York Music Shop buys, sells and trades guitar equipment

Full story: InYork

Jim Singleton has been buying and selling guitars for almost 40 years and recently opened his new Springettsbury Township location, the York Music Shop.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of34
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ben

Hillsborough, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 7, 2008
 
It's about time a real shop opened in York.

“I am right.”

Since: Feb 08

Pearl. MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Sounds cool. Hopefully all interested people will stop and buy something. Keep the guy here. Guitars are incredible instruments that you can do so much with if you learn to play them right.

Jim, we are wishing a lot of success in the area. I hope you get the teaching up and running soon. All of my kids love to play the guitar and I will be bringing them by soon.
Bill

Bayville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

I visited the store. My review is this. Too pushy. Not friendly. Insulting. I've played guitars for 35 years, many vintage. They are about selling a guitar not necessarily the right guitar. Like shoes you must try several to get the right fit, everyone's hands are different. You also have to get the right sound. They are reluctant to let you try out their guitars as you might hurt them. So be it but there are other fine local businesses that are not so caddy and pushy. Check out Menchey music, Campbell's, Link's, Wray's music, Guitar center. etc. They all are extremely knowledgeable and helpful and last of all friendly, Look at the guy's photo, that is exactly how he looks in person. After twenty uncomfortible minutes in his store he never smiled once. Gauranteed I will never step foot in his store again. I'd wish you luck but it takes more than luck to run a quality business. Go back to Germany or south of Baltimore were rude is acceptible along with you blonde sales Nazi.
Bet

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 8, 2008
 
Bill wrote:
I visited the store. My review is this. Too pushy. Not friendly. Insulting. I've played guitars for 35 years, many vintage. They are about selling a guitar not necessarily the right guitar. Like shoes you must try several to get the right fit, everyone's hands are different. You also have to get the right sound. They are reluctant to let you try out their guitars as you might hurt them. So be it but there are other fine local businesses that are not so caddy and pushy. Check out Menchey music, Campbell's, Link's, Wray's music, Guitar center. etc. They all are extremely knowledgeable and helpful and last of all friendly, Look at the guy's photo, that is exactly how he looks in person. After twenty uncomfortible minutes in his store he never smiled once. Gauranteed I will never step foot in his store again. I'd wish you luck but it takes more than luck to run a quality business. Go back to Germany or south of Baltimore were rude is acceptible along with you blonde sales Nazi.
Good grief! I was reading your review of this shop with interest. Because of the articulate way you were expressing your opinion, I was leaning toward putting some weight in what you had to say about it. That is until I got to the last line of it where you go off the deep end sounding like some kind of a radical nut case. If you presented the attitude while in the store that came out here, throwing out the word Nazi as if it is a common term used in every day conversation, no wonder you found yourself being treated with less than a friendly reception!
Bill

Hummelstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Bet wrote:
<quoted text>
Good grief! I was reading your review of this shop with interest. Because of the articulate way you were expressing your opinion, I was leaning toward putting some weight in what you had to say about it. That is until I got to the last line of it where you go off the deep end sounding like some kind of a radical nut case. If you presented the attitude while in the store that came out here, throwing out the word Nazi as if it is a common term used in every day conversation, no wonder you found yourself being treated with less than a friendly reception!


I only stated what I and my boys experienced. I am not a "nut case" just a consumer who is tired of venders treating us like we are privleged to shop in their stores. I rarely get upset but to be insulted repeatedly within 20 minutes is outrageous. I assure you I never lost my cool in his establishment. I simply took my pride with me and share my views with my fellow guitar enthusiasts. I have know axe to grind as I am not a dealer, just a simple musician who loves to play guitars. I personally own 6 guitars and have sold 5.

I apologize to you if Nazi was too strong of a word but you were not in the store when the high pressure sales pitch was going on over a cheap guitar. The attitude came from the store owner and the salesperson. The subliminal message was if your not going to buy it now just leave. Trust me I know what I'm talking about. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am entitled to mine based on facts. What is your comment based on? Sorry again for offending but I warned you if you decide to shop at this establishment. However the better outcome would be that the owner realize he has offended his customers, and yes I have contacted him about the incident and have not recieved a reply. Go figure.
Bet

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 9, 2008
 
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I only stated what I and my boys experienced. I am not a "nut case" just a consumer who is tired of venders treating us like we are privleged to shop in their stores. I rarely get upset but to be insulted repeatedly within 20 minutes is outrageous. I assure you I never lost my cool in his establishment. I simply took my pride with me and share my views with my fellow guitar enthusiasts. I have know axe to grind as I am not a dealer, just a simple musician who loves to play guitars. I personally own 6 guitars and have sold 5.
I apologize to you if Nazi was too strong of a word but you were not in the store when the high pressure sales pitch was going on over a cheap guitar. The attitude came from the store owner and the salesperson. The subliminal message was if your not going to buy it now just leave. Trust me I know what I'm talking about. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am entitled to mine based on facts. What is your comment based on? Sorry again for offending but I warned you if you decide to shop at this establishment. However the better outcome would be that the owner realize he has offended his customers, and yes I have contacted him about the incident and have not recieved a reply. Go figure.
You sound like a pretty down to earth kind of fellow, and one who again I must say is quite articulate in being able to express yourself and keep someone's interest to see what you have to say. Sorry if I went off the deep end myself using the term nutcase, but that word Nazi hit me between the eyes like a brick. More than a little harsh to say the least from my end of the situation. This guy will be his own worst enemy if he continues to make his would be customers feel unconfortable when they are in his business establishment. Unless he learns to greet his customers as welcome guests and makes them feel respected and appreciated while in his business, he won't have one around here for long.
Ben

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 4, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Bill, I doubt that you were treated as you say you were. Jim is a business man and a successful on at that, there is a fine line between being friendly and running a business, productivity takes the front seat in sales. And you saying about Guitar center and Menchys being knowledgeable, what a crock, the average turnover of an employee at GC is 48 days. You want nazi? GC checks you as you come in and leave to make sure you didnt steal anything.
Chris

Hillsborough, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 8, 2009
 

Judged:

1

I had a wonderful experience with the store! They know their stuff and ask that people respect the instruments. It's nice to walk into an actual guitar shop that has a great selection, the option to trade, and experienced employees. Other places in the area seem to have such a high rate of turn over that no one seems to know which way the parades going. I hope people realize this place is awesome and help keep them around!
Steve

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 8, 2009
 
Ben wrote:
Bill, I doubt that you were treated as you say you were. Jim is a business man and a successful on at that, there is a fine line between being friendly and running a business, productivity takes the front seat in sales. And you saying about Guitar center and Menchys being knowledgeable, what a crock, the average turnover of an employee at GC is 48 days. You want nazi? GC checks you as you come in and leave to make sure you didnt steal anything.
Just because you may have had a good experience when you visited the store (if you did) or if he is your friend and he is nice to you does not mean "Bill" had a good experience there. Peoples moods do change and maybe the owner was having a bad day when he went in to visit.
Bill

Bayville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 18, 2009
 
Thanks Steve, enough said.
Bill

Bayville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 18, 2009
 
I stand behind my comments about guitar center and Campbell's music. The guitar folk at guitar center have been there for a long time. Every company has some turn over but truly not at the rate quoted above. Bar none Cambell's is my go to place for experience and advice and repairs. They've been in business in York, since 1964. beat that. Great folk down there and great service. God Bless all, and God rest this topic.
Ben

Hillsborough, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 29, 2009
 
Bill, my turnover figures on GC are correct, I am 100% positive of it. Bobby Campbell is a nice guy, I doubt he would say anything mean about Jim, neither would Greg at BCR. Jim has been in business since 1971 if that puts it in to perspective for you.
Mike

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 6, 2009
 
I've stopped in the York store a few times recently while trying to decide what to buy in getting back into playing guitars. I read a comment that they were reluctant to let you play the guitars. They were very accommodating on my visits and let me play to ones I wanted. The staff seemed to really know their stuff and I will definitely do business with them again when I “trade-up”.
Gary

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 15, 2009
 
Aye, I ventured into the store a few weeks after it had opened. At first I wasnt sure about it. Seemed a bit pricey. Kicked up Conversation with the owner. He jumped right in. Very polite. A little on the ( maybe I wanna say straight forward I like this dont change my mind side) But we are all like thta to some degree. In any case. I mentioned some pretty old guitars had. And that I was looking to sell them. He said bring em in. Baught them on the spot. He even baught a cheap guitar with a cracked headstock, souly because it was trash to me. So far my experience has been good with him. Hes not a blue book kind of guy. I had a pedal he was usure of. So we met half way. Checked ebay and he gave me ebays going rate for it. I have to say I truely enjoyed shopping here. And apart from the erray of Orange amps (That I can never afford) I will gladly go back. As far as menchys goes... Not a freaking chance. Those kids didnt even know what a 4 track was. Enough said right there. Besides they are too pricey. GC however I do frequent. when I have money to do so. And I agree I dislike the whole let me check you out when you enter and leave thing. But I assume if you allow your products to be used on the floor. There was in the past probabally a High turnover of stolen merchandise. Anyway Back to the store. I do suggest it. Its not big, not huge, not a giant array of gear but worth checking out.
Gary

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 15, 2009
 
"Bar none Cambell's is my go to place for experience and advice and repairs. They've been in business in York, since 1964. beat that. Great folk down there and great service."

I agree with this comment. But unfortunately,(I dont want this to osund bad) They are old foagies, If my Acustic needs repairs Ill go there. But other than that... Ima a metal head, and they seem to be to stubborn to expand to my level of the instrument.

