Sheriff's race: Labor Council backs b...

Sheriff's race: Labor Council backs both Miller and Garcia, tak...

There are 16 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Apr 9, 2010, titled Sheriff's race: Labor Council backs both Miller and Garcia, tak.... In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

The Monterey Bay Central Labor Council announced an unusual mixed endorsement in the county's race for sheriff after all three candidates spoke at a council-sponsored forum March 23.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

KANOnotLATINO

Chualar, CA

#1 Apr 9, 2010
The endorsement by the Monterey Chapter of the National Latino Peace Officers Association (NLPOA) of Kanalakis was bought and paid for by the past and promised future actions of politician Kanalakis. If you go on the internet to the website of NLPOA, Monterey Chapter, you will see an old picture of former deputy Ruben Sanchez (who upon retirement received a major pictorial on the sheriff’s county website; which was very unusual for ANY retiree). Current commander Jose Mendoza is also in the picture (he was promoted to the position of commander by Mr. Kanalakis). Bill Freeman is in the picture (he was a close personal friend of Kanalakis, who made him his first undersheriff; Freeman retired several years ago). Yes, Mikey has been a good politician, but a TERRIBLE sheriff.
Wrangler

Birds Landing, CA

#2 Apr 9, 2010
Yet another reason Union membership is shrinking. The Union Bosses take their bribes and off they go.
informed4u

Salinas, CA

#3 Apr 9, 2010
Has anyone else noticed that all of Mr. Kanalakis' "endorsements" are coming from the "crony-istic" associations and unions? OF COURSE the incumbent would receive the endorsement of the California Police Officer's Association! The membership is comprised of all of the other elected Sheriff's and Chief's of Police in the State. They support each other blindly..."I.E. I support you, the incumbent, in this election...you support ME in my upcoming election". The CPOA's endorsement is hollow and just a formality.

And off subject, has anyone else noticed that most of the incumbent's primary financial contributors are from companies or individuals that have private contracts with the Monterey County Jail. And that those companies stand to gain GREATLY from the continued renewal of those contracts. And that the elected Sheriff of the County influences whether those contracts are renewed or not. HMMMMMMM. Sounds a little unethical to me. Do we really want this incumbent back in office???

Since: Sep 09

Chualar, CA

#4 Apr 9, 2010
MR. KANALAKIS IS REALLY THE GUY WITH BOTH HANDS IN THE TAXPAYER’S WALLETS. As sheriff, he botched receiving $80 million from the state for the construction of a new jail; he failed to adequately staff the jail (paying $1.85 million to settle the Jimmy Haws lawsuit); and he has spent several million dollars in overtime costs because he has failed to recruit and retain deputies (very few individuals who wish to be street cops are willing to work inside the county jail for several years before going out to patrol).

Chualar, CA

#5 Apr 9, 2010
SHERIFF KANALAKIS ACCEPTS CAMPAIGN FUNDS:

$5,300 - CFMG (present provider of medical services for jail inmates)
$5,000 - LASER DEVICES INC.(laser aiming devices)
$1,000 - EVERCOM (current phone provider for jail inmates)

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT CANDIDATES FOR COUNTY (POLITICAL) OFFICE SHOULD ACCEPT CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS FROM INDIVIDUALS OR BUSINESSES WHO MAY BE SEEKING OR ARE PRESENTLY CONDUCTING BUSINESS WITH THE COUNTY OF MONTEREY.

Chualar, CA

#6 Apr 9, 2010
The fact that 79 percent of the Deputy Sheriff Association voted NOT TO ENDORSE Mr. KANALAKIS says a lot. This is really the only endorsement that voters should consider in the upcoming election.
Mike no more

United States

#7 Apr 9, 2010
Kanalakis' campaign money was used to give a donation to the Latino Peace Officers Association it is in his FPPC fillings. That sounds like a bought endorsement. His other endorsement CPOA didn't speak with the other candidates at all, that is what I call a none endorsement endorsement.

Whatever people think of unions these working people are saying anyone BUT Kanalakis. That message is resonating with people I know. From the minor scandals to the larger scandals people are tired of the Kanalakis show.
Wait A Sec

Salinas, CA

#8 Apr 9, 2010
I am member of the professional staff of the Sheriff's Office and I want to say that I am only aware of TWO members of the professional staff that are supporting Scott Miller. The professional staff were never given a ballot and asked who we support. All the professional staff that I am aware of are supporting Fred Garcia, and unfortunately most are scared to speak out due to Sheriff Kanalakis. Kanalaksis needs to go, and Miller needs to stay where he's at. The strong majority of the professional staff on the MCSO, were sad to Commander Garcia retire and now we want him back as our Sheriff. Miller needs to get his facts straight!
444truth

United States

#9 Apr 9, 2010
Well unfortunately you are out of touch with what has been transpiring. If you would have shownup at the monterey Co. Labor Council forum you would know that that SEIU who represents the professional staff of the sheriffs office had the majority of their members (far more than the the two you may be aware of) and the majority of delegates voting to support Miller. That's a fact. So here goes the Garcia/kanalakis style spin to try and change what actually happened. If you want an ethical candidate who isn't trying to "spin" the truth to get ahead then Miller is your candidate. Apparently both kanalakis and garcia and their supporters can't play fair. I guess they think they can't win unless they have some sort of advantage? Is that who you want running you co. Sheriffs office? Wait til they try this taactic against you! Oh you thought you were exempt!
Wait A Sec

Salinas, CA

#10 Apr 9, 2010
444truth wrote:
Well unfortunately you are out of touch with what has been transpiring. If you would have shownup at the monterey Co. Labor Council forum you would know that that SEIU who represents the professional staff of the sheriffs office had the majority of their members (far more than the the two you may be aware of) and the majority of delegates voting to support Miller. That's a fact. So here goes the Garcia/kanalakis style spin to try and change what actually happened. If you want an ethical candidate who isn't trying to "spin" the truth to get ahead then Miller is your candidate. Apparently both kanalakis and garcia and their supporters can't play fair. I guess they think they can't win unless they have some sort of advantage? Is that who you want running you co. Sheriffs office? Wait til they try this taactic against you! Oh you thought you were exempt!
There were less than 10 SEUI members at that meeting, one of whom gave Miller information and then asked a question regarding that information. Talk about shady! That "member" is quite a shady character who is out of touch with their whole membership and the department and was there on a person agenda. That person, who will remain nameless isn't representing Miller well. Miller is ufortunately going to take the brunt of that mistruth, by saying the professional staff supports him, however i'm sure some do. However, there when no formal vote given to the professional staff on who they support in the first place. Talk about spinning the truth, yeah I have a pretty good idea of who wrote this blog, everyone knows the name of the person who went to that meeting and ran their mouth "pretending" that they represented the professional stff. What a joke.
pleasestoplying

Marina, CA

#11 Apr 9, 2010
I am a Sheriff's employee, I can tell you that most of us do not support Miller. I think there is one person at the Department that has caused a lot of problems that is talking for a lot of the employees. I never once have been asked who I endorse. The truth is there has been no official vote by civilian employees at the Sheriff's Office, but from what I have heard the majority of the support is for Fred Garcia.
444truth

Surprise, AZ

#12 Apr 10, 2010
Wait A Sec wrote:
<quoted text> There were less than 10 SEUI members at that meeting, one of whom gave Miller information and then asked a question regarding that information. Talk about shady! That "member" is quite a shady character who is out of touch with their whole membership and the department and was there on a person agenda. That person, who will remain nameless isn't representing Miller well. Miller is ufortunately going to take the brunt of that mistruth, by saying the professional staff supports him, however i'm sure some do. However, there when no formal vote given to the professional staff on who they support in the first place. Talk about spinning the truth, yeah I have a pretty good idea of who wrote this blog, everyone knows the name of the person who went to that meeting and ran their mouth "pretending" that they represented the professional stff. What a joke.
First you say you only know of two people supporting Miller, then you say there were 10. Which is it? You should get your facts straight before flip flopping on your comments. It would make you seem more credible. I don't know who you are referring to but I would suggest if you know for a fact that someone did something wrong or illegal, you call them out on it and hold them to the truth. Its much more productive to give the facts of what you know to be true and let the person respond, or else you are just slinging mud and I don't think this is the forum for that. Also, just as you said, much of the Sheriff's office professional staff is afraid to speak out on who they are supporting, so it makes sense that Miller supporters aren't broadcasting who they support. No one there wants to be retaliated against for not supporting Kanalakis. But if you keep waiting for someone to come up to you and ask you who you support, or to take a "formal" vote [so that you can be informed] that in itself says a lot.
FarFromOver

Salinas, CA

#13 Apr 10, 2010
Only the Deputy Sheriff's Association voted on who they wanted to endorse for Sheriff.

SEIU members at the Sheriff's Department made no such vote.

Neither Miller nor Garcia can claim the majority supports either, it hasn't been voted on.
Wait A Sec

Salinas, CA

#14 Apr 10, 2010
444truth wrote:
<quoted text>First you say you only know of two people supporting Miller, then you say there were 10. Which is it? You should get your facts straight before flip flopping on your comments. It would make you seem more credible. I don't know who you are referring to but I would suggest if you know for a fact that someone did something wrong or illegal, you call them out on it and hold them to the truth. Its much more productive to give the facts of what you know to be true and let the person respond, or else you are just slinging mud and I don't think this is the forum for that. Also, just as you said, much of the Sheriff's office professional staff is afraid to speak out on who they are supporting, so it makes sense that Miller supporters aren't broadcasting who they support. No one there wants to be retaliated against for not supporting Kanalakis. But if you keep waiting for someone to come up to you and ask you who you support, or to take a "formal" vote [so that you can be informed] that in itself says a lot.
Ok first of all, I said that there were less than 10 members of SEIU at the meeting, yet never did I say that they all were there supporting Miller, I said that I only knew of 2 publicly supporting him. Maybe you should pay more attention. SEUI has not publicly taken a vote on who they will be supporting and on that day it will come out on who the proffesional staff supports. You seem to already have made up your mind on who you are supporting and I have already made up mine. It would be nice to for the proeffesional staff and everyone else of the Sheriff's Office to know that Scott Miller plans on capping our retirements benefits and wages. It has been said a couple times by him already, so now which one of us is "misinformed." Scott Miller is a nice guy, but he's not for the Sheriff's Office.
anotherfinemess

Monterey, CA

#15 Apr 12, 2010
Wait A Sec wrote:
<quoted text> Ok first of all, I said that there were less than 10 members of SEIU at the meeting, yet never did I say that they all were there supporting Miller, I said that I only knew of 2 publicly supporting him. Maybe you should pay more attention. SEUI has not publicly taken a vote on who they will be supporting and on that day it will come out on who the proffesional staff supports. You seem to already have made up your mind on who you are supporting and I have already made up mine. It would be nice to for the proeffesional staff and everyone else of the Sheriff's Office to know that Scott Miller plans on capping our retirements benefits and wages. It has been said a couple times by him already, so now which one of us is "misinformed." Scott Miller is a nice guy, but he's not for the Sheriff's Office.
Capping benefits and salaries is a bid thing the way the budget is right now? I believe, if miller has indeed said such things, that you just gave the public the best reason to vote for him.
anotherfinemess

Monterey, CA

#16 Apr 12, 2010
pleasestoplying wrote:
I am a Sheriff's employee, I can tell you that most of us do not support Miller. I think there is one person at the Department that has caused a lot of problems that is talking for a lot of the employees. I never once have been asked who I endorse. The truth is there has been no official vote by civilian employees at the Sheriff's Office, but from what I have heard the majority of the support is for Fred Garcia.
I'm confused. Then who are those TEN people everyone else is talking about that showed up at the meeting, representing the SEIU, and voted to support him?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Castroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
East Garrison ... Gold or Ghetto? Aug 18 NoJigsPlease 1
Oxycodone (Feb '17) Aug 9 Pins n needles 2
Review: First Security Services (May '14) Jul 27 Bryan Obrien 40
Salinas Valley Food & Wine Festival Jul 23 howefortunate 1
Trump Pre Pardons Putin & Saudis Jul 22 Prez Newz Line 1
Poll Is 1460 AM Racist radio catering to TEABAGGERS? (Sep '10) Jul '17 Cabeza de Chavo6503 241
News Debate Over FISHERMANa S Wharf Continues Jun '17 Neal Peifer 1

Castroville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Castroville Mortgages