AGCO to expand Kansas plants, add 50 ...

AGCO to expand Kansas plants, add 50 jobs

There are 15 comments on the Topeka Capital-Journal story from Oct 1, 2008, titled AGCO to expand Kansas plants, add 50 jobs. In it, Topeka Capital-Journal reports that:

AGCO will expand its plants in Beloit and Cawker City, adding 50 jobs. The Duluth, Ga.-based company makes the Sunflower brand of drills and tillage equipment at those plants.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Topeka Capital-Journal.

Beloit On UpSwing

Beloit, KS

#1 Oct 1, 2008
This is great news for the surrounding community. But there is a real problem with finding 50 people for those jobs. Especially qualified, quality people. And if they move to Beloit, there is even a bigger problem with housing. Beloit has some very old, small kind of run down housing, and a few very up scale houses for sale. But hardly any middle of the road houses for sale.
I-am no 1

Tescott, KS

#2 Oct 5, 2008
I agree. What is for sale is also very over priced.

So if the new building is freeing up space for robotic welding how does that help create more jobs when welders won't be needed? Welding is obviously a big factor when making implements. What will those jobs be? Design or manufacturing jobs?
LOL

Phoenix, AZ

#3 Jan 6, 2009
Just move a few more doublewides into tornado alley. Then everyone will have a house and the next twister will have targets.
Beetle

Glasco, KS

#4 Jan 13, 2009
Phoenix LoL, You must not have been to this part of Kansas. Tornado Alley is south east Kansas- north east Oklahoma- and central southern part of Missouri. But outher states like Texas,Nebraska,ect. have had as maney tornados as Kansas. Thanks anyway ,Thats like saying the only thing that come out of AZ. is Queer's or Steer's and you dont have horns. But we also know that fairies come from AZ. LOL
maybemoving

Evansville, IN

#5 Feb 22, 2009
I am interviewing in Beloit for one of those jobs. And I am trying to find out information about Beloit. I would be moving from the Cincinnati area. I know it is a small town, but is the housing that scarce? What about places to meet other people in Beloit, are there Bars?
Beloit On UpSwing wrote:
This is great news for the surrounding community. But there is a real problem with finding 50 people for those jobs. Especially qualified, quality people. And if they move to Beloit, there is even a bigger problem with housing. Beloit has some very old, small kind of run down housing, and a few very up scale houses for sale. But hardly any middle of the road houses for sale.
Beloit On UpSwing

Beloit, KS

#6 Feb 23, 2009
There are houses for sale, but just not that many. There are not very many new houses in Beloit, most were built some time ago. So you wouldn't bee looking at something a couple years old, but a couple of decades old.
I kind of hate to answer the question about the bars. Honestly, I think the bar scene is pretty dead. But I may be old enough that I am just not up on it. May have to have some younger folks comment on that. I like the community a lot, and moved here some time ago from a larger (2 million) city. There is certainly less to do here, but you do different stuff. A movie ticket here is $5, what is it in Cincinnati?

Since: Jan 09

U.S.A.

#7 Feb 23, 2009
This maybe why Glasco had a housing boom in 2008. We sold homes that have been empty 2 to 20+ years. We only have three homes for sale by ownner from 35k to 45k thats it. But our bar is doing great so is the diner. We even sold empty lots then they put mobile homes on them. The RV park is even full most of the time.
I-am no 1

Beloit, KS

#8 Feb 23, 2009
maybemoving wrote:
I am interviewing in Beloit for one of those jobs. And I am trying to find out information about Beloit. I would be moving from the Cincinnati area. I know it is a small town, but is the housing that scarce? What about places to meet other people in Beloit, are there Bars? <quoted text>
I've noticed a large amount of homes for sale this month in Beloit. There are three in my neighborhood alone in the west side of town ranging from $30,000 to $200,000. There is also one that came up last week for $90ish with a nice corner lot,basement,steel siding,big yard and a HUGE out building all built in the 1970/80's.

Come on down. We'd love to have ya.

As for the bars, there is the legion and Captains Quarters. I don't visit them but the captains seems to be busy.
Of course we have the country club also if that fits your bill.
maybemoving

Evansville, IN

#9 Feb 23, 2009
Thanks for the info. All the information I have helps with the decision. by the way, a movie ticket is about $8+ in cincinnati.
Thanks
I-am no 1

Tescott, KS

#10 Feb 23, 2009
I've also noticed an influx of nice ranch style homes for sale in Belot throughout town.
One problem here is the utilities are higher than I'd like to see for a small town in KS. The parks here are pathetic as well so if you have small children the public school has about the best play equipment in town.

If you like hunting and fishing this area is a mecca for those activities as well.
Life simplified

Beloit, KS

#11 Feb 25, 2009
maybemoving wrote:
Thanks for the info. All the information I have helps with the decision. by the way, a movie ticket is about $8+ in cincinnati.
Thanks
Just thought I would give a little more information about the Beloit area. As an overall, Beloit is a quiet community - small but within 1 hour of Salina and 1 1/2 hours (give or take) to Manhattan. There are two schools, the public school (BES / BJSHS) and St. John's Catholic School. Beloit also has the NCK Tech. College / campus.

The general cost of living may seem "high" to some but really compared to large cities and other areas it isn't that bad. The housing market varies...some of the houses less expensive may need quite a bit of work (or just a "face lift") and some at the higher end of the market are great buys (move in ready and updated) BUT with that said...you can get a high priced home that is over priced because they just have too much money in it and vise versa on a mid-priced home. There does seem to be more activity of people building new homes so I would guess they will be selling the homes they are living in...some people are having additions and remodeling done to homes too.

