What happened to Oak Island?

Posted in the Caswell Beach Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Former Oak Island Fan

Hickory, NC

#1 May 27, 2009
Was down for the Memorial weekend and was disappointed. Many areas of the island look trashy. Saw beach homes that looked abandoned and deteriorating. Looked at some homes and couldn't believe the insane tax valuations and thus the taxes. Did OI residents and owners have a lapse of sanity??
OKI Local

Wilmington, NC

#2 May 28, 2009
the town council did! go to oakislandwoman.com and you can get the latest updates on the biggest mistakes in beach history =]
Shelby

Carthage, NC

#3 Jun 4, 2009
We wont be going back either. ITs like the slums of beaches. We have been coming down there for yrs and this yr we are going someone where that dont look like harlem.
saralee

Carthage, NC

#4 Jun 19, 2009
We were there a few weeks ago and it looks horrible.So many empty buildings, and homes that are run down. What happened to the oak island we used to come to and enjoy. I agree, it looks like Harlem.
Charlotte

Carthage, NC

#5 Jun 21, 2009
We just cut our yearly vacation to oak island short. This place looks like the slums!
Will be going elsewhere this fall. what in the world did you people do to this beautiful island? So many boarded up buildings and homes. Its horrible.
So Smart

Morganton, NC

#6 Jun 22, 2009
People had to give up the second homes! The country is headed down. Thanks liberals, illegals and negro lovers!
Kentucky Resident

Williston, SC

#7 Jun 23, 2009
I'm sure our country's current economic state is playing a huge part in the trend people are referring to on this thread. You must realize that businesses are shutting down and homes are being foreclosed on all over America. This isn't an isolated trend in Oak Island, but everywhere. Be more understanding. Thanks!
OKI Local

Wilmington, NC

#8 Jun 24, 2009
saralee wrote:
We were there a few weeks ago and it looks horrible.So many empty buildings, and homes that are run down. What happened to the oak island we used to come to and enjoy. I agree, it looks like Harlem.
It looks like Harlem? I must say that is probably the most hilarious fallacy i have ever heard.
SNUCKOLS

Bolivia, NC

#9 Jun 26, 2009
That was very classy...
So Smart wrote:
People had to give up the second homes! The country is headed down. Thanks liberals, illegals and negro lovers!
frank

Carthage, NC

#10 Jun 27, 2009
Kentucky Resident wrote:
I'm sure our country's current economic state is playing a huge part in the trend people are referring to on this thread. You must realize that businesses are shutting down and homes are being foreclosed on all over America. This isn't an isolated trend in Oak Island, but everywhere. Be more understanding. Thanks!
ok, if you say so but the problem I have with this comment is the place started going down 4-5 yrs ago . boarded up homes, empty businesses, trash blowing around and no one seems to care. so you cant blame it on the ecomony of this yr cause it has been neglected for the past 4-5 yrs.
Young Lady

United States

#11 Jul 3, 2009
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
ok, if you say so but the problem I have with this comment is the place started going down 4-5 yrs ago . boarded up homes, empty businesses, trash blowing around and no one seems to care. so you cant blame it on the ecomony of this yr cause it has been neglected for the past 4-5 yrs.
The economy of this year? We've been in a recession since 2007.

Since: Jul 09

N/A

#12 Jul 10, 2009
I think people in this area just doesn't care. Each time I leave the Southport/Oak Island area for a vacation, then come home I am appalled at the trashy look of the place. People put their furniture out beside the road to be picked up, KNOWING that it won't be. People buy beer at the stores, put their beer in coolers, then just leave the empty box in the parking lot. I think the people that live here get used to the way it looks or complacent, or whatever you want to call it. We've got a beautiful place to live, people! Let's try to keep it looking clean!

Since: Jul 09

oak island nc

#13 Jul 11, 2009
Kford wrote:
I think people in this area just doesn't care. Each time I leave the Southport/Oak Island area for a vacation, then come home I am appalled at the trashy look of the place. People put their furniture out beside the road to be picked up, KNOWING that it won't be. People buy beer at the stores, put their beer in coolers, then just leave the empty box in the parking lot. I think the people that live here get used to the way it looks or complacent, or whatever you want to call it. We've got a beautiful place to live, people! Let's try to keep it looking clean!
I beg to differ on the furniture pick up We recently bought a furnished home on the island, and put the excess furniture on the street for pick up. It was picked up less then 48 hours later. Are you sure that it is oki locals leaving their beer boxes for trash and not the vacationers. I've seen a lot of out of towners trashing our town as well. With so many visitors coming to the island, who can tell who does what. Also, there are a lot of foreclosures. I know, I looked at dozens before purchasing my home. The bank is left with leaving the trash on the streets for pick up. Oki has also implemented a weekly pickup of these items since there have been so many. I just wish people would consider the times and stop expecting us locals to clean up after everyone.
OKI Local

Wilmington, NC

#14 Jul 13, 2009
honestly, if you ride down almost any street, you will see 1) really nice newly constructed homes less than 5years old 2) renovated houses that have had vinyl siding added, etc. 3) houses that have been here for years, the original ones.

You people aren't happy because you tried to turn an average island into a wealthy vacation spot, IMPOSSIBLE

you are not going to be able to change the things that have been here for decades, the things that MAKE this island a place you want to visit.
raines96

Mount Airy, NC

#15 Jul 13, 2009
We just got back from OI. My husband is from there and we go back down often. I have to say that the people who was vacationing there was the awful. We would be on the beach early to enjoy before the crowd. We had people pile on top of us, when they had the rest of the beach. I mean no one on either side of us. So after they would get behind us and since the tide was coming in we would have to pick up and move down the beach. And when I mean behind us we only had about 3-4 feet of room behind us when they park there. One morning they were very hateful to my in laws. Who live down there all year long. My in laws finally just left the beach. So we would only go out on the beach during the early morning and late afternoon. Then it was amazing the trash left on the beach by the people visiting. I know there are locals who do that also, but most of the locals do not like the trash left on the beach. A lot of times they pick it up and take it to the trashcans. After the end of summer season they will have a major trash cleaning. Where once again the locals clean up after most people have left the area. The day after the 4th there was pieces of fireworks all over the beach, which I believe is illegal on the beach. The locals are not just to blame here. You have to remember they put up with a lot when the tourist season is going on. They still have to go to work and do there daily routine but we more traffic comes more headaches for them.
OKI Local

Wilmington, NC

#16 Jul 14, 2009
Notice that the visitors to this area do not complain about the locals,but rather the other visitors.

&& you wonder why the locals are somewhat rude?
that would be the reason.
Kathy

Moncure, NC

#17 Jul 16, 2009
The locals at other small beaches are not rude. We went to oak island and stayed one nite and left and went to carolina beach. The locals there was much nicer and I guess they know if it wasnt for the people coming for vacation, they wouldnt be working. The locals at oak island treat the vistors are if they are a problem. We wont be going back to oak island again. Nicer places to stay at carolina beach and friendlier people. I dont like PAYING someone when they act as if I put them out to do their job!

Since: Jul 09

N/A

#18 Jul 16, 2009
OKI Local wrote:
Notice that the visitors to this area do not complain about the locals,but rather the other visitors.
&& you wonder why the locals are somewhat rude?
that would be the reason.
Yes, I DO wonder why the locals are very rude! I've lived here for almost twenty years and have noticed that the locals are very quick to speak of Southern Hospitality and Southern Values, yet a huge amount of them show absolutely no hospitality, whether it is Southern or not. I'm so sick of going into the grocery stores and hearing cashiers ask customers "How are you doing?" and the locals answer "I'd be a whole lot better if all these TERRORISTS would go away." You ignorant can you be????? They don't care who hears them either. I wonder if they were treated like that when they were on vacation in other peoples' cities?

These people are just vacationers like you and I. They are here to have fun, just like everyone else when they go on vacation.

I've traveled to quite a few other places and have always been treated VERY well by their locals. Most of the people who work here have jobs that depend in one way or another on travel and tourism. Let's start treating our visitors the way we want to be treated when we go on vacation. If you want to talk about Southern Hospitality then how about showing some...or at least a little common courtesy.

Since: Jul 09

N/A

#19 Jul 16, 2009
Kathy wrote:
The locals at other small beaches are not rude. We went to oak island and stayed one nite and left and went to carolina beach. The locals there was much nicer and I guess they know if it wasnt for the people coming for vacation, they wouldnt be working. The locals at oak island treat the vistors are if they are a problem. We wont be going back to oak island again. Nicer places to stay at carolina beach and friendlier people. I dont like PAYING someone when they act as if I put them out to do their job!
Kathy, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I apologize for the way the ignorant locals treated you here. Some seem to believe that they're better than anyone else because they live here. I hope your future vacations (wherever they might be) will be much better.
been there

Byron, IL

#20 Feb 15, 2010
In my opinion the locals are proud of their island, the trash piles up during tourist season, especially the beaches!
Kford wrote:
I think people in this area just doesn't care. Each time I leave the Southport/Oak Island area for a vacation, then come home I am appalled at the trashy look of the place. People put their furniture out beside the road to be picked up, KNOWING that it won't be. People buy beer at the stores, put their beer in coolers, then just leave the empty box in the parking lot. I think the people that live here get used to the way it looks or complacent, or whatever you want to call it. We've got a beautiful place to live, people! Let's try to keep it looking clean!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caswell Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
brunswick property tax fair? 5 hr equal for all 1
Oak Island fees Dec 21 Oak Island resident 1
Why are so many properties for sale on Oak Island? (Mar '13) Dec 20 sans souci 37
global warming? (Mar '14) Dec 18 sans souci 3
Water Sewer Observations Dec 10 Bill Gage 1
Holden Beach Music Thread Dec 9 Musikologist 1
'Rev. Jeremy Cribb' ministry site posted, then ... (Mar '10) Dec 5 concerned christian 459
Caswell Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Caswell Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Caswell Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Caswell Beach

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:36 pm PST

Bleacher Report 6:36PM
Betting Odds, Prediction for Panthers vs. Falcons
NBC Sports 8:22 AM
Falcons cut LB James Anderson on Christmas Eve
NBC Sports12:22 PM
Gano eager for another chance vs. Falcons - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 4:53 AM
Panthers coach and family replaced gifts for break-in victims
Bleacher Report 9:00 PM
Carolina Panthers vs. Atlanta Falcons: Complete Week 17 Preview for Carolina