Beltzville opens without lifeguards

Beltzville opens without lifeguards

There are 73 comments on the The Morning Call story from May 27, 2008, titled Beltzville opens without lifeguards. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The sun was out, the cool water glistened and people returned to Beltzville State Park this weekend to enjoy the start of the summer season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Working Slob

Roseville, CA

#22 May 27, 2008
It's just a a matter of time before some kid drowns in the lake and the scumbag parent who wasn't watching the kid will sue the state and win a big settlement.
Hucklebuck

Catasauqua, PA

#23 May 27, 2008
redneck myself wrote:
<quoted text> Last time I was there it was all white redneck trash. The ones polluting the water are the little white snot nosed brats
Was the last time you were there over 20 years ago??? I stopped going over 5 years ago because of the disgusting environment! It was dirty and most people didn't speak ENGLISH! The park was over taken by hispanics. I watched the kids spitting all over, dropping their garbage all over and they weren't supervised at all. It's ashame, when I was a little girl my family loved outing to the lake. Now its a place to avoid :( It's sad to see many of the places that brought me joy as a child my own children will not be able to share the same memories!

A nominal fee may be the solution and those that disrespect the park (regardless of race) should be removed!
Larry

Rockville, MD

#25 May 27, 2008
I stopped going there years ago also. What a dump. Rather than lifeguards they should hire so law men to put a stop to all garbage throwing, foul mouthed, rude um...people.
abitoframbling

Allentown, PA

#26 May 27, 2008
Claire wrote:
Parents should be responsible for their kids, not lifeguards, etc. And for gods sake, don't take your kid in the water with just a diaper on. Have some respect for other people. Furthermore, from what I've seen of the "crowd" that frequents Beltzville anymore, it would a blessing if they ALL drowned.
Haha you are so right, Its awful to see what that park has become.
CINDY CIERI

Stroudsburg, PA

#27 May 27, 2008
I THINK LIFEGUARDS ARE NEEDED AND WHAT IS THE STATES LIABILITY IF SOMETHING HAPPENS.........WHICH LOOKS LIKE A DROWNING WAITING TO HAPPEN.I THINK A MINIMAL CHARGE TO THE PARK GOERS WOULD ELIMINATE THE HAZARD OF DROWNING,KEEP OUT THE RIF RAF AND MAKE FOR A BETTER ENJOYMENT AT THE PARK.THEN THE STATE COULD RE COUPE THE 800,000$ THEY ARE SAVING AND BRING BACK THOSE LIFEGUARDS.
Denny

Easton, PA

#28 May 27, 2008
Don't like it, stay home!! Buy your kids the blue plastic pool,put it in your yard, fill it up, let the sun warm the water and keep your kids at home!! And while I'm on the subject, I hope no lifeguards at Beltsville gets rid of the city trash over the 4th of July weekend, one way or the other!!
Gee, I don't know why the bacteria level goes up after every 4th of July and the pool area closes- Duh!!
Denny

Easton, PA

#29 May 27, 2008
Latinos False Pride wrote:
This sounds like a plot to exterminate Latinos by the white man.
The white man knows that Latinos and water are lethal.
Everytime you have a Latino around water, they drown.
Its like everytime you have a Latino woman around fried food, they plump up.
Amen to that!!
Let em all jump in!!
Rob

Bethlehem, PA

#34 May 27, 2008
David-1206 wrote:
It won't be long until the feces in the water shuts it down anyway...
Doesn't this occur every year? The bacteria in the water gets so bad that the state has to shut it down and interrupt the summer for those of us who treat the facilities out of respect. I've been boating and swimming in many state (California, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Arizona, Kansas, New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania) lakes for more than 37 years and I've never encountered a swimming area with this kind of stigma. It seems as though the state has no will to fix the problem.
Beltzville Fish

Nazareth, PA

#35 May 27, 2008
OH NO, summer is back, now we have to put up with P0RC (h0P$ everywhere AGAIN, Crappy diapers, some kind of different language they speak, cars that jump higher than my cousins here in the lake..Boy I wish they made fresh water sharks, just 1 day and they would never come back..
The Bank Dick

Allentown, PA

#38 May 27, 2008
Chief Pohopoco wrote:
Chief grow up in this area. Make Chief cry! Island vermin pollute area and make Redman angry. Go back to your island, don't come back!!!
The Chief is right...send those monkeyhoppers back to Puerto Rico. And did you realize the first two letters of their first name holds so true? P U (erto).
A mother

