Local shelter was lax regarding 'Tige...

Local shelter was lax regarding 'Tiger Ranch'

There are 2129 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 21, 2008, titled Local shelter was lax regarding 'Tiger Ranch'. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Regarding the March 17 article, ''SPCA seeks donations for cats rescued in raid'': I read with dismay, but not surprise, that the authorities had finally caught on to what was possibly going on at Tiger Ranch.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

The Accomplices

Warrendale, PA

#2373 Feb 4, 2012
When Judge Rangos heard about cats at Tiger Ranch, she ordered county sheriff's deputies to see for themselves. All cats were to be removed from the property under the terms of Marie's pre-sentence release.

When the deputies got to the property around lunchtime, they found cats.

But Detective Richard Manning testified they also encountered five of Marie's supporters - the same ones, Manning testified, who had been in the courtroom for her 9 a.m. hearing.

Almost all the doors around the Tiger Ranch complex had been opened, a fire was burning in a trash barrel and four to five cats were wandering the property, Manning said.

Manning said a man who identified himself as a caretaker said he was burning household trash stuffed in used cat food and cat litter bags. Manning said he saw fresh cat feces and about 15 empty food and litter bags in a garage, along with a bag of dog food.

At least three of the cats had names, Manning said, which Rangos said contradicted the defense's claims that they were feral.

"No matter how you spin this, at a minimum it's suspicious," Rangos said before revoking Marie's bond.

"How ridiculous to assume that there were five friends who met with her and came here with her by their own admission ... would race out to the property and have a bonfire.

"I leave it up to the prosecutors, but there could be criminal charges of tampering with evidence," Rangos said. "Whether or not it was done at (Marie's) behest, clearly it was done for her benefit."

Read more: The deal is over: Former Tiger Ranch owner's bond revoked - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleynewsdis...
Scar Face

New Kensington, PA

#2374 Feb 6, 2012
HearIgoAgain

Warrendale, PA

#2375 Feb 6, 2012
Exploiter Hoarder
-Most difficult or problematic type to deal with
-Acquires animals purely to serve own needs
-Tends to have sociopathic characteristics and/or personality
disorder
-Lacks empathy for people or animals; indifferent to
the harm caused to animals or people
-Tends toward extreme denial of the situation
-Rejects authority or any outsider’s legitimate concern
over animal care
-Believes his/her knowledge is superior to all others’;
adopts the role of expert with extreme need to control
-Has superficial charm and charisma – very articulate,
skilled in crafting excuses and explanations, and capable
of presenting an appearance that conveys believability
and competence to officials, the public, and the media
-Is manipulative and cunning
-Is self-concerned and narcissistic
-Lacks guilt, remorse or social conscience
-Acquires animals actively rather than passively
-Demonstrates predatory behavior – will lie, cheat,
steal without remorse and potentially has a plan to
use these tools to achieve own ends
-Plans to evade the law and beat the system, such as dispersing animals to other animal hoarders or friends

www.tufts.edu
Valuable Information

Warrendale, PA

#2376 Feb 6, 2012
Never forget that this was what really happened at Tiger Ranch cat sanctuary!

"The majority of the cats (71%) were under the age of three years old and 300 cats were found to be suffering from various degrees of malnutrition - 178 of those cats were emaciated and starving, and nearly 70% were dehydrated. 80% of the cats were found with upper respiratory infections, 73 with painfully inflamed eyes and 54 with painful mouths and tongue ulcerations. 53 cats suffered from an atypical and highly fatal Calicivirus infection (Virulent Systemic Calicivirus), that caused inflammation of blood vessels, severe swelling and wounds of the paws, and damage to internal organs, akin to the effects of Ebola virus. Rampant streptococcal diseases afflicted hundreds of felines, with 82 cats diagnosed with wounds and abscesses of the limbs and joints, over 68 cats with acute onset rhinitis (profuse amounts of pus coming out of their noses), and 51 cats who presented with spontaneously forming abscesses and wounds of their neck regions (referred to as “Feline Strangles”). Nine cats developed streptococcal meningitis when the infection destroyed the bones of their sinuses or extended via the inner ear to the brain and at least 28 cats had joints literally destroyed due to severely painful septic arthritis caused by the bacteria."
"Other reported conditions include:
• 102 cats suffering from ear infections
• 8 cats with Feline Leukemia Virus and 17 with Feline Immunodeficiency Virus
• 123 cats with Dental Disease, 34 who suffered with very painful stomatitis
• Various skin disorders, including 64 cats significantly suffering from skin mites, 23 cats with fleas, and 18 cats with Ringworm
• 3 cats suffering from Skin Fragility Syndrome in which their skin was ripping off
• 11 cats suffering from the fatal condition of Feline Infectious Peritonitis
• Over 178 cats with diarrhea/enteritis, stated to be mainly associated with Giardia and endoparasites
• 5 cats with Pancreatitis
• 9 cats with kidney failure, stated to likely be secondary to strep infections
• 10 cats suffering from a rare Obstructive Inflammatory Laryngeal Disease who could not breathe due to swelling inflammatory masses forming in their airways, documented to be very rare and likely secondary to a viral infection/Calicivirus
• 2 cats with Hemangiosarcoma, a liver cancer extremely rare in cats stated to have potentially infectious risk factors
• 7 cats suffering from Mycoplasma conjunctivitis, deep corneal ulcerations, eye loss, and blindness
• 50 cats suffering from circulatory system collapse due to septic shock from either streptococcal infections or Virulent Systemic Calicivirus
• 5 cats with DIC, a fatal blood disorder
• 17 cats with reproductive diseases and pregnancies"

Never let Tiger Ranch happen again!!!
Valuable Information

Warrendale, PA

#2377 Feb 6, 2012
Betrayed wrote:
I was a strong supporter of Tiger Ranch at first. I was one of the people who was unknowingly spreading lies, and for that I am truly sorry. I made a huge mistake believing that the cats were being loved and cared for properly. But, you have to realize that I was won over by her charms. She is very convincing. Anytime I noticed a cat that looked sick, she always had a good excuse - like “kids threw acid on that cat” or “that cat has a head tilt because he was thrown against a wall.” I found out later that the open wounds and head tilt were caused by infections that were left untreated. Also realize that I was only at Tiger Ranch a few times and I had no way of knowing what horrors existed there like many of the people who support her. I had no idea of the numbers of cats that she took in. I knew nothing about that horrible room, either. Or, the fact that she really had no veterinarian. I feel horrible because I took stray cats there thinking that they would be safe because a humane officer told me how wonderful it was at Tiger Ranch. I feel betrayed and I have much guilt over the horrible fate that the cats that I took to Tiger ranch suffered. Even now, two years after the rescue, it is still painful to think of what those cats went through. I am truly sorry.
At least someone figured it out!
MonkeysAllOfThem

Warrendale, PA

#2378 Feb 11, 2012
Ms. Jugan said. "I often wonder if she told so many lies she started believing them. It's amazing how many people this woman was able to con."

"I am tremendously disappointed that despite the opportunity I did give you, you have either chosen not to cooperate and [instead] spew vitriol in other people's direction without taking any personal responsibility for the disaster Tiger Ranch became," Judge Rangos said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10009/1027026 -...

As for the followers ... Monkey see, monkey do!
Wow

New Kensington, PA

#2379 Feb 12, 2012
Wow again

New Kensington, PA

#2380 Feb 12, 2012
HighLevelOfInfec tion

Warrendale, PA

#2381 Feb 15, 2012
Kathy Jordan, president of the Philadelphia Community Cats Council and cat expert, assisted in the raid at Tiger Ranch is currently hospitalized as a function of a bite wound from one of the cats has issued a statement from her hospital bed, “I was struck by the bowls of food present though the cats were not eating. Their mouths were so ulcerated that they could not eat and were literally starving to death. They were so weak from starvation that they could barely walk.” Many of the volunteers have had to seek medical treatment as a function of their contact with the cats. The level of infection present was so high that the zoonotic potential may never be known.
Oh really

New Kensington, PA

#2382 Feb 16, 2012
HighLevelOfInfection wrote:
Kathy Jordan, president of the Philadelphia Community Cats Council and cat expert, assisted in the raid at Tiger Ranch is currently hospitalized as a function of a bite wound from one of the cats has issued a statement from her hospital bed,“I was struck by the bowls of food present though the cats were not eating. Their mouths were so ulcerated that they could not eat and were literally starving to death. They were so weak from starvation that they could barely walk.” Many of the volunteers have had to seek medical treatment as a function of their contact with the cats. The level of infection present was so high that the zoonotic potential may never be known.
Am I reading this last post correctly? "They were so weak from starvation that they could barely walk". Yet, a cat had the energy with it's ulcerated mouth to bite someone? We all know of one person present who ended up with an upper respiratory infection who was allergic to cats! I love intelligent people!
ReliableInformat ion

Presto, PA

#2383 Feb 28, 2012
Valuable Information wrote:
Never forget that this was what really happened at Tiger Ranch cat sanctuary!
"The majority of the cats (71%) were under the age of three years old and 300 cats were found to be suffering from various degrees of malnutrition - 178 of those cats were emaciated and starving, and nearly 70% were dehydrated. 80% of the cats were found with upper respiratory infections, 73 with painfully inflamed eyes and 54 with painful mouths and tongue ulcerations. 53 cats suffered from an atypical and highly fatal Calicivirus infection (Virulent Systemic Calicivirus), that caused inflammation of blood vessels, severe swelling and wounds of the paws, and damage to internal organs, akin to the effects of Ebola virus. Rampant streptococcal diseases afflicted hundreds of felines, with 82 cats diagnosed with wounds and abscesses of the limbs and joints, over 68 cats with acute onset rhinitis (profuse amounts of pus coming out of their noses), and 51 cats who presented with spontaneously forming abscesses and wounds of their neck regions (referred to as “Feline Strangles”). Nine cats developed streptococcal meningitis when the infection destroyed the bones of their sinuses or extended via the inner ear to the brain and at least 28 cats had joints literally destroyed due to severely painful septic arthritis caused by the bacteria."
"Other reported conditions include:
• 102 cats suffering from ear infections
• 8 cats with Feline Leukemia Virus and 17 with Feline Immunodeficiency Virus
• 123 cats with Dental Disease, 34 who suffered with very painful stomatitis
• Various skin disorders, including 64 cats significantly suffering from skin mites, 23 cats with fleas, and 18 cats with Ringworm
• 3 cats suffering from Skin Fragility Syndrome in which their skin was ripping off
• 11 cats suffering from the fatal condition of Feline Infectious Peritonitis
• Over 178 cats with diarrhea/enteritis, stated to be mainly associated with Giardia and endoparasites
• 5 cats with Pancreatitis
• 9 cats with kidney failure, stated to likely be secondary to strep infections
• 10 cats suffering from a rare Obstructive Inflammatory Laryngeal Disease who could not breathe due to swelling inflammatory masses forming in their airways, documented to be very rare and likely secondary to a viral infection/Calicivirus
• 2 cats with Hemangiosarcoma, a liver cancer extremely rare in cats stated to have potentially infectious risk factors
• 7 cats suffering from Mycoplasma conjunctivitis, deep corneal ulcerations, eye loss, and blindness
• 50 cats suffering from circulatory system collapse due to septic shock from either streptococcal infections or Virulent Systemic Calicivirus
• 5 cats with DIC, a fatal blood disorder
• 17 cats with reproductive diseases and pregnancies"
Never let Tiger Ranch happen again!!!
You know, abused, neglected, sick, and scared cats may still bite. It is apparent that you never worked with or helped sick animals before. Do you love intelligent people because you will never be one, Oh Really?
Oh really

New Kensington, PA

#2384 Mar 1, 2012
Shouldn't you be getting ready for your next protest?

Are you homeless since BNY Mellon threw your ass out--are you currently unemployed?
YouGotThatRight

United States

#2385 Mar 4, 2012
ReliableInformation wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, abused, neglected, sick, and scared cats may still bite. It is apparent that you never worked with or helped sick animals before. Do you love intelligent people because you will never be one, Oh Really?
Absolutely right! This person doesn't have a clue about animal rescue. She's just trying to stick up for a convicted animal abuser. Check out this quote that was just in the news this past week in an article about Caboodle Ranch:

"For Pennsylvania animal lovers, word of the horrific conditions at Caboodle Ranch brought back nightmarish images of Tiger Ranch, the Pittsburgh-area facility which proclaimed itself a refuge for abandoned felines, taking in cats from all over the East Coast.

But Tiger Ranch it turned out was a one-way ticket to more misery for these poor animals.

In 2008, the PSPCA raided the property, seizing 500 cats living in squalor most of them diseased or injured. Large burial pits were found on the property. Its owner, Linda Bruno, aka Lin Marie, was convicted of multiple counts of animal cruelty, spent several months in jail and was ordered to pay $250,000 in restitution to the PSPCA."
Oh really

New Kensington, PA

#2386 Mar 4, 2012
Why don't you just get on a plane and fly to Florida to help take care of those cats---I am sure they could use your services since you are so experienced. Maybe they will pay you for your services---then you can write out a big fat check to PETA and the ASPCA!
kitkat

