Beltzville opens without lifeguards

Full story: The Morning Call

The sun was out, the cool water glistened and people returned to Beltzville State Park this weekend to enjoy the start of the summer season.
Comments
1 - 20 of 73 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Abbondanzo

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

"Autumn Ackley of Palmerton, who brought her two children to the beach, suggested the state charge a small fee, such as $1, if money is the problem.
Her boyfriend, Lenny Twaskas, said he believes it's important to have someone trained in rescue measures, such as CPR, working as lifeguards and keeping a watchful eye."

-Why is it that EVERY article anymore has non-traditionale families? i.e. the parents have differnent last names than the kids. I know "it happens" but why does it seem to happen all the time in every news story you read or watch on TV.
wow

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

last time i went there it was pretty nasty. Looked like the inner city Allentonians were all there. won't go there anymore. and yes i saw people let their little babies have only a diaper on and be in the water. ever heard of lil swimmer diapers.
just me

Palmerton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

I think people in this area should have a pass of some sort for free 'admission' to Beltzville. All others from out of this area should be charged at least $1 per person to be admitted. That just may cut down on some of the filth. The out of towners may not want to pay admission.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

When kids are around water, it IS important to have people on hand who are trained in CPR; how about the parents? There are courses out there and I think every parent should have basic CPR/first aid training. And when kids are around water, there should be an adequate number of adults to supervise the kids.
1 for Justice

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

wow wrote:
last time i went there it was pretty nasty. Looked like the inner city Allentonians were all there. won't go there anymore. and yes i saw people let their little babies have only a diaper on and be in the water. ever heard of lil swimmer diapers.
If you look closer, it isn't the Allentonians. Try a bit farther south. The buses in the lot are most likely from Philly. And they don't care how they pollute our waters.
Bitter

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Judged:

I think this was a wonderful idea! Now it forces people to watch their OWN children, and we all know that is why a LIFEGUARD is at pool or a beach, so they can watch the kids free of charge.
PRIME EXAMPLE;
Lenny Twaskas, said he believes it's important to have someone trained in rescue measures, such as CPR, working as lifeguards and keeping a watchful eye."
Be responsible learn this yourself and watch your own children.
Bitter

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Pachacutec wrote:
When kids are around water, it IS important to have people on hand who are trained in CPR; how about the parents? There are courses out there and I think every parent should have basic CPR/first aid training. And when kids are around water, there should be an adequate number of adults to supervise the kids.
I think every one should take a test, and pass with 100% before they breed to see if they are responsible enough to have children. If you cannot pass then they should be made sterile right then & there.
dying allentown

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Allentown, Philly...don't matter. Every year the visiting filth causes the swimming area to be shut down because of unfit bacteria. It would be a waste to hire a lifeguard for a couple weeks
Hey YaHomos

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

I remember when Beltzville was a nice place to take your family for a swim and a picnic .. Now its all puerto ricans, screaming little puerto ricans, loud music and kaos ... what a shame ..

“"JUST LOOKING FOR SANITY"”

Since: Jun 07

Allentown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Lifeguards are not the problem, how people respect the parks, I mean let's face it the parks are for them, and if they are rotten enough to ruin them constantly....SHUT THEM DOWN! They only go there because they're free.

“[this is good]”

Since: May 08

Lehighton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

MojoMan the Navy Man wrote:
Lifeguards are not the problem, how people respect the parks, I mean let's face it the parks are for them, and if they are rotten enough to ruin them constantly....SHUT THEM DOWN! They only go there because they're free.
I generally agree. Charge a small fee and hire someone to monitor usage and evict people abusing the park. I live within view of the lake but haven't swam there in over 20 years. It's a shame.
Joe Dirt

Berlin, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

If you start to drown just grab on to a floating piece of monkey poop.
Claire

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Parents should be responsible for their kids, not lifeguards, etc. And for gods sake, don't take your kid in the water with just a diaper on. Have some respect for other people. Furthermore, from what I've seen of the "crowd" that frequents Beltzville anymore, it would a blessing if they ALL drowned.
wow

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Claire wrote:
Parents should be responsible for their kids, not lifeguards, etc. And for gods sake, don't take your kid in the water with just a diaper on. Have some respect for other people. Furthermore, from what I've seen of the "crowd" that frequents Beltzville anymore, it would a blessing if they ALL drowned.
I AGREE!!!
IAMAL

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Ed should lease the state parks to a private firm, maybe from Spain. Take the money and invest it into Phila's infrastructure. Ed could give a speech at Beltsville wearing a diaper while eating a greasy cheese steak.
redneck myself

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Judged:

Hey YaHomos wrote:
I remember when Beltzville was a nice place to take your family for a swim and a picnic .. Now its all puerto ricans, screaming little puerto ricans, loud music and kaos ... what a shame ..
Last time I was there it was all white redneck trash. The ones polluting the water are the little white snot nosed brats
EAT ME

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I AGREE!!!
That would get rid of all the white scum!!!!!!
Latinos False Pride

Nazareth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

This sounds like a plot to exterminate Latinos by the white man.

The white man knows that Latinos and water are lethal.
Everytime you have a Latino around water, they drown.
Its like everytime you have a Latino woman around fried food, they plump up.
Mike

Spring House, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

This (the scum who frequent) is the reason I go to a different lake that charges per person to enter. It is much cleaner and nice than BSP.
David-1206

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

It won't be long until the feces in the water shuts it down anyway...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catasauqua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min Grey Ghost 1,099,226
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Big Sky 305,434
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr JOEL 68,916
162nd Great Allentown Fair opens 6 hr The King 3
morning call online looks worse 6 hr Joe 2
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 14 hr Think it through 3,908
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 15 hr Eddie Swindell 51,298
•••

Catasauqua News Video

•••
•••

Catasauqua Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Catasauqua People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••