Philadelphia, PA

#39 May 27, 2008
This why people sue the state... Whos brainiac idea was this. Jack Wagner needs to retire! Seriously.. he wants to limit the paperwork that he has to do everyday, so he makes cuts on paper in his harrisburg office, but not once has he thought about how it affects the individuals... Lets see how JACK plans on paying the large insurance increases to all the state parks after this brain scam happens.. So where are you really saving money...
Who cares

Blairstown, NJ

#40 May 27, 2008
Abbondanzo wrote:
"Autumn Ackley of Palmerton, who brought her two children to the beach, suggested the state charge a small fee, such as $1, if money is the problem.
Her boyfriend, Lenny Twaskas, said he believes it's important to have someone trained in rescue measures, such as CPR, working as lifeguards and keeping a watchful eye."
-Why is it that EVERY article anymore has non-traditionale families? i.e. the parents have differnent last names than the kids. I know "it happens" but why does it seem to happen all the time in every news story you read or watch on TV.
Who cares if the articles you read involve interviews with traditional or non-traditional families!?!?!? Who are you, the Pope??? And don't prejudge, without knowing the whole story. Maybe the father is deceased or parents divorced. What difference does it make????
The Pope

East Stroudsburg, PA

#43 May 27, 2008
Who cares wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares if the articles you read involve interviews with traditional or non-traditional families!?!?!? Who are you, the Pope??? And don't prejudge, without knowing the whole story. Maybe the father is deceased or parents divorced. What difference does it make????
I am THE POPE and I DO Care! AND it ddoes make a difference.

Since: Mar 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#44 May 27, 2008
I don't like going there any more either. I hate those gad damn Sp%cs. I swear to god they're worse than the Moulinyan. I prefer to be around a Black family than a family of Sp*cs any day of the week. There is just something trashy about the Sp%cs and the Heathen language they speak.
Not only that, they just don't arrive as a family of four, they show up in packs of 40.
They should go back and rot in whatever third-world country they came from and stop consuming our resources (ie SS, welfare, etc).
Bob

Blairstown, NJ

#45 May 27, 2008
Just one accident at any of the State Parks will be one accident too many.

The state is exposed big time in terms of liability!!

I'm sure they could cut $800,000 of pork from the barrel elsewhere.
cat kid

Bethlehem, PA

#46 May 27, 2008
wow wrote:
last time i went there it was pretty nasty. Looked like the inner city Allentonians were all there. won't go there anymore. and yes i saw people let their little babies have only a diaper on and be in the water. ever heard of lil swimmer diapers.
i agree. we used to take the boat there and we never go there anymore, this park is really terrible. every year they close it for bacteria count and the boating there is totally rediculous. we have seen so many people doing stupid things with boats and jetskis, and the only people who seem to get harassed is the people who have gone thru the boating safety course and are doing what they should be doing. so as far as i am concerned, they can keep their polluted lake and their totally rude water patrol, and i will enjoy boating in clean water without being harassed. oh yeah and i hope the money runs out for the water patrol idiots also and they are put out on the street
ljd

Bethlehem, PA

#47 May 27, 2008
MojoMan the Navy Man wrote:
Lifeguards are not the problem, how people respect the parks, I mean let's face it the parks are for them, and if they are rotten enough to ruin them constantly....SHUT THEM DOWN! They only go there because they're free.
Do you not think maybe parents may want to take their children out for the day, taking a kid to park swimming is not something they should be knocked for. If they sat home and watched their kids sweat to death, someone would post, why didn't they take their kids to a park, it's free. You people are simply amazing posting such stupid remarks. So remember, if a park is free, make sure you don't take the kids there, apparently it isn't appropriate.

“Non illigitamus carborundum ”

Since: Apr 07

One Particular Harbor

#48 May 27, 2008
They need a cover charge to keep out the riff raff.

Since: Mar 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#49 May 27, 2008
Mauch Chunk has a small free, and it's rif-raff free as well.
Veteran

Valley Stream, NY

#50 May 27, 2008
40 years ago when some of us fought the government in taking over our land and forming this "recreational/flood control' project, we knew this was going to happen. The government won, took our beautiful Big Creek Valley/ Preachers Camp Falls and look what we have... a playground for mostly out of the area "people" who could care less about the mess they leave!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catasauqua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Reality Check 1,601,742
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 59 min cpeter1313 317,509
News Man accused of stalking mom, masturbating in vi... 6 hr schizoaffective 9
News Naked trucker arrested on Airport Road : The Mo... (Apr '07) 8 hr Bob 82
News Allentown Fair's new contests and demonstrations 8 hr Bob 2
News Northwestern Academy: boy escapes from Northwes... (May '09) 8 hr Bob 55
News Pennsylvania high school golfer has 2 holes-in-... 8 hr Bob 9

Catasauqua Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance