Tulsa Woman Dies After Being Electrocuted

A woman who fell through her attic and was electrocuted died Wednesday evening, according to Tulsa Police. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Datz It

Tulsa, OK

#93 Jun 25, 2010
For those looking to rewire their home I will give you some pointers as I am a retired electrician. One.. it is doubtful a 1000 to 1500 square foot home would cost you 10 grand to rewire as someone suggested. In an older home you do have to deal with plaster walls and ceilings... this makes for a more difficult job require more labor hours.

1. Most estimates are free from electrical firms. For a whole house rewire, get at least 5 estimates.
2. Make sure they are LICENSED, INSURED, and BONDED. Ask for a copy of all three.
3. Ask for references and check out BBB.
4. I myself would not work with junk parts... So you are going to find parts pricing about an extra 25% to 50% if you go with commercial grade panels and switches and receptacles. It's worth it.
5. In most older homes because of modern electric ranges, pools, hot tubs, etc... being added all the time... even if YOU don't want any of those items ... For a small cost difference I would go with a 200 amp upgrade to the main panel. When selling the home, not only has it been rewired... but additional appliances and or rooms can be added without putting a strain on the electrical system.
6. Talk over with the estimator what additional electric things you would like. For example additional outlets on kitchen cabinets, or walls that don't require an outlet, but would be a convenience if you had one there. Additional outlets in garages, storage shed, eave outlets for Christmas lighting.. Under cabinet lighting in kitchen, etc. etc.

I would think you could get this all done for a 1000 to 1500 sq. ft. home between 3 to 6 grand, depending on complexity of the rewire. This has to do with the structure of the house itself. Most people may consider cost out of reach. You are doing a major project that will add to the integrity of your home and safety for another 75 years or so. If you are trying to sell your home in the future... a modern day rewire will pay itself back in most cases. Hope this helps.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#94 Jun 25, 2010
Our house was built in 1955~it had the glass style fuses in the fuse box and if you touched the microwave w/ damp hands it would shock you if it was plugged in. The home originally had only an attic fan and some of the outlets were put in upside down(3 prong) but only wired w/ two prongs~so no ground. We blew out one computer before we realized none of the plugs were grounded~The cost to re-wire and put in a modern switch breaker box was around $1800~I want to say it was approx $65 an hour. We did this so we could put in an 3.5 ton A/C unit since the house didnt have one.
BA Boy

Broken Arrow, OK

#95 Jun 26, 2010
Datz It wrote:
For those looking to rewire their home I will give you some pointers as I am a retired electrician. One.. it is doubtful a 1000 to 1500 square foot home would cost you 10 grand to rewire as someone suggested. In an older home you do have to deal with plaster walls and ceilings... this makes for a more difficult job require more labor hours.
1. Most estimates are free from electrical firms. For a whole house rewire, get at least 5 estimates.
2. Make sure they are LICENSED, INSURED, and BONDED. Ask for a copy of all three.
3. Ask for references and check out BBB.
4. I myself would not work with junk parts... So you are going to find parts pricing about an extra 25% to 50% if you go with commercial grade panels and switches and receptacles. It's worth it.
5. In most older homes because of modern electric ranges, pools, hot tubs, etc... being added all the time... even if YOU don't want any of those items ... For a small cost difference I would go with a 200 amp upgrade to the main panel. When selling the home, not only has it been rewired... but additional appliances and or rooms can be added without putting a strain on the electrical system.
6. Talk over with the estimator what additional electric things you would like. For example additional outlets on kitchen cabinets, or walls that don't require an outlet, but would be a convenience if you had one there. Additional outlets in garages, storage shed, eave outlets for Christmas lighting.. Under cabinet lighting in kitchen, etc. etc.
I would think you could get this all done for a 1000 to 1500 sq. ft. home between 3 to 6 grand, depending on complexity of the rewire. This has to do with the structure of the house itself. Most people may consider cost out of reach. You are doing a major project that will add to the integrity of your home and safety for another 75 years or so. If you are trying to sell your home in the future... a modern day rewire will pay itself back in most cases. Hope this helps.
Your behind times stupid every things much higher now, you find some one to rewire one those junk houses for 3000 dollars and ill kiss you azszzzz. Ever heard of arc fault circuiits under the new code and seen the price of copper wire this isnt 1972.

Since: Mar 09

Owasso, OK

#96 Jun 26, 2010
Owasso Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I write under Owasso Mom, and I didn't write this....do not know who did--or how.
Somehow we are both under Owasso Mom then because I did write it and that is the name I signed up for - that is really weird - you would think we are not allowed to have the same name on here.

Since: Mar 09

Owasso, OK

#97 Jun 26, 2010
Hear Me Out wrote:
<quoted text>
There's plenty of businesses that do this kind of work you can call. Don't be expecting them to send out a woman to fix it for you because none of them hire women to do this kind of work.
Seriously - you are ignorant and a waste of my time - she did hire someone to do the job and he was there to do the job. What happened was an unfortunate accident but for you to turn this into something that is sexist is just unreal.

My thoughts and prayers go out to both of the families involved.
LRW

United States

#98 Jun 27, 2010
She was a good friend of mine who was trying to help the technician. She was a pro-active person in all things....It was a terrible accident and I pray for the technician who was there....He was tore up too as well as the family who was present as well....
Hear Me Out

Broken Arrow, OK

#99 Jun 27, 2010
Friend wrote:
To the person that wrote this comment she was a divorce woman and if you read the report she had commissioned a repair MAN to do the job.
I'm person you're referring to and she should of let the repairman do his job without interfering with his efforts.
Cherish

Broken Arrow, OK

#101 Jun 29, 2010
Hear Me Out wrote:
Sorry ladies, but somethings need left for the husbands to do. Guys know what to do in these types of situations.
Hopefully more of you ladies will ask for your husbands help, if you ever encounter a situation such as this.
Sorry but not all women have a husband! This women was totally independent and would never depend on a man for anything! That is why she hired a professional and he should have never let her show him the problem! He should have done what he was supposed to do on his own!
Cherish

Broken Arrow, OK

#102 Jun 29, 2010
service technician wrote:
<quoted text>
for the record the entire company is trained in basic first aid and cpr. dont pass judgement on someone or a company when you do not know the facts. turning off power and calling for help is the first thing you do. you do not want the situation to be made worse by having two people killed. it was an unfortunate accident.
I will say that the tech did administer CPR and I appreciate that. However when you are dealing with something electrical and water is involved you may want to think about turning off power before you start working around electrical wires! just a thought.... I do not blame the tech and I agree it was an accident!
Cherish

Broken Arrow, OK

#103 Jun 29, 2010
Datz It wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than knob and tube... it could have been like my home where the service wires ran from meter can to the main breaker box with no circuit protection or even encased in a conduit. My home was built in 1956. Most of my neighbors homes are this way. I have corrected mine. For those that still have knob and tube wiring... it's time to update your service and wiring.
This home was built in 1928 and the AC compressor should have never been put inn the attic!
Cherish

Broken Arrow, OK

#104 Jun 29, 2010
Owasso Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
And let me guess - those of us that are either not married, widowed, or their husbands are out of town - we are supposed to just rot and die because a man wasn't here to do it for us?? Really - get a grip - it was an accident - any man could have fallen through the floor too.
Are you an idiot? I said she was not married! That is why she hired a professional to come do the job for her because she didnt know how to fix it! The tech was a man and yes he could have been hurt too! Thank God he wasnt. I guess you are totally missing my point! FYI: please be more respectful when you post stuff publicaly, this was my mother!
Cherish

Broken Arrow, OK

#105 Jun 29, 2010
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't want you representing my company, you are so NOT professional at all. And you have not sympathy what so ever. May she didn't have a husband and we don't know why she was in the attic, the tech does, we don't.
BA boy is an idiot! She didnt have a husband that is the reason she called a professional "man" to come do the job! He asked her to come up in the attic and show him the problem! please dont be so quick to judge because that "dummy" you were refering to was my mother!
Cherish

Broken Arrow, OK

#106 Jun 29, 2010
Owasso Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow we are both under Owasso Mom then because I did write it and that is the name I signed up for - that is really weird - you would think we are not allowed to have the same name on here.
thats ok! I am just super sensitve due to the fact this was my mom! We just burried her yesterday and I am totally greiving! I should not have even read this and am not going to read anymore! too devistating how mean people can be! just for the record she was remodeling her house and has done so much and this was one of the last things she had to complete. This had nothing to do with man or women! she was recently divorced and didnt want to ask her x husband to help pay for such an expensive job. She figured it out on her own and was able to call airco. Also, my step dad had all of the wiring fixed by a very nice professional electrician yesterday! may my mama RIP and I wont read this anymore!
David

Tulsa, OK

#107 Jun 29, 2010
BA Boy wrote:
<quoted text>Ive seen all kinds working for edison electric we say theres 2 kinds of home owners dumb and dumber.
I guess the same thing could be said of electricians!
Stevan Hallaway

United States

#109 Jun 29, 2010
Hey BA boy... Whats ur name???
moe_ftg

United States

#111 Jul 1, 2010
cherish if you do get back on i love you and you are one of the strongest people i know......and your right people can be so mean i wish you wouldn't have read these.....

Since: Mar 09

Owasso, OK

#112 Jul 2, 2010
Cherish wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you an idiot? I said she was not married! That is why she hired a professional to come do the job for her because she didnt know how to fix it! The tech was a man and yes he could have been hurt too! Thank God he wasnt. I guess you are totally missing my point! FYI: please be more respectful when you post stuff publicaly, this was my mother!
I am not sure if you will come back and read these or not but I would like to tell you something. I am truly sorry for your loss and was not making it a bad thing that she was up there. There is someone else on here saying that a woman should not have been up there - I was simply pointing out that she may not have had someone to do it for her. So no - I do not think that I am an idiot because I was not claiming this was her fault in any way. FYI: I was not being disrespectful to her in any way - I was standing up for the fact that she did not HAVE to HAVE a man there to do this for her.

It is truly a hard thing to lose a parent especially when you are not expecting to - I have been there before - although I will tell you I do not have a clue what you are experiencing at this point as we all handle things differently.
Unknown

United States

#113 Jul 2, 2010
I am so sorry for your loss. Thoughts & prayers are with your family.
Brittany

Tulsa, OK

#115 Jan 30, 2013
Everything all of you idiots are saying is WRONG. I am her youngest daughter and I was who had to carry my dead mother off a wire because the Airco guy was too f'n stupid to even turn the power off. Everything the news and police said were WRONG!! F all you stupid idiots and you will ALL burn in hell. OH BTW Airco is PAYING big time for their lack of training and horrible mistake that took my beautiful mom from me and my sister and her 7 grandchildren. I wish any and all of you would have the balls to say any of this to me in person. F'n pu**ys! Hey Airco, LEARN TO TRAIN THE RETARDS YOU HIRE!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catoosa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
micah hall 33 min old friend 1
Review: Vintage Pearl 6 hr ssteadmn 1
Okla. teacher fired for snack run with 11 kids ... Dec 23 Casual Observor 1
Diesel Prices Slowly Falling At Oklahoma Gas St... Dec 23 eve 1
Mysteries At Oklahoma Lake Remain For Families ... Dec 21 hollywood here we... 3
lets have fun tonite Dec 21 wow 1
Meet the teenage sex swap lovers (Jul '13) Dec 19 hey 183
Catoosa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Catoosa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Catoosa News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Catoosa

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:37 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:37PM
Tough break: Sharp bettors reportedly backed K.C. before Smith's injury
NFL 1:39 PM
Ryan Mathews out, Keenan Allen doubtful for Chargers
Yahoo! Sports 2:01 PM
Chiefs quarterback Smith out with lacerated spleen
Yahoo! Sports 4:37 PM
Chargers RB Mathews out against Chiefs
Bleacher Report 6:17 PM
Smith Injury Gives Chiefs Gauge of QB's Value