Since: Jul 07

Livin' in a little pink house

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2007

What is the city of Niles going to do about it, I wish it could simply be leveled. It just is about the worst thing to see a building just sitting there and looking so bad. I hope that sombody will read this and do something about revitalizing that side of town and put business back in there where it belongs.
Former NIles Native

Cordova, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

Judged:

Peaches,
I couldnt Agree More. It really makes me sick when i visit family there to drive past and see all of my childhood memorys boarded up. we used to get school clothes at J.c. Pennys and books and back packs at G.L. Perrys and my first Drivers licence there it just makes me sick. and I do wish someone would revitalize that side of town but i think reality is Niles is a dying town. look at Forlers Bakery sitting empty for years. and so many other buildings just sitting empyt also. I hate visiting Niles. I do have family still there but I still hate visiting Niles.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Spooledbseries

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2009

I live right by the place. The place is filled with black mold I helped clean the place out. I know there are a bunch of kids who go in there and do drugs and what not.
Cassie

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

how will the city pay to have it tore down?
KBT

Willowbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Cassie wrote:
how will the city pay to have it tore down?
Eastgate is in the township and they can not pay to have it torn down unless they use reserve money, get a grant from the state or have the bill added to the taxes. It must first be legally condemed.
Cassie

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2009

its not already condemned? why the heck not?
KBT

Willowbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2009

Cassie wrote:
its not already condemned? why the heck not?
I am not sure if it is or not but the last I knew the township was working on it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Court date set on Eastgate Plaza

NILES A hearing set for 9 a.m. March 11 in Berrien County Trial Court could go a long way in determining whether the boarded up strip mall known as the Eastgate Shopping Plaza will bite the dust this year.

Niles Township Supervisor Jim Kidwell said the township isn't looking for a demolition order at this point but hopes to obtain access to determine whether there's contamination that could affect demolition costs. Also, he said the township wants permission to install a barrier to help secure the premises.

Although the property owner, MoorPark Associates LLC in Van Nuys, Calif., has been notified, it's unknown whether it will have a representative in court, Kidwell said.

"If they don't show up, it'll automatically be defaulted," he said.

The township wants to demolish the buildings, erected some 60 years ago, and sell the property for future development. The mall has been vacant since the last business closed in 2007.
Current Niles Native

Vicksburg, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2010

It sure would be nice if it was just like the old days. Candy was cheap when I was a kid. So was pop. We didn't have any money though so we couldn't afford it. My dad worked at Simplicity and my mom was working at Lou-Anns market.
Robegg1971

Benson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2012

I am saddened by the leveling of Eastgate but I do not live in Niles anymore. It sounds like it was a breeding ground for problems and crime.I also got my Trapper Keeper at GL Perry every year. I played Video Games and got Groceries at Demond's. Fondly remember Cunningham Drugs and Perry Drugs. Ate at Plaza Restaurant lots of times. Opened my first bank account at the bank there and got my drivers license at the license bureau there. My father still lives there and I was home about a year ago. It seems like everything just moved out to 31. I guess it is the same story other small towns experience when Walmart comes to town.
Jen

Lorton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Does anyone know if the current (or previous) owners were reached regarding Eastgate? Does the property now belong to the township in some way? Who owns the actual land and how would anyone go about leasing for future businesses?
Gary Dresenburg

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Jen, The land is now being to a construction company working on a huge pipeline project.

http://leaderpub.com/2013/07/03/niles-twp-pre...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cassopolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
He having baby!! 3 hr Johnny Parrish 2
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) 12 hr Truthisgood 115
Debate: Gay Marriage - Niles, MI Wed cliff nelson 1
Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Aug 17 Capital Airlines 795
pedophile Aug 14 victim 1
Wanting to rent a home in country Aug 11 teddyann8886 1
Sobriety court about to become an option for dr... (Dec '11) Jul 24 slippin 2

Search the Cassopolis Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Cassopolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••