NY county rejects tribe settlement offer

NY county rejects tribe settlement offer

There are 7 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 15, 2009, titled NY county rejects tribe settlement offer. In it, Newsday reports that:

Cayuga County lawmakers are rejecting a settlement offer and will appeal a court ruling that allows the Cayuga Indian Nation to sell tax-free cigarettes at the tribe's two upstate New York convenience stores.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Red Jacket

AOL

#1 Jul 20, 2009
The Counties should take the deal. New York illegally purchased the Cayugas' lands in violation of the federal Trade and Intercourse Act in 1795 and 1807, driving the Indians (who were illiterate and may not have properly understood the concept of selling their rights to land) into a life of dispossession and poverty. Now they send the cops in to further illegally harass them? I guess there must not be any real crime up there in cow country.

Leave the Indians alone.
Barb Fletcher

United States

#2 Jul 21, 2009
I'm so tired of the bull between the nations and cayuga county .Cayuga county has nothing but old people in there with prehistoric views ! I had 2 relatives who worked for the county : Joe Marshall & Herb Marshall , they got out ! Now I'm wondering why ? I'm Indian and proud of it , they have taken enough away from us ! Have they ever seen a reservation ? Its not a lovely site ,go to Nedro ,the way our people live !
Red Jacket

AOL

#3 Jul 21, 2009
Barb,

Good post. It just goes to show that historical injustice has a way of affecting the relationships between peoples for generations to come.

People in the upstate counties where Indians live are threatened because they see the Indians as tax-free competition. Residents of Cayuga County, Onondaga County, etc. need to understand that there are two sovereigns in this country -- state and federal -- and that the Indians are under the jurisdiction of the federal government, which is why they are allowed to operate tax-free. The federal government has been in the business of looking out for the Indians since the earlist days of our country.

The upstate communities are going to have to find other economic solutions to their problems than blaming the Indians, who have already suffered a great deal at the white man's hands.
Barb Fletcher

United States

#4 Jul 21, 2009
Red Jacket : Thanks , I belong to a tribe in Canada Kanesatake is the tribe ,but the Indians have suffered to much ! And the government , they like taking away stuff to . If you are not in a reservation , forget it , you will not get any help in life ! Thats the sad thing !And I'm from Auburn
Barb Fletcher

United States

#5 Jul 21, 2009
After watching the news on ch.3 tonight ,I just had to get back on here and bitch ,the county wants the TAXPAYERS to pay for the cigarettes , When it was the COUNTY that RAIDED the places , the d.a. or whoever was responsible for the raid should have to pay ! And the D.A. saying they are still sellable , BULL ! They are STALE ,everyone knows that ,how stupid he looked ! Taxpayer wake -up and see whats running your county !Are you going to let them do this ??????????
Piece Pipe

Newark, NJ

#6 Jul 21, 2009
Take a good look and tell me if there are any full blooded natives on NY reservations.

The entire Cherokee nation is half Scottish. They merged with Clan Ross in 1750s.

The natives that met the Pilgrims were about 25% Portuguese and most of them spoke a little Portuguese.

The people on the Poospatuck and Shinnecock reservations are only about 25% native, if that.
BarbaraFletcher Auburn

United States

#7 Jul 23, 2009
If you we're Indian would you want to live on one , they are disgusting ,looks like the slums . Its a shame the way our people live .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cayuga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seneca Falls Woman is walking felony Jul 14 Boots Flintstone 2
News Former Auburn priest accused of sexual abuse of... (Nov '09) Jul 11 Auburn Native 2
da vargason is corrupt (Nov '06) Jun '17 fred 18
Kiersten at JT&S Auto Jun '17 Anon 1
News Inmate Graduates: Why give free college tuition... (Jun '12) Jun '17 Cracker one percent 12
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Nov '16 reasonvoice 27
News Cayuga Nation cigarette plant standoff (Sep '14) Sep '14 HIGh ya 1

Cayuga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cayuga Mortgages