UMBC community offers views on ROTC proposal

There are 20 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from May 15, 2008, titled UMBC community offers views on ROTC proposal. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The faculty senate at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County voted this week in favor of establishing a permanent ROTC site on the Catonsville campus, but dozens of members of the campus community ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ROTC at UMBC equals YES

Baltimore, MD

#1 May 15, 2008
UMBC is as good as JHU. This ain't the acid-head 60's.
ROTC belongs at UMBC,and the officer corps in training deserves access to an intellectual environment.
Powell/Rice for President/Vice-President! Sometime...
Tommy

Philadelphia, PA

#2 May 15, 2008
I was wondering what had become of the left over acid heads from the 60's. They are on the faculty at UMBC. I guess that the Ivory Tower is as good an escape from reality as any other currently available to them.
christopher snyder

Essex, MD

#3 May 15, 2008
ROTC on another campus? really? with the 100 billion a year being spent on bogus wars in iraq and afghanistan, we are going to spend more money on the militiarization of our schools now. No wonder teachers are victims of violence, our nation has a history of violence, a love of guns, a historical guilt and superiority complex. Me, being a student at Towson would like to advise all in the community to protest building this. WE need to stop it at the beginning. Why not use the money to give scholarships to students who actually want to learn and go to college, rather than losing their minds in the chaos and pointlessness of iraq and afghanistan?
Greg Wyant

Bel Air, MD

#4 May 15, 2008
Mr. Snyder,
Be grateful that you are able to spew your nonsense under the blanket of freedom that the US military fights to provide for you each and every day. Hopefully, one day you will come to the realization that you were able to get a college education in a free country b/c of the men and women in uniform that keep you safe. ROTC cadets do "want to learn and go to college." The Army pays these fine young men and women to get a college education and, in turn, to use that education in service to this great nation. These cadets are often much more focused and dedicated than the average college student, taking on additional course work as well as other military-focused training. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
rlenham

Nottingham, MD

#5 May 15, 2008
RIGHT ON!!!
Greg Wyant wrote:
Mr. Snyder,
Be grateful that you are able to spew your nonsense under the blanket of freedom that the US military fights to provide for you each and every day. Hopefully, one day you will come to the realization that you were able to get a college education in a free country b/c of the men and women in uniform that keep you safe. ROTC cadets do "want to learn and go to college." The Army pays these fine young men and women to get a college education and, in turn, to use that education in service to this great nation. These cadets are often much more focused and dedicated than the average college student, taking on additional course work as well as other military-focused training. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Whiners

Newark, DE

#6 May 15, 2008
Greg Wyant wrote:
Mr. Snyder,
Public education is available becuase there's a military? Seems a bit simplified, doesn't it? I wonder if that's the opinion of the military junta in Burma.
Grogus

Washington, DC

#7 May 15, 2008
Poor naive Mr. Snyder. Iraq be it right or wrong; this country still needs a strong and intellegent military. What nonsense about the militarization of the schools. I didn't read anything about mandatory participation. Just be glad you live in a country where you have such choices. Thanks to the military.
trb

Halethorpe, MD

#8 May 15, 2008
Greg Wyant wrote:
Mr. Snyder,
Thank you for your statement, I couldn't have put it better myself. I am one of thi=ose who wears the uniform for people just like Snyder. They don't understand that they have these freedoms because of the mean and women in uniform.
Grogus

Washington, DC

#9 May 15, 2008
Whiners,
Comparing an ROTC program to the situation in Burma is asinine.
Greg Wyant never said public education was because of the military. He states that the military protects the free country where the public education is taking place. The military protects freedoms such as freedom of speech from foreign powers. If you don't believe this, get rid of military today and salute a foreign dictator tomorrow.
BigWillie

Mahwah, NJ

#10 May 15, 2008
To me this is a win win for everyone. UMBC will get a ROTC unit and the military will provide high ranking officials to teach in the Military Science department. UMBC students will get scholarship and stipends to attend school. The military will get more highly educationed officers in a time when recruitment is down.

What is the probelm?
Dave

Baltimore, MD

#11 May 15, 2008
To Mr. Snyder .... I am sure you are an A+ student based simply on your stupid comments. You sir, are a coward .... hiding behind academic nonsense. I also bet you will not hesitate to call the Police when you have a problem that requires someone to risk their life for you. You and Whiner should get together and solve all of the ills of the World. In fact, why don't you 2 get together and run for President and Vice President. Sure you too, have plent of "hope" and "change" to spare. Join the military and become Men, not staying home and whining like 2 little girls. Sorry, shouldn't put you 2 twerps in the same category of brave little girls.
Greg Wyant

