Catasauqua church members pray for end to schism

There are 20 comments on the Apr 18, 2009, The Morning Call story titled Catasauqua church members pray for end to schism. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The Rev. Edgar Roosa, a retired minister from Upper Saucon Township, will conduct his first service Sunday as interim pastor at Salem United Church of Christ in Catasauqua .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

Bethlehem, PA

#103 Apr 23, 2009
LHS Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did say "Our Father who art in heaven..." He did not say "Pray to me, who art in heaven..." Jesus pointed the way to God the Father; he wanted God to be worshiped, not himself, not Mary, only God. Jesus would probably be upset to see that we have tried to put him in place of God, his Father.
I have to point out something to you. Catholics, while they believe Mary is special, we do NOT pray to her as if she is a God. We say things like "the lord is with thee, blessed art though amongst women" and we say "holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners". We ask only that she, as the mother of Jesus, pray for us. We do NOT think she has any real mystical powers.
Taker

Bethlehem, PA

#104 Apr 24, 2009
The White Princess wrote:
<quoted text>
That was Abe's property. The guy that owns all of the Manors, old folks homes. He is married to the wealthy Kapoor daughter was in an article that they are the Kapoor bank $$$.
hireing someone to start a fire thats kills a fireman is murder no matter how you look at it, what does he pull a cullen on old folks that have no family too?

DA WHATS UP WITH THAT DOC?
Werner

Allentown, PA

#105 Apr 28, 2009
So now I will say a few words, now that the dust has settled. One, I did not contact this reporter - he called me after he spoke to alot of other people. But who cares.
Two, its not like it does any good, Darcy keeps on showing up - on the funny side though the article misquoted, we had no intention of going into the Sanctuary - but Darcy read the article and showed up a half an hour early - which is a huge laugh since this woman was never early, and an interesting foot note - she hasn't missed a Sunday since she was fired and not being paid - a feat that she could not accomplish when she was paid and our minister.
Sadly though, there were those people who came and thought she was gone and we were back in the sanctuary - I had to watch more than one cry. One of the ladies was so upset, she said - Why doesn't she just go.
So - she continues to hold the sanctuary hostage, I am not sure why. We offered money, she didn't take it. There is only 1 or 2 worshipping with her. But the Good News is we continue to Worship God in Fellowship Hall and our new interim Pastor is wonderful. He brought many to tears this past Sunday with his truly uplifting Sermon telling us people do care about Salem, that God cares about Salem. The Good News is we will continue to grow, to listen and to learn and we know that God is with us. And if God is with us, who can be against us.
Over the Mountain

Newton, NJ

#106 Apr 28, 2009
Werner wrote:
So now I will say a few words, now that the dust has settled. One, I did not contact this reporter - he called me after he spoke to alot of other people. But who cares.
Two, its not like it does any good, Darcy keeps on showing up - on the funny side though the article misquoted, we had no intention of going into the Sanctuary - but Darcy read the article and showed up a half an hour early - which is a huge laugh since this woman was never early, and an interesting foot note - she hasn't missed a Sunday since she was fired and not being paid - a feat that she could not accomplish when she was paid and our minister.
Sadly though, there were those people who came and thought she was gone and we were back in the sanctuary - I had to watch more than one cry. One of the ladies was so upset, she said - Why doesn't she just go.
So - she continues to hold the sanctuary hostage, I am not sure why. We offered money, she didn't take it. There is only 1 or 2 worshipping with her. But the Good News is we continue to Worship God in Fellowship Hall and our new interim Pastor is wonderful. He brought many to tears this past Sunday with his truly uplifting Sermon telling us people do care about Salem, that God cares about Salem. The Good News is we will continue to grow, to listen and to learn and we know that God is with us. And if God is with us, who can be against us.
Thanks for the update. Your congregation will remain
on our prayer chain's list. God does indeed work in mysterious ways that we don't understand. God also does
answer prayers, maybe not today, or tomorrow, but in his own time, and way. Patience is a virtue.

“Matthew 5:10”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown

#107 Apr 28, 2009
Riverratbond wrote:
<quoted text>
Well written, & well said, except that you should always capitalize Our Lord, Jesus Christs' name. God Bless this great Nation, and please save us from our Muslim leader.
Why do you loonie birds always have to find a way to slander our president, even when the discussion has nothing to do with him?
BTW, HE'S A CHRISTIAN. lol

“Matthew 5:10”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown

#108 Apr 28, 2009
This kind of bickering, scandal and in-fighting is exactly what turns so many people away from organized religion.

