Letters: Wise words for politicians

Full story: Monterey County Herald

Seventy years ago, I worked for a nice old German fellow who owned a dairy. After we were done milking, we had to shovel out the manure.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Jun 2, 2010
Amused

Pacific Grove, CA

#1 Jun 1, 2010
I'll pass on light rail between Salinas and Monterey. Why make it easier for gangbangers to infiltrate the area?
roscoeshaus

United States

#2 Jun 1, 2010
they also ride bikes so no bike path either
PGjack

San Jose, CA

#3 Jun 1, 2010
I agree with Mr. Haddix. A very small percentage of bicyclists on the path are obnoxious. When there are thousands of tourists in the area, many on the dual use path any reasonable person would expect congestion. Many bicyclists seem to leave reason behind when they start to pedal. Bicyclists almost never stop at stop signs. They cruise through intersections as if drivers had some extra sense to tell them where cyclists are. They ride on sidewalks if it pleases them to do so. They pay virtually no attention to pedestrians in cross walks. They don't seem to realize that bicycles are nearly silent and cannot be heard by pedestrians or motorists. When riding in large packs bicyclists believe they are the only ones who have a right to the road. I used to have great sympathy for bicyclists but that has changed. If bicyclists would show some courtesy to the rest of us they might receive some in return.
pg_observer

Salinas, CA

#4 Jun 1, 2010
The rec trail problem isn't so much about bicyclists v. tourists. It's more like bicyclists v. everyone else (including slower bicycles).

This is a persistent problem that aggravates local pedestrians as well as tourists. On the Monterey side of David Avenue, the pedestrians & cyclists use the same area. On the Pacific Grove side of David, there are supposed to be dedicated lanes for riders and walkers, but most tourists and many residents are unaware of this division, so when they wander into the bike lane, they are lucky if they don't get knocked over by an indignant cyclist.

There is even a stretch near Lovers Point where the PG public works department failed to separate the walker/rider lanes merge into one when they did their post-storm repairs--further confusing the situation at a very busy party of the trail.

There have been cases where cyclists hit pedestrians as they pass. I know several people who were injured on the trail. And one of them was a dedicated cyclist out for a walk. He came to a city council meeting on crutches to say how aggressive some cyclists have become. And his wife was on the council at that time.

Both sides of the trail need the same rules of the road. And
Miriam

Seaside, CA

#5 Jun 1, 2010
I agree about standardized tests - they HELP no one, but the testing companies to make ill-gotten gains off the NCLB initiative. Kick them out, they have NO place in the education sphere when they only think about their bottom line - theirs!
ignoranceisbliss

Salinas, CA

#6 Jun 1, 2010
This is an untapped revenue source; license all cyclists over 18. If they want cars to share the road then they have to prove proficiency in the rules of the road.
Argus

Salinas, CA

#7 Jun 1, 2010
Most cyclists I know ride on the road rather than on the rec trail because the trail is just too crowded with people who don't pay the slightest attention to where they're going. I gave up riding on the trail when I realized that no matter how slowly and carefully I rode and no matter how much noise I made, people would still step directly into my path - even when they clearly saw me coming. And any contact between a cyclist and a pedestrian is, naturally, going to be considered the cyclist's fault. A friend of mine was injured when someone let their dog run across the path just in front of her, stretching a long leash across the trail that caused her to crash. The dog walker just walked on without even an apology.

As for stop signs, cyclists come to complete stops at them a lot more frequently than cars do. I've often wondered why bikes rolling through stop signs makes people so much more angry than cars doing the same thing. Whenever the subject of bikes comes up, someone is sure to complain about bikes running stop signs, but it's rare to read a complaint about how routine it is for cars to roll through stops.
Joscelyn

Salinas, CA

#8 Jun 1, 2010
I agree with all the comments regarding the self-centered bicyclists that use the bike path. I don't even feel comfortable taking my grandkids on their bikes on the publicly subsidized bike path in Pacific Grove to Seaside because I'm afraid they will be side-swiped by those fanatic, competitive bike riders who use the bike trail for race-training, I guess. I don't know the solution. It's just really disturbing!

As to the mud-slinging ads: It's true if you shovel manure, you might get manure flung back on you. Lie down with dogs and you'll get fleas. Kanalakis is desperate and his latest negative ad campaign against Scott Miller is pathetic. Public to Kano: No amount of negative ads or more signs is going to get you re-elected. I already voted for Miller and am gratified day after day that I made that choice. Everyone I talk to, hates those kind of ads. Stop it!!(Although I will feel a little satisfaction when Kanalakis loses this election in spite of the fact that he spent all that money on his negative ads.)
StinkinThinkin

Monterey, CA

#9 Jun 1, 2010
"As for stop signs, cyclists come to complete stops at them a lot more frequently than cars do. I've often wondered why bikes rolling through stop signs makes people so much more angry than cars doing the same thing. Whenever the subject of bikes comes up, someone is sure to complain about bikes running stop signs, but it's rare to read a complaint about how routine it is for cars to roll through stops."
Nobody wants to broadside a bike....certain death.....for the cyclist. If your life or quality of life means nothing....keeping blowing through the stop signs and HOPE nobody hits ya.
The person that kills ya....well, I wasn't their fault, but they will have to live with killing someone the rest of their lives nonetheless.
Cynthia Frincke

Carmel Valley, CA

#10 Jun 2, 2010
To the visitor from Modesto - you're not the only one who gets yelled at by bicyclists on the Rec Trail. I've crossed into the "bike" lane for only a few steps and get yelled at and I've lived here for 23-years. These are the same bicyclists who don't stop at STOP signs, don't STOP at traffic signals, bicycle three abreast down the street so a car behind them has to slow down, and yell and gesture rudely at people. Just yesterday I was walking the path on the PEDESTRIAN side and three times I had to get out of the way of a bicycle rider. Sorry you had a bad experience while visiting, not everyone is like that though.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Castroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 3 hr lechezz 4,998
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 6 hr Tank ever 7,926
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 6 hr landluber suck 200,576
Review: Salinas Pawn Shop 14 hr alexsgirl 1
Watsonville police nab 37 suspected taggers (Apr '09) Wed sorry 143
Monterey County will buy Capital One buildingMo... Wed dv philpott 1
Mills brothers face new lawsuits over loans (Nov '08) Tue Plain Simple 16
•••
•••
•••

Castroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••