Iowa City Fines People Who Feed Stray Cats

Full story: Nwitimes.com 12
The city isn't going to pussyfoot around when it comes to stray cats. The City Council has decided that anyone who feeds the cuddly creatures are aiding a nuisance. Full Story
Dumb Solution

United States

#1 May 8, 2006
This is not the solution to the problem. Iowa city politicians and city council members need to learn a thing or two about feral cats and colonies. Not so bright people making these decisions.
WTF

Palo Alto, CA

#2 May 8, 2006
Someone needs to buy a HUGE bag of cat food and leave it in the main street square as a reminder that this idea is not going to work. Animals have a tendencay to become aggressive when STARVING.
BigLsGirldeNyC

Chicago, IL

#3 May 8, 2006
How Bizarre!!! so the citizens of Iowa,cannot do god/mother nature,a favor,by opening their cupboards and hearts to the starving,striving,animals.They are organisms too. They deserve food,and shelter to. Whats wrong w/a few scraps here and there,that would probaly otherwise,go to waste.
pinkdivinity

Wood River, IL

#4 May 9, 2006
Folks who attempt to feed these stray cats actually do more harm than good. The "rescuers'" temporary feeding actions fail to address the issues at the bottom of abandoned animals.

Municipal animal control efforts are tax-supported, regulated activities which should humanely trap, feed, neuter, shelter, and attempt to"re-cycle" these unfortunate animals into suitable homes.

To randomly feed unneutered stray cats will only perpetuate this problem; and that will encourage vigilante reaction to an out of control situation.
kristie2490

United States

#5 May 9, 2006
pinkdivinity wrote:
Folks who attempt to feed these stray cats actually do more harm than good. The "rescuers'" temporary feeding actions fail to address the issues at the bottom of abandoned animals.
Municipal animal control efforts are tax-supported, regulated activities which should humanely trap, feed, neuter, shelter, and attempt to"re-cycle" these unfortunate animals into suitable homes.
To randomly feed unneutered stray cats will only perpetuate this problem; and that will encourage vigilante reaction to an out of control situation.
I somewhat agree with what you are saying. Given that the City has trap/spay/release programs. Some cities dont and in MY opinion it should be LAW that all cities do but for those who dont - you CANT let them starve!
Cat lovers in that community need to organize a program. People will volunteer left and right for a cause such as this.(I know b/c I am a volunteer in my area in Ga) Vets and Vet Techs will offer time, pet stores will donate goods and money.... if people make the effort these lil angels (I know some are meaner than hades) but they ALL deserve safety and food. DOGGIES TOO!!!! DOGSDESERVEBETTER.COM ......
NO CHAINED DOGS! PE@CE
pinkdivinity

Wood River, IL

#6 May 9, 2006
Thanks for your support. The websites you note are great.

Each state has enacted laws concerning animal regulation. Here in Michigan, it is the Department of Agriculture, and on the federal level, it is also the Department of Agriculture for oversight and enforcement of duly-enacted LAWS concerning animall regulation.

Animal lovers need to educate themselves to their state's mechanisms. Usually the county boards of commissioners have the mandate to act. So, taxpayers need to assert their concerns at the county level.
In densely populated areas, a city sponsored agency might have the burden of animal regulation.

It seems entirely appropriate that the Iowa City Council has made this determination. The good-intentioned citizens might re-direct their humane impulses into a volunteer support organization which raises donations through community effort to keep the stray cats alive longer -- until these poor creatures can find suitable homes.

An unneutered female cat can possibly bear THOUSANDS of homeless kittens in her lifetime. Is it not reasonable, then, to secure the stray cat in an appropriate shelter, feed, and neuter MS. Stray Cat to prevent the births of even more homeless stray cats?
BigLsGirldeNyC

Chicago, IL

#7 May 9, 2006
Yeah,those are all great points!The city obviously had to ponder,and debate this issue,to come up w/an appropriate plan,to keep humans,health safe,as well as the domestic & homeless cats.Joining a volunter group,or community service to find homes and feed the ones they can save is reasonable and sufficient enough.

“Sleep? Who needs it anyway?”

Since: Apr 06

Location hidden

#8 May 9, 2006
pinkdivinity wrote:
An unneutered female cat can possibly bear THOUSANDS of homeless kittens in her lifetime.
Excuse me for questioning this fact, but please post a link backing your statement. My God!!! Thousands!!!??? Really????
GOPuke

United States

#9 May 13, 2006
pinkdivinity wrote:
Yes, just look at Washington, DC and you'll see a striking resemblance because of unneutered Republicans.
Ben

Miami, FL

#10 Jul 20, 2008
I fail to understand how someone can post on this forum that "you CAN'T let (stray cats) starve." Yes, you most certainly can.

My cat was attacked, through a screen door, by a stray who is being fed by the little girl across the street.

These animals are feral. They kill, feed, and mate. That's all they do - they are a nuisance, and nothing more. I counted at least ten stray cats, or semi stray (IE live part time in my neighbors house) cats.

In the animal's defense, it's not their fault they are strays, it's the people who own them who are truly at fault. But these ARE animals! Who knows what diseases they carry? Rabies? Fleas? And they are coming onto my property and attacking my pets? And I'm going to sit back and watch the girl across the street feed them? No way!

If some homeless guy came on to my property and attacked one of my family members, you better believe he's going to pay dearly.

And if that stray cat had bitten my daughter, that cat wouldn't be alive right now. Laws like this need to exist because there are self-righteous morons out there who truly believe they are doing the world a favor by feeding and harboring stray animals.

Cats and Dogs are bred to be pets, not to live in the wild. Not to live on our streets. They don't belong outdoors unless they are fenced in or on a leash.

I'm investing in a trap and a thick pair of gloves. I'm tired of these strays.
StraysArePeopleT oo

Cedar Rapids, IA

#11 Aug 7, 2009
Iowa City Council obviously has no heart. Telling people to stop feeding strays is not going to stop anything. First of all, the people that are feeding the strays aren't going to stop. Why should they? Killing off the strays won't stop the problem. The solution to this problem is to stop people from abandoning their pets and neutering their pets. We need to stop this problem from where it starts.

And a lot of stray cats are not "killers". Seven years ago I rescued my cat from the wild. I have had him ever since and I love him more than anything. Ever since I had him I've been feeding stray cats, and I have taken quite a few to a non-kill animal shelters.

Starving the stray cats is not the answer. You're just making them suffer more. The answer is rescuing these helpless animals, neutering your pets, and caring for your pets.

It makes me sick that anyone would turn away a stray cat. I can't imagine doing that.
Chrissy

Everett, WA

#12 Aug 7, 2009
Ben wrote:
I fail to understand how someone can post on this forum that "you CAN'T let (stray cats) starve." Yes, you most certainly can.
My cat was attacked, through a screen door, by a stray who is being fed by the little girl across the street.
These animals are feral. They kill, feed, and mate. That's all they do - they are a nuisance, and nothing more. I counted at least ten stray cats, or semi stray (IE live part time in my neighbors house) cats.
In the animal's defense, it's not their fault they are strays, it's the people who own them who are truly at fault. But these ARE animals! Who knows what diseases they carry? Rabies? Fleas? And they are coming onto my property and attacking my pets? And I'm going to sit back and watch the girl across the street feed them? No way!
If some homeless guy came on to my property and attacked one of my family members, you better believe he's going to pay dearly.
And if that stray cat had bitten my daughter, that cat wouldn't be alive right now. Laws like this need to exist because there are self-righteous morons out there who truly believe they are doing the world a favor by feeding and harboring stray animals.
Cats and Dogs are bred to be pets, not to live in the wild. Not to live on our streets. They don't belong outdoors unless they are fenced in or on a leash.
I'm investing in a trap and a thick pair of gloves. I'm tired of these strays.
Oh, come on dude. Everybody loves a little kitty kat, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedar Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tim Daman dead at 43 (Aug '13) 46 min amit 39
Waterloo Connection To Jessica Chambers' Immola... Dec '14 Craig Cobb 1
new after 2 club 710 w jefferson waterloo ia Nov '14 sexyladylove 1
Medical mystery: The boy who won't eat Nov '14 real9irl 1
Witness says he saw missing Iowa girls after th... (Jul '12) Oct '14 ICU2 478
sexchatan pic exchange (Aug '14) Aug '14 Anonymous 1
Review: Sassy's Blings N Things LLC (Feb '13) Aug '14 synn 2
Cedar Falls Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web