Fifi got caught doing bad things was asked by her congregation to step down and refused.

It's UCC (United Church of Christ) not UCF (United Church of Fifi)...
It's Christ's church - and whenever personalities get in the way of principles, you are NOT serving Christ.
It's controversies like this that is causing the death of so many "mainline" churches. It's very sad and frankly, very shameful.
Average Person

Newark, DE

#109 Apr 28, 2009
I continue to pray for Salem. Why though can she not be escorted from the property if she is not welcome? This woman has we have said is not serving the church but serving herself. God Bless you and all of your congregation!!!!!
Werner wrote:
So now I will say a few words, now that the dust has settled. One, I did not contact this reporter - he called me after he spoke to alot of other people. But who cares.
Two, its not like it does any good, Darcy keeps on showing up - on the funny side though the article misquoted, we had no intention of going into the Sanctuary - but Darcy read the article and showed up a half an hour early - which is a huge laugh since this woman was never early, and an interesting foot note - she hasn't missed a Sunday since she was fired and not being paid - a feat that she could not accomplish when she was paid and our minister.
Sadly though, there were those people who came and thought she was gone and we were back in the sanctuary - I had to watch more than one cry. One of the ladies was so upset, she said - Why doesn't she just go.
So - she continues to hold the sanctuary hostage, I am not sure why. We offered money, she didn't take it. There is only 1 or 2 worshipping with her. But the Good News is we continue to Worship God in Fellowship Hall and our new interim Pastor is wonderful. He brought many to tears this past Sunday with his truly uplifting Sermon telling us people do care about Salem, that God cares about Salem. The Good News is we will continue to grow, to listen and to learn and we know that God is with us. And if God is with us, who can be against us.
Werner

Allentown, PA

#110 Apr 28, 2009
Average person - we have tried - the police will not escort her without a court injunction and the Courts won't touch it - separation of church and state - so we are stuck.
A big THANK YOU to all who are praying for us, you cannot imagine how much it means to us.
Thanks

Since: Oct 07

Bethlehem, PA

#111 Apr 28, 2009
Werner wrote:
Average person - we have tried - the police will not escort her without a court injunction and the Courts won't touch it - separation of church and state - so we are stuck.
A big THANK YOU to all who are praying for us, you cannot imagine how much it means to us.
Thanks
This might sound a bit odd, but who actually owns the church and its property? I mean, if she was fired, is no longer welcome there, but refuses to leave, logic says that the owner or proprieter has the authority and power to have her arrested for trespassing on private property (which it is, since its NOT owned by any municipality). And, if the local police wont do anything, go higher and contact the state police. She is a trespasser, so have her arrested already. By the way, to the person calling her fifi... while I laughed my behind off at that, its Afaf!

“Matthew 5:10”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown

#112 Apr 29, 2009
Bethlehem Friend wrote:
<quoted text>
This might sound a bit odd, but who actually owns the church and its property? I mean, if she was fired, is no longer welcome there, but refuses to leave, logic says that the owner or proprieter has the authority and power to have her arrested for trespassing on private property (which it is, since its NOT owned by any municipality). And, if the local police wont do anything, go higher and contact the state police. She is a trespasser, so have her arrested already. By the way, to the person calling her fifi... while I laughed my behind off at that, its Afaf!
I've known the Atiyeh family for 30 years. She is known as Fifi by friends, family and the community. It's her nickname and that's what I've known her as since I was in Jr. high, went to school with her sister Linda.
I'm glad you got a laugh out of it - but that's her name.
Sounds Like

Newton, NJ

#113 Apr 29, 2009
"Fifi", Funny, sounds like a name for a dog.
The White Princess

Palmerton, PA

#114 Apr 29, 2009
Sounds Like wrote:
"Fifi", Funny, sounds like a name for a dog.
Thats a poodles name. This rev seems more the pitbull type.
sally mander

AOL

#115 Apr 29, 2009
Krissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I've known the Atiyeh family for 30 years. She is known as Fifi by friends, family and the community. It's her nickname and that's what I've known her as since I was in Jr. high, went to school with her sister Linda.
I'm glad you got a laugh out of it - but that's her name.
I knew of the younger sister from Moravian. Did she ever get married or what? She was very rowdy. I was told she ripped off high school party funds that they collected. Wow. I once read an article in the paper where she was beat up, I think it was her own brother years ago.

