Tax Commission Changes Credit For Electric Cars

A lot of Oklahomans scrambled to buy electronic cars after they learned they could get some for practically free thanks to state and federal tax credits. Full Story
First Prev
of 128
Next Last
Jim

Tulsa, OK

#1 Sep 18, 2009
How can a stimulas package work if the rules are changed after you have spent your money. If they want to change this for future purchases that is fine, but I have a tag and insurance on my electric car. The Oklahoma Tax Commission was happy to take my $350 for the car tag. Now they want to say it may not be a car.
Next time they want me to spend money, they will have to give me the tax credit first so I know they will not change their minds.
Sandite Sam

Bodden Town, Cayman Islands

#2 Sep 19, 2009
Jim wrote:
How can a stimulas package work if the rules are changed after you have spent your money. If they want to change this for future purchases that is fine, but I have a tag and insurance on my electric car. The Oklahoma Tax Commission was happy to take my $350 for the car tag. Now they want to say it may not be a car.
Next time they want me to spend money, they will have to give me the tax credit first so I know they will not change their minds.
Tell us how you use your electric car, Jim.
Im here and your not

Powder Springs, GA

#3 Sep 19, 2009
To those that are looking for a free ride when it comes to purchasing anything, SORRY, its not going to happen very long.
vance

Tulsa, OK

#4 Sep 19, 2009
I have went thru a lot of frustration trying to order one of these electric cars.I had to pay $5000.00 down which was not easy to come up with. I tried to do as much research as I could before I ordered this car to make sure I would get the tax credits from state and federal. Plus the news stations saying you could get this credit. Went to Ada Ok. to purchase one. My LSV Tomberlin E-4 which carries 6 has windshield horn front and rear lights seat belts everything that makes it street level. Now Paula Ross with the Ok. Tax Commission says if it looks like a golf cart it is not legal. Look at this club car carryall. Its a golf cart with a box on the back. Is somebody getting kick backs from Club Car. God forbid that we can get a break from Federal and State at the same time Thanks a lot Oklahoma Tax Commission on this emergency vote.
Like I said I would not have bought one without seeing all the media coverage on this. Even with these credts I was going to be out of pocket about $3500. Which took me a long time to save, I was saving for a good used golf cart when this came up.
teresa

Hennessey, OK

#5 Sep 19, 2009
I just googled Club Car --- can someone tell me why it is "legal" and Toberlin is not?? They look exactly alike!! I'm going to agree with Vance that someone has got to be getting a kickback from the Club car manufacturers! There is no difference in the two vehicles, yet the Tax Commission is approving one over the other?? And, why did the tag agent take the excise tax/tag fees for something that is not legal??
Tax Commission has a lot of explaining to do! I think we should band together and file a class action lawsuit against the tax commission if they don't back down!
And "Sandite Sam"---we use them to go to post office, grocery store, school, ect. They will reduce pollution! Geeze!
Jim

Tulsa, OK

#6 Sep 19, 2009
Sandite Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us how you use your electric car, Jim.
I use it for short trips that would other wise require a gas powered car. I live in a lake town and make several trips between my house and the boat docks. Mine holds 4 people so it also works great for going to dinner. Most of the streets have speed limits less than 35 so it can go about anywhere that I would have used a gas powered car. That is why they passed the clean fuel bill in the first place.
Ashley

United States

#7 Sep 19, 2009
Better look at Justice Golf Cars in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. How did they get an approval letter so fast on Oct. 18th. on their electric vehicles which look no different than the others. Something smells like a payoff to someone in the Oklahoma Tax Commission. I personally am going to use ours the go back and forth to our farm which is 2 miles away to check on cattle. People that are buying anything at all because of tax credits will have to know that Oklahoma Tax Commission might rewrite their own laws whenever they want to. I have already called the tax commission and will be calling my representative next week in complaints.
Ashley

United States

#8 Sep 19, 2009
I stated on my comments above Justice Gold Cards received their approval letter on Oct. 18. it was Sept. 18th the next day after Oklahoma Tax Commission had their emergency meeting to reword their tax policies.
scott