Bel Air, MD

#12 May 15, 2008
Grogus wrote:
Whiners,
Comparing an ROTC program to the situation in Burma is asinine.
Greg Wyant never said public education was because of the military. He states that the military protects the free country where the public education is taking place. The military protects freedoms such as freedom of speech from foreign powers. If you don't believe this, get rid of military today and salute a foreign dictator tomorrow.
Yes, thank you. I do not advocate a military state, but I do fully support a strong and dominant military that protects the freedom that allows me to live a life full of choices, including a college education.
John S

Baltimore, MD

#13 May 15, 2008
Hrabowski is going to apply for ROTC host status. He's smart and knows not to pass up an opportunity like this.
Joe

Ellicott City, MD

#14 May 15, 2008
ROTC will provide plenty of students with tuition money and leadership training. I see the damn liberal looneys who were at the school 20 years ago when I was a student there are still there espousing the same anti-American BS. Their "its all about me and what I want and believe" mentality is still alive and well. For people who are supposed to be so well educated (professors, no less) they are severely myopic. BTW, those liberal professors who chose to use the classroom to spout their liberal garbage are what drove me to leave that school.
VoteEarlyVoteOft en

Baltimore, MD

#15 May 15, 2008
christopher snyder wrote:
ROTC on another campus? really? with the 100 billion a year being spent on bogus wars in iraq and afghanistan, we are going to spend more money on the militiarization of our schools now. No wonder teachers are victims of violence, our nation has a history of violence, a love of guns, a historical guilt and superiority complex. Me, being a student at Towson would like to advise all in the community to protest building this. WE need to stop it at the beginning. Why not use the money to give scholarships to students who actually want to learn and go to college, rather than losing their minds in the chaos and pointlessness of iraq and afghanistan?
This is a perfect example of the inane stupidity coming from the far left. They are not there to "militarize" UMBC. They simply want a place to educate future officers of the military. Will there be drill? Yes, but it's not like they will be playing war games on the athletic field.

I'm sure there are lots of places at UMBC where some people don't feel welcome some of the time. Guess what, you need to get over it.

Some of the most oppressed people on that campus are the straight kids. It's scary to enter a men's room in half of the buildings, not sure what you'll see going on.

Ask someone who works there why the sauna's were torn down 8 years ago....

These anti-American freaks need to practice what they preach, live and let live.
Concerned

Ottawa, Canada

#16 May 15, 2008
The main issue here is whether the resources of the US have been used efficiently and effectively to manage the functioning of the military institutions.

Unfortunately, the developments in the recent years make it very hard to give a yes answer.

Therefore, restricting the resources will be a better approach that will lead to their more effective and efficient use.
Fed Hill

Baltimore, MD

#17 May 15, 2008
Both sides have valid points. Yes the military science program and ROTC does violate the anti-discrimination policy of the university so they have a point.

However, the military having access to the bright minds at UMBC, which is a public university, and the students having the ability to get more scholarships will benefit UMBC students, the military and the
country.

Like John said Hrabowski is a smart man and will probably apply for the good of the university.

Lastly, the 60's were 40 years ago, liberal "acidhead" hippies did not ruin America, so stop blaming every perceived ill on them and that decade. It is simplistic, lame, outdated, and false. MOVE ON!
Dave

Baltimore, MD

#18 May 15, 2008
Oh, Fed Hill is that right? Well, I kinda remember drugs not being a problem until the 60's and years later. Crime wasn't a problem like it is today. Just who do you think started the free love and use drugs for recreation problem? Sorry, they may not be 100% responsible but they had a huge part in starting it.
Fed Hill

Baltimore, MD

#19 May 15, 2008
Are you really blaming the recreational drug use by the counterculture movement for present day crime?

What is "the free love and use drugs for recreation problem" ? I think you forgot to blame rock and roll as well.

People still cling to the myth that somehow America was this perfect society before the 60's?
You re Kidding

Fallston, MD

#20 May 15, 2008
Regardless of what I believe on the issue of ROTC, I can't believe that Dave just came out with that comment.
You're seriously going to blame crime and drugs on the 1960's? Entire towns are thanking the stars that you are doing something that provides you time enough to make those kinds of statements and, oh I don't know, running something important.
I can make about 50 social, political, cultural, and economic co factors, off the top of my head, that helped contribute to the current state of things.
Uh...oddly enough "the 60's" isn't one of them. Keep on watching reality television; it's really helping your intellectual prowess!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catonsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Student Performers From Ellicott City Church Ad... 13 hr Emily 1
DMV's Finest - Basketball Team Competing for Za... May 3 DMVsFinest 1
News Baltimore Officer Caesar Goodson called 'friend... May 1 Shut Down the Gre... 4
Is Axiom Solutions LLLP R&D tax firm a good com... (Oct '13) Apr 28 ivory thomas 4
News Elkridge Man Charged in Burglary Bust: Police Apr 26 river 1
News Home of the Day: Elegant Custom Built Colonial Apr 25 Alison 1
News Two Public Meetings on Major Columbia Developments Apr 22 Faith 1
More from around the web

Catonsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]