“Matthew 5:10”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown

#116 Apr 29, 2009
sally mander wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew of the younger sister from Moravian. Did she ever get married or what? She was very rowdy. I was told she ripped off high school party funds that they collected. Wow. I once read an article in the paper where she was beat up, I think it was her own brother years ago.
Well she was two years ahead of me in school but I did hear a rumour about the money. She seemed like a very stand up girl to me so it surprised me to hear that. I'm not sure what ever happened to her - I haven't seen her in ages.
Jesus lives

Leonia, NJ

#117 Jun 1, 2009
BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN wrote:
There is quite a difference between being religious and being a born again christian.When you are a christian you are having a relationship with JESUS CHRIST as your LORD,SAVIOR,FREIND and BROTHER.You live GODS WILL for your life.When you are religious you don,t know JESUS CHRIST at all and you are just thanking ,praying and helping those in need in hopeing this will get you into heaven.JESUS had said[I AM THE WAY AND THE THRUTH AND THE LIFE AND NO ONE COMES TO THE FATHER EXCEPT THROUGH ME] Mary is not the way through JESUS.We hail GOD not mary.GOD created mary...mary did not create GOD.
Here's an idea for you. The UCC does not engage in hail Mary's.That's the catholic church. Get a clue. I went to that church for 15 years and Rev is saved. The consistory never read scripture until she showed up.
Jesus lives

Leonia, NJ

#118 Jun 1, 2009
Another thing for everyone is that there were two votes. The first time she was voted in to stay. Most of the people left because members of consistory were using foul language in front of children.
Mike Snyder

Redwood City, CA

#119 Jun 10, 2009
You people are crazy. There is no Jesus, and there is no god unless he is 6ft 6, black and named Michael Jordan and decides to come out of retirement, moves to Palmerton somehow is eligible to play on my bball team. If that happens then I am a believer.
uninformed public

Bethlehem, PA

#120 Jun 10, 2009
most americans think george washington is god! vengence is mine says the lord!
nilla

Catasauqua, PA

#121 Jun 10, 2009
schism - what a great word! Now I have that Anthrax song stuck in my head...
Scott Ian

Redwood City, CA

#123 Jun 11, 2009
Don't look at me as a white man
I'm just a man
Don't look at me as a black man
I'm just a man
It takes a man to deal with ignorance
Prove that you can
Like having to climb a barbwire fence
Can ya tell me how it feels to be hated?
Can ya tell me how it feels to be loved?
Can you show me what it
means to be respected?
Or is the answer none of the above?
It's so easy to hate your brother
It should be hard
It's so easy to hate your friends
Why ain't it hard?
Love and hate come in the deck together
Play your card
Love or hate can rule your life forever
Can ya tell me how it feels to be hated?
Can ya tell me how it feels to be loved?
Can you show me what it
means to be respected?
Or is the answer none of the above?
Hating, fighting, lying, and I can't take...
Bitching, screwing, crying, and I just hate...
Taking, cheating, spying, and I can't take...
Hating, fighting, dissing, fighting, fighting,
Fighting...
And I can't take no...
SCHISM!
Schism, SK, SK, SK, SCHISM
A house divided can't stand
Prejudice is un-natural thought
When we were kids
It's not inherited, it's taught
When we were kids
If we were blind and had no choice
Differences hid
Would we hate each other by the
tone of our voice?
Can ya tell me how it feels to be hated?
Can ya tell me how it feels to be loved?
Can you show me what it
means to be respected?
Or is the answer none of the above?
Hating, fighting, lying, and I can't take...
Bitching, screwing, crying, and I just hate...
Taking, cheating, spying, and I can't take...
Hating, fighting, dissing, fighting, fighting,
Fighting...
And I can't take no...
SCHISM!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catasauqua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min DBWriter 1,220,579
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr John-K 309,688
Parolee beats, robs fellow parolee in Allentown... Sat silly rabbit 1
Synthetic weed users flooding into Pennsylvania... Sat silly rabbit 1
May 19 City Council Election Apr 23 LRRP 1
Allentown shooting victim drives himself to hos... Apr 23 silly rabbit 1
Synthetic marijuana sickening dozens; may be ca... Apr 22 silly rabbit 1
More from around the web

Catasauqua People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]