Too bad people are snobby here

Too bad people are snobby here

Posted in the Cedarburg Forum

sdkj

Milwaukee, WI

#1 Sep 26, 2008
I just moved here a few weeks ago and have lived many, many places in my adult life. Never have I lived somewhere that is so snobby and self absorbed. The people are rude that I have come in contact with and don't seem to even see anyone else. I know I am an outsider right now, but it would be nice if people at least acted a little friendlier. There is such a nice hometown feel to the area, but the people are anything but. I don't mean everyone, because the neighbors I have met are very nice, but all in all, people I have been in contact with while being out and about are just not pleasant to be around. Shop owners don't even look at you when you walk in, people just butt right in front of you like you aren't even there when you are waiting on things and just all around unpleasant. I am hoping that things will only get better and it's not just going to be this way from now on that we live here! Just too bad!!
sdkj

Milwaukee, WI

#2 Sep 26, 2008
I am speaking of the Cedarburg area in particular.

“Go Hifreann Leat!!”

Since: May 07

Cedarburg, WI

#3 Sep 26, 2008
Have you tried saying hello first? I am just saying- I have never had anything but friendly encounters with the people of Cedarburg. My family has lived here for 5 years now and we love it. I couldn't think of a better area to raise a family. I certainly have been in worse. The shop keepers are going to be nice to everybody- that is how they make their living. I have never had an issue with any one of them. My husband and I take walks downtown whenever we can and encounter friendly people all along the way. Try saying hello first for a few days then come back here and let me know how you did...
sdkj

Milwaukee, WI

#4 Sep 26, 2008
I do typically smile and say "hello" to people when I am out and about, but it is kind of disconcerting when they don't at least return the pleasantry. I don't do it every time and I do know, believe me, that it takes time to meet people once you move. I have moved 9 times and lived in 6 different states. I probably forget how long it takes, but it just seems to be exceptional here. The sad thing is, the shopkeepers WEREN'T nice. That's really bad! I don't really want to say "hello" to everyone any more. Hopefully I will meet some more down to earth people as my children get involved in sports and school. That is my hope! Maybe I'm wrong, I sure hope so! So far though, I'm not impressed!

“Go Hifreann Leat!!”

Cedarburg, WI

#5 Sep 28, 2008
Well - all I can say to you is I have never had that experience here. Just yesterday my husband and I were out walking and everyone we passed said hello. I have never met a rude shop keeper here. They have always been extremely pleasant. I have lived everywhere as well- weleft Cedarburg for a year and came back because we missed the pleasantness of the people. I absolutly love our little town and the people in it. I think you should give it another chance.

Since: Sep 08

Milwaukee, WI

#6 Sep 29, 2008
This weekend was much better and most of the people we came in contact with were friendly, however, we were in a different area for the weekend. I'm sure the people are very nice, as a whole, I just have had bad luck with the people I have had contact with so far. I always make the best of any move I make, even if I am not happy about it. Maybe it comes from me not wanting to make this move in the first place and I am already predisposed to these feelings, but I do know that I have not been the only one feeling this way. My parents and my husband have had the same experiences. We'll give it time and I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks for the forum to vent!!

“Go Hifreann Leat!!”

Cedarburg, WI

#7 Sep 29, 2008
I was thinking about your post and I was wondering if you were out and about before, during or after wine & harvest fest when you had this problem. That would explain a little bit. The shop keepers are not the hugest fan of it. All these venders come in from out of town and set up in front of their stores and make a lot of money while blocking the entrances to their stores, it can be a little frustrating. I think you will probably end up loving it here as much as we do. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

“Go Hifreann Leat!!”

Cedarburg, WI

#8 Sep 29, 2008
P.S. A really great, freindly place to go is Fiddleheads coffee shop- It is our favorite!!
CedarburgMom

Menomonee Falls, WI

#9 Oct 1, 2008
I'm so sorry you've had such a bad experience! My family moved here about 5 years ago and I felt the same way at first. I thought the other women were pretentious and snobby. However, as I've gotten more involved in the community I've met more people and realized that isn't the case at all. I've seen so many wonderful examples of people helping each other out and reaching out to each other. I'm involved in the PTO at my older son's school and in a moms club with my toddler, so that has helped me meet a lot of people. Maybe as you get more involved your experience will get better. I've never had a bad experience with any shopkeepers.(Go to Sendiks in Grafton, they're the friendliest and most helpful around! Usually everyone is great though).