Beloit has an excellent hospital / medical care...a nursing home, Hilltop Lodge, and also the Long Term Care. Other larger companies include Agco, UAP/CPS, Farmway Co-op, Icon...etc. The Wellness Center which has an indoor pool, indoor track for walking, multiple fitness classes and general fitness equipment (it's like a YMCA eviornment...).

As far as shopping --- there isn't a mall or "chain stores" like Victoria Secret, Sears, JCPenney and WalMart but the local stores do offer a great selection of products. We have a mens clothing store, womens clothing store, the drug store, hardware store, lumber yard, "everything you need for a kitchen" store, furniture and appliance stores. We also have an Alco and Dollar General...so for the most part you can find what you are looking for.
Of course Beloit has auto parts stores, attorneys, flower shops, the deli and one grocery store.

We have several places to eat out...Plum Creek, El Puerto's, The China House, DQ, Pizza Hut, Banner, Subway, The Porter House and the Country Club (those come to mind).

Beloit is within 12 miles of the Waconda Lake. There are a lot of summer activities! The Solomon Valley Raceway will be holding races at the Mitchell County Fairgrounds which is a "newer" attraction for Beloit. The Eagles (a bar / club) puts on the annual car show. The Cassiopeia Club will have the annual Craft Show too.

Honestly...we love living in Beloit! We feel safe in the community and can see ourselves growing old here. The best thing you could do is just visit Beloit for a weekend or maybe even a week. Take time to go in to the different businesses, drive around the community and ask random people questions (see how willing people are to help out or talk with you...this is one way to get a honest perception of people in the community --- if they are nice or rude.).

If you like a more relaxed lifestyle, hunting, fishing, general small town atmosphere with city amenities than you'll love Beloit. Oh...by the way, a movie ticket here in Beloit is only $4.00 for an adult and $3.00 for child (6 yrs and under I think is free).:-)

U.S.A.

#12 Feb 25, 2009
Why does Beloit Pizza Hut pizza taste funny? My wife was a 911 dispatcher in Beliot nice quit town , thats Funny. Beliot has drugs and crimes worse than most town their size. Get a 911 radio and you will see. Just because they try to hide it does not mean they dont have high crime. Then if the criminals has the right last name they get off scott free.
Life simplified

Beloit, KS

#13 Feb 25, 2009
Frankly, if the Pizza Hut's pizza has a funny taste than you need to bring that to their attention. I'm not sure what to make of your statement regarding your wife being a dispatcher in Beloit...I don't think ANY town is without crime or illegal activity. Do you?!? Nor do I think there is a conspiracy to "hide" the fact it is here [just like any where]. I don't need to sit beside a "911" radio (assuming your talking about a general "scanner") to listen...I have better things to do. The public citizens around here have an overall positive concern for their neighbors, greet you and are willing to help out. If you don't want crime or drugs than you need to live on your own remote island...alone --- not in "Beliot" or any where else.

I really think people need to have a more positive outlook about things...all things in general -- but it does seem like people who have negative remarks or who are pessimistic usually overshadow the good things. The world is full of good and bad...why dwell constantly on the bad?

U.S.A.

#14 Feb 25, 2009
Oh , I get is put our blinders on. Ask all the kids that vandalized that house about two sets of rules. No you dont want to dwell on bad things in Beliot you also dont seem to do anything to change it. It doesnt matter to you if your neighbers kids are treated bad as long as it not yours. It was not me blowing smoke about Beliot.
Life simplified wrote:
Frankly, if the Pizza Hut's pizza has a funny taste than you need to bring that to their attention. I'm not sure what to make of your statement regarding your wife being a dispatcher in Beloit...I don't think ANY town is without crime or illegal activity. Do you?!? Nor do I think there is a conspiracy to "hide" the fact it is here [just like any where]. I don't need to sit beside a "911" radio (assuming your talking about a general "scanner") to listen...I have better things to do. The public citizens around here have an overall positive concern for their neighbors, greet you and are willing to help out. If you don't want crime or drugs than you need to live on your own remote island...alone --- not in "Beliot" or any where else.
I really think people need to have a more positive outlook about things...all things in general -- but it does seem like people who have negative remarks or who are pessimistic usually overshadow the good things. The world is full of good and bad...why dwell constantly on the bad?
maybemoving

Evansville, IN

#15 Mar 9, 2009
Thanks for all the posts regarding Beloit. I did visit and you are correct. It is a small town and all the good things people have said about Beloit seem to be true. At a different point in my life I think it could be an Ideal place to live. But at this point I think I want the lifestyle of a larger city. Thank you for all of your information, I really did take everything into consideration when making my decision about if I should take the job in Beloit. I guess my movie tickets will not be getting any cheaper :) (I ate at the Plum Creek and the steak was very good)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cawker City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News HUD Files Housing Discrimination Charge by Rent... Apr '16 KsAnderson72 1
What the hell happened to Matthew L. (Sep '15) Sep '15 LarryPurcelly 1
property? (Sep '07) Jun '15 tilthawhlsfaloff 7
What can we do in Jewell county to get some bus... (Apr '09) Apr '15 Hobart 26
Drugs in Beloit (Apr '10) Nov '14 creepy708 17
News Darrell D. Kroulik 1961 - 2014 (Jun '14) Jun '14 Peggy Wright 1
News Kansas Police Sergeant Arrested For DUI (Nov '13) Dec '13 Agree 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cawker City Mortgages