New Kensington, PA

#2387 Mar 24, 2012
The Accomplices wrote:
When Judge Rangos heard about cats at Tiger Ranch, she ordered county sheriff's deputies to see for themselves. All cats were to be removed from the property under the terms of Marie's pre-sentence release.
When the deputies got to the property around lunchtime, they found cats.
But Detective Richard Manning testified they also encountered five of Marie's supporters - the same ones, Manning testified, who had been in the courtroom for her 9 a.m. hearing.
Almost all the doors around the Tiger Ranch complex had been opened, a fire was burning in a trash barrel and four to five cats were wandering the property, Manning said.
Manning said a man who identified himself as a caretaker said he was burning household trash stuffed in used cat food and cat litter bags. Manning said he saw fresh cat feces and about 15 empty food and litter bags in a garage, along with a bag of dog food.
At least three of the cats had names, Manning said, which Rangos said contradicted the defense's claims that they were feral.
"No matter how you spin this, at a minimum it's suspicious," Rangos said before revoking Marie's bond.
"How ridiculous to assume that there were five friends who met with her and came here with her by their own admission ... would race out to the property and have a bonfire.
"I leave it up to the prosecutors, but there could be criminal charges of tampering with evidence," Rangos said. "Whether or not it was done at (Marie's) behest, clearly it was done for her benefit."
Read more: The deal is over: Former Tiger Ranch owner's bond revoked - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleynewsdis...
Sounds like a cult to me. I mean they continued collecting cats for their leader while this case was still in court. What else could it be?
kitkat

New Kensington, PA

#2388 Mar 24, 2012
HearIgoAgain wrote:
Exploiter Hoarder
-Most difficult or problematic type to deal with
-Acquires animals purely to serve own needs
-Tends to have sociopathic characteristics and/or personality
disorder
-Lacks empathy for people or animals; indifferent to
the harm caused to animals or people
-Tends toward extreme denial of the situation
-Rejects authority or any outsider’s legitimate concern
over animal care
-Believes his/her knowledge is superior to all others’;
adopts the role of expert with extreme need to control
-Has superficial charm and charisma – very articulate,
skilled in crafting excuses and explanations, and capable
of presenting an appearance that conveys believability
and competence to officials, the public, and the media
-Is manipulative and cunning
-Is self-concerned and narcissistic
-Lacks guilt, remorse or social conscience
-Acquires animals actively rather than passively
-Demonstrates predatory behavior – will lie, cheat,
steal without remorse and potentially has a plan to
use these tools to achieve own ends
-Plans to evade the law and beat the system, such as dispersing animals to other animal hoarders or friends
www.tufts.edu
This sounds just like a cult leader, too.
kitkat

New Kensington, PA

#2389 Mar 24, 2012
Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I reading this last post correctly? "They were so weak from starvation that they could barely walk". Yet, a cat had the energy with it's ulcerated mouth to bite someone? We all know of one person present who ended up with an upper respiratory infection who was allergic to cats! I love intelligent people!
And, look, I think one of the followers is still trying to defend the leader. Amazing!
Oh really

New Kensington, PA

#2390 Mar 25, 2012
The all-new SHRINE CIRCUS, featuring SPIDER-MAN, and starring America's Best Clown, BELLO NOCK, will be appearing at the CONSOL ENERGY CENTER, April 8-10 for 5 gigantic performances. Exotic performing animals, exciting thrill acts, The Human Cannonball, trapeze artists, clowns galore, and the internet sensation, "Two Girls In A Box", are only part of the fun and excitement! Come celebrate over 6 decades of Pittsburgh Family Entertainment....this is the hottest ticket value at the Consol Energy Center!
clownsarecreepy

Wampum, PA

#2391 Mar 26, 2012
Oh really wrote:
The all-new SHRINE CIRCUS, featuring SPIDER-MAN, and starring America's Best Clown, BELLO NOCK, will be appearing at the CONSOL ENERGY CENTER, April 8-10 for 5 gigantic performances. Exotic performing animals, exciting thrill acts, The Human Cannonball, trapeze artists, clowns galore, and the internet sensation, "Two Girls In A Box", are only part of the fun and excitement! Come celebrate over 6 decades of Pittsburgh Family Entertainment....this is the hottest ticket value at the Consol Energy Center!
??????????

I know, she must have run away like a gypsy and joined the circus because her "mentor" was convicted of animal abuse.

She's just trying to promote her employment, now.

I'll bet her job is to "care for" the big cats now. That and shoveling elephant poo.

Although, I think she missed her real calling based on her responses, being a clown. onyd
Scar Face

New Kensington, PA

#2392 Mar 27, 2012
At least he has a job. BTW-check out your fellow protesters comments regarding the ASPCA on F.B...here is a hint...R.R.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catasauqua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Three Days 310,968
News Olympus Corporation Promotes Donna Miller to He... 10 hr Ainu 14
News Lehigh Commissioners push LCA on lead levels Sat silly rabbit 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 29 Zionism is racism 72,025
News Allentown council concurs 12 rental inspectors ... Apr 29 silly rabbit 1
Vote For Donald Trump Apr 28 Richard Kranium 2
News Michael Jackson postpones some London shows; sa... (May '09) Apr 28 Richard Kranium 33
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Catasauqua Mortgages