Actually, the only problem we've had is with school, my son is in 5th grade now and the school is VERY competitive, especially in sports. I'm not sure if it's the parents pushing the kids or the kids just being competitive, but it's frustrating for my son who isn't that interested in sports. The school counselor even told me that this is a difficult school for kids who aren't athletic to be in. That's really the only complaint I have with Cedarburg though.
Ken

United States

#10 Oct 1, 2008
Yes, unfortunately Cedarburg is quite unfriendly. Especially if you don't match the Cedarburg resident model. We've lived here for 10 years and we have learned who the kings and queens of Cedarburg are and what can happen if you cross them. Itís just a matter of not being too outspoken, too unique, or (this is a big one) too liberal. Oh well, guess you'll have to conform or live with it. A big problem here, too, is the I-know-the-owner syndrome that plagues many popular Cedarburg businesses. You know the scene; someone has an impromptu chat or two with a local coffee shop, restaurant, or shop owner and, bingo, theyíve caught the syndrome. So follows the next time youíre patiently waiting for your mocha, minding your own business when in blasts I-know-the-owner at 200 decibels saying hello and talking top volume about nothing in particular, taking up the ownerís time and causing everyone else to stop what they were saying or ordering while they wait for I-know-the-owner to come down from the high. Only when and if that happens, life can resume as normal for the rest of us. Itís a very confusing syndrome that neither I or any of my friends have caught even though we patronize certain businesses every day. And the people watchers are irritating as well. Not everyone walking by the Java House or Fiddleheads wants to have their every move observed (and, ultimately, judged) by the patrons slouched at the tables with their sunglasses on. But thatís everywhere, I suppose. Blame it on the fact that everyone watches so much TV that when they arenít, they think the world and everyone in it is their personal TV show. A bit on the sociopathic side but, thatís our Cedarburg!

Since: Oct 08

Menomonee Falls, WI

#11 Oct 2, 2008
Wow, if you hate it so much why have you lived here for 10 years? I'm pretty liberal and outspoken and yes, I've had a few run-ins with the conservatives but for the most part everyone I know is pretty open-minded. It's certainly no different than other affluent areas like Brookfield or Oconomowoc. I guess I'm lucky, I've never had a bad experience at any local shops or coffe houses. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience! It's definitely not the norm from what I've seen.(Honestly, if someone cut in front of me like that I would speak up and say 'excuse me, but could I finish my order?'. Maybe they'd think twice about it next time if they were called out in front of the rest of the store).

Menomonee Falls, WI

#12 Oct 3, 2008
Wait, have you guys been shopping at the Piggly Wiggly? That would explain your bad experiences. I stopped shopping there years ago but I had to run in to get something for my son's preschool and it's just as bad as ever!
karen

Brookfield, WI

#13 Oct 3, 2008
so true, Germantown people are snobby and not very friendly at all. All they think about is themselves and no one else. I lived in Jackson and loved that area better, at least they would wave to you when they saw you or talk to you as a person or a neighbor, but here in Germantown that doesnt happen. I hope to move soon, with prayers to God.

Menomonee Falls, WI

#14 Oct 4, 2008
Move on over to Cedarburg, you'll love it here! I was actually referring to the Piggly Wiggly here (in Cedarburg) but I wouldn't be surprised if they're all the same - I think they're under the same management so it's probably part of the corporate culture. Germantown is so cute, I'm sorry to hear it's not a friendlier place.:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedarburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Cabinet Mania of Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Mar '16) 4 hr benmore 43
Democrats Wed Always Outspoken 2
You just can't please some folks Wed Always Outspoken 1
News Evers files papers for governor's campaign Frid... Tue Bettal 1
Lover gone AWOL Jul 20 Bettal 7
News Flood destroys entire cash contents of Wisconsi... Jul 19 Marco R s Secret ... 2
Harley Davidson on life support Jul 19 Trumpster 1

Cedarburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cedarburg Mortgages