Hello, wanting some info on Yellow Springs

Posted in the Cedarville Forum

“Da Imp”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#1 May 26, 2013
My boyfriend and I are wanting to leave Greenville, Ohio. We've been here a year and a half up from Fort Lauderdale. This place is pretty much everything we don't like being around and we're looking to move to a more positive place. I've heard good things about Yellow Springs, so I'd like to ask some questions from locals.

How do people treat each other there?
How are animals treated?
How are stray animals treated?
If there are homeless, how are they treated?
How are visitors treated?
What else can you tell me good & bad about living in Yellow Springs, Ohio?

Thank you for your input.

“Da Imp”

Location hidden

#2 Jun 1, 2013
*listens to the crickets*
The Dood

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#3 Jun 2, 2013
Kind of a throwback to the 1960's. It has Antioch Uni there, which is sort of the Berkley of Ohio. Laid back, lots of touristy kind of shops. Rent is rather high due to the student population. In the middle of quiet, rural Southwest Ohio.
Babymama

Springfield, OH

#4 Jun 2, 2013
Springfield is about 20 minutes away from Yellow Springs, you may want to see if YS has a Topix page or perhaps take a day trip. Over the years I've went there to visit Glen Helen, visit the head shop, eat/drink at different pubs, attend the street fair and watch fireworks. It's not a town or city, it's a village, taxes and cost of living is higher. There is a certain amount of live and let live vibe. As a visitor to the city I've been treated either very warmly or with disdain, some of the alternative types don't seem so welcoming of conservatives. I've never seen a homeless person or stray animal, the pets I've seen are often in the small shops & businesses. The school district has a high state rating, I believe excellent. What could be potential perks to living there is the closeness to the glen, gorge & Young's Jersey Dairy, artsy theatre, adorable colorful main street with quaint shops and occasional Dave Chappelle sightings. Some things that would drive me bonkers is no Walmart, no traditional fast food chains, except Subway and maybe a KFC heading out of town, no multiplex theatre, no hospital, the times when the quirky, hippie vibe is just too laid back, the lack of grocery stores, there is one but it's not chain owned and is somewhat overpriced...most things are overpriced overall in YS, and I think every place keeps conservative hours, nothing that I know of is open 24/7, shops close early and to some extent it is a touristy town, people come there from surrounding cities to experience the vibe. Antioch is in the process of getting back their accreditation, I'm not aware of a large amount of employers, I assume most residents own small businesses there or commute. Ugh the traffic coming in town can be tedious at times. The homes are mostly older, I'm unaware of any new construction, so the houses can be very charming but not modern. I never hear anything about crime in YS, it's probably there but it's not the type of environment that breeds hate filled vengeance and I think some socioeconomic factors come into play also. You really should plan a trip.

“Da Imp”

Location hidden

#5 Jun 3, 2013
sweet, thanks for the info. I look forward to visiting YS soon.
Lu M

Springfield, OH

#6 Jun 29, 2013
I LOVE YS. Like poster above said, it's kind of like an old hippie town. I think the thing people like about it is there aren't all the chains you see in other towns. People there tend to support local businesses. But I think it's awesome. They're so friendly and it really is a true community - you don't find places like that very often. The only thing is it is EXPENSIVE to live there. I would move there in a second if I had the funds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedarville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
girls who do it all May 7 hatred 1
Chucky cheese Apr 27 Muffin man 1
Sherriemarie (Apr '14) Apr '15 sameone 2
party woman wanted Apr '15 hot 3
Stephanie Allen Apr '15 need2no 1
The Vandettes Apr '15 Vomiting 3
Video Grassroots support of Obama Health Plan Mar '15 Dankl111 1
More from around the web

Cedarville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE