Ordination of gays prompts Episcopal ...

Ordination of gays prompts Episcopal nuns in Catonsville to leave...

There are 30 comments on the The Baltimore Sun story from Sep 5, 2009, titled Ordination of gays prompts Episcopal nuns in Catonsville to leave.... In it, The Baltimore Sun reports that:

In a move that religious scholars say is unprecedented, 10 of the 12 nuns at an Episcopal convent in Catonsville left their church on Thursday to become Roman Catholics, the latest defectors from a denomination divided over the ordination of gay men and women.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#24 Sep 6, 2009
BEE33 wrote:
<quoted text>What you say about John is reminiscent of what I've heard said of Homer, that what we think of as a personal name may have been used as sort of an honorific title. Subsequent parties interested in similar topics may have adopted the name for themselves or been 'awarded' it.
Yes. Exactly. I discussed some of this for a short time today with my pastor after church. His views coincide with what I was taught in church and in college theology classes.
This is only one reason why one must not take the bible literally. One must understand the entire context of the writings being studied People who insist on taking the bible literally, are just too ignorant and close-minded to understand the Word Of God.
They seem to think that if you DON'T take the bible literally, then you are disavowing everything God said, which is untrue and ridiculous (Aristophanes). I think that nearly every pastor, priest, and rabbi I have met and talked to in the past 40 years does NOT take everything in the bible literally.
There was a show on tv today I was watching about the Book Of Revelation. It's interesting but it OBVIOUSLY is not to be taken literally, and even the pastors (one a Lutheran female) and other theological scholars agree that the book is filled with allusions to the Roman government at the time and other allusions. People who INSIST that every word of that book is literally true, just don't know what they are talking about even though they are certain that they do.
looking at the context and meaning of the books gives you a GREATER understanding of God, NOT less.
I've been an amateur astronomer for more tahn 40 years. Remember reading that the Roman catholic Church FORBADE Galileo from pointing his telescope at the sky ? Remember reading that he was put on trial by the church and placed under house arrest for the rest of his life ?
It was only in the 20th century, that astronomers, physicists, and other scientists came to understand that the universe its unfathomably larger then they could possibly imagine. At that time they thought that the Milky Way Galaxy, our galaxy, WAS the entire universe.
The other galaxies they saw were called "nebula" (and many still are) because that is Latin for "cloud". Astronomers did not realize that the "nebulae" they saw were vast structures of stars, in many cases exceeding the size of our own.
It wasn't until the brilliant astronomer Edwin Hubble proved that these nebulae were in fact other galaxies billions of light-years from earth. They are unfathomably large and far away.
Now that we understand this, doesn't this give a FAR GREATER appreciate of WHO God is and WHAT he has created ???
Literary criticism, derided by the fundies, is NOT an attack on God or religion, but a quest for a greater understanding of God, The Creator Of All Things.
If you understand ANYTHING about astronomy, astrophysics, or cosmology, even chemistry, biology or ANY of the hard sciences, HOW can one not stand in awe of his Creations ? THIS is the evidence that God is real.
I was born and raised A Christian since birth. And at an early age, I fell in love with astronomy. I'm interested in many other sciences, and art, music, animals, law, justice (which is not the same as law, obviously, LOL :(), beer, cats, Ferroequinology (the LIRR is 175 years old this year !:)) and numerous other cool things.

CONTINUED...

Long Island, NY

#25 Sep 6, 2009
CONTINUED FROM ABOVE

Studying the sciences, ANY science, gives people, at least me it certainly does, a far greater appreciation of the Magnificence and Greatness of God, that simply can't be understood completely by humans. We just have to keep learning of his Greatness in tiny bits as we go along. Whether it's taking care of a sick animal, learning about the vast interconnections of ecology, or studying the stars.

And we still no very little about many major sciences.
But the Creator knows all about those things since He designed them. God is an artist. He's a scientist. He's a musician, and countless other things.

How can we hope to understand him ?

We study His Creations, and try to learn as much as we can about Him.

Science and religion are NOT opposed to one another despite many people's mistaken belief that they are. On the contrary, they complement one another.

I've been in email correspondence with Dr. Michael Brown for awhile. He's the famous astronomer who discovered Eris and other KBO's and his discoveries started the Pluto controversy that got Pluto demoted.

We've had some interesting discussions.

His Creations PROVE, to me at least, that He passes all human understanding, and that we must just put our Faith in Him because we see the evidence of Him right before our eyes everyday.

PEACE !

Long Island, NY

#26 Sep 6, 2009
BEE33 wrote:
<quoted text>What you say about John is reminiscent of what I've heard said of Homer, that what we think of as a personal name may have been used as sort of an honorific title. Subsequent parties interested in similar topics may have adopted the name for themselves or been 'awarded' it.
Yes. Exactly. I discussed some of this for a short time today with my pastor after church. His views coincide with what I was taught in church and in college theology classes.
This is only one reason why one must not take the bible literally. One must understand the entire context of the writings being studied People who insist on taking the bible literally, are just too ignorant and close-minded to understand the Word Of God.
They seem to think that if you DON'T take the bible literally, then you are disavowing everything God said, which is untrue and ridiculous (Aristophanes). I think that nearly every pastor, priest, and rabbi I have met and talked to in the past 40 years does NOT take everything in the bible literally.
There was a show on tv today I was watching about the Book Of Revelation. It's interesting but it OBVIOUSLY is not to be taken literally, and even the pastors (one a Lutheran female) and other theological scholars agree that the book is filled with allusions to the Roman government at the time and other allusions. People who INSIST that every word of that book is literally true, just don't know what they are talking about even though they are certain that they do.
looking at the context and meaning of the books gives you a GREATER understanding of God, NOT less.
I've been an amateur astronomer for more tahn 40 years. Remember reading that the Roman catholic Church FORBADE Galileo from pointing his telescope at the sky ? Remember reading that he was put on trial by the church and placed under house arrest for the rest of his life ?
It was only in the 20th century, that astronomers, physicists, and other scientists came to understand that the universe its unfathomably larger then they could possibly imagine. At that time they thought that the Milky Way Galaxy, our galaxy, WAS the entire universe.
The other galaxies they saw were called "nebula" (and many still are) because that is Latin for "cloud". Astronomers did not realize that the "nebulae" they saw were vast structures of stars, in many cases exceeding the size of our own.
It wasn't until the brilliant astronomer Edwin Hubble proved that these nebulae were in fact other galaxies billions of light-years from earth. They are unfathomably large and far away.
Now that we understand this, doesn't this give a FAR GREATER appreciate of WHO God is and WHAT he has created ???
Literary criticism, derided by the fundies, is NOT an attack on God or religion, but a quest for a greater understanding of God, The Creator Of All Things.
If you understand ANYTHING about astronomy, astrophysics, or cosmology, even chemistry, biology or ANY of the hard sciences, HOW can one not stand in awe of his Creations ? THIS is the evidence that God is real.
I was born and raised A Christian since birth. And at an early age, I fell in love with astronomy. I'm interested in many other sciences, and art, music, animals, law, justice (which is not the same as law, obviously, LOL :(), beer, cats, Ferroequinology (the LIRR is 175 years old this year !:)) and numerous other cool things.

Long Island, NY

#27 Sep 6, 2009
Studying the sciences, ANY science, gives people, at least me it certainly does, a far greater appreciation of the Magnificence and Greatness of God, that simply can't be understood completely by humans.

We just have to keep learning of his Greatness in tiny bits as we go along. Whether it's taking care of a sick animal, learning about the vast interconnections of ecology, or studying the stars.

And we still no very little about many major sciences.
But the Creator knows all about those things since He designed them. God is an artist. He's a scientist. He's a musician, and countless other things.

How can we hope to understand him ?

We study His Creations, and try to learn as much as we can about Him.

Science and religion are NOT opposed to one another despite many people's mistaken belief that they are. On the contrary, they complement one another.

I've been in email correspondence with Dr. Michael Brown for awhile. He's the famous astronomer who discovered Eris and other KBO's and his discoveries started the Pluto controversy that got Pluto demoted. We've had some interesting discussions.

His Creations PROVE, to me at least, that He passes all human understanding, and that we must just put our Faith in Him because we see the evidence of Him right before our eyes everyday.

PEACE !

Long Island, NY

#28 Sep 6, 2009
I think the posts above got a little messed up but I'm not sure why.

LOL

And NO, I haven't had any beer tonite because I'm not in the mood.

Samantha's been screaming her head off because she's been playing with her toy.

She walks around with a red fuzzy toy in her mouth screaming as loud as she can: "Dad, Dad, I found a mouse !"

Long Island, NY

#29 Sep 6, 2009
I'll tell ya, i was researching some astronomical things recently because I bought a book on the history of astronomy (which is different than the hard science of astronomy), primarily the discoveries of the outer planets and I got into looking into the history of the knowledge of the precession of the equinoxes. I was quite surprised to learn that that the precession of the equinoxes was known. and accurately measured nearly 3 centuries before Christ. Particularly since it measures only 50 arc-seconds per year.

I don't know how they did it.

LOL

i DO know how they accurately measured the circumference of the Earth tho 300 BC, and they were off by only about 2%.

So people who say that people in the time of Columbus thought were the world was flat are just wrong. People in Columbus' time knew the world was spherical for more than 1500 years.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#30 Sep 7, 2009
Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember your quote from years ago.
Who wrote it ?
Anonymous.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#31 Sep 7, 2009
BEE33 wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said GENERATIONS AFTER Jesus' presumed lifetime ...
A biblical generation is 40 years, and note the AD in those gospel dates; AD stands for the Latin "anno domini," or in the year of our Lord (Jesus).

Jesus so influenced mankind that we mark time by before (BC) and after He entered our lives.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#32 Sep 11, 2009
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
A biblical generation is 40 years, and note the AD in those gospel dates; AD stands for the Latin "anno domini," or in the year of our Lord (Jesus).
Jesus so influenced mankind that we mark time by before (BC) and after He entered our lives.
Actually there's a 40 year generation, a 70 year generation and a 120 year generation.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#33 Sep 11, 2009
Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
<quoted text>
I minored in theology in college and I concur with your analysis.
Also, because of another recent dispute on here about the authorship of the 5 New Testament books attributed to "John", I asked my pastor today after church about the authorship of the "John" books.
He confirmed to me what I as taught in my church and in theology classes at college, namely that the consensus among theological scholars is that there were at least 3, and probably more, authors of the Gospel, the 3 epistles, and the Revelation, all attributed to "John".
This doesn't diminish their truthfulness or value, but certainly helps to illuminate our understanding of biblical times.
PEACE !
I have found that most so called Theological Scholars of today to be basically BIBLICALLY ILLITERATE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catonsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Britney Spears Circus Danced Watch It!!!! (Jan '10) Jan 7 Ziggy 2
Review: Exquisite Lifestyle SPA LLC (Sep '13) Jan 7 Mr. Hubby 3
Subway Dec 31 Fitus T Bluster 1
News In flood-devastated Ellicott City, Md., a vow t... Dec 31 Fitus T Bluster 2
News Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) Dec '16 Sonny 59
News More Baltimore County homeowners are embracing ... Dec '16 Solarman 1
News Non-denominational Evangelical minister, Episco... Dec '16 Trump s Birtherex... 2

Catonsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Catonsville Mortgages