National Weather Service Confirms 7 T...

National Weather Service Confirms 7 Tulsa Area Tornadoes Thursday

There are 5 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from May 15, 2010, titled National Weather Service Confirms 7 Tulsa Area Tornadoes Thursday. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

The National Weather Service says seven tornadoes touched down in the Tulsa area on Thursday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

“Veteran US Army/Vietnam War”

Since: May 09

Tulsa, Oklahoma

#1 May 15, 2010
I do not mind when any local TV-news weather person interrupts regular TV broadcasts when bad weather is happening locally.

I consider the official local TV viewing area to include all of the towns and cities listed in the AT&T Greater Tulsa Region Phone Book and the areas where people can get the Tulsa TV stations with antennas only.

On Monday, when the bad weather was happening in Northwestern, Southwestern, Southeaster Oklahoma completely outside of the with-a-TV-antenna viewing area, they should not have taken over the local TV stations.

They should have interrupted a network commercial during a program instead of taking over the TV station for 4 or 5 hours like they did.

They should have told people if you can pick up an OKC TV station or its on your cable network, turn to that station or channel.

On Tuesday, for KOTV Ch. 6, almost all of the follow-up reports of the bad weather was done by KOTV's sister station Ch. 9 in Oklahoma City.

The Tulsa TV stations which have news need to stop being ALL of Oklahoma TV stations. And the weather people should NOT say "We are having (type of weather) in (location outside of Northeastern Oklahoma or outside of the State of Oklahoma)."

If it's raining in Dallas, Texas, they should NOT say, "We have rain in Texas." That's literally a lie because they are inside of the Tulsa City limits if they work for Ch.6 or Ch.2 or North of Redfork in Southwestern Tulsa if Ch.8. Redfork is NOT in WEST Tulsa. It's in Southwest Tulsa.

Tulsa does have a real West Tulsa and it is SW of downtown Tulsa and between the 2 refineries in Tulsa. West Tulsa used to be a town of its own.

Redfork used to be a town of its own with its own post office.

Carbondale, also in SW Tulsa, used to be a town with its own post office.
Jake

Tulsa, OK

#2 May 15, 2010
Yeah because TV is real important stuff. I hear ya.
Bill

Inola, OK

#3 May 15, 2010
Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... There are other channels besides 6, so find one if you don't like how they cover the weather during storms.
Sharon

United States

#6 May 18, 2010
We live in Verdigris and have damage from the storm/tornado that came through the morning of May 13th. I would like to know why our sirens did not sound on thursday morning when the tornado came through. Even if it was questionable as to the whether it was a F-0 or F-2, I would rather be safe than sorry! We are seriously concerned! I also signed up to receive a phone call letting us know to take cover and there was NO phone call! We depend on the weather service and feel like we were let down.
Barry Lamb

United States

#7 May 18, 2010
Sharon:

I'm the police chief and emergency manager for Verdigris. The siren question is a fair and good question.

There are three criteria for sounding the storm sirens in Verdigris:

1) A tornado warning issued by the National Weather Service for Verdigris, whether or not a spotter has actually seen a tornado or funnel.

What happened: NWS did not issue a tornado warning. The active alerts at the time were a Thunderstorm Watch and several Thunderstorm Warnings.

2) A trained spotter report of a tornado or funnel, whether or not NWS issued a warning.

What happened: There were no spotter reports of a tornado in or near Verdigris, only after the fact damage reports.

3) Straight line winds in excess of 90 mph.

What happened: Reports were that winds were not that strong as the front entered our area.

Of course, no emergency manager likes a "sneaker" storm...nor I assure you does the national weather service.

I had came into work myself to set off the sirens if need be. I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating the situation is to me.

The town of Verdigris does not have a phone alert system, and as there are several different ones available, I can't speak for yours. The one I have is dependant upon NWS info.

What came through on my Text Alert was a Severe Thunderstorm Warning at 4:37 a.m., another at 4:58 a.m. and a Severe Thunderstorm Watch at 5:04 a.m. Another severe thunderstorm strom warning was issued at 5:09. I believe the tornado had just occurred or was occurring at that point. Damage reports started coming in through county dispatch at about 5:15.

Even though there have been great advancements in early warning and forcasting, there are still situations in which adequate advanced warning or any warning at all occurs. Fortunately, that is not as often as it use to be, but it still happens. Nature can still pull one over on all the technology, and did so on the morning of the 13th.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catoosa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best hookup sites that actually work 2 hr Micah 6
MENTAL ILLNESS is at a Rampage Across the U.S.A... 9 hr Go to Hell 2
News 'Pioneer Woman,' Pass The Pen (Nov '09) 9 hr WarForOil 7
News Mother Suspected Of Stabbing One Child, Abducti... May 16 WarForOil 3
Elisa Daniels,she became t Mary Daniels May 16 Martin 2
News What to do in Oklahoma on May 14, 2018: Check o... May 14 wannabet 1
"Haunted" Labadie Mansion (Oklahoma) (Sep '09) May 13 bob 14

Catoosa Jobs

Personal Finance

Catoosa Mortgages