Oklahoma City, OK

#9 Sep 19, 2009
This company was not "in" on anything. If you think for a second that someone at the OTC is going to jeopardize their job by altering the bill to make a little money your crazy. I have several friends (Senators, District Attorney, City Attorney, friend in Capitol,) and I am forcing them to deal with this issue. The greatest mistake we can make is letting this issue die down and fade away. I personally think we should set up two picket locations. One at the capitol and one at the OTC headquarters. If someone here thinks this sounds interesting let me know. I could probably get some important/abundance of people to show up and picket against this emergency rule. We all know that it was unfair/corrupt/ etc etc etc etc etc.... SO WHAT DO WE WANT TO DO ABOUT IT. I say we make the news!
Troy

Evans, GA

#10 Sep 19, 2009
The reason they denied Tomberlin is because they are the number one selling car, classed as a low speed vehicle, in America. Something smells at the OTC. We need to picket. I called and Tomberlin is licensced to sell cars in Oklahoma but ClubCar is not.

They approve
Jim wrote:
teresa

Hennessey, OK

#11 Sep 20, 2009
Scott - tell us WHEN and WHERE! I know a lot of people upset about this and they'll show up at either location! Have you contacted the consumer reporters from TV yet? The more people contact them, the more likely they will be "in our corner" too! I just read the Sunday Oklahoman and, unless I missed it, there is NOTHING mentioned about this huge problem.

I think we all agree it's unfair what the tax commission has done. If they were going to do something about this, they should have done it months ago - before lots of people spent thousands of dollars on a government promise. OTC is supposed to be staffed with smart people and they should have seen this coming.

And the jury is still out on Justice Golf.....it is just too coincidental about their letter! How in the world did they submit a letter AND get approval, both, on the same day?? In government, that's almost impossible! So, yes, I think it is possible they "knew someone who knew someone" to get this thru so fast before any of the other companies had a chance. Especially since their car, the Club Carryall, looks just like all the others - except it's more expensive! Someone - anyone, please convince me otherwise!

Let us know when you want to picket and we'll be there!!
scott wrote:
This company was not "in" on anything. If you think for a second that someone at the OTC is going to jeopardize their job by altering the bill to make a little money your crazy. I have several friends (Senators, District Attorney, City Attorney, friend in Capitol,) and I am forcing them to deal with this issue. The greatest mistake we can make is letting this issue die down and fade away. I personally think we should set up two picket locations. One at the capitol and one at the OTC headquarters. If someone here thinks this sounds interesting let me know. I could probably get some important/abundance of people to show up and picket against this emergency rule. We all know that it was unfair/corrupt/ etc etc etc etc etc.... SO WHAT DO WE WANT TO DO ABOUT IT. I say we make the news!
merlin

Broken Arrow, OK

#14 Sep 21, 2009
If I want to play golf, I buy a golf cart. Simple. I drive a '07 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 4.7 V8. 17 miles to the gallon, and I love it!...with Oklahoma weather like it is, tell me how that electric car is workin for ya, when we get one of our bad winters. I go where I want when I want. You folks stay with your "Green cars".....Our cows, and "protected marshlands" give off more gases that are harmful, than all of our vehicles. Global warming is such a joke, as to be almost insane.
Im here and your not

Powder Springs, GA

#16 Sep 21, 2009
Merlin, right on. I drive a 03 ford 4x4 and it gets 16mpg city 17 highway on a good day. Everyone can keep their green vehicles and stay home on snowy days.
Marty

Oklahoma City, OK

#19 Sep 21, 2009
For once I found a government program that would help the middle class citizen instead of the deadbeats that don't want to work, and now because
too many people are trying to take advantage of the program, the state has changed the rules. Are you telling me Club Car is not a golf cart? If they want to change this for future purchases that is fine, but don't change the rules in the middle of the game.
Ashley

