Letters to the Editor

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Transit plan omits critical area projects The Sun's editorial "A greener future" hit the mark in pointing out the Baltimore Regional Transportation Board's failure to include the Green Line in its long-range ...
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Aug 22, 2008
c Oliver

Parkton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2007

In every society there are those who are convinced that their creator has bestowed upon them superior intelligence, good taste, common sense and the responsibility to tell others how they should live. These people can be found in government and community association memberships.
Robbie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2007

When the General Assembly needs to find an additional $200M in cuts, I say they look towards the Peace Worker Program at UMBC.

These types of programs really justify the tuition hikes and increased state funding. Isn't it great that our universities won't let the 60's die.
Buschman

Glen Burnie, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2007

I enjoyed reading the letter from Steve Lie-bowitz. I guess it is hard to be objective when you hold a prominent place in the democratic party like Mr. Lie-bowitz.

I would love to meet with Mr. Lie-bowitz, and we could go over the budget and I can outline specific areas of waste and unnecessary programs that can be reduced. I guarantee they exist. But, Mr. Lie-bowitz and the democrats have no interest in this kind of openness and honesty.

Mr. Lie-bowitz cannot complain, because the democrats hold a tremendous majority in both houses of state government. Whatever they want is what they will get. They don't care about any plan the republicans would have offered, and the midnight special session proved to me that they don't care about Maryland and her citizens. All they care about is continuing the flow of special interest money to the democratic party. The special session paid back the special interests in kind, and hurt every citizen of the state.

confused

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2007

steve lebowitz always conveniently leaves out the fact that there was never a budget proposed to begin with, therefore, NO ONE could even begin to delve into the realm of spending cuts. And the cruel joke of a "doomsday budget" was a figment of marty's imagination. Of course, dreamed up by one of his operatives. liebowitz is also a regular contributor to omalleywatch.com , even though he never has much to say, just same ole, same ole. bye Justafacts, again with no facts.
concerned non lawyer

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2007

Amazing - Fry and Lebowitz are both former members of Democratic Central Committee of Baltimore County, class of 1992.(?) Anybody still think the sun doesn't have an strong agenda to push?
Larry

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2007

steve (justafacts) lebowitz has stated the same thing over and over on omalleywatch.com in the past. Word for word - it gets old after awhile. He is trying to convince himself.
Simon

Baldwin, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2007

I just can't believe how short sighted our state politicians are. Do they drive on the beltway or I95? Here's a news flash folks, it's only going to get worse. It will take decades to install a functional transit system in the Baltimore area. We need to start now! However, because of the limited vision of those in charge, it will be years before something is done. The argument that no one rides the current light rail system is partly true, mainly because it doesn't go anywhere that people need to go! You cannot use that argument as proof that people don't like public transport. It has been proven that a good transport system helps revitalize neighborhoods, creates employment and helps limit pollution. My prediction is that in 20 years, if nothing is done, Baltimore will be a gridlocked mess. People will leave the city again because they cannot get where they need to go. The time is now to start building a transport system that works!
Realist

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2007

To Mr. Lebowitz I just have one question: Where is the new budget?! Oh that's right - it doesn't exist yet. Proof that the Democrats are trying yet again to pull a fast one over on the taxpayers. Lebowitz, you're a putz.
Lou - Paradise MD

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2007

Simon makes a pretty good point - Our visionary democratic leaders of yore built a mass transit (light rail) that goes nowhere. At least where people want to go. The trains go there though, nice.
Dunn

Taneytown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2007

Baltimore's Mass transit it highly used, unfortunatly it is mostly buses. The rail lines where created during a period when the middle class was fleeing the city. The current transit picture reflects this. Great cities are built on desirable mass transit. A 30 year plan is nice but by that time the plan will be antequated. This town needs the red-line yesterday. The green line ASAP. If we continue to invest in roads that is all we will have. In a time when we continually talk about the envioronment it amazes me that there is continual investment in super highways. These tend to promote more sprawl and reliance on cars.
Steve Lebowitz

Annapolis, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2008

Mr. Buschman,

I served 2 terms in the 1990's on the Maryland Democratic State Central Committee from Baltimore County, an unpaid position of little or no power.

My former position was noted in the Sun's letters column.

Your calling me "Steve Lie-bowitz" implies that I have lied, but you offer no example to support your contention.

Steve Lebowitz
Steve Lebowitz

Annapolis, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2008

August 2008 update:

The 2008 regular session ended 4 months ago. Gov. O'Malley submitted a budget with the required spending reductions. It was further cut by the Democratic majorities in both chambers.

In the 2008 regular session, the Republicans had before them a budget submitted by the governor. They failed to propose cuts offsetting the special session tax increases, proving they were panderers, phonies, and cowards.

In my book, they still owe the public a list of specific spending reductions they propose to offset the the rest of the special session tax increases they voted against.

Only a wimp politician or a panderer votes against tax increases without proposing spending reductions.
Buschman

Glen Burnie, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

Steve Lie-bowitz,

Here is one lie:

"The 2008 regular session ended 4 months ago. Gov. O'Malley submitted a budget with the required spending reductions."

Maryland expenditures, FY 2007:$28.8 Billion.

Maryland expenditures, FY 2008:$29.8 Billion

Maryland expenditures, FY 2009:$31.5 Billion.

Anyone with any intelligence can see that, under O'Malley, expenditures WENT UP. There were no "spending reductions" as you have stated. You are a fraud and a liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Catonsville Discussions

Search the Catonsville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) 15 hr Homines Taedio 38
Milford Mill students get a boost before they g... Jul 19 Vanessa 1
Review: United National Moving and Storage Jul 18 Jennifer Little 14
For Ramadan, Muslim families reach out to neigh... Jul 6 Fitus T Bluster 2
Erectile dysfunction: Treatment can help (Feb '12) Jun '14 James 19
Review: United National Moving And Storage Jun '14 Donna Mitchells 27
Very horny girl someone help!! (Jul '13) May '14 dannmann 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Catonsville Jobs

•••