Episcopal nuns' exit widens rift

Sep 4, 2009 | Posted by: Joe DeCaro | Full story: www.baltimoresun.com

In a move that religious scholars say is unprecedented, 10 of the 12 nuns at an Episcopal convent in Catonsville left their church Thursday to become Roman Catholics, the latest defectors from a denomination divided over the ordination of gay men and women ...

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Sep 8, 2009

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

"'We know our beliefs and where we are,' said Mother Christina Christie, superior of the order that came to Baltimore in 1872.'We were drifting farther apart from the more liberal road the Episcopal Church is traveling. We are now more at home in the Roman Catholic Church.'"

Mother Christie has chosen the road less traveled.

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

If people leave a particular church over a doctrinal issue, to join another church or start their own church, it's a good thing.

People should stop thinking that splitting and leaving is bad when in reality the opposite is true.

This is exactly why we have so many denominations in Christendom. Because not all Christians can agree on everything.

Change is difficult. Especially in a religious setting. I'm among the first to admit that. I was born and raised a Lutheran for more than 40 years and was, and still am, an active church-goer.

But I left the Lutheran Church after more than 40 years and after a long time of prayer and searching for another church that I liked.

That is why I joined the denomination called The United Church Of Christ.

It was not an easy decision, but I know it was the right one for me.

If a person does not feel comfortable or welcome in a particular denomination or church, or any other religious institution, then one should leave and find a place that one enjoys and is spiritually rewarding.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
... If a person does not feel comfortable or welcome in a particular denomination or church, or any other religious institution, then one should leave and find a place that one enjoys and is spiritually rewarding.
But this isn't just one person; a religious order actually decided to leave TEC: this is unheard of.

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
But this isn't just one person; a religious order actually decided to leave TEC: this is unheard of.
It doesn't matter. And it is NOT unheard of. Martin Luther sparked Protestantism. That doesn't mean every Protestant is a Lutheran, does it ?

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2009

<quoted text>
It doesn't matter. And it is NOT unheard of. Martin Luther sparked Protestantism ...
But these nuns did the REVERSE of the Protestant revolution: they left TEC for Catholicism en mass.

It does matter, and that's why this story made news.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2009

Judged:

The same story AGAIN joie?

Running out of stories to spread your hate?

Troll idiot.......

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2009

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
But these nuns did the REVERSE of the Protestant revolution: they left TEC for Catholicism en mass.
It does matter, and that's why this story made news.
It does NOT matter.

Why is it if someone decides to leave a particular Christian denomination over gay issues (like I did), it's "newsworthy".

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2009

Judged:

... Why is it if someone decides to leave a particular Christian denomination over gay issues (like I did), it's "newsworthy".
It's newsworthy because a religous order of nuns left TEC, but they didn't leave only over gay issues.

In their own words:

"'We know our beliefs and where we are,' said Mother Christina Christie, superior of the order that came to Baltimore in 1872.
'We were drifting farther apart from the more liberal road the Episcopal Church is traveling. We are now more at home in the Roman Catholic Church.'"

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2009

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
It's newsworthy because a religous order of nuns left TEC, but they didn't leave only over gay issues.
In their own words:
"'We know our beliefs and where we are,' said Mother Christina Christie, superior of the order that came to Baltimore in 1872.
'We were drifting farther apart from the more liberal road the Episcopal Church is traveling. We are now more at home in the Roman Catholic Church.'"
So they are more interested in a religion than spirituality or Jesus.

Gotcha..........

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2009

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
So they are more interested in a religion than spirituality or Jesus.
Gotcha ...
You got nothing.

"'We know our beliefs and where we are,' said Mother Christina Christie, superior of the order ..."

These nuns know their beliefs, including their belief in Jesus; you don't, but other Episcopalians do:

"... Other Episcopalians frustrated with the direction of the American church have broken away and sought separate recognition within the worldwide Anglican Communion. One such group, the Anglican Church of North America, formed from four dioceses and several individual parishes in the United States and Canada, held its first national assembly in June.

But the sisters opted to 'go to Rome,' saying they felt close to Catholic tradition.

'There is so much the same in Anglo-Catholic elements,' Sister Catherine Grace Bowen said. In both churches, she said,'sacraments are a way of life.'"

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2009

You have THREE versions of this same story on here TROLL EDITOR......

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2009

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
You have THREE versions of this same story on here ...
That's right, they're VERSIONS, not identical stories; the stories are all from different media outlets w/different quotes and info.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Catonsville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Catonsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Catonsville People Search