Wonderin

Shreveport, LA

#1 Feb 19, 2009
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about what's the progress on the "rails to trails" project, and the proposed park in Castor?

Since: Jan 09

Saline Louisiana

#2 Feb 20, 2009
We rode it from Ashland to up above Jamestown the other day. I is pretty much a nature trail till you get above Castor, after that there are some pretty good mudhole to play in.
notice

United States

#3 Feb 27, 2009
it's not there for mud holes, it's for a nice ride and safe , want mud go to the creek!!
Beekeeper

Bossier City, LA

#4 Mar 23, 2009
We rode from Castor, south to where Hwy 9 crosses the trail. They need an RV park and camp ground in Castor. That way you can ride south one day, spend the night and ride north the second day. It would also be nice to put together some type of poker run.
Big Country

Shreveport, LA

#5 Mar 24, 2009
Beekeeper wrote:
We rode from Castor, south to where Hwy 9 crosses the trail. They need an RV park and camp ground in Castor. That way you can ride south one day, spend the night and ride north the second day. It would also be nice to put together some type of poker run.
Excellent idea

Since: Jan 09

Saline Louisiana

#6 Mar 25, 2009
A four wheeler poker run?
That is an excellent idea........count me in.
I wonder how we could organize one>?

Since: Mar 09

Little Rabbit, Austrila

#7 Mar 27, 2009
Note that you guys becareful, before you get to Hwy 154 in Ashland. I hear that them Clouds put tacs in a ole boys tires.
Hrmm

Rayville, LA

#8 Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, they did. They also shot at some friends of mine when they were riding behind their house on the trail. That was AFTER the Rails for Trails people made them move the big dirt pile they put in the middle of the trail to keep people from coming through. I think you have to have a piece of paper stating that you have paid a fee in order to ride on it now. I don't know if that actually went into effect, but we were told we had to have one. It was only about $25 a year I think. Not bad, really. And, if you get caught without it, you'll get a citation.

Just a thought!
Question

Shreveport, LA

#9 Sep 25, 2009
How is the trail for bike riding? Where do you have to get the "piece of paper" stating you have paid a fee?
livin it up in cowtown

Memphis, TN

#10 Jan 10, 2010
Jack Sullivan has the tickets at his store in Ashland. Bike riding is great on it.
Concerned citizen

United States

#11 Jan 15, 2010
You know it is a good trail to ride and have fun on ,but what most people do not realize that they have taken hundreds of acres of land that does not even belong to them. It is ashame that I have to pay money to ride on my own property.
livin it up in cowtown

Memphis, TN

#12 Jan 18, 2010
didn't it go to court to see who owned the railroad? I think that is the land that the trail was made on. Right? How can they not know who owned the railroad track land!
Concerned citizen

United States

#13 Jan 18, 2010
Well, Why is it that every landowner that has land beside the tracks still pay property taxes on this land. Also just for a little more info for you the original contract said that if the railroad was ever abandoned the land would go back to the original land owners. Just a little more info these people have claimed rights to 50ft on each side of the tracks, and the contract was only 25ft on each side.
One of them Clouds

Nacogdoches, TX

#14 Aug 29, 2010
So to clarify some things! No tacs were ever put in anyones tires and no one was ever shot at! My grandfather and uncle were both accused of waving guns at people on the trail, but neither ever had them. My grandfather was terminally ill and enjoying one his very last, yet difficult walks around his yard before becoming bed ridden, while dragging an oxygen tank I might add. While he was sitting in a chair some guys came by yelling obsenities and he shook his walking stick at them. They reported it to the cops saying he was pointing a gun at them. My uncle, who has been on crutches for years and is now completely wheelchair bound confronted some people that got off the trail and onto our private property, the reported it and claimed his crutch was a gun.
As for the big pile of dirt, we didnt put that there. You need to do some research into the guy that is the head of this rails to trails system. He gets millions of dollars in grant money to make improvements to this trail and so far has made absolutely none. The original deeds did state that if the railroad was dormant for a certain number of years it reverted to the original landowners, however a federal act in the 80's I believe changed this. We quit fighting this a long time ago. We did however fight when they tried to expand onto land that was not part of the rail right of way. If you notice on our land there is a big low spot on the trail...this low spot has been there for 100s of years and the railroad had to periodically build it back up after it washed out. People feel the need to play in it on their 4wheelers and make it worse, and it is a breeding ground for snakes. We tried to fill it in once to keep snakes away but all the mudders on it made this futile. The guy in charge then accused us of digging the hole there. We have accepted the trail a long time ago, but since we were the only ones who stood up to the bully in charge when he did wrong, he has sought us out. He hired a guy to come in and dig a hole across our drive a few years ago, cutting both water and phone lines and leaving a hole so deep it couldnt be driven across. We didnt sue the rails to trails program, we sued the guy in charge personally because he did this out of spite, it had nothing to do with the trail.
Someone should investigate this guy, he gets millions a year from these grants and POCKETS it. Its all a scam, and when it runs out of money and he cant scam anymore, what very little upkeep is being done on the trail will end and it will grow up into nasty thickets just like all the clear cut land around there.
But quit blasting my family...think how you would feel if you had people riding withing 100 feet of your house all hours of the night, or stopping and playing in mudholes right out your back door for hours at a time, yelling obsenities at your kids, tormenting your dogs, my family has owned that land for hundreds of years, this trail runs across the front of of our land, we have no way to access our land but to cross the trail yet they say the drive across it which has been there for more than a hundred years is new and we have to pay thousands of dollars a year to have it, think about the fact that the guy who paints himself as so grand is pocketing millions of dollars a year in grant money from this thing and using it to pay for personal things all while he torments your family for standing up to him, investigate the horrors that have occured on these trails in other states(murders, rapes, drug lords, gangs, etc) think about all this being right through the middle of your land, and then tell me you wouldnt fight as well. Its easy for people who dont live on it to enjoy it and have a good time on it and harrass people that live on it and then get mad at us for being upset about whats happening..But put yourself in our shoes and tell us if you would like it...until then dont trash my family or accuse us of things that are totally untrue!
yeayea

Shreveport, LA

#15 Sep 1, 2010
yep its true they got me too. they got two of my tires> brand new ones
WatchOut

Jena, LA

#16 Sep 2, 2010
Me too!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Castor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kelli T Feb 22 Really 2
bigfoot sightings (Jan '12) Feb 16 Elizabeth Morris 29
Nasty Feb 12 coondog 1
Travis Jinks (Jan '14) Feb 9 Mee 7
Things not to do Feb 3 All of Castor 1
Old perv Jan 28 worried 2
single women (May '11) Jan '17 LittleBrown 18

Castor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance