an open letter to screecher preacher on main st

Posted in the Cedartown Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
bob s

Decatur, GA

#1 Apr 12, 2013
To the the man my wife and I refer to as the "screecher preacher" at the corner of Main and West Ave., who shows up every Friday night with a small handful of supporters and yells at cars...
This father, husband, taxpayer, and fellow Christian would like you to take 3 points to heart:

1. While your passion is commendable, your effectiveness is not. Even with my car window rolled down, the light only lasted 30 sec. That's barely long enough to make out but a few sentences, and since I wasn't there when you started, I had no clue what you were talking about, not where you were going with it. If a Christian like me was confused, imagine how lost a non-Christian would be with all that.

2. You're yelling is scaring off business and investment to the part of Main St. We the Taxpayers of Polk Co and Georgia just dropped mega bucks to improve. Also, I live about 50 yards down Main St. In a loft apartment. Your voice like a cannon through my Christian home and for a solid hour each week, my precious two-year old baby completely flips out.(I have already made an "Exorcist" joke about this to my wife, but in all seriousness my baby is just scared that a grown-up is yelling at cars.) There are many of us in these Main St. apartments who would prefer to relax in our homes on Friday evening, and to have peace and quiet. Ignore my first point if you want, but there are several non-residential corners in town with higher traffic density, if numbers are what you're looking for.

3. My mother, who taught us Sunday School and played the organ at our small baptist church, taught me it's rude to yell at people, even when you're right. Mama was correct; it is.

I'm on your side for helping people find Jesus, I just strongly deplore your tactics. This is all constructive criticism. While we all have the First Amendment, let's not forget that those rights come with responsibilities to be mindful and respectful of our neighbors in this small space we share. Let's keep the Golden Rule in mind; would you want strangers yelling their beliefs at you? Let's save all the souls we can, but in the right way.
ugh

Cedartown, GA

#2 Apr 12, 2013
Probably scouting for a local chop shop.
smith

Rome, GA

#3 Apr 12, 2013
bob s wrote:
To the the man my wife and I refer to as the "screecher preacher" at the corner of Main and West Ave., who shows up every Friday night with a small handful of supporters and yells at cars...
This father, husband, taxpayer, and fellow Christian would like you to take 3 points to heart:

1. While your passion is commendable, your effectiveness is not. Even with my car window rolled down, the light only lasted 30 sec. That's barely long enough to make out but a few sentences, and since I wasn't there when you started, I had no clue what you were talking about, not where you were going with it. If a Christian like me was confused, imagine how lost a non-Christian would be with all that.

2. You're yelling is scaring off business and investment to the part of Main St. We the Taxpayers of Polk Co and Georgia just dropped mega bucks to improve. Also, I live about 50 yards down Main St. In a loft apartment. Your voice like a cannon through my Christian home and for a solid hour each week, my precious two-year old baby completely flips out.(I have already made an "Exorcist" joke about this to my wife, but in all seriousness my baby is just scared that a grown-up is yelling at cars.) There are many of us in these Main St. apartments who would prefer to relax in our homes on Friday evening, and to have peace and quiet. Ignore my first point if you want, but there are several non-residential corners in town with higher traffic density, if numbers are what you're looking for.

3. My mother, who taught us Sunday School and played the organ at our small baptist church, taught me it's rude to yell at people, even when you're right. Mama was correct; it is.

I'm on your side for helping people find Jesus, I just strongly deplore your tactics. This is all constructive criticism. While we all have the First Amendment, let's not forget that those rights come with responsibilities to be mindful and respectful of our neighbors in this small space we share. Let's keep the Golden Rule in mind; would you want strangers yelling their beliefs at you? Let's save all the souls we can, but in the right way.
Does this misquoted soul hold a sign? We should introduce them!
One Finger

United States

#4 Apr 13, 2013
bob s wrote:
bob s, I would be tempted to show him my tolerance level with one finger being the lowest and five being the highest. But that's probably what his supporters are there for. To identify.
You all keep him uptown because if he steps into my neighborhood with all that then we got problems.

I would be embarrassed for any children whom he might drag along.
Read n Heed

United States

#5 Apr 13, 2013
He is not listening to the word.

“And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room [inner room, closet, center chamber], and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.” Matthew 6:5-7 (New King James Version
tomck

Decatur, GA

#6 Apr 13, 2013
Nailed it. That guy drives me crazy and also scares my kids. And me. Jerk.
mojoe

United States

#8 Apr 13, 2013
The ol 'boy could be doing much worse. Ever think of that ?
tomck

Decatur, GA

#9 Apr 14, 2013
mojoe wrote:
Gee golly, it never occurred to me!:)
One Finger

United States

#10 Apr 14, 2013
mojoe wrote:
If by that you mean "screecher preacher" then I am not so sure. He probably thinks so and probably eats off of a EBT card. Any change tossed out car "winders" is gravy since we are sure he will not report it. Then's there's his fat wife and kids. No reason to work with all that and street corner attention too. Ever see him out there in the dead of winter or is he a fair weather "screecher preacher"?