United States

#20 Sep 21, 2009
Marty you have got it right. What are they going to decide next go all the way back to 1995 when they started this credit and audit the people that bought the low speed vehicles and make them pay back taxes. We are getting the shaft because they don't like their own rules. Why even offer tax credits if you aren't allowed to use them.
Steve Beebe CPA_PFS

Hugo, OK

#22 Sep 22, 2009
We researched the state and federal tax credits at some length before we advised our clients on their application. The tax Oklahoma Tax Commission is simply trying to change the law through their regulation process rather then letting the legislature change it in session. The only change in facts from last year is the federal credit which made it advantagous for people to act. These Commission acts are not good tax policy, not good economic development policy, and certainly denotes lack of character in state government.
Seriously

Tulsa, OK

#24 Sep 22, 2009
I smell a rat! Why is Club Car Carryall 2 in there? Tomberlin is the same with MORE features. The tax commission must have some connection with Club Car!
You can not say you are going to do something and then take it back. You can stop it from this point forward.
Tony

Meridian, OK

#25 Sep 22, 2009
Ditto to the majority - I my correcspondence with several legislators, it sounds like this may come up in the special session they'll most likely have to do for state funding (utilizing the rainy day fund). If not, I have a sense there will be a class action lawsuit.
Herbert

United States

#26 Sep 22, 2009
Dig into this story. Ask the Chairman: Will they release any communication from Club Car to you? Did the commission meet with the CEO of Wheego and ride in the car prior to the emergency ruling. How did cash approve Club Car less than 24 hours after the emergency rule change. Why does my EZ Go not qualify, I put fabric doors and a bed on the back. Has the commission recieved any information froom other companies seeking to qualify? How do you qualify to get the blessing of the Tax Commission? Why would they not approved anyone but Club Car? The Emergency rule says akin to Golf Cars then approved one? The Club Car approved has been built for almost 20 years and never been approved for on road use until now, why? What were the stadards the commission relied on? Who benefits from denying all the compeition? Is ClubCar approved by our Automotive Licensce department? Has anyone ever recieved a tag for a ClubCar? Wheego is not even built yet and has no dealers, how did they get approved. When they met was the meeting on the record? Were the other companies offered to attend? If I want to haul wood at the farm I will buy a ClubCar and I do not want to sweat in a closed in car. Something is odd.
Meets with Wheego
17th issues Press Release stating no Golf Cars
Less than 24 hours approves ClubCar
Will not answer any questions when I call.
Oklahoma now has Czar apparently. I hope News 6 or some aggresive journalist digs into this. It is not fair.
Jimmie

Tulsa, OK

#27 Sep 22, 2009
Just goes to show you, the government can change the rules anytime they what, they should give back the money that has been paid on down payments and make sure you will get the tax credit if it was purchased before the new tax change. Even if you didn't agree with the tax credit, who knows what they will change next. Next thing you know, they will double our state tax due to an emergency!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 128
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catoosa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Okla. teacher fired for snack run with 11 kids ... Tue Casual Observor 1
Diesel Prices Slowly Falling At Oklahoma Gas St... Tue eve 1
Mysteries At Oklahoma Lake Remain For Families ... Dec 21 hollywood here we... 3
lets have fun tonite Dec 21 wow 1
Meet the teenage sex swap lovers (Jul '13) Dec 19 hey 183
Balls of Fire Dec 18 Ryan Johnson 1
DHS Workers Speak Out On Agency (Jul '08) Dec 18 lynn 1,491
Catoosa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Catoosa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Catoosa News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Catoosa

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:34 am PST

Yahoo! Sports 9:34AM
Rain slows probe of McClain's house fire
NBC Sports10:06 AM
DeMarco Murray practicing for Cowboys
Yahoo! Sports10:12 AM
Redskins' RG3 limited with sprained shoulder
NBC Sports 2:07 PM
Why aren't other teams lining up for Jason Garrett?
Yahoo! Sports 2:25 PM
Romo's best version looking good for Cowboys