Many Lehigh Valley municipal boards have shortage of candidates

David Novak, a Coopersburg councilman whose term was to end in December, decided the demands of his professional career were too great to wait that long. Full Story
Brain Donor

Allentown, PA

#1 Mar 26, 2009
This is another example that indirectly points to the need for regionalization of municipal functions. The article could have also looked at other municipal boards which have vacancies as well.
Mike

Allentown, PA

#2 Mar 26, 2009
This is no surprise. People behave like zoo critters at public meetings. Actually, no disrespect is intended towards zoo animals. For drama at its finest, take a drive to Lehigh Township. Much to do about nothing. In Lehigh Township, the votes of the citizens no longer matter, money and corruption run the show. Look at what they did to that poor Moser guy. Glad he stuck to his guns, but who needs that junk....for 50 bucks a month? That guy is going to heaven.
a reader

United States

#3 Mar 26, 2009
Brain Donor wrote:
This is another example that indirectly points to the need for regionalization of municipal functions. The article could have also looked at other municipal boards which have vacancies as well.
I have to disagree with you. I see this as a prime example of the all American lazy quality. We all want our municipalities to perform certain functions, none of us want to contribute to make that happen. We all want police, fire protections but we cry about paying taxes for them.

Now I can agree that there are certian moral issues with certain local governments; however if the residents got off their duffs and attended meetings and VOTED for new candidates that could very well change.

We cry, complain and chastize our local governments and community volunteers; we want more more more and we want it with no effort or cost from ourselves.

It may offend but if you've never attended a council meeting in your own town or voted for your own small town government, if you've never even met your small town mayor or council members you are part of the problem.

Get moving America, you have the RIGHT if not the OBLIGATION to run your own lives, do it.
West End Resident

Allentown, PA

#4 Mar 26, 2009
All of the above comments have merit.

Plus, you get the MC going through all your campaign and expense reports and writing all kinds of insinuating things about anyone who contributed, or anyone you work for, or anyone you associate with. They defend it as journalism, but they're too short-staffed and lazy to do it right. See the great 1981 Sydney Pollack-directed movie "Absence of Malice" with Paul Newman, Sally Field, Wilford Brimley, Bob Balaban, and others. That's another reason - who needs that grief ?

And the pay is ridiculously low. It ought to be $50 to $100 per meeting, 2 times a month, would be $1,200 to $2,400 per year. Otherwise, it's a volunteer job = labor of love, for those with enough time to do it. Kind of like jury duty - you only get those who are too dumb to avoid it. Is that what you really want running your government ? You get what you pay for - you're paying high taxes already, and this wouldn't increase them much - why not get some better people and get more for your money ?
Jack

AOL

#5 Mar 26, 2009
There are good people in municipal government who really try to make a difference unselfishly for the good of the residents. They're out there but rarely do they get recognized by your paper. I must be living in a unique township, because the board of supervisors in Upper Saucon have changed the political environment in the last 4 years for the better. We need more people like them in the Lehigh Valley.
local

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Mar 26, 2009
where are the public servants in this world?
local

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Mar 26, 2009
http://www.brookings.edu/reports/2003/12metro...

fragmented government is what wrong with PA
a reader

United States

#8 Mar 26, 2009
local wrote:
Why not run in your own town? Or see what you can do to volunteer?
Brain

Stroudsburg, PA

#9 Mar 26, 2009
AMEN, A Reader!!
local wrote:
What are YOU doing to help?
a reader

United States

#10 Mar 26, 2009
Brain wrote:
AMEN, A Reader!!
<quoted text>
What are YOU doing to help?
I do volunteer and have held office..... I walk the walk :-)
comment

Korea

#11 Mar 26, 2009
As I have been calling for the past two year, Pennsylvania needs to reduce the number of municipalities which is well over 2500, to under 1500. This is easily done by merging all boroughs into a bordering township. There are just too many small places of less than 500 people that lack politically interested talent or the financial resources to even exist anymore.

If state in their infinite wisdom of wasting money would offer a pot of money of $500 million, with $1 million going to any 2 municipalities that merge, you could then have a financial incentive to make it worth it. The cost savings associated going forward would more than pay for the government incentive to consolidate.
Brain

Stroudsburg, PA

#12 Mar 27, 2009
Comment-

Wish it were so "easily done". The locals won't go for it, they don't want to give up their "power".

And "A reader"- that comment was directed at "local". God for you though-being a part of the solution and not just complaining that everyone else isn't doing enough while you sit idly by.
Brain

Stroudsburg, PA

#13 Mar 27, 2009
I meant "good for you". lol
County Commissioner

Allentown, PA

#14 Mar 27, 2009
I was Mayor of my local community for 10 years. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, however I probably netted out a loss in terms of compensation because if you are an active elected official you probably donate dollars and time to many organizations and non profits in your community. The borough salary is governed by the "Borough Code". The salary is woefully insufficient and should be at least doubled by the State Government. Citizens need to be more involved in their communities to improve them. God bless anyone who gets into the fray of local government. I admire them as a previous writer stated that some people act like "Zoo Critters" at local government meetings. I have also had constituents during my 10 year tenure as Mayor who wanted to do their "critter routine" toward me. I learned pretty quick how to verbally disembowel these critters. It is very unpleasant as these people/critters then go on to gossip and spread lies about you throughout the community. However, you stick to your principles, do the right thing for your community, and keep an eye on the miscreants and stomp on them every chance you get for your personal entertainment, but most important work tirelessly to improve your community.
Jose

AOL

#15 Mar 27, 2009
People only come out to meetings when it about them!

Since: Mar 07

AOL

#16 Mar 30, 2009
$400 per year? What are they NUTS??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catasauqua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Old_Goober 1,172,212
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 28 min ChickBrilliance 307,804
Nevada brothel looking for gigolos, hoping to w... (Jun '09) 39 min sho nuff- sugar 6
Costs grow for woman after tree is cut down in ... 52 min silly rabbit 1
Ruby Tuesday cited for sexual harassment (Aug '08) 11 hr Tameka 14
Local Head Start program battling obesity 13 hr silly rabbit 1
Allentown community leaders discuss future of S... 13 hr silly rabbit 3

Winter Storm Warning for Lehigh County was issued at January 26 at 12:52PM EST

Catasauqua News Video

Catasauqua Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Catasauqua People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance