For Lehigh Valley schools, one tough budget season

Jul 6, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Morning Call

It was a familiar refrain for Pennsylvania school districts: Local revenues were down.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Amy

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Judged:

Two things come to mind here, the first being at least the QCSD isn't alone. It kind of validates some of what is being said about how we are going to pay for public education and what we may have to give up. But second, this following section about pension funds blew me away.

"School districts saw Public School Employees Retirement System contributions rise 72 percent from 4.78 percent of the payroll in 2009-10 to 8.22 percent in 2010-11. Yet that jump pales when compared with the increase slated for 2012-13, pushing the district's contribution to 29.22 percent of payroll.

The state House approved a bill to roll back future PSERS contributions until they gradually rise to comprise 20 percent of the payroll in five years. Under that plan, which awaits Senate deliberation, taxpayers will still foot the bill for a decade of lowered employer contributions and a fund that relied heavily on a decimated investment portfolio, but slightly later than expected."

Really? 29.22 percent of payroll will be for pensions? This is insane. I know this is the law, but given the horrible economic world we live in (and all the people who have lost their pension or never had one) how can this even be still possible?
November Election

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Amy wrote:
Two things come to mind here, the first being at least the QCSD isn't alone. It kind of validates some of what is being said about how we are going to pay for public education and what we may have to give up. But second, this following section about pension funds blew me away.
"School districts saw Public School Employees Retirement System contributions rise 72 percent from 4.78 percent of the payroll in 2009-10 to 8.22 percent in 2010-11. Yet that jump pales when compared with the increase slated for 2012-13, pushing the district's contribution to 29.22 percent of payroll.
The state House approved a bill to roll back future PSERS contributions until they gradually rise to comprise 20 percent of the payroll in five years. Under that plan, which awaits Senate deliberation, taxpayers will still foot the bill for a decade of lowered employer contributions and a fund that relied heavily on a decimated investment portfolio, but slightly later than expected."
Really? 29.22 percent of payroll will be for pensions? This is insane. I know this is the law, but given the horrible economic world we live in (and all the people who have lost their pension or never had one) how can this even be still possible?
Remember your local PA Representative who voted for this debacle: our very own Paul Clymer.
Amy

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Yes I know, but it's always good to remind anyone reading here. He has to go.
Dem4U

Perkasie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Judged:

Yes. All new hired teachers should be required to have IRA's or other retirement plans that are more in line with those of the majority of the people who pay their salaries.

We need to support representatives who run on platforms to change the antiquated and outlandishly elaborate PA state employee pension fund.

We need to elect representatives who will stand up to the unions that run our state and our schools.

We need to elect representatives who will speak out for the taxpayers and the students rather than pander to the unions. Longer PA mandated minimum school years would be a good start. Teachers are paid an annual salary commensurate with those in private industry but we expect much less in work product. We need change.

While at it, we need to elect school board members who will represent all the citizens of their district rather than pander to the teachers.
Early retirement "incentives" are sure back-firing. Short term savings to balance the budget but no long-term planning are coming back to bite taxpayers in the rear! Elect school board members who have at least an inkling about how to administer multi-million dollar enterprises that require rational long-term planning.

Lurching from budget to budget has resulted in a crumbling infrastructure, teachers whose pay scale is in the top 1% of all PA public school teachers, average student academic achievement, the highest tax increase in the area this year, and retirement fund payments that are outrageous (based on a % of the highest salary scale they will be the highest contributions per retiree)!

Can't wait to see the platform planks of the candidates for the 145th Dems. Will they pledge change?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Catasauqua Discussions

Search the Catasauqua Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,034,202
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 min ChickBrilliance 303,163
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 58 min Americans Love Obamacare 51,293
Raid of Allentown home leads to 13 drug-related... 59 min A-town Observer 5
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr Frijoles 65,120
Allentown overcharged suburbs more than $2.1 mi... Fri silly rabbit 1
Special court rules against families who claim ... (Feb '09) Thu 100 percent frienduh 127
•••
•••

Catasauqua News Video

•••
Catasauqua Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Catasauqua Jobs

•••
•••
•••