media were in Greenville yesterday?
Oh, and we have done lots of stories posting GEUS in a negative light. There was one on the top of the front page the other day. But since you don't read the paper, obviously you missed that one too.
People want to bash the newspaper, that's their right. If it makes you feel better to talk smack about people who are trying to concentrate on local news, go right ahead.
But I will reserve the right to ... occasionally ... defend against what I believe is inaccurate criticism.
That's cute for a "professional" journalist to make a personal attack. Remember, you represent the HB. Your comments about covering local news is such a hypocritical lie. There is always national/regional news on the front page even when significant local events occur. Rather than trying to justify your (the HB') ineptness, improve the product. Seems pretty simple.
Local Dude

Fort Worth, TX

#30 Feb 1, 2013
Actually wow, and again I apologize if I offended you, the Herald-Banner front page is reserved exclusively for local news. Has been for years. There have been rare exceptions, but 99 percent of the time you are only going to find local stories on the front page. And, as I mentioned, with the limited time available to us, we attempted to find a local connection to the story in Kaufman County and were unable to, which is why it was not on the front page today.
But wow is right, my tone could be taken as offensive. And for that I again apologize. It has been a long week with very little sleep and I took some of the comments directed my way personally as well.
My point remains that the Herald-Banner is a local paper and it covers local news. And whether you like it or not, we cover far more local news than anybody else in Hunt County. Far more. Far far more. In fact, the local radio stations, when they want their local news, they rely on the paper. Radio stations in East Texas, when they want news from our area, they rely on the Herald-Banner web site and Facebook page.
But again, let me agree, that there are times when a DFW TV station may broadcast a story before us. But when that happens, and it doesn't happen but a few times a year, they will spend maybe five minutes at most on their newscast one night, and then we spend the next few months or years covering every aspect of the same story in depth, filing dozens of follow-ups and updates, and then still get blasted for not having the story first.
Meanwhile, during that same time period we will post thousands of stories of local impact, which people won't hear about because it wasn't on TV.
But this entire thread was obviously designed to bash the local newspaper. Again, that's your right. I only attempted to offer an opposing viewpoint to what appeared to be one-sided criticism and perhaps provide a background into what really happened Thursday. Again, my apologies.
agree but

Canton, TX

#31 Feb 2, 2013
folks its not really BRAD ITS THE PAST MR,PRICE who run his private business with the HB PAYROLL.
BUT THE real fake and protector of the the truth is LISA C. a true fake.
controverse

Dallas, TX

#32 Feb 4, 2013
Local Dude wrote:
Ok, not to engage in a battle of wits with people who are obviously unarmed but ...
wow, yes we did cover the story. It was on our web site prior to the events unfolding locally yesterday, which we chose to focus on. We mentioned it several times during the day in the coverage of the local incident, if only to correct the story at least one Dallas TV station had posted that it was directly connected to the Kaufman County incident (which it was not).
It was also the top story on Page 2 of the paper where we print the national news. Again, as a local paper we chose to focus on the top local story of the day.
Controverse, OK, you got me, apparently we did not hear about this gas explosion off of 1570 last year. Yes, we occasionally fall behind the DFW media on a story or two. One reason why is because, as you pointed out, you chose to call Channel 8 instead of contacting us. That happens a lot.
But I also have to wonder where the DFW media were in Greenville yesterday?
Oh, and we have done lots of stories posting GEUS in a negative light. There was one on the top of the front page the other day. But since you don't read the paper, obviously you missed that one too.
People want to bash the newspaper, that's their right. If it makes you feel better to talk smack about people who are trying to concentrate on local news, go right ahead.
But I will reserve the right to ... occasionally ... defend against what I believe is inaccurate criticism.
I chose NOT to call HBlunderfield like ALL RESIDENTS and it shows here. they don't trust your coverage or LACK THEREOF.. I called CH8 b/c you'll consider investigative reporting digging up news of a 100 year old murder downtown. Huh? Really? Now who's unarmed.

Do you even listen to police scanners over because over 43 resident homes called on the has explosion off 1570. And you must have missed it for a reason?!
controverse

Dallas, TX

#33 Feb 4, 2013
Local Dude wrote:
Actually wow, and again I apologize if I offended you, the Herald-Banner front page is reserved exclusively for local news. Has been for years. There have been rare exceptions, but 99 percent of the time you are only going to find local stories on the front page. And, as I mentioned, with the limited time available to us, we attempted to find a local connection to the story in Kaufman County and were unable to, which is why it was not on the front page today.
But wow is right, my tone could be taken as offensive. And for that I again apologize. It has been a long week with very little sleep and I took some of the comments directed my way personally as well.
My point remains that the Herald-Banner is a local paper and it covers local news. And whether you like it or not, we cover far more local news than anybody else in Hunt County. Far more. Far far more. In fact, the local radio stations, when they want their local news, they rely on the paper. Radio stations in East Texas, when they want news from our area, they rely on the Herald-Banner web site and Facebook page.
But again, let me agree, that there are times when a DFW TV station may broadcast a story before us. But when that happens, and it doesn't happen but a few times a year, they will spend maybe five minutes at most on their newscast one night, and then we spend the next few months or years covering every aspect of the same story in depth, filing dozens of follow-ups and updates, and then still get blasted for not having the story first.
Meanwhile, during that same time period we will post thousands of stories of local impact, which people won't hear about because it wasn't on TV.
But this entire thread was obviously designed to bash the local newspaper. Again, that's your right. I only attempted to offer an opposing viewpoint to what appeared to be one-sided criticism and perhaps provide a background into what really happened Thursday. Again, my apologies.
excuse me?
.......what appeared to be one-sided criticism ..........

it really isn't ONE SIDED if this is truly a forum of expression. I see lots of pertinent and legit comments and so I don't feel at all its ever one-sided. Now the biased media might think otherwise. Because its getting outa hand and one-sided. But free expression doesn't get outa hand. No hard feelings. Good discussion' tis all.
jiones33

Dallas, TX

#34 Feb 4, 2013
Mr Price, now I haven't heard that name in a while. It gets personal apparently now
controverse

Dallas, TX

#35 Feb 4, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
That's cute for a "professional" journalist to make a personal attack. Remember, you represent the HB. Your comments about covering local news is such a hypocritical lie. There is always national/regional news on the front page even when significant local events occur. Rather than trying to justify your (the HB') ineptness, improve the product. Seems pretty simple.
AMen, Rather than trying to justify your (the HB') ineptness, improve the product. Seems pretty simple. U r correct. I stand by my comments that we don't want to upset the PAYOLA applecart downtown by reporting anything that doesn't stroke the powers just right, all the time.
Improving product is a FULL time job, not HALF TIME effort.
ricky bobby

Greenville, TX

#36 Feb 7, 2013
hb newspaper is what it is///small town newspaper with mostly good people that are too busy to do any hard hitting reporting. problem is the go two easy on people like that attornie money that worked here. he was terriable lieing all the time
jiones33

Dallas, TX

#37 Feb 8, 2013
They go easy on Money and wonder why the corruption is so rampant.
Jasper

Greenville, TX

#38 Feb 20, 2013
Investigators: Rockwall murder suspect 'would not be taken alive'
Full story: WFAA-TV Dallas
Former Hunt County Constable Anthony Dewayne Lewis called 911 Saturday night and admitted he had just shot two people, according to court documents obtained by News 8. Officers shot and wounded Lewis, but he was ultimately taken alive.
jiones33

Dallas, TX

#39 Feb 20, 2013
wait for Al Dente to call he wants more:
"They flubbed their last investigation???
Facts please, which investigation? "
Just the facts, just the facts, I am running a police force here
Kaitlyn

Greenville, TX

#40 Feb 22, 2013
The newspaper finally caught up with channel 8 but as usual a day late and a dollar short.
jiones33

Dallas, TX

#41 Feb 22, 2013
Kaitlyn wrote:
The newspaper finally caught up with channel 8 but as usual a day late and a dollar short.
Indeed. a dollar short is right---and they STILL wanna nickel and dime me to read online their newspaper. HAHA--here is a brilliant idea from the WSJ.com . give us a free logon on the web and make us see advertising LIKE the paper version you toss to my front porch everyday.

go business school homes. you frustrate the logical and free market capitalists of the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Celeste Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Run off Election Commissioner Mar 29 Pct 2 Voter 1
Moving to Greenville TX (May '15) Mar '18 Toomany Darkys 19
News "The blackest land and the whitest people" (Mar '08) Mar '18 FART AUCTION 92
News Man gets life in 1990 Collin County slaying (Jan '08) Feb '18 the Watchman 145
goodbye b&b foods.... (Jan '15) Feb '18 The Thorn 20
News Phony 4-star, others infiltrate Marine Corps As... (Jul '09) Feb '18 Mind Your Manners 6
GEUS misinformation (Dec '11) Feb '18 Unhappy 25

Celeste Jobs

Personal Finance

Celeste Mortgages