Debbie Welch

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

I am an owner of a second/vacation home on the island. I live here around 6 months of every year and enjoy the amenities and pleasures of the island. I spend my money here, invite guests to spend their money here and in general use the island as my home. I would like to know how I can make my wishes known and understood about the water and sewer situation. It seems to me that I should be able to express my opinion on these matters and others that relate to local issues. Many rules are being passed without any input from us as property owners because this is not our permanent home. I feel that I should be given the right to vote on local issues of Oak Island as a property owner so that my voice can be heard. If this right had been given years ago possibly the sewer issue would be a moot issue.
I guess

Barberton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

You need to be a permanent resident to vote, however you will be taxed as one anyhow!
Rebecca Thompson

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2013

I have been looking at beach communities along the East Coast in which to retire. Oak Island offers so much variety and is attractive in many ways, however I worry about all of the negative aspects reported on this forum about the costs of home ownership.

Could anyone post an average monthly budget for the taxes, sewer and water, and insurances for a modest home on the island?

What are some of the best things about life on Oak Island?

Thanks for any information.
Debbie

Southport, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Rebecca Thompson wrote:
I have been looking at beach communities along the East Coast in which to retire. Oak Island offers so much variety and is attractive in many ways, however I worry about all of the negative aspects reported on this forum about the costs of home ownership.
Could anyone post an average monthly budget for the taxes, sewer and water, and insurances for a modest home on the island?
What are some of the best things about life on Oak Island?
Thanks for any information.
Even with the negative posts, this is a good place to retire. Everyone is very friendly and there is a lot to do if you choose to do so. The water/sewer is $86.66 per month for the base rate. The taxes are lower than at other beaches and I find them reasonable. I have electric and propane for heat. The insurance depends on where your home is located and how close to the beach. The reason for the negative posts is the mismanagement of the new sewer system and now having to pay for mistakes of the past Town Council members. When I am here permanently I will be able to have a greater impact on what happens here.
retired fireman

Southport, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Debbie wrote:
<quoted text>
Even with the negative posts, this is a good place to retire. Everyone is very friendly and there is a lot to do if you choose to do so. The water/sewer is $86.66 per month for the base rate. The taxes are lower than at other beaches and I find them reasonable. I have electric and propane for heat. The insurance depends on where your home is located and how close to the beach. The reason for the negative posts is the mismanagement of the new sewer system and now having to pay for mistakes of the past Town Council members. When I am here permanently I will be able to have a greater impact on what happens here.
The base rate for water/sewer is 2000 gallons, I'm between charlotte and OKI and use more than base allowance. Wind and hail is $2700 yearly (anywhere on island and general area) homeowners $340 year. Taxes in OKI increased 40percent and just added a new sewer district fee of $576 per vacant lot per year. Tax rates are extremely high for services provided. We pay separately for garbage, fire protection, hospital bond,$4200 sewer acessment per lot owned-with or without home. It was much more affordable when it was Long Beach. A lot I purchased in 1983 on west end, taxes was $19. Last year that same lot with sand and trees was over $2000 plus the $576 fee for sewer availability. Oh, by the way it is for sale at half the Brunswick county tax value.
Debbie

Southport, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

My Wind and Hail is $1500 per year (I am not on the beach side of the island) and $300 for regular Insurance. The garbage is included in the $86.66 per month. My whole point in this matter is that if the second home owners had been allowed to vote on the sewer issue it may have been voted down. There are significant number of second home owners, possibly more than permanent residents and it seems to me the only people who have benefited from this system are the property owners whose lots could not perk and now they can be built on. This is not the same Town Council that allowed this system to happen, but they do have to find a way to pay for it now that it is here. I realize we (second home owners) may have a different outlook on some local issues than those that live here 12 months of the year, but we may also be a voice of sanity and reason by providing a more objective look at an issue. I am only interested in being able to vote in Oak Island issues, not county or state.
Rebecca Thompson

Rock Hill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

I see that I have a lot to learn about best areas of the island to try to get settled on for the sake of living economically, so thank you for that information. I now live near Charlotte in South Carolina and I think our taxes property taxes are comparable, but this is something that I will look in to. Having lived in Key West for many years, I miss the island life, but don't want to get so far away from family etc at this stage. I like that people are friendly and that there are lots of things to do.
About the beaches and traffic...during peak season is it hard to find more isolated places on the beach? Is it hard to find a place to drop over a few crab lines? Are the boat ramps over crowded? Do you think that the new sewer system will cause an influx of high rise buildings or overbuilding the infrastructure?:-) A lot of questions I know, but I appreciate any and all input. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Caswell Beach Discussions

Search the Caswell Beach Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 5 hr Red Square 55,634
Moving 7 hr Information needed 1
Dog friendly Oak Island considers ban on animals 21 hr jbb13 3
Makeshift memorial? Sun beachlover 1
Pedestrian hit by car Jul 20 nunya 2
'Rev. Jeremy Cribb' ministry site posted, then ... (Mar '10) Jul 18 concerned christian 439
Talk about Southport (Feb '13) Jul 17 OakIslandGirl03 4
•••
•••
•••
Caswell Beach Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Caswell Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••