Tempers Take Off At Airport Meeting

Full story: WFMZ

HANOVER TWP., Pa. -- Tempers flared at a meeting of the Lehigh Northampton Airport Authority Tuesday afternoon.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Jan 30, 2010
toldeo

Ridley Park, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

Thank goodness. George Doughtey and Larry Krauter need to be knocked off their high horses right now.
hobo

King Of Prussia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

to many personel in mangement and George has to step on Krauter's hands now .Krauter does not know how to deal with people and thinks he can insult any one at any time. Doughtey does not know half the things Larry has done to hurt the airport with tennants , Airlines, T- hangars and employees. He is A little Man in a big Jjob.
max

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

The LNAA Board members should be elected officials, and not appointed by the Counties.
toldeo

Ridley Park, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

The general public really needs to know how mismanaged the airport is. I'm sure everyone read about the report that was performed to evaluate the airport's operations. That report had to be glossed over many times in order to make the current management look good. The place is loaded with bad personnel decisions, poor financial decisions and political nonsense. Let's all pray this change will bring a whole new breath of fresh air to the foul odor that permeates the operation of LVIA. It really is a wonderful airport and has tremendous potential in not just commercial but also corporate/general aviation. However as it stands the current powers that be are only looking out for themselves and their own benefit and not the greater good of the flying customer and LVIA.
Jose

Schnecksville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

If we didn't take any land then why to we owe 26 million plus 3,000 dollars a day in interest!!! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. Mr. Doughty you brought down Denver airport and now LVIA. Good Job!!! We need more people like you. You should have been gone years ago.
LMAO

Macungie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

this capt. haines seems to have all the answers. bring big planes in that will solve everything. get a clue. it's always someone else to blame. here's an idea appoint another five politicians to a board of full of morons and see what gets done.
please

Nazareth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

O my God, sounds like a person that want's to make the airport a real airport. Let's start at the top. Time for a change.....
lmao too

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

What a joke -- the problem at the authority is that we continue to appoint people to the authority who don't have the first idea of what they're doing. Ed Pawlowski? He couldn't run a lemonade stand profitably...what the hell does he know about the airline biz? And this Capt Haines sounds like another beauty - "hey all we gotta do is get bigger airplanes in here". Great, another guy who thinks getting air service to an airport is to just tell the airlines to bring more planes.

I can't wait for this current crop of nincompoops to fail miserably, and then the finger-pointing an recriminations will really kick in. And something tells me Doughty and Krauter won't be around to be the scapegoats anymore...
Toledo

Ridley Park, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

No it's about time that the board isn't full of lackeys and yes men of the current administration. It doesn't matter to Krauter and Doughty as long as their pockets get stuffed while the airport faulters.
CATTY

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

THE FIRST THING THIS NEW BOARD HAS TO DO IS FIRE LARRY KRAUTER!!! HE IS THE TRUE REASON THIS AIRPORT IS THE WAY IT IS. AS FOR GEORGE DOUGHTY THIS IS NOTHING NEW, HE IS USED TO RUNNING AIRPORTS INTO THE GROUND. YOU NEED TO GIVE THE CREDIT TO LARRY KRAUTER ON THIS ONE, THIS IS THE FIRST OF MANY AIRPORTS HE IS GOING TO DESTROY.
John

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

lmao too wrote:
What a joke -- the problem at the authority is that we continue to appoint people to the authority who don't have the first idea of what they're doing. Ed Pawlowski? He couldn't run a lemonade stand profitably...what the hell does he know about the airline biz? And this Capt Haines sounds like another beauty - "hey all we gotta do is get bigger airplanes in here". Great, another guy who thinks getting air service to an airport is to just tell the airlines to bring more planes.
I can't wait for this current crop of nincompoops to fail miserably, and then the finger-pointing an recriminations will really kick in. And something tells me Doughty and Krauter won't be around to be the scapegoats anymore...
Bigger planes? What are we going to fill the bigger planes with???? Passenger traffic is down and it won't increase substantially because we do not have the numbers in the LVIA area.

Also, did you notice all the signs on the land that they "bought" in their expansion plans 25 years ago that have gone nowhere. All of a sudden this land is now avaialble. Available for what? Farming or housing? Why are they advertising this land? I thought they needed it to build pararell runways for the 45 flights they have per dsy. How many homes did they take and demolish that resulted in lost of tax dollars. The airport stopped two housing developments including the one in North Catty. The sewer lines and curbing is still there. I guess they want to make the land "available" so they get revenue to pay for the lawsuit.

The other development that was Windwillow was supposed to beging about 20 years ago but of course the airport nixed that deal and now they have a lawsuit. Why didn't they allow the development to continue. There was no urgent need to expand the airport but Doughty had miscalculated the need for this expansion and the land grab that went along with this. By the looks of things, it will be another 20 years before it even thinks of expansion of any kind.
John

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

Jose wrote:
If we didn't take any land then why to we owe 26 million plus 3,000 dollars a day in interest!!! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. Mr. Doughty you brought down Denver airport and now LVIA. Good Job!!! We need more people like you. You should have been gone years ago.
The Windwillow development would have been a nice development with a golf course and housing similar to Morgan Hill development in Wilson Boro. If the airport expands in the future it should then consider a total movement of the airport to a new location and sell the land at 22 and Iarport Road for industrial development. Imagine what that land would be worth. They could use that money to pay off the lawsuit and use the rest to fund a new airport located away from the populated areas.
John

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2010

CATTY wrote:
THE FIRST THING THIS NEW BOARD HAS TO DO IS FIRE LARRY KRAUTER!!! HE IS THE TRUE REASON THIS AIRPORT IS THE WAY IT IS. AS FOR GEORGE DOUGHTY THIS IS NOTHING NEW, HE IS USED TO RUNNING AIRPORTS INTO THE GROUND. YOU NEED TO GIVE THE CREDIT TO LARRY KRAUTER ON THIS ONE, THIS IS THE FIRST OF MANY AIRPORTS HE IS GOING TO DESTROY.
I do not know if he is responsible for this but it appears everytime I drive past the airport, there is some kind of construction going on inside airport property. i think the fences around the airport property across from Gregory's is ridiculous. A total waste of money.
John

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2010

toldeo wrote:
The general public really needs to know how mismanaged the airport is. I'm sure everyone read about the report that was performed to evaluate the airport's operations. That report had to be glossed over many times in order to make the current management look good. The place is loaded with bad personnel decisions, poor financial decisions and political nonsense. Let's all pray this change will bring a whole new breath of fresh air to the foul odor that permeates the operation of LVIA. It really is a wonderful airport and has tremendous potential in not just commercial but also corporate/general aviation. However as it stands the current powers that be are only looking out for themselves and their own benefit and not the greater good of the flying customer and LVIA.
Do you know why there are signs on airport property that say "available".
Uncle Al

Springtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2010

The time has finally come. If the "Board Members" really what to know about Management at the airport they should talk to some of their current and past employees.
They have ruined people's lives. They don't care about their employee's do you really think they care about the people of the Lehigh Valley.
I'd like to have the money they waste. Check out how much Mr. Doughty gets to lease a car every month. AMAZING!!!!
They're are lots of stories to be told about this group of management, LISTEN & LEARN then you will see why things are the way they are.
John

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Uncle Al wrote:
The time has finally come. If the "Board Members" really what to know about Management at the airport they should talk to some of their current and past employees.
They have ruined people's lives. They don't care about their employee's do you really think they care about the people of the Lehigh Valley.
I'd like to have the money they waste. Check out how much Mr. Doughty gets to lease a car every month. AMAZING!!!!
They're are lots of stories to be told about this group of management, LISTEN & LEARN then you will see why things are the way they are.
Obviously, you must have first hand knowledge. It is interesting to know that perks are given to the airport manager but I guess that is not unusual. The problem the airport has is simply a need to develop a working relationship with the surrounding towns and townships. There is this feeling that the airport will take over the surrounding communties with their plans for expansion. But what expansion do they need. How big do they want to become. Do they have planss to be so big the airport expansion will cover the nearby communities. If that is the case, then they need to think about moving the airport to a more out of place area away from the residential areas and businesses that have sprung up around the airport. They need to be realistic about their expansion plans but on the other hand, when you talk about expansion- I have to ask myself why? Newark, handles a plane every two minutes and has basically two main runways. LVIA has 45 commercial flights a day. Have you ever seen a line of planes waiting to take off at the airport. I have seen maybe two waiting their turn. When you are at Newark, and on the tarmac, the pilot may tell you that we are the 20th plane in line to take off.

I cannot see the need to take surrounding land to build runways until the number of flights nears half of what Newark handles. So when Fuller wanted to build his development, why did they stop him. It is called visions of gradeur or better yet-- a bad idea. The airport also stopped a development in North Catty. Why? Is the runway going through North Catty. Pittsburgh's new airport was palced away from the city. Today, their are major highways going to the airport and guess what developed around the airport- industial parks and that means more jobs for the region. We want to put a runway next to someone's patio. Where is the visionary leaders of our area?
John

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2010

Jose wrote:
The airport stopped the housing development that Fuller started and because they did, they denied him from millions in profits from the venture.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Catasauqua News Video

•••
Catasauqua Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Catasauqua Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Catasauqua People Search