Probation officials using GPS to keep...

Probation officials using GPS to keep tabs

There are 14 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 24, 2007, titled Probation officials using GPS to keep tabs. In it, Newsday reports that:

"Sam P.," a registered Level 3 sex offender, woke up in his Cedarhurst home at 7:30 on a recent morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

CASAC

Hempstead, NY

#1 Jun 25, 2007
OK WHY ARE THEY EVEN OUT OF JAIL!!!!!

“I'm beautiful from KY”

Since: Jun 07

Horse Cave, KY

#2 Jun 25, 2007
Boy you should all move to KY. The grass is green here. Right?

“I'm beautiful from KY”

Since: Jun 07

Horse Cave, KY

#3 Jun 25, 2007
The Constitution should not allow this. I know it all. I have 24 acres and pay nothing in taxes.
BoriLuv22

Morristown, NJ

#5 Jun 25, 2007
I think this is going a little too far. Next thing you know they will be increasing our tax funds to handle the cost of the program.

“Kneel before Zod”

Since: Apr 07

NY

#6 Jun 25, 2007
Richiemagoo wrote:
The Constitution should not allow this. I know it all. I have 24 acres and pay nothing in taxes.
I envy you magoo! You must have it great down there in KY
speechless

Denver, CO

#7 Jun 25, 2007
QUOTE...."Sam is one of about 50 people convicted of sex or drug crimes, drunken driving or spousal abuse now on probation who are being monitored by GPS pilot programs in Nassau and Suffolk -- programs designed not only to track the offenders but also to test the technology, see whether it makes sense to put more offenders on GPS, and how much manpower would be required to do so."

what do you mean how much manpower? don't we already have enough officers patroling the streets. it's the cops job to keep on eye on these people....what are we paying them for?
speechless

Denver, CO

#8 Jun 25, 2007
QUOTE...."Sam is one of about 50 people convicted of sex or drug crimes, drunken driving or spousal abuse now on probation who are being monitored by GPS pilot programs in Nassau and Suffolk -- programs designed not only to track the offenders but also to test the technology, see whether it makes sense to put more offenders on GPS, and how much manpower would be required to do so."

what do you mean how much manpower? don't we already have enough officers patroling the streets. it's the cops job to keep on eye on these people....what are we paying them for?

if a prisoner/offender wants to get out of jail, let them pay for their own GPS to be monitored by the police. why should the police and citizens pay for this???
Government Enemy

AOL

#9 Jun 25, 2007
It won' be long before Uncle sam will enact laws for every citizen to wear one of these devices. DWI and drugs are minor offences.In PA you get 60 days house arrest for your second DUI. Camera's on street corners are the begining,give it another 50 years they'll be trying to put them in our homes and cars.
I am for it

Moorestown, NJ

#10 Jun 25, 2007
speechless wrote:
if a prisoner/offender wants to get out of jail, let them pay for their own GPS to be monitored by the police. why should the police and citizens pay for this???
What happens when they can't get a job because they are a sex offender, how are they going to pay? I personally think it is a good idea because a policeman can't stake out every sex offender/drunk driver/whoever else in the program 24/7 where a computer can by GPS. If they must live in places where other people live, I want them monitored ALL THE TIME!
George J Dagis

Gardiner, NY

#11 Jun 25, 2007
It's nice to see that they are testing a technology that will eventually be used on ALL of us ! Start with groups that people especially dislike to refine it. Next, expand the list for those who "qualify" to include even very minor infractions. May as well put these on the DNA database too while you're at it. People think the "bad guy" is "the OTHER guy" until someone decides otherwise for them ! It could be a spurned woman, a nasty cop with a grudge, or a spiteful judge and (poof) you TOO are a criminal ! LOL !Another "Brave New World" scenario on its way !
ANON

United States

#12 Jun 25, 2007
Richiemagoo wrote:
You're a genius! I hope some ambitious tax collector tracks you down and puts your dumb a&% in jail for nice long stay.
ANON

United States

#13 Jun 25, 2007
I can't wait until they can do the same by smell. Then maybe they won't have any problem finding that "Tax Dodging Richiemagoo".
Until then, I think it's a great step in crime prevention. The use of these devices should be expanded immediately.
Real Deal

Delaplane, VA

#14 Jun 25, 2007
George J Dagis wrote:
It's nice to see that they are testing a technology that will eventually be used on ALL of us ! Start with groups that people especially dislike to refine it. Next, expand the list for those who "qualify" to include even very minor infractions. May as well put these on the DNA database too while you're at it. People think the "bad guy" is "the OTHER guy" until someone decides otherwise for them ! It could be a spurned woman, a nasty cop with a grudge, or a spiteful judge and (poof) you TOO are a criminal ! LOL !Another "Brave New World" scenario on its way !
Keep and eye out for Gov. POS Spitzer, he has already introduced DNA for anyone that commits any crime.
Government Enemy

AOL

#15 Jun 26, 2007
ANON wrote:
I can't wait until they can do the same by smell. Then maybe they won't have any problem finding that "Tax Dodging Richiemagoo".
Until then, I think it's a great step in crime prevention. The use of these devices should be expanded immediately.
So you wo'nt mind volunteering to wear one?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedarhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
girlfriends of old howard beach (Apr '14) Fri Cracker 4
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Carle Place (Nov '13) Thu kjx2007 19
Franklin Gallimore III (Oct '11) Sep 2 Inquiry 4
Nicholas James Faunch/Fox Sep 1 DP 1A 4
Anya Briggs Prostitution and Fraud (Jul '14) Sep 1 G Tobin 8
Review: Long Island Beauty Center By Rodolfo Va... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Hair Colorist Lon... 1
News Sandy Victims Facing Hurdles Claiming Insurance... (Jan '13) Feb '13 Denise b 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cedarhurst Mortgages