"Much worse" depends on from whose vantage point. Beats work from his view.
tomck

Covington, GA

#11 Apr 14, 2013
mojoe wrote:
I dunno 'bout all that...but obviously, yes, standing out there yelling at all of driving by isn't quite on-par with the mass, systematic extermination of an entire ethnic group...but both are good ways of raining on my parade.

Lighten-up dude.
teddybear30153

Decatur, GA

#12 Apr 17, 2013
One Finger wrote:
<quoted text>If by that you mean "screecher preacher" then I am not so sure. He probably thinks so and probably eats off of a EBT card. Any change tossed out car "winders" is gravy since we are sure he will not report it. Then's there's his fat wife and kids. No reason to work with all that and street corner attention too. Ever see him out there in the dead of winter or is he a fair weather "screecher preacher"?

"Much worse" depends on from whose vantage point. Beats work from his view.
What????
misticosombrero

Cedartown, GA

#13 Apr 17, 2013
bob s wrote:
agree with everything you say,'bob s'....but believe you've inadvertently (the key word being,'inadvertently') erred regarding the number of Main Street 'residents'...last count was 3...are there more? i suspect you were speaking of the businesses during day-time operating hours as well as full-time-residential-dwellers 'after' businesses have closed.

either way, your point is well taken and the tone and content of your plea and advice to this guy is very, very comendable...even if it's just you and your family as residents, the disturbance as it is is indeed a 'disturbance of the peace'(and can be enforced by law enforcement...there are city codes for it).

no different than loud music, barking dogs all night, revelry too late, etc.

this guy is a soul, a person and a fellow-man...you recognized this bob s and your response couldn't be more kind...it shows you are a Christian.

no doubt he is in need of treatment for behavioral conditions.

the way way you approached it is a pattern for others to follow.
bob s

Decatur, GA

#14 Apr 17, 2013
misticosombrero wrote:
<quoted text>agree with everything you say,'bob s'....but believe you've inadvertently (the key word being,'inadvertently') erred regarding the number of Main Street 'residents'...last count was 3...are there more? i suspect you were speaking of the businesses during day-time operating hours as well as full-time-residential-dwellers 'after' businesses have closed.

either way, your point is well taken and the tone and content of your plea and advice to this guy is very, very comendable...even if it's just you and your family as residents, the disturbance as it is is indeed a 'disturbance of the peace'(and can be enforced by law enforcement...there are city codes for it).

no different than loud music, barking dogs all night, revelry too late, etc.

this guy is a soul, a person and a fellow-man...you recognized this bob s and your response couldn't be more kind...it shows you are a Christian.

no doubt he is in need of treatment for behavioral conditions.

the way way you approached it is a pattern for others to follow.
Misti,
Actually there are many people like me and my family who live downtown. We rent from Byron Slaughter. I live in a red building right next to Moore's, and there are three other families living just in my building. I know of others in the buildings across Main, and some beside the West Cinema. Not sure if we all have the same landlord, but speaking to them we all think this is an issue worth discussing, in the right way.
Thanks!
sundrop

Rome, GA

#15 Apr 18, 2013
Not sure if he has a computer so why dont you print a copy of this and give it to him so he can read it? tell him he is disturbing the peace and your baby!!!!
bob s

Decatur, GA

#16 Apr 18, 2013
You're right. I'll likely drop a copy to him tomorrow evening. I think mainly the "intent-of-my-vent" was to see if I was overreacting or had a legitimate gripe. Thank you all for your supportive comments.
One Finger

United States

#17 Apr 18, 2013
Maybe people driving by could tell him nicely, "STFU you crazy nut".
goody

United States

#18 Apr 18, 2013
Maybe a crack dealer will replace him.
PollyWantACracke r

United States

#19 Apr 19, 2013
goody wrote:
Maybe a crack dealer will replace him.
Crack dealers are probably better than that in that they probably don't shout out their wares to traffic.
bob s

Atlanta, GA

#20 Apr 19, 2013
Well folks, it's 6:10 and he's not down there yelling. My wife (hopefully joking) said that he's gone because we probably missed the Rapture.

I married a comedian.
bob s

Atlanta, GA

#21 Apr 19, 2013
I spoke too soon. Come on downtown, they've got two of them on opposite corners tonight. Smh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedartown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 25 min rename 55,677
Corruption in Carroll County Court System (Jan '12) 34 min Interested to Know 17
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) 7 hr JayPo 2,056
Do we have a crooked SHERIFF? 11 hr DO NOT KNOW 18
james moore (booter) or daddy west Sep 15 old yeller 2
Pine Bower Sep 12 Big Daddy BK 17
Buchanan PD Sep 12 BPD 6
•••

Cedartown News Video

•••
Cedartown Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Cedartown Jobs