So I rarely go to campbells. However I do support the fact they do great repairs and are a+ when it coems to being polite and good service. I recommend them.
Bill

Monroe Township, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 29, 2009
 
Gary wrote:
Aye, I ventured into the store a few weeks after it had opened. At first I wasnt sure about it. Seemed a bit pricey. Kicked up Conversation with the owner. He jumped right in. Very polite. A little on the ( maybe I wanna say straight forward I like this dont change my mind side) But we are all like thta to some degree. In any case. I mentioned some pretty old guitars had. And that I was looking to sell them. He said bring em in. Baught them on the spot. He even baught a cheap guitar with a cracked headstock, souly because it was trash to me. So far my experience has been good with him. Hes not a blue book kind of guy. I had a pedal he was usure of. So we met half way. Checked ebay and he gave me ebays going rate for it. I have to say I truely enjoyed shopping here. And apart from the erray of Orange amps (That I can never afford) I will gladly go back. As far as menchys goes... Not a freaking chance. Those kids didnt even know what a 4 track was. Enough said right there. Besides they are too pricey. GC however I do frequent. when I have money to do so. And I agree I dislike the whole let me check you out when you enter and leave thing. But I assume if you allow your products to be used on the floor. There was in the past probabally a High turnover of stolen merchandise. Anyway Back to the store. I do suggest it. Its not big, not huge, not a giant array of gear but worth checking out.
FYI the blonde salesperson at York Music Shoppe is a former Menchy's employee. They were quite glad she left due to her _____ personality. You fill in the adjective. She knows little about guitars and that is a fact. Ask her to play a few licks and my case will be made.

As far as the blue book comment. He most certainly did pull it out when I was in his store. He tried to tell me I did not pay the price I did on my classical guitar. I wasn't even trading it in so I'm not sure where his argument was coming from.

I truly don't care where you shop but again beware of pedestals, folks placed there tend to fall off.

Do your homework before trading in a guitar. You can check the same blue book value and sell on craig's list or E-bay and get retail value rather than wholesale.

Hope this helps.
For real

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 29, 2009
 

Judged:

1

I won't shop at Campbell's because years ago they gave me the runaround for several months on an amp that they said that they were getting in for me. I called on a weekly basis for months and it got to the point where they would start laughing when they heard my voice on the phone!(They obviously didn't take me seriously and never ordered it). I eventually bought it in Delaware and saved a LOT on sales tax, as it was a high-end Gallien-Kruger bass amp! When I got back to PA, I told them where they could stick their customer service!

They seem to treat female shoppers like 2nd class citizens as well, from numerous accounts that I've heard.
Bill

Monroe Township, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 8, 2009
 
For real wrote:
I won't shop at Campbell's because years ago they gave me the runaround for several months on an amp that they said that they were getting in for me. I called on a weekly basis for months and it got to the point where they would start laughing when they heard my voice on the phone!(They obviously didn't take me seriously and never ordered it). I eventually bought it in Delaware and saved a LOT on sales tax, as it was a high-end Gallien-Kruger bass amp! When I got back to PA, I told them where they could stick their customer service!
They seem to treat female shoppers like 2nd class citizens as well, from numerous accounts that I've heard.
You wouldn't be blonde and a music store salesperson would you? I think I recognize your attitude. Hmmmm. LOL

I've been in Campbell's when female customer's were being waited upon. They were very kind and accomodating and weren't trying to sell the most expensive items in the store. They asked pertinent questions to get the right instrument in the right hands. Again, maybe someone was having a bad day, but I never, ever saw poor customer service at Campbell's. Everyone who has been around in music for any length of time admits that the customer service at Campbell's is awesome. All to often situations such as the GK issue you describe is vendor issue not the Music store. I've spoke with Campbell's about certain companies they had dropped for that very reason.

Campbell's is more of a boutique guitar store but they are awesome in their niche.

I also am blonde but am not a salesperson so no offense to anyone.:)
For real

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 9, 2009
 
No, I'm not blonde and I don't work in a music store. Just relaying my personal experience with their customer service towards me. And if someone was "having a bad DAY", it wouldn't have carried on for several months with my order. If they couldn't have gotten the merchandise in, better to tell me than to waste my time.

Maybe they have different staff nowadays, but when the incidents that I mentioned happened, whoever worked there shouldn't have!
Customer 101

Ephrata, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 20, 2009
 
Great gear selection but I was treated with such rudeness and disrespect that I will never shop there again. Like Bill, I was also given the "If you're not going to buy anything, get out" vibe and the disrespect that goes along with that. I asked to try out an amp and they reluctantly agreed. After I had spent two minutes dialing in a tone on the amp (at a low volume with no distortion) the manager came over, turned off the amp while I was still playing, unplugged the 1/4" cable from my guitar, and then said, "I'm on the phone trying to conduct business." He then walked off leaving me in the very awkward spot of hanging the guitar back up and leaving.

Customers should not be treated like that! It's bad service all over. In a music store it is absolutely necessary that you try the equipment out. You can't buy an amp or guitar based on a sales pitch or review. You have to play it, feel the response, and then decide if you want to buy it.

The York Music Shop has an excellent selection of quality and vintage gear but I will never shop there again. The embarrassment and personal harassment levied against me was more than enough to make me willing to drive to Baltimore, Harrisburg, or even Philadelphia for my quality music purchases.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of34
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Catonsville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Catonsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••