Father of shooting victim sues Cassel...

Father of shooting victim sues Casselberry gun range

There are 433 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 16, 2009, titled Father of shooting victim sues Casselberry gun range. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The father of a 20-year-old man shot to death by his mother at a gun range has filed a wrongful-death suit against the business.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Since: Feb 09

Oviedo, FL

#27 Apr 17, 2009
I expected this, didn't her relatives sue too? Money for everyone.
Proud2BaFirefigh terswife

Richardson, TX

#28 Apr 17, 2009
TIFFY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey IDIOT, Don't twist the facts around. The whole point is, it WAS his mother and the family knew she was a PSYCHO and yet choose to ignore it!! They are the only ones that the blame should fall on. Oh, and of course the ambulance chasing low life of a Lawyer that they obtained.
You said it perfect. Maybe the father should be sued for not protecting his son from the crazy "B".
Move along now

Winter Garden, FL

#29 Apr 17, 2009
AnnePage wrote:
The son was well aware of his Mother's mental instability... but HE choose to go to a gun range with her.
At twenty years of age, he should have known better... and so should the family.
Considering THEIR past knowledge... and the family's unwillingness to aid her, I think the Gun Range has a good reason to sue her family for their culpability in the matter.
As tacky as it would seem, the range has more of a case against the 2 dead people than their families have against the range. They should consider counterclaims to drive these suits away.

The problem with these lawsuits isn't judges or lawyers. It's juries.
Nobody gets a huge payout without morons on a jury to award it.

Since: Jan 09

Tel Aviv-Yafo

#30 Apr 17, 2009
NonBeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter WHO the victim is, the shooting range is not responsible. However, given that the victim knew the shooter and her mental status, he also holds some responsibility. Common sense should have told him that taking crazy mom to a gun range wasn't a good idea.
I think he holds all the responsibility. Mother or not, you don't allow mentally unstable individuals access to firearms. He must have known she was going downhill? I haven't much experience - make that no experience - with mentally ill people, but surely she could not have have hidden that level of paranoia? There had to be some symptoms.
hmmmm

De Kalb, MS

#31 Apr 17, 2009
...of course he is gonna sue, it's the un-American way to sue somebody for something that wasn't their fault. <shaking head> this country is just circling the toilet.
Matt

San Antonio, TX

#32 Apr 17, 2009
Yet another example of parasite lawyers.

Shakespeare had it spot on.
hmmmm

De Kalb, MS

#33 Apr 17, 2009
and why stop here. She had to drive a car to the store so you have to sue the car manufacturer because they should have known that someone could use their product to drive to a crime. Makes just as much sense.
redgator

Windermere, FL

#34 Apr 17, 2009
wish i had the defense on this one
NonBeliever

AOL

#35 Apr 17, 2009
Lazar Bel wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he holds all the responsibility. Mother or not, you don't allow mentally unstable individuals access to firearms. He must have known she was going downhill? I haven't much experience - make that no experience - with mentally ill people, but surely she could not have have hidden that level of paranoia? There had to be some symptoms.
I was a mental health nurse for over ten years. I can assure you that everyone who knew this woman knew she was nuts....including the ex-husband who is now seeing a meal ticket in his son's death, courtesy of the slimeball John Morgan. That creep will take any ridiculous case to get his name in the paper!!
Chris

United States

#36 Apr 17, 2009
Well isn't this a hoot! Apparently the gun range now needs to schedule everybody with a psychologist and give everybody a Wonderlic test before allowing them to step foot inside the building. This company has done nothing wrong. The act was comitted by one disturbed person and she could have done it anywhere, anytime, but conveniently had the opportunity to do so at Shoot Straight.
One greedy schmuck

Orlando, FL

#38 Apr 17, 2009
And some screwball jury will give him a bundle of money.
sick

Madison, OH

#39 Apr 17, 2009
You failed to protect your son from the woman you had a child with. I am truly sorry you lost your son but get real . Sue, sue, sue. Blame anyone but yourself and live on easy street.
word_up

Charlotte, NC

#41 Apr 17, 2009
What a fool. I guess money will help ease the pain of his son's death. Body isn't even cold yet and this guy is filing a lawsuit, how sickening.
Harry Coverston

Sanford, FL

#42 Apr 17, 2009
Marie Moore left behind notes and audio recordings saying that God had turned her into the Antichrist and as a consequence, she had to kill her son and herself to save the world. "I don't know how this all happened. It's not in the Bible," she said in recordings. "I'm a good person. But the Devil and God turned me into the worst person in the world. I'm so ashamed. And I'm so afraid."

Poor tortured soul. Perhaps the better action would be to sue the church that taught this woman such fear and self-loathing.
Harry Coverston

Sanford, FL

#44 Apr 17, 2009
p.s. America - have we killed enough people to admit we have a problem yet?
John

Winter Garden, FL

#45 Apr 17, 2009
Diogenes wrote:
If her family thinks she was so deranged that Shoot Straight should not have let her in then why did her own family let her out of the house or possibly get her committed?
Maybe Shoot Straight should sue them for letting her leave the house. They knew she had a problem and Shoot Straight didn't.
That is what I was thinking.
WFT

Longwood, FL

#46 Apr 17, 2009
casselberry again wrote:
Maybe CPD needs to be sued by spreading false rumors, and releasing the video to be aired, which is all over the internet, which now the family has to live through for the rest of their lives.
CPD didn't spread any false rumors, the facts of the case speak for themselves, what are you talking about.

Regarding the video, the police have no choice but to release things to the media when they file a public records request. They have to. Sunshine law. They could be sued if they didn't.

Blame the media for their lack of ethics and compassion for actually AIRING the full video, not CPD for complying with the law that they have to provide it.
Deno

Fellsmere, FL

#47 Apr 17, 2009
Move along now wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with these lawsuits isn't judges or lawyers. It's juries.
Nobody gets a huge payout without morons on a jury to award it.
You miss the point. It doesn't have to be a huge payout. A nuisance suit often gets paid off just to 'go away' and even if its $20K instead of $2M the lawyer gets free advertisement and a paycheck - so its not just the jury. I saw the video and the fella in the lane next to this woman helped her with her piece seconds before the murder...guess he's next to be sued.
Random

West Monroe, LA

#48 Apr 17, 2009
Too bad she didn't just kill herself that first time she made the attempt. I feel so bad for her son.
Boo

United States

#49 Apr 17, 2009
READ and THINK ABOUT IT wrote:
<quoted text>
If the shooter had been a stranger and not his mother would you still feel the father would have no right to sue.
I would think that if my son was shot dead, I could sue the place where he was killed.
If someone is killed on MY property, I would get sued.
And that menatality is what is wrong with this country. The person who shot the boy is the person at fault. People are responsible for actions and all of the foam padding in the world isn't going to keep nut jobs from doing what they want to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Casselberry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 23 min Lon Spector 512,925
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 46 min Henry 1,497,041
News Leader of Orlando-area motorcycle club assaulte... (Nov '07) 1 hr Hooah 763
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 5 hr zazz 98,345
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 8 hr Doug77 19,499
News In the 1930s, LI family raised pet chimp (Feb '09) 9 hr JackieGP 9
Song Title Game (Apr '15) 11 hr Princess Hey 514

Casselberry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Casselberry Mortgages