Blind horse hits parked car, Lewis County Sheriff's Office reports

Feb 14, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Post-Standard

A blind horse was injured after it ran into a parked car Thursday afternoon, the Lewis County Sheriff's Office said.

Comments
1 - 20 of 49 Comments Last updated Mar 14, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

You're kidding me. I am not a horse person, but steering a blind horse into a parked car? Maybe something is amiss in this story; for one, it states this happened "Thursday afternoon" and the story was posted around 10 in the morning(?)

Is there a horse person out there that can help with explaining why someone would choose a blind horse to ride on Rt 12 and then not pay enough attention to where they steered the horse?
Just 4 Fun

Blue Mountain Lake, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Is this a case of the blind leading the blind? seriously we raised horses and did have a horse that was blind in one eye and we never used her for riding or pulling a cart. They tend to be too nervous for anything like that because they rely on their other senses. The amish seem to be good with horses and training them and thats why this doesnt seem correct.
dam

Carthage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

If a horse is blind and train to ignore noise. Nothing can spook it. Just an accident no diffrence then a car accident.
Liberty and Justice 4 All

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Let me start by saying this is not an attack on the Amish, I value and respect them. However, it is only common sense, to me anyway, that if the horse is blind, I don't take them down busy Rte 12 where too many buggy/vehicles have already happened. Use them in the fields to plow, but NOT as a means of transportation. Last week, there was the horse that died aside of the road while pulling a carriage. Did not cause an accident, but could have, and could have injured people. I think the Amish have an obligation to themselves, and to the rest of us to make sure the horses being used are in good physical health. I can't drive my car if my headlights don't work, and I won't drive my car if there are serious engine problems. Not much difference.
dam

Carthage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Cars break down and die aside the road all the time. I think of this as more of driving the car with your eyes closed. Not the horses fault but it is the drivers.
seriously.

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Amish need to take care of their horses.
blind

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

THEY FORGOT TO BRING THERE SEEING EYE DOG;;;;;
dam

Carthage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

They do take care of their horses, but accidents happen. So there's been one accident that they were at fault, with no injuries I may add. But how many cars have hit them? I think people need to take care of their cars.
seriously.

Port Leyden, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

dam wrote:
They do take care of their horses, but accidents happen. So there's been one accident that they were at fault, with no injuries I may add. But how many cars have hit them? I think people need to take care of their cars.
oh really? they take care of them? I've seen plenty with feet that are completely outgrown, they'll eventually trip over them and fall. I've seen plenty with sway backs. I've seen plenty limping, probably because they're in the process if foundering because they eat nothing but grass so they're coffin bone is rotating into their hoof wall. running horses miles in 80 degree weather with no water is a great way for horses to collapse and I bet the horses are just left out to pasture after that without being properly cooled out and running them in below 0 temperature is a great way to burst their lungs. people slow right down when they pass them but the horse freaks out because it can't see what is coming.
dam

Carthage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Funny I grew up with cart horses and sleigh horse. And maybe if you feel this you should contact athorities. Horses have been used for 100's of years in this conditions you listed. And no there have been 100 of accidents where cars are at fault. But blame the horses, oh wait are you one of the causes or are you one of their friends, just wondering.
seriously.

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

dam wrote:
oh and what does takin care of their cars have to do with them causing accidents with horses? irrelevant.
dude

Carthage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

I think he was saying since you said a blind horse caused the accident that car accidents are caused by bad cars. Making point its the drivers not the mode of transport.
ugh

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

[QUOTE who="seriously."] <quoted text>
oh really? they take care of them? I've seen plenty with feet that are completely outgrown, they'll eventually trip over them and fall. I've seen plenty with sway backs. I've seen plenty limping, probably because they're in the process if foundering because they eat nothing but grass so they're coffin bone is rotating into their hoof wall. running horses miles in 80 degree weather with no water is a great way for horses to collapse and I bet the horses are just left out to pasture after that without being properly cooled out and running them in below 0 temperature is a great way to burst their lungs. people slow right down when they pass them but the horse freaks out because it can't see what is coming.[/QUOTE]

For one, horses being fed only grass does not make them founder. I'm not sure what planet you live on. How many Amish people do you know? Perhaps you should review your horse breeds because saddlebreds have more swayed backs than other breeds which is a horse commonly used by the Amish. I should also point out, that it is state law to exercise due caution when approaching a horse, which includes slowing down and not using your horn. The way some people drive, I'm sure you'd freak out too if you were walking on the side of the road and someone blew by you and didn't slow down.
seriously.

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

ugh wrote:
oh really? they take care of them? I've seen plenty with feet that are completely outgrown, they'll eventually trip over them and fall. I've seen plenty with sway backs. I've seen plenty limping, probably because they're in the process if foundering because they eat nothing but grass so they're coffin bone is rotating into their hoof wall. running horses miles in 80 degree weather with no water is a great way for horses to collapse and I bet the horses are just left out to pasture after that without being properly cooled out and running them in below 0 temperature is a great way to burst their lungs. people slow right down when they pass them but the horse freaks out because it can't see what is coming."

For one, horses being fed only grass does not make them founder. I'm not sure what planet you live on. How many Amish people do you know? Perhaps you should review your horse breeds because saddlebreds have more swayed backs than other breeds which is a horse commonly used by the Amish. I should also point out, that it is state law to exercise due caution when approaching a horse, which includes slowing down and not using your horn. The way some people drive, I'm sure you'd freak out too if you were walking on the side of the road and someone blew by you and didn't slow down.
horses only eating grass is a leading cause of foundering. you may want to look into that. pretty sure I'm from lewis county and I know quite a few Amish families. Amish use basically any horse that is a dark bay. I was seen them using a quarter horse. and don't worry I asked before assuming.
really

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

horses only eating grass is a leading cause of foundering. you may want to look into that. pretty sure I'm from lewis county and I know quite a few Amish families. Amish use basically any horse that is a dark bay. I was seen them using a quarter horse. and don't worry I asked before assuming.[/QUOTE]

You may want to look into obesity being the leading cause, not grass. Since their horses are being used essentially every day that is not a main concern for them.
If you know the Amish so Well you must be friends with them. Some friend you are to bash them over a stupid article that never needed to be in the paper to begin with.
seriously.

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

really wrote:
horses only eating grass is a leading cause of foundering. you may want to look into that. pretty sure I'm from lewis county and I know quite a few Amish families. Amish use basically any horse that is a dark bay. I was seen them using a quarter horse. and don't worry I asked before assuming. "

You may want to look into obesity being the leading cause, not grass. Since their horses are being used essentially every day that is not a main concern for them.
If you know the Amish so Well you must be friends with them. Some friend you are to bash them over a stupid article that never needed to be in the paper to begin with.
did I say I was friends with them? nope. just said I knew quite a few, you may want to read a little closer next time. and how many horses have you completely ruined in your years of horseback riding. must be a lot.
really

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

I can read just fine. You just seem to know such intimate details that only someone who is friends with Amish families would know. Oh but you're from Lewis county. I'm sure you have an excellent education and solid credibility. Since you "know" all of these Amish families because you're from Lewis counry. Genius if you know so much about horses you wouldn't have made such an intelligent remark that grass causes founder. It's like saying Pepsi causes obesity. I didn't see DVM after your name either since you would like to diagnose their horses as you drive by.
seriously.

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

really wrote:
I can read just fine. You just seem to know such intimate details that only someone who is friends with Amish families would know. Oh but you're from Lewis county. I'm sure you have an excellent education and solid credibility. Since you "know" all of these Amish families because you're from Lewis counry. Genius if you know so much about horses you wouldn't have made such an intelligent remark that grass causes founder. It's like saying Pepsi causes obesity. I didn't see DVM after your name either since you would like to diagnose their horses as you drive by.
lets try I'm friends with people who live next door to Amish, so of course I walk my fat ass next door and check them out. I've been around horses for 19 years, I've done internships with local vets. I've seen enough to make a hypothesis. so before you try and act like you know me why don't you shut the eff up and go look at some of the horses. you will see exactly what I'm talking about. and just because I'm from lewis county doesn't mean I know absolutely nothing. go look at the other points I stated besides the foundering - like their feet, their backs and why they're being ran out in ridiculous weather.
really

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

When you've owned them for 25 years let me know. Unless your friends are neighbors with Mr. Kanagy I suggest YOU shut up. You really have no right to come on here and bash all Amish as if they all treat their horses the same.
grow up

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

really wrote:
When you've owned them for 25 years let me know. Unless your friends are neighbors with Mr. Kanagy I suggest YOU shut up. You really have no right to come on here and bash all Amish as if they all treat their horses the same.
and what do you even do with your horses? back yard ponies? and neighbors with who? a nobody? I have ALL rights to my opinions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Castorland Discussions

Search the Castorland Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Copenhagen Firemen's Field Day 2 min interested 17
Can anyone recommend a local forward thinking, ... 2 hr Iron Man 4
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 3 hr Fox News Commie 6,349
Lowville woman charged in alleged domestic inci... 6 hr Jail 5
Lewis County Fair 9 hr Yeah right 107
CBS Big Brother 13 hr Nicole fan 1
Lewis County 15 year plan 22 hr Wealthy Investor 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Castorland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••