York Music Shop buys, sells and trades guitar equipment

Full story: InYork 34
Jim Singleton has been buying and selling guitars for almost 40 years and recently opened his new Springettsbury Township location, the York Music Shop. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
For real

Dover, PA

#21 Dec 20, 2009
Customer 101 wrote:
After I had spent two minutes dialing in a tone on the amp (at a low volume with no distortion) the manager came over, turned off the amp while I was still playing, unplugged the 1/4" cable from my guitar, and then said, "I'm on the phone trying to conduct business."
I guess he didn't get the concept that a customer in the store with money in his pocket should take precedent over one on the phone who was probably just asking questions? Sounds like this place isn't gonna last long! Maybe a few calls to the BBB would improve customer service?
Bill

York, PA

#22 Mar 11, 2010
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who has been disrespected by this jerk. I have heard about at least 5 more incidents of similar nature. All the folk who were treated badly were real potential customers ready to deal and purchase. Imagine the sales opportunities lost by this clown because of his arrogance. I haven't stepped foot into his den of hell since and will never again.
Eric

York, PA

#23 Apr 30, 2010
Bill, I read your comments from the first page and your last and it seems that you are just hung on one bad experience, I have been a Campbells customer for sometime and had a chance to go in to YMS for the first time a few days back, not the biggest place but a mountain of gear stuffed in there. I was suprised to find such a qualified staff, a certified recording engineer, 2 fantastic teachers, heck, the younger blonde guy working there is even a gearhead. Apparently they had another store in Catonsville that they shut down and people drive up here to buy stuff. They are all great people, Jim is a true business man as is all of his staff which is a nice staff. Seems like they are here to stay and for that I am glad.
Bill

Hershey, PA

#25 Oct 11, 2010
Sorry for the late post, Eric. I just wanted to point out that others have posted similar negative treatment and I know of at least 5 of my colleagues that have had similar experiences. Therefor my final comments are based on several cummulative experiences by several would be customers.
Ryan

Mount Wolf, PA

#27 Jun 7, 2011
It's a shame that the place DOES have nice stuff but Jim (owner) is a bit strange. It is uncomfortable in there. You feel as if you're every move is being closely watched. Too pricey for most people anyway. If I want to look at fancy gear, I'll look on the internet in the comfort of my own home.
Campbells is a bit sparse, but they CAN order you most anything you want and WILL give you a fair price. Plus ANY guitar you buy from them comes with a FREE setup, free adjustments and free string changes for an entire year. Try getting that from Jim.
Ridiculous

York, PA

#28 Jun 7, 2011
WHY bring up a 2 1/2 year old story?
Ryan

Mount Wolf, PA

#29 Jun 10, 2011
Ridiculous wrote:
WHY bring up a 2 1/2 year old story?
Who's bringing up a 2 1/2 year old story? These guys are still the same, running the shop in the same manner. About the only thing this shop Does have going for it is that it is a "small business". But it's places like this one, that make you not feel guilty for going to Guitar Center to save some bucks and not be made to feel like your on pins and needles unless you buy something.
Jacob J

York, PA

#30 Aug 18, 2011
I would highly recommend going elsewhere to purchase that Martin guitar or Orange amp, or even strings for that matter. The owner of this store automatically assumes that he knows more about instruments than you do and he treats you that way. The prices are high compared to other music shops in the area and way more than Ebay or Craigslist. And don't even think about trading something in there. He will offer you 70% of the private party value...why in the hell would I sell something for less than I could get for it on Craigslist? And store credit is only as good as the store's prices. There was a 1990's used Jumbo Gibson there that was way overpriced of course ($1000 overpriced) and it had dried glue that squirted out from where someone had apparently attempted to re-glue the mustache bridge on and it went all the way across the bridge, it was hideous, and when I asked him about it he said it was just how it was made...now come on, I wasn't born yesterday and I know for a fact that Gibson USA would never let something like that leave their shop.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for the "little guy" trying to compete with the corporate giants, which is why I went there to begin with, but I would at the very least like to be treated with respect and greeted by friendly people, neither of which happened to me there.
tony

York, PA

#31 Aug 18, 2011
The owner will look down his nose at you and squint his eyes while you shop, as if you are not good enough to be in his store and he would prefer you to just leave instead of buying something.
Anything you say to him will be shrugged off as insignificant. I even had $1500 burning a hole in my pocket for a nice guitar.
Very uncomfortable experience!
Jacob J

York, PA

#32 Feb 4, 2012
I would highly recommend going elsewhere to purchase that Martin guitar or Orange amp, or even strings for that matter. The owner of this store automatically assumes that he knows more about instruments than you do and he treats you that way. The prices are high compared to other music shops in the area and way more than Ebay or Craigslist. And don't even think about trading something in there. He will offer you 70% of the private party value...why in the hell would I sell something for less than I could get for it on Craigslist? And store credit is only as good as the store's prices. There was a 1990's used Jumbo Gibson there that was way overpriced of course ($1000 overpriced) and it had dried glue that squirted out from where someone had apparently attempted to re-glue the mustache bridge on and it went all the way across the bridge, it was hideous, and when I asked him about it he said it was just how it was made...now come on, I wasn't born yesterday and I know for a fact that Gibson USA would never let something like that leave their shop.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for the "little guy" trying to compete with the corporate giants, which is why I went there to begin with, but I would at the very least like to be treated with respect and greeted by friendly people, neither of which happened to me there.
AVOID this place

York, PA

#33 Nov 30, 2012
The owner thinks that everyone is beneath him and that he is the all knowing authority on all things musical....as if my 40 years in the business are insignificant. Go somewhere else...You are not worthy of his greatness.
Six

Myerstown, PA

#34 Feb 18, 2013
I ve been repairing stringed instruments for 30 years. I ve stop in the store twice in the last two years. The most recent was Feb 2013. The personnel are disrespectful at best, and are uneducated on making any comments regarding string instruments. There was an older gentleman who acted as if I was interrupting his union coffee break. I ve tried gave them a second chance and it hasn t changed. Their attitude may work in Baltimore, but it s not needed in York. Goes to show money may buy instruments, but it cant by customer service.
For your string instrument needs, I suggest Campbell s Music Service 10 minutes away.
Jim

Myerstown, PA

#35 Feb 18, 2013
This place is really an unprofessional shop with over priced music gear.
TTT

Myerstown, PA

#36 Feb 18, 2013
This is one business that needs to go. They absolutely suck. What a bunch of trolls

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catonsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Baltimore Life Improvement Center Dec 13 Puzzled 1
Do you approve of Ken Ulman as County Executive? Dec 12 FDVDSf 1
Do you approve of Calvin Ball as County Council... Dec 12 Sam CHoi 1
Marines dump Microsoft for Linux OS on Northrop... Dec 7 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Very horny girl someone help!! (Jul '13) Dec 4 ldubhung 5
Special guest helps light the Capitol Christmas... Dec 3 JUrban 1
Snyder's Willow Grove poised to return to Arund... Nov '14 Hoho ho 2
Catonsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web