Father of shooting victim sues Cassel...

Father of shooting victim sues Casselberry gun range

There are 433 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 16, 2009, titled Father of shooting victim sues Casselberry gun range. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The father of a 20-year-old man shot to death by his mother at a gun range has filed a wrongful-death suit against the business.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
NonBeliever

AOL

#460 Apr 18, 2009
Lazar Bel wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know how to respond to her and remain polite, as you did. Good job. I'm glad someone answered her. Most of her ilk are arrogant and always malign gun owners as uneducated and backward. I assure her, like yourself, there are many of us that very well educated.
I'm smiling because her comment irritated me so much that I wasn't very concerned about remaining polite. Her implication that all gun owners are uneducated rednecks was impolite enough that I thought she deserved a response in kind. I guess if a mentally ill person in the throes of a delusion (or just your garden variety criminal) breaks into her home, she'll give him a time-out and a cup of tea, the read him a story. Thank you for your kind words.
Reality_Check

Kissimmee, FL

#461 Apr 19, 2009
Deno wrote:
<quoted text>
You miss the point. It doesn't have to be a huge payout. A nuisance suit often gets paid off just to 'go away' and even if its $20K instead of $2M the lawyer gets free advertisement and a paycheck - so its not just the jury. I saw the video and the fella in the lane next to this woman helped her with her piece seconds before the murder...guess he's next to be sued.
And because of the "point" no one in this country takes any personal responsibility for the stupid things they do and those who don't sue at every turn pay outrageous insurance premiums. Is this idiot going to sue himself for letting his son see his mother for 20 years?
crackerjackbandi t

United States

#462 Apr 19, 2009
Sorry for you loss, but sueing the gun range? I wish people would stop putting blame somewhere else. What action did YOU "dad" take to prevent this from happening? Wasn't the son aware that his mom was crazy? I do and I don't even know her. Why was he shooting with his crazy mom. Tragedy? YES Gun range responsible? HECK NO!
r hernandez

Austin, TX

#463 Apr 19, 2009
i feel for the family, but it is not right to sue the range. we are not, ANYWHERE. that has to be understood. last year, a young man from england, committed suicide at the range i go to. i was not there that day. difficult to calculate the problems people have and when they will snap. what the family needs is prayer. not money. with the economy the way it is, that may make things worse.
Move along now

Winter Garden, FL

#464 Apr 19, 2009
Seems like a nice example of "assumption of the risk" on the part of the son.

This case is predicated on the theory that the gun range knew she was mentally unstable and her own adult son didn't.
Wyatt Earp

Palm Coast, FL

#465 Apr 19, 2009
This certainly isnt the kind of situation the father should lose his head over!
MaryLou

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#466 Apr 19, 2009
Reality_Check wrote:
At 20, this is a man. The man was old enough to know of his mother's history. He made a decision to go to the gun range with his mother. 2 words....personal responsibility.
Did family members know they were going? By this way of thinking, lawsuits should be filed against them too.
I totally agree with you!
semi

Milpitas, CA

#467 Apr 19, 2009
Just another b.s. lawssuit
newscensorboi

Chicago, IL

#468 Apr 20, 2009
Even if the jury finds fault, when the blame is assessed, it's going 90% to the mother and 10% to the range. Then the range will be dismissed from the damages phase. This is a nusance suit to try to get a few grand settlement.
Patti

Orlando, FL

#469 Apr 21, 2009
The Range isn't responsible: The Nutjob is.
CPD didn't do anything illegal or wrong. FL Law has made the release of such evidence as videotapes ect. totally legal. FL has a liberal public records policy. I live practically across the street from Shoot Straight, they aren't a problem. I feel for them, this is a couple of times in the past 12 months bad things have happened in there or in front(fatal motorcycle wreck)that have severely impeded their business.If any one should sue for damages, it is Shoot Straight!
I Never Thought

Fort Ogden, FL

#471 Apr 21, 2009
I am a legal gun owner and I support Shoot Straight. I don't believe their actions caused these deaths.

I also believe that attorneys are fueling the fire of the instantaneous sensationalism generated in this era by newspapers, news stations and the internet. Just take a look at the Morgan and Morgan website!

I believe all of this allows anyone to feel they too can get full from the feed bags of society and get something lacking in their life be it money, fame, or validation of "yes, I am a victim", etc.

But, I would have to say: "Please show compassion and get educated on subjects you have no "personal" or in-depth knowledge about before speaking"!

1. Stop calling those who are suffering with mental illness a "nutjob", "crazy", "insane" whatever! These are human beings who are suffering through no fault of their own. People who at one time were happy, smart and engaged in society while having their whole life in front of them.

2. If you think it is so easy to have a grown adult with mental illness locked up or to even get the quality treatment they need... think again!

3. And for those of you who agree these people should be under a doctor's care.. read the article how mental illness funding is being cut!

4. If you really care, then do something other than blogging on here!! Do you part and Help Out!

There are lots of ways to help if you will only get out of your chair.

You can live in a trailer or a mansion. Mental illness can strike anyone and at anytime!
DennisS

Alliance, OH

#472 Apr 22, 2009
I Never Thought wrote:
I am a legal gun owner and I support Shoot Straight. I don't believe their actions caused these deaths.
I also believe that attorneys are fueling the fire of the instantaneous sensationalism generated in this era by newspapers, news stations and the internet. Just take a look at the Morgan and Morgan website!
I believe all of this allows anyone to feel they too can get full from the feed bags of society and get something lacking in their life be it money, fame, or validation of "yes, I am a victim", etc.
But, I would have to say: "Please show compassion and get educated on subjects you have no "personal" or in-depth knowledge about before speaking"!
1. Stop calling those who are suffering with mental illness a "nutjob", "crazy", "insane" whatever! These are human beings who are suffering through no fault of their own. People who at one time were happy, smart and engaged in society while having their whole life in front of them.
2. If you think it is so easy to have a grown adult with mental illness locked up or to even get the quality treatment they need... think again!
3. And for those of you who agree these people should be under a doctor's care.. read the article how mental illness funding is being cut!
4. If you really care, then do something other than blogging on here!! Do you part and Help Out!
There are lots of ways to help if you will only get out of your chair.
You can live in a trailer or a mansion. Mental illness can strike anyone and at anytime!
I agree with some of your thoughts,

Morgan and Morgan did and will move in at the first opportunity they have, as did one of their attorneys in this case to represent the so called dad.

News agencies do not and never have needed legal firms/attorneys to increase the sensationilism of there so called news they put forth,,, whatever the outlet.

All the other politically correct BS you are speaking of, take a pill. In this country as with your right to 'be a legal gun owner"; other rights allow the "right of free speech", and with that you have the right to not like what is said, however you don't have the right to tell me, what the F I can say, or when I can say it.

I do agree with your call for service to others, and commend you for your efforts!
I Never Thought

Fort Ogden, FL

#473 Apr 23, 2009
DennisS wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with some of your thoughts,
Morgan and Morgan did and will move in at the first opportunity they have, as did one of their attorneys in this case to represent the so called dad.
News agencies do not and never have needed legal firms/attorneys to increase the sensationilism of there so called news they put forth,,, whatever the outlet.
All the other politically correct BS you are speaking of, take a pill. In this country as with your right to 'be a legal gun owner"; other rights allow the "right of free speech", and with that you have the right to not like what is said, however you don't have the right to tell me, what the F I can say, or when I can say it.
I do agree with your call for service to others, and commend you for your efforts!
I too agree with the "right to free speech". I am just tired of all of the cussing and nastiness people blurt out. I believe that is part of the problem with today's society. People don't thing twice about and yelling obscenities at each other!

If people would only treat each other with more courtesy, respect and appreciation, AND; pass those values along to their kids. I can only keep hoping.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min flack 1,580,163
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 9 hr Murphey_Law 513,421
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 hr Beams 63,943
*great oaks village* (Oct '09) 20 hr Tina 30
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 20 hr zazz 98,474
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 21 hr Princess Hey 9,808
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 23 hr Princess Hey 13,059

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages