Witness says he saw missing Iowa girl...

Witness says he saw missing Iowa girls after their disappearance

There are 486 comments on the KWQC-TV Davenport story from Jul 17, 2012, titled Witness says he saw missing Iowa girls after their disappearance. In it, KWQC-TV Davenport reports that:

An Evansdale resident told The Des Moines Register Tuesday morning that he saw Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Morrissey ride their bikes past his house Friday afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KWQC-TV Davenport.

weary

Petal, MS

#214 Sep 2, 2012
King George wrote:
<quoted text>
There are about 241 RSO's within a ten mile radius of the Collins home.
That is a lot of offenders. wow. Do you really think each and every one have been checked very well? And I am here to tell you, there are probably more than that near there, who have no record. I know several who lived all there life without the first look from LE. Not that we did not try to alert LE to them. Too much time goes by. Probaly someone who has never been on the radar.
wondering 2

United States

#215 Sep 2, 2012
No way that they could have checked that many offenders as soon and fast as they said they had.its a shame.....and yes I also know of low lives that have alway made it under the radar even blaming there crimes on innocent people..
King George

Roanoke, IN

#216 Sep 3, 2012
weary wrote:
<quoted text>That is a lot of offenders. wow. Do you really think each and every one have been checked very well? And I am here to tell you, there are probably more than that near there, who have no record. I know several who lived all there life without the first look from LE. Not that we did not try to alert LE to them. Too much time goes by. Probaly someone who has never been on the radar.
Within a few days of the girls disappearance, LE said that they had checked all of the offenders in the area.
The website for the city of Evansdale, IA shows that the police force is made up of 9 full time officers, 6 part time officers, and 8 reserves.
IMO, there's no way these few officers could have talked with and checked out the alibis for that many people within a few short days.
wondering 2

United States

#217 Sep 3, 2012
Just don't understand why they would even say they all checked out, ,,,should have said nothing at all ....just makes it sound unrealistic...
wondering 2

United States

#218 Sep 3, 2012
I wonder 2 if the bicycle man lives alone ..
weary

Petal, MS

#219 Sep 3, 2012
Neelie wrote:
Well GMother saw her at 12 15
the guy at the lake saw Their Bikes at 12 20
the guy watering his lawn saw them between noon and 3.....
Where are these little girls?
Why would the guy at the lake call his daughter. If I was riding and found two bikes abandoned on the trail, police is who I would call. Maybe he was trying to be helpful, maybe he was giving a reason for being seen there.
concerned citizen

United States

#220 Sep 3, 2012
I have always found it odd that the guy on the bicycle called his daughter from the lake, to tell her that he seen two bikes on the trail. I personally think, that LE and search volunteers need to do shoulder to shoulder perimeter searches in the woods around the lake, one grid at a time. Maybe even family members could assist for a change. I find it quite sad that these two little girls have been missing this long, and all you hear is about how one mom has health problems and the other is unstable to say the least. I say put on some old clothes, don't worry about television interviews, and begin searching for your children. Even the mom with health problems, borrow a rascal if you have to and start looking.....Just my opinion though......
wondering 2

Mobile, AL

#221 Sep 4, 2012
Misty and Dan showed how concerned they were when they got a motel room in the first week that the girls disappeared ..police went to this room to talk to them ....they didn't want to be disturbed..they needed rest ....I couldn't belive that ..and now Dan is more concerned with covering his butt in court than his daughters welfare ......
weary

Petal, MS

#222 Sep 4, 2012
I would like to thank King George for being informative and helpful, and finding facts. There is a lot of information on here, now if LE really monitor these sites, they should be nosing around. Let us keep praying and keep Elizabeth and Lyric on peoples mind. Maybe, evidently, only the perp knows. And the person could still be nearby or long gone. They may turn something up in winter hunting season, maybe a clue will show then. No child will feel safe in this area until answers are found. All adults should stay aware and watch for any signs, it could happen again. So far they have gotten away clean, may make them brave enough to do it again.
King George

Roanoke, IN

#223 Sep 6, 2012
weary wrote:
I would like to thank King George for being informative and helpful, and finding facts. There is a lot of information on here, now if LE really monitor these sites, they should be nosing around. Let us keep praying and keep Elizabeth and Lyric on peoples mind. Maybe, evidently, only the perp knows. And the person could still be nearby or long gone. They may turn something up in winter hunting season, maybe a clue will show then. No child will feel safe in this area until answers are found. All adults should stay aware and watch for any signs, it could happen again. So far they have gotten away clean, may make them brave enough to do it again.
Thank you, weary - I appreciate that.
I pray for these two little girls everyday, along with Haleigh, Kyron, Baby Lisa, and all of our other little ones who've gone missing without a trace.
King George

Roanoke, IN

#224 Sep 10, 2012
This is really puzzling me.
Dan Morrissey went to court on July 12, the day before the girls went missing. He had a plea agreement worked out with the prosecutor. Wylma Cook said “prosecutors had shaved his sentence from more than 45 years to 30 years and then to 10 years, with a mandatory five years behind bars, because of his cooperation.”
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21801...

So, if he had pled guilty on July 12, he would have left for jail immediately to serve a mere five years for all of these crimes put together.
But, for some reason, he chose not to do that.
Instead, he chose to change his plea to not guilty on all charges, and go before a jury.

In each of the three drug crimes, there is evidence of his guilt.
In July,“court records show he was pulled over in Waterloo and found to be in possession of baggies of methamphetamine and marijuana.
In October, officers found Morrissey hiding in the porch of a vacant house and found additional drugs, including an "8-ball" of meth nicknamed Blue Shards that he said he was about to deliver.
In December, police served a warrant at a home where they had detected a "chemical odor," found meth-making materials such as lithium batteries, fuel, empty pseudoephedrine blister packs and boxes, and arrested Morrissey.”
http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdale_search/d...

Based on the evidence, I think the chances of a jury finding him not guilty are extremely slim. I could be mistaken, but, I believe that at a jury trial, he would be found guilty or not guilty on each charge separately, meaning that the judge would impose a sentence for each charge individually.
Each of the three drug charges could carry a sentence of up to 45 years, apiece. In other words, he could be sentenced for up to 135 years in prison for the drug charges alone.

Why would he turn down that 5 year deal and take his chances with a jury?
Wylma Cook said that he was not ready to go to jail on July 12. That seems a pretty lame excuse to turn down that sweet five year deal, and take a chance on spending the rest of your life behind bars.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#225 Sep 10, 2012
weary wrote:
<quoted text>Why would the guy at the lake call his daughter. If I was riding and found two bikes abandoned on the trail, police is who I would call. Maybe he was trying to be helpful, maybe he was giving a reason for being seen there.
Very, very suspicious to me, of the biker. Calls his daughter at 12:28. Sees the bikes 12:20 (about) LE has video from business that shows 12:19 (girls on bikes) he waits 2 ˝ days to report he sees bikes on trail. That he tells his daughter about the bikes at 12:28 is what I’m wondering about. The timeline is really quick for a stranger to take 2 girls forcefully if biker in on the trail in that time. That he waits till Monday afternoon to report is shocking if he knows intense search has been going on since Friday afternoon at 3pm.

Location hidden

#226 Sep 10, 2012
King George… Dan has everything to gain with his missing child and niece. He had on Thursday took a not guilty plea instead of his already in place plea of guilty with the 5 years. He doesn’t want prison at all. He’s a meth maker, user, long list, same as mom. Long delays in court, possibly dropping of some charges, if not already. Maybe all. Sympathetic jury. I don’t put it past a parent who has the background of these to kill a child, never to be found, to save thyself from prison. I’m not supposing any theory here because several can be looked at. These are children that were not supervised, left to wander on their own in a neighborhood with at least 8 registered sex offenders. Extremely sorry parenting by any standard. Did you happen to catch what one mom said. She wouldn’t have done anything different. Good grief to that!

Location hidden

#227 Sep 10, 2012
concerned citizen wrote:
I have always found it odd that the guy on the bicycle called his daughter from the lake, to tell her that he seen two bikes on the trail. I personally think, that LE and search volunteers need to do shoulder to shoulder perimeter searches in the woods around the lake, one grid at a time. Maybe even family members could assist for a change. I find it quite sad that these two little girls have been missing this long, and all you hear is about how one mom has health problems and the other is unstable to say the least. I say put on some old clothes, don't worry about television interviews, and begin searching for your children. Even the mom with health problems, borrow a rascal if you have to and start looking.....Just my opinion though......
A good opinion I might add. I couldn’t preach enough about how worthless these parents are. They’ve racked their brain and can’t think of any scenario. Looks like a perfect trap to him. They don’t ride far, just a couple blocks. How would they know, they don’t follow. LE is at a dead end. They were at a dead end the first week. Almost 60 days now and nothing. They need REAL help. All they hoped in the beginning was to break Dan or Misty IF they could be the killers. That was it! That’s all they had. All they got. Nothing on a pedophile. Nothing on a stranger. Nothing on family.

Location hidden

#228 Sep 10, 2012
wondering 2 wrote:
Just don't understand why they would even say they all checked out,,,,should have said nothing at all ....just makes it sound unrealistic...
Makes me wonder what their check out criteria is.

Location hidden

#229 Sep 10, 2012
King George wrote:
<quoted text>
Within a few days of the girls disappearance, LE said that they had checked all of the offenders in the area.
The website for the city of Evansdale, IA shows that the police force is made up of 9 full time officers, 6 part time officers, and 8 reserves.
IMO, there's no way these few officers could have talked with and checked out the alibis for that many people within a few short days.
I remember well, they did have assistance from several other departments of law in the area. There are only so many places they can check, so many people they can speak with. They need imput from the public. Someone knows something, seen something. LE ask last week for any tidbit someone could think of to call and tell them, no matter how small. I trust all the family is doing all they can to stay alive and well.

Location hidden

#230 Sep 10, 2012
wondering 2 wrote:
Praying for the girls this morning, like I have almost everyday....sure would like to know what the LE, really think of the man that called his daughter about the bikes being on the trail ..funny how daughter said he went sixteen miles and did not see them....giving himself even more time.if he was really worried about the girls he would have called police not daughter ..could ne wrong but sure looks like one big cover up ..if this was my children I would have someone keeping a eye on him
When did he ride that 16 miles? I'm curious what that comment meant in regard to riding and not seeing. Was he looking? or was this afterthought when he heard they were missing.
wondering 2

United States

#231 Sep 10, 2012
The daughter said that he had called her about the bikes ...than continued his ride ..and that he had went sixteen miles, but had not seen the girls..
King George

Roanoke, IN

#232 Sep 11, 2012
TALKMAN wrote:
King George… Dan has everything to gain with his missing child and niece. He had on Thursday took a not guilty plea instead of his already in place plea of guilty with the 5 years. He doesn’t want prison at all. He’s a meth maker, user, long list, same as mom. Long delays in court, possibly dropping of some charges, if not already. Maybe all. Sympathetic jury. I don’t put it past a parent who has the background of these to kill a child, never to be found, to save thyself from prison. I’m not supposing any theory here because several can be looked at. These are children that were not supervised, left to wander on their own in a neighborhood with at least 8 registered sex offenders. Extremely sorry parenting by any standard. Did you happen to catch what one mom said. She wouldn’t have done anything different. Good grief to that!
I see what you're saying. Grandma Cook said he changed his plea because he was not ready to go to jail. It was very convenient for a man who was not ready to go to jail to have his daughter come up missing. If this was his reason for changing his plea, he had prior knowledge that at least his own daughter would be abducted, and is very much involved in that.

Grandma Cook just lost any credibility she may have had. She now denies that her son OD'd and claims he was just there for heart problems.
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action...
stupidppl

Owensboro, KY

#233 Sep 11, 2012
yea & also there is a report of another abuduction in this family, from a father took the kids & was heading to mexico & got caught, so I think th need to investigate that whole family gain & seriously the one who either rug over dosed or had heart attack which ever, they need to really look closer, phone records, cell phones, where abouts of everyone close in the family that day, something is just not ight here !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedar Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Similarities between Indiana murders & Lyric an... Mar 9 Krasmussen12 1
weed molly Addyis xannies bars, Mor... Jan '17 moore 1
News Proposed Black Hawk County wind farm sees oppos... Jan '17 Randy Nieman 1
News Two Arrested on Kidnapping Charges (Aug '07) Dec '16 TRUTH TELLER 18
looking for a person Dec '16 TRUTH TELLER 1
News Efforts to stop gang violence in Waterloo (Aug '08) Dec '16 TRUTH TELLER 26
recent breakin at an apartment Waterloo Paper... (Jul '09) Dec '16 TRUTH TELLER 20

Cedar Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cedar Falls Mortgages