These students deserve notice

These students deserve notice

There are 8 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from May 14, 2008, titled These students deserve notice. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

T hose students at Doris M. Johnson High School are at it again, and this time they've ventured where few in their generation have ever ventured before.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Kidd

Alexandria, VA

#1 May 14, 2008
This is an outstanding column and it is refreshing to hear about students that are on the right track. The truth is that despite what we see and hear about our kids in the city, these types are students are not exceptions but, in fact, are the rule. Maybe if we gave more recognition and attention to positive stories like this one, more kids would jump on board. Kudos to those students and great job giving them the recognition that they deserve, Mr. Kane.
Vince

Baltimore, MD

#2 May 14, 2008
Great article! If this article was about kids doing something negative I think we'd have more than one comment. Students of DMJ, MR Douglas, keep up the great work. You give hope to this world.
Rhonda

Manchester, CT

#3 May 14, 2008
Thank you so much for writing this article and introducing these fantastic students to the world.
Rob Bracknell

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 May 14, 2008
Mr. Kane, you couldn't leave well enough alone -- you had to co-opt the extraordinary accomplishments of deserving students to make an anti-war statement. Elvis has left the building on the issue of whether we should or should not have invaded Iraq -- the only question remaining is the consequences of a poorly-timed, overly-optimistic withdrawal of combat forces from Iraq. Until we are assured a more lasting stability, we may rue a precipitous withdrawal. I'm of the view that if we leave now, before the GOI has an opportunity to achieve long-term, meaningful stability, this country is a stone's throw from a Rwanda-like bloodletting. Just packing up and leaving because America is tired of war is wishful thinking. Believe me, I wish for it almost every day.

I'm in Iraq on my second tour and I hope I never have to come back. Until then, I'm proud to perform the duty that the American people have assigned us -- by expressing national will through the President, whose lawful orders we follow, and through the Congress, a majority of which voted to authorize the invasion and which repeatedly sends us resources to work here.

Butch Bracknell
Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Marine Corps

PS, though I don't live in Maryland any more, I've always been a huge fan of your column.
Baltimore City Resident

Detroit, MI

#5 May 15, 2008
Did I miss something or did none of the students research any veterans of the conflict in Vietnam? The Vietnam era included drafted and enlisted people who were proud to serve their country. Why did all the students listed focus on the protesters? Public opinion may have been against the conflict in Vietnam, but the vast majority of Americans wasn't protesting -- they were raising families and going to college and learning a trade. The luxury of the protesters to be free from family or economic obligations didn't make its way into your column, Mr. Kane. I'm disappointed -- you are the columnist I never miss and usually agree with.
Rich

Baltimore, MD

#6 May 15, 2008
Great article. This is what teachers in Baltimore have realized for years. Thank you for printing such a positive story. Good job students!!
Richard McCoy

Gambrills, MD

#7 May 16, 2008
Mr. Kane, thank you for attending this presentation and for writing an excellent article of the students of Doris Johnson High. Doris Johnson and Heritage High Schools are part of the history and tradition of Lake Clifton High School as well as our alumni that graduated from Lake Clifton/Eastern High School. It is so refreshing to see positive news about public school students instead of so much negative news. Yes there are public school students in the city of Baltimore that are striving for success. We applaud not only the students of Doris Johnson but of all the city schools where positive students are succeeding. Michael Douglas is an excellent teacher and principal Tricia Rock is one of the finest principals in the city. Respectfully, Richard McCoy - President - The Lake Clifton Alumni Association Inc.
Hmmmmmmmmm

Germantown, MD

#8 May 17, 2008
Nice work...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catonsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Maryland's first Steak 'n Shake on the auction ... Jul '17 Kathy 3
News Gangs trying to make inroads in Howard County M... (Apr '06) May '17 soto 172
Where to find doope May '17 John 1
News Baltimore author behind 'Scary Mommy' parenting... (Mar '17) May '17 Peace Selamta7x 2
News Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) Apr '17 John 63
News Is Obama's Legacy Among World's Muslims Tarnished? (Jan '17) Feb '17 Rabbeen Al Jihad 96
Britney Spears Circus Danced Watch It!!!! (Jan '10) Jan '17 Ziggy 2

Catonsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Catonsville Mortgages