Contract worker dies in accident at Cedar Rapids General Mills plant

Jul 19, 2012 Full story: The Gazette

An accident Wednesday at the General Mills plant in Cedar Rapids resulted in the death of an employee from a contract firm.

Full Story
Part of the GM Family

Hannibal, MO

#1 Jul 20, 2012
Being a GM employee I know this as fact: If GM would not PREACH to their workers about production numbers, speed during production, busting out more and more product my coworkers would honestly pay more attention to safety matters. Sure, they also preach to us that Safety is our #1 priority and nothing we do is worth getting hurt over. However, the whole safety pep-talks get squashed when supervision has time limitations on EVERYTHING. We sit through meeting after meeting looking at our downtime followed by management having an actual $ amount figured out of how much we lost because a line was down (and no, it doesn't matter what the line is down for...it counts against us). They "reward" their workers once a year handing us a "gain-share" cheque which is also based on our production performance...causing myself and my co-workers to not bother with safety because the more production we run the more we get too. So in theory, GM bribes their employees through a gain-share... I'm so tired of hearing that GM is a top choice for employers and how they keep making the top 100 companies of the year. I wish for once the people coming to that conclusion would step away from the GM headquarters in Minneapolis and come out here to the factories and talk to the real workers that make this company successful. We don't have all the luxuries that home-office does. We make a complaint on the job and supervision doesn't want to change or fix something to improve a workers environment we are told to "move on" or "maybe you should look for other opportunities in the work force".
Anyway, I could go on for days about "just how wonderful" GM really is, but I won't. As a GM factory worker this accident has not surprised me... As a human being, I am deeply saddened and am keeping this gentleman's family in my prayers.
Fer

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Oct 30, 2012
If it is so bad, Why don't you quit?
Part of the GM Family wrote:
Being a GM employee I know this as fact: If GM would not PREACH to their workers about production numbers, speed during production, busting out more and more product my coworkers would honestly pay more attention to safety matters. Sure, they also preach to us that Safety is our #1 priority and nothing we do is worth getting hurt over. However, the whole safety pep-talks get squashed when supervision has time limitations on EVERYTHING. We sit through meeting after meeting looking at our downtime followed by management having an actual $ amount figured out of how much we lost because a line was down (and no, it doesn't matter what the line is down for...it counts against us). They "reward" their workers once a year handing us a "gain-share" cheque which is also based on our production performance...causing myself and my co-workers to not bother with safety because the more production we run the more we get too. So in theory, GM bribes their employees through a gain-share... I'm so tired of hearing that GM is a top choice for employers and how they keep making the top 100 companies of the year. I wish for once the people coming to that conclusion would step away from the GM headquarters in Minneapolis and come out here to the factories and talk to the real workers that make this company successful. We don't have all the luxuries that home-office does. We make a complaint on the job and supervision doesn't want to change or fix something to improve a workers environment we are told to "move on" or "maybe you should look for other opportunities in the work force".
Anyway, I could go on for days about "just how wonderful" GM really is, but I won't. As a GM factory worker this accident has not surprised me... As a human being, I am deeply saddened and am keeping this gentleman's family in my prayers.
bctgm

Wallingford, CT

#3 Oct 31, 2013
Fer wrote:
If it is so bad, Why don't you quit?
<quoted text>
Join the union we don't have these problems in west Chicago

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedar Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Free Moshi Monster Accounts (Jun '12) Fri nevesb 92
2014 Conference/Revival Aug 31 carolyn56 1
TECHM and Churches Affiliation, Headquarters (C... Aug 31 carolyn56 5
breeding Aug 23 Jeannie and Bill ... 1
IA Who do you support for Governor in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 63
Marion Elder Group Home Closed After Reports Of... Aug '14 Barbara Baumann 1
Mobile Auto Detailing in Cedar Rapids Area Jul '14 John 1
•••
•••
•••

Cedar Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Cedar Rapids People Search