Letters: Kind review of Bob Dylan show

Letters: Kind review of Bob Dylan show

There are 12 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Aug 24, 2010, titled Letters: Kind review of Bob Dylan show. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

The Herald's Mac McDonald presented the most gracious and forgiving critique of Bob Dylan's performance here of anyone I've spoken to who went.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Molloy

Mitcham, UK

#1 Aug 24, 2010
Jeffrey, you should have gone! What did you have to lose? Rather than being disappointed, you may have actually been pleasantly surprised!

Since: Sep 09

Carmel Valley, CA

#2 Aug 24, 2010
Mr. Van Mid - you're kidding right? You gave your 'free' tickets away? You never got them. I've been to many Bob Dylan concerts and this was definitely the best that I've been to. He was on. His band was on.

You state: "I don't find it particularly creative to change the melodies and tempos of his old classics. That seems counter-creative to me, almost as if he wants to try to prove some inane point that he's not going to be defined by anyone, even if it means messing with his own compositions to keep everyone off-balance. Seems sort of childish to me."

So creativity in your world is never changing anything? You don't see the irony in stating that change is not creative and. in fact, is counter-creative?

Bob Dylan 'messes' with his 'own compositions' because he IS creative. Picasso 'messed' with his technique because is WAS creative. Julia Child 'messed' with her technique because she WAS creative. k.d. lang 'messes' with her technique and her interpretation of songs because she IS creative. You however, aren't. You are stuck in the past. Have a lovely time back there.
JayAre

Monterey, CA

#3 Aug 24, 2010
RE: The Dylan concert--Jeffrey Van Middlebrook--have you heard the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it?" Your criticisms of Dylan don't add anything to anyone's happiness, knowledge, or well-being. It's a free country, so say what you will, but no one's forcing you to attend or listen. The show was very good, & it was better for your lack of presence.
JayAre

Monterey, CA

#4 Aug 24, 2010
Van Middlebrook--few who were there at the Dylan concert agree with you. We must all be ignoramuses: http://www.bobdylan.com/#/tour/2010-08-21-mon...
Philip Bailey

Inglewood, CA

#7 Aug 25, 2010
The above critic missed some great moments with Mr. Dylna, not only this Summer, but also during 1979, during Mr. Dylan's Gospel Phase, aruably, one of the most profound experiences of the Century for those of us who were "blessed to see it." Thank you Bob for the compelling performance at Ontario. My two brothers and nephew appreciated you hearty, vocals, and performance. Nice lead on Love Minus Zero I think, and also nice to meet you at teh John Prine Show at the Troubador in 1972 when I was 14, and also kicking some butt after the Dire Straits Show at the Roxy in 1979. Awesome Bob. Keep on keeping on...
Tedham Porterhouse

Keansburg, NJ

#8 Aug 25, 2010
Kind Dylan Review-Since I didn't attend this particular concert, I guess I'm just as qualified as Mr. Van Middlebrook to write about the show.(I hope I'm not disqualified for having seen two shows earlier on the tour.) I also wonder if not being there allows me to critique future performances before they even occur. As for the idea that not changing a melody, arrangement or presentation of a song as being not "particularly creative" borders on the absurd. Perhaps Mr. Van Middlebrook should forgo all live music experiences and remain home listening to his beloved record collection where the artist is stuck in time and not one note or vocal intonation will ever change. I imagine that it is hard work being "one of his staunchest supporters of all his many chameleonesque evolutions." Especially when the artist evolves.
neutral

Pacific Grove, CA

#9 Aug 25, 2010
Hello! I didn't go to the concert either, cause I don't like crowded places. So, Mr. Van Middlebrook that makes me just as able to comment on the review as you, which would be unable to do so. How can you comment on a review if you weren't even there? You can't. So, that leads me to wonder-what's the real reason you wrote this letter? If you can figure that out you might experience some self-enlightenment. Peace, buddy, I wish you well on your journey.

Carmel Valley, CA

#10 Aug 25, 2010
neutral wrote:
Hello! I didn't go to the concert either, cause I don't like crowded places. So, Mr. Van Middlebrook that makes me just as able to comment on the review as you, which would be unable to do so. How can you comment on a review if you weren't even there? You can't. So, that leads me to wonder-what's the real reason you wrote this letter? If you can figure that out you might experience some self-enlightenment. Peace, buddy, I wish you well on your journey.
What's the real reason he wrote the letter? Because he loves to see himself pontificate. And he's always right even when he's wrong.
Reinaldo Garcia

Salinas, CA

#11 Aug 25, 2010
For Jeffrey Van Middlebriook:

For the better part of a decade, I’ve been imposing Bob Dylan on my daughter Victoria. In 2003, when she was six, we lugged her to Paso Robles to witness a mediocre show. This only cemented her dislike of the man she claims “sings grumpy.”

Victoria’s homework assignment: Study a CD compilation of Dylan’s “best” songs. After digesting it, she said,“I prefer his earlier stuff. Like that song ‘how many roads must a man walk down…’”

Victoria’s now 13, fanatically devoted to The Strokes, and she gets Dylan. We live two miles from the Monterey Fairgrounds, and found our seats, 100 feet away from the stage, about two hours before Dylan’s entrance.

During the interim, Victoria grilled me about Dylan’s politics, his music, and his influences. I even regaled her about Dylan’s malodorous outhouse on his Malibu estate, and I accurately predicted Dylan’s set list, telling Victoria, for starters, that Dylan would open with “Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat” or “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35.”

Dylan’s current band is superb. It’s so good Dylan uses it every chance he gets and, in my opinion, inappropriately. For example, the delicacies of “To Ramona” and “Every Grain of Sand” were mangled by the full band approach, and Dylan ought to’ve used those songs as a respite from all that thunder on the mountain. Why not risk a solo piano or acoustic guitar accompaniment?

The uptempo, blues-based numbers were fantastic.“Cold Irons Bound” and “Highway 61 Revisited” rocked with brutal power, and the closing number,“Ballad of a Thin Man,” crushed the opposition. Dylan stood front and center, and like an imp of the perverse, taunted Mister Jones, still clueless after all these years.

Though I wrongly predicted the evening would end with “All Along the Watchtower,” Victoria was sated.“He’s so cool!” she exclaimed.“I could never get away with wearing that hat!”
Steve

United States

#13 Aug 25, 2010
First oF all I am not a Dylan fan, not that I don't like him or his style, it's just not my cup of tea. But I was at this concert working backstage. I was incredibly dissapointed when Dylan completely ignored a group of fans shouting his praise and thanking him as he walked off stage and onto his tour bus. No autographs, no wave of thanks, he just turned his back on them and left. I don't know much about the man, or whether or not this his SOP, but all these actors, athletes and musicians owe everything they have to their fans. His actions were completely disrespectful.

Oh and I thought Dylan's band was great, but his voice is so raspy I couldn't understand half the words out of his mouth.
Susie Q

Monterey, CA

#14 Aug 25, 2010
Steve wrote:
First oF all I am not a Dylan fan, not that I don't like him or his style, it's just not my cup of tea. But I was at this concert working backstage. I was incredibly dissapointed when Dylan completely ignored a group of fans shouting his praise and thanking him as he walked off stage and onto his tour bus. No autographs, no wave of thanks, he just turned his back on them and left. I don't know much about the man, or whether or not this his SOP, but all these actors, athletes and musicians owe everything they have to their fans. His actions were completely disrespectful.
Oh and I thought Dylan's band was great, but his voice is so raspy I couldn't understand half the words out of his mouth.
You're comment made me smile! Those of us who grew up listening to Dylan understand his behavior completely. Had he stop to sign autographs or chat with "fans" it would have been totally out of character, and most likely been criticised. I listened from my friends house nearby and thououghly enjoyed the concert. Sure, his voice is gone and his shyness is misconstrued as rudeness, but we had fun trying to figure out what song he was singing and walking down memory lane. When I am 69 I hope I'm still truckin' along like he is!

Carmel Valley, CA

#15 Aug 25, 2010
Steve wrote:
I don't know that I agree with your assessment that entertainers owe everything they have to their fans. If Bob Dylan didn't have the talent that he has he wouldn't have fans.

But I don't think that any entertainer owes it to fans to sign autographs or acknowledge them. I know that's harsh. But I think that Bob Dylan's fans know that that's what he is like.

I can understand your disappointment with his demeanor but I don't think he's going to change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Castroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Salinas pastor sentenced to 15 years to life fo... (Mar '06) 2 hr Donald Trump 2
Poll Is 1460 AM Racist radio catering to TEABAGGERS? (Sep '10) 2 hr Sicario 239
Public Toilets $2 a Pop 17 hr I P Freely 2
Village North Lagoon Security think they are Cops (Apr '15) Mon Donald Trump 8
Poll Are white people tired of Mexicans in Salinas? (Jan '08) Mon Not White 907
Trump Nude Statue A Hoot Aug 19 get some clothes on 1
News Coastal Commission votes against Santa Cruza s ... Aug 12 Swiss Mess 14

Castroville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Castroville Mortgages