Blue Monkey praised, panned by neighbors

Blue Monkey praised, panned by neighbors

There are 166 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jun 6, 2009, titled Blue Monkey praised, panned by neighbors. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Mark Bartholomew speaks of Blue Monkey Sports Restaurant in the same glowing terms President Obama used in March.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Catty resident

Bethlehem, PA

#2 Jun 6, 2009
I personally believe there are far worse establishments in terms of fights, noise, and drunken behavior mere miles and closer from this place. The bar should not be penalized for being successful. Unfortunately the neighbors must endure a change that was unforseen when they bought property, which can happen any time you buy a home. The Blue Monkey is a family establishment by day and a nice place to enjoy a drink at night or after a round of golf. The people of North Catasauqua should be happy there's a striving business in town.
frank

Bristol, PA

#3 Jun 6, 2009
If you take away all the underage drinkers that go there they would be out of business
Curious Questioner

Bath, PA

#4 Jun 6, 2009
Catty Resident wrote: "The Blue Monkey is a family establishment by day and a nice place to enjoy a drink at night or after a round of golf."

That is hardly what the Blue Monkey has become. It is a place where the younger crowd gets trashed. You know what they do then? They get in their cars and drive! They get in fights in the parking lot. They urinate in the adjacent yards. They scream and yell in their drunken state well after neighbors and their young children are asleep. This owner needs to hire responsible employees who REFUSE to serve minors and who stop serving obviously drunk idiots. North Catty is a beautiful, small community. That neighborhood includes a community park. A place like this doesn't belong there.

“Cool Logic - Burning Passion”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#6 Jun 6, 2009
English Please wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that even mean? "closer from this place"? WTF does that even mean????
drunk talk...
yomama

Slatington, PA

#7 Jun 6, 2009
Don't you get it. Give enough during the last election you get an audience with Oblama. Now here's another election cycle and the Dems are shaking him down for more protection, oops - I mean "donations". Just pony up to Fast Eddie and carpet bagger Arlen and this will all go away.

Location hidden

#8 Jun 6, 2009
All of you, put yourself in the shoes of the neighbors and their families. Chances are the majority of them were there far before this place showed up after the Dockside. The one neighbor is right, the owner gets to go home to his quiet abode far from his business. Why would he care?

Just because he's got postives in other categories of his life and business does not excuse the rest of it and give it a pass, yet this seems to be the defense given by his supporters. I'll bet he goes to church every Sunday as well...la di da!

The permit to open this, very different from the Dockside, establishment was a mistake, now being ocrrected.
Homer Zimmerman

Tamaqua, PA

#9 Jun 6, 2009
English Please, if you don't understand Pennslyvania Dutch keep your comments for those Jersey papers,why don't you now.
Watchdog

AOL

#10 Jun 6, 2009
The license should never have been awarded in a neighborhood but the PLCB always awards the license then waits until the problems arise before taking steps to close it.

The PLCB should start from the assumption that anyplace serving liquor is going to be loud and disruptive to neighbors instead of assuming the opposite at the time applications are received.

I side with the neighbors no matter how nice a guy the owner may be since he can't control his patrons off site.

Location hidden

#11 Jun 6, 2009
Homer Zimmerman wrote:
English Please, if you don't understand Pennslyvania Dutch keep your comments for those Jersey papers,why don't you now.
English would become more understandable if you'd reduce your cholesterol level so that your ears would clear... Come see me nah, in Betlum.
English Please

Easton, PA

#12 Jun 6, 2009
Homer Zimmerman wrote:
A) I'm third generation Dutch (ancestors came from Holland in 1904)
B) I'm not in NJ and do not read NJ papers
C) You speak like an ignorant hick, not like educated Dutch
HAHA

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jun 6, 2009
StaberDearth wrote:
The permit to open this, very different from the Dockside, establishment was a mistake, now being ocrrected.
"ocrrected"...looks like you've been patronizing this establishment!!
what crap

Whitehall, PA

#14 Jun 6, 2009
StaberDearth wrote:
<quoted text>
English would become more understandable if you'd reduce your cholesterol level so that your ears would clear... Come see me nah, in Betlum.
Like your sentence makes any sense....
John

Baltimore, MD

#15 Jun 6, 2009
Former Bethlehem Steel employee on disability = been on welfare since 1995. Way to go!
HAHA

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Jun 6, 2009
Curious Questioner wrote:
That is hardly what the Blue Monkey has become. It is a place where the younger crowd gets trashed. You know what they do then? They get in their cars and drive! They get in fights in the parking lot. They urinate in the adjacent yards. They scream and yell in their drunken state well after neighbors and their young children are asleep. This owner needs to hire responsible employees who REFUSE to serve minors and who stop serving obviously drunk idiots.
And you know this because you frequent the place??
RODDY

Macungie, PA

#17 Jun 6, 2009
"I'd recommend anyone to go there," said Moyer [borough police chief], who added he feels the establishment is getting penalized despite correcting its problems.

If it is such a problem then why has the police chief said the opposite? Typically the police are the first ones to speak out against problem bars (like some in Allentown).

I doubt that they are going to lose their liquor license permanently. They haven't lost it yet because they are appealing. They rejected a conditional renewal. The state did not reject them outright, but instead gave them the conditional option.

I bet they will negotiate/litigate and then get a liquor license renewal, conditional or not.
Blue Balls

Zionhill, PA

#18 Jun 6, 2009
Good for the Blue Monkey in being successful.

But I agree the food does suck and the place is much to loud.
wow

Allentown, PA

#20 Jun 6, 2009
Homer Zimmerman wrote:
OMG, Homer Zimmerman? Is that your real name or are you just using a stereotypical Penn. Dutch name? Either way, too funny!
wow

Allentown, PA

#21 Jun 6, 2009
John wrote:
Former Bethlehem Steel employee on disability = been on welfare since 1995. Way to go!
Also = BITTER.
Erik

Bath, PA

#22 Jun 6, 2009
I've been outside the Blue Monkey with a band playing upstairs and music blaring inside. More than 20 feet from the building and you couldn't hear a thing...and certainly not across the street in a house. The couple times I've been there at night, there hasn't been a problem. Security is always visible.

I know one of the complaints was regarding aluminum cans in a neighbor's yard. How is that the Blue Monkey's fault if they don't serve anything in cans? It's my understanding that the underage drinking charge stemmed from a patron of legal drinking age giving an underage patron in their group a drink. Again, ultimately Blue Monkey is responsible, it's their establishment. But it's not like they directly served the underage patron.
wow

Northampton, PA

#23 Jun 6, 2009
looks like Obama should have completed some research before he louded the owner!
I am sure since Obama has been involved, the LCB will amend their decision and reinstitute the license.
Friends will help friends.... and now Obama's name is associated with this fine establishment.
Show me a bar, and there will be loud noise, fights, etc....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catasauqua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Incognito4Ever 1,396,483
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr cpeter1313 311,363
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) 4 hr silly rabbit 97
silly rabbit is unemployed and uneducated (Apr '14) 9 hr Serious Rabbit 67
silly rabbit speaks irrational nonsense and gib... (May '14) Tue Kanye Clinton 71
News Paulson defends Merrill Lynch deal (Jul '09) Tue Swedenforever 6
News Police say masturbating man assaults woman Jun 28 silly rabbit 1

Catasauqua Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Catasauqua Mortgages