Michael Horger

Columbia, SC

#1 Jun 8, 2008
I drive a taxi, and have added a lot of extras for my customers, at no cost to them. I keep the same rates as all the other cab companies, and paid for all of these extras out of my own pocket. Has anyone been ticketed in Cayce falsely? I have twice and was pulled over earlier today. I was ticketed for improper lighting (2pt violation) for neon lights which is the wrong ticket compliments officer Carabetta. My lights had fallen below the frame of the car and were visible. This is a violation but carries no points. After fighting the ticket in court, as I was leaving the court house I was ticketed for running the stop sign at the end of the courthouse parking lot (4pt violation). This ticket was from sgt Cruz, as Cruz was writing the ticket officer Carabetta pulled up behind his car and they had a laugh about the situation. In court I was found guilty with no evidence that I had committed any violation. I was told that the cameras on the patrol cars only record when the officer turns on his/her lights. Well then there is no evidence, I am currently appealing this decision. Now surprisingly after confirming with SCHP, RCSD, CPD, etc... I am within the law, in having a laptop mounted in my car. The screen may be visible to the driver as long as it isn't playing video while the vehicle is in motion. Example cars with DVD players in the dash automatically stop the playback when the car is in motion. At 4:45 am after dropping a customer off at the airport officer Carabetta enacted a traffic stop of my vehicle. His first statement was "Do you remember me?” He then began to question my destination, address, and ran my license. He then told me to close the laptop. Also they have computer screens visible to them; I am told by the afore-mentioned agencies that this is because the law only pertains to "screens that are capable of receiving a television signal", "This is how we get around that law." a Richland County Deputy told me. If they can get around that law by using a computer, why can't I? My laptop is for business, checking flight schedules, looking up business, and keeping logs (which the law requires from all taxis). How is this harassment allowed? Does no one find it odd that officer Carabetta is always there and I don't get harassed by anyone else? I have been driving a taxi for 2yrs now and go through Cayce 5-10 times per day, and he is the only officer who has ever pulled me over for neon lights or a laptop. I will be filing a formal complaint Monday morning. I am also interested in filing a lawsuit. If anyone else has been mistreated by Cayce Public Safety, I would like to know. This could turn out to be a large law-suit if the other people who have claimed to have had these run-ins would come forward. Contact me at [email protected]
JAFO

Smoaks, SC

#2 Jun 13, 2008
Michael Horger wrote:
I drive a taxi, and have added a lot of extras for my customers, at no cost to them. I keep the same rates as all the other cab companies, and paid for all of these extras out of my own pocket. Has anyone been ticketed in Cayce falsely? I have twice and was pulled over earlier today. I was ticketed for improper lighting (2pt violation) for neon lights which is the wrong ticket compliments officer Carabetta. My lights had fallen below the frame of the car and were visible. This is a violation but carries no points. After fighting the ticket in court, as I was leaving the court house I was ticketed for running the stop sign at the end of the courthouse parking lot (4pt violation). This ticket was from sgt Cruz, as Cruz was writing the ticket officer Carabetta pulled up behind his car and they had a laugh about the situation. In court I was found guilty with no evidence that I had committed any violation. I was told that the cameras on the patrol cars only record when the officer turns on his/her lights. Well then there is no evidence, I am currently appealing this decision. Now surprisingly after confirming with SCHP, RCSD, CPD, etc... I am within the law, in having a laptop mounted in my car. The screen may be visible to the driver as long as it isn't playing video while the vehicle is in motion. Example cars with DVD players in the dash automatically stop the playback when the car is in motion. At 4:45 am after dropping a customer off at the airport officer Carabetta enacted a traffic stop of my vehicle. His first statement was "Do you remember me?” He then began to question my destination, address, and ran my license. He then told me to close the laptop. Also they have computer screens visible to them; I am told by the afore-mentioned agencies that this is because the law only pertains to "screens that are capable of receiving a television signal", "This is how we get around that law." a Richland County Deputy told me. If they can get around that law by using a computer, why can't I? My laptop is for business, checking flight schedules, looking up business, and keeping logs (which the law requires from all taxis). How is this harassment allowed? Does no one find it odd that officer Carabetta is always there and I don't get harassed by anyone else? I have been driving a taxi for 2yrs now and go through Cayce 5-10 times per day, and he is the only officer who has ever pulled me over for neon lights or a laptop. I will be filing a formal complaint Monday morning. I am also interested in filing a lawsuit. If anyone else has been mistreated by Cayce Public Safety, I would like to know. This could turn out to be a large law-suit if the other people who have claimed to have had these run-ins would come forward. Contact me at [email protected]
I have discovered there are simply 3 types of Police officers The first type is the valiant type that truly make themselfs admirable aka Wyatt Earp ,Elliott Ness ect...
in general those WITH honer.
The second type is simply DO NOTHING or as little as possible.
The third type is the one who prey on the population haressing whoever... and at least are the most creative in writing tickets . They seem to love to dominate people and i would bet are least likely to ever be the first type .
Sounds like you have a type 3 problem.
FatMan

Columbia, SC

#3 Jun 30, 2008
Michael, you're obviously not aware of Cayce's long standing reputation. You certainly aren't the 1st to be "mistreated" or to have been exposed to the corrupt side of Cayce Public Safety.
Anyhow, the worst thing you could do is to file a formal complaint with Cayce Public Safety, especially if you haven't consulted an attorney first. Filing a complaint, which is in-house ( meaning the officer's supervisor or shift Lt. will handle...yeah right...your complaint), simply gives them a heads up on how to rebut your incident ( that is assuming they even read your complaint for anything more than a laugh). It's like playing poker after you've shown the person you're playing against your cards.Not smart.
Lawsuits mean very little to Cayce Public Safety. They've been getting sued for these and far worse practices for over 30 years. Guess you never heard about all the hangings that took place when they ran their own jail.
Anyhow, little, if anything has changed throughout the years despite numerous lawsuits, officer turnover,etc.
Fight the fight if you feel it will bring you peace or closure, but realize no one has been able to affect change there yet. Good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cayce Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) 3 hr LAWEST100 1,588
News Gang Presence in South Carolina (Jun '07) Dec 5 Mason Dikxon 229
News Judge: People Aren't Showing Up For Jury Duty (Jul '07) Nov 17 Dale 54
News Joe & Peggy Pinner move back to county Sep '16 jgg1337 1
Looking for Carlton Waldrop (May '16) May '16 Friend 1
It's the Police Job to Establish Order and Resp... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Culture Auditor 1
Fire (Sep '15) Sep '15 MWbirdhunter 1

Cayce Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